• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y Beta Competition Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Having an awful run with the tournament now. My rating plummeted from the near 1600's down to 1500-ish. Almost every single loss has been a team using a Mega Kangaskhan, annoyingly enough (I can beat the Kangaskhan, though). One team with Kanga and Blaziken spelled my loss before the battle began. Also lost a team against a Mega Gengar all because of hax, otherwise I'd have won.

I know my team isn't the greatest, but 13-13 record is a lot worse than I was expecting. Still some time to come back, but I'm taking a break for today. All these Mega Kangaskhans are really getting in the way of the fun.

Mega Typhlosion

Hi all. After a very unstable form yesterday (something like WLWLWLWL lol) I managed a very good run today with only one defeat so far. My record is now 15-7 and the team is getting better and better. My luck has been better today, with some nice critical hits to compensate for the Flamethrower burns, Rock Slide flinches, Heat Wave misses, Thunderbolt paralyzes and fully-paralyzed-three-turns-in-a-row status, that seem to always happen when it matters the most lol

I know I'll probably get into a losing spree sometime so better enjoy now xD

I'm happy to be able to defeat the usual goodstuffs teams, which always gave me trouble in the past. Btw, where is Hitmontop? :O It was in almost every single team, alongside Tyranitar, Garchomp and Rotom, but I haven't faced one so far (unlike the other three...).

I never found any Same Species pokemon in this tournament yet. I done my 20 with a good start. Sadly, I seem to have bad luck when it comes to my Mawile Destroyer as every time it came out, I got outmatched or they purposely weakened it to finish it off with mega Mawile. One case, It flinched to a partner pokemon.

I battled a guy with two Smeargles. It wasn't a problem. He only used one and it was OHKOed anyway. It was quite surprising to see that tbh...

I don't know about you guys, but I've been seeing a few teams that are utter trash. To give you an idea of how bad their stats are, I faced a Noivern that was actually outsped by my Kanga... lol wut

Don't get me wrong, I've had some really good battles against real competitive teams, plus a couple sets that absolutely destroyed me after one wrong move, but I wonder how many people are in this that don't know the difference between an IV and a Snivy...

10 left to go for today. 7-3 so far, 18-12 overall.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I know I faced at least 2 in-game teams yesterday. I haven't quite started my battles for today. A lot of times you can tell if it is a serious team just by what Pokemon they are using. It is further easier to tell when it starts giving the random stats like eggs hatched, times Pokemon evaluated.

What I do to get rid of Kangaskhan is usually focus both of my attacks on it unless I have Machamp out. Also, once it is weakened, I have Talonflame finish it off.

What I do to get rid of Kangaskhan is usually focus both of my attacks on it unless I have Machamp out. Also, once it is weakened, I have Talonflame finish it off.[/QUOTE]

Also burns... burns help A LOT! My Rotom-W's primary burn targets are Mega-Kanga and Mega Mawile.

Mega Typhlosion

I usually Encore their Fake Out after protecting the first turn, which forces the switch and makes it useless for a turn or two. Then it gets easier once I'm set up. Mega Kangaskhan was never a problem, I think the worst enemies I have are weather changing mons like Tyranitar and Politoed that cripple my MegaZard Y. Garchomp and Salamence are also threats but they can be dealt with easily if I set up correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some really good battles against real competitive teams, plus a couple sets that absolutely destroyed me after one wrong move, but I wonder how many people are in this that don't know the difference between an IV and a Snivy...

Don't take this the wrong way, but some people actually play for fun and they have as much right as you to battle online. I use my favorites and make them competitive. Some people don't care about competitive, they're just here for the fun of battling. I have a lot of respect for people that introduce variety and unpredictableness instead of using the same OU Pokemons over and over again (like Tyranitar, Garchomp and Rotom).

Last edited:

Sorry if I came off sounding elitist. I just don't feel right about dominating a statistically weaker team, like I didn't really earn the win. Plus, it's probably not all that fun for the trainer on the receiving end. I'm not saying they don't have a right to participate and have fun, but...

Gah! I have no idea where I'm going with this...

Aaaaanyway, Day 2 is done, and I'm ahead of my goal!

12-8 for the day, 23-17 overall!

The star of the show is definitely the latecomer to the party, Porygon 2! He literally dropped into my lap while I was trying to breed a Gliscor for the competition. I Wonder Traded a group of Gligar and a Porygon came in that had IV markings on everything but speed, and a Calm nature. I thought "Naw, couldn't be!" and checked with Judge. Sure enough, it had 5 IVs! I went ahead and EV trained it, evolved it, and set it up for battle, figuring it would definitely fill in the bulky tank role left by Cresselia.

I know what you're saying: "Why didn't you go ahead with the Gliscor?" The answer is that time was running short, and I had to have something in less than 24 hours, soooo... yeah.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I'm at 25-15 after day two. As usual, multiple losses were due to hax. What I do find funny is that I beat more of the high rated players than the lower ones. Maybe because my team is more prepared for the bigger threats.

My very last match was against an 1802 rated person. Turn 1 they did Protect with Garchomp and Tailwind with Talonflame. I had opted for Protect with Gengar in case of Brave Bird and Rock Slide with Mega Tyranitar. Of course I would end up missing the Talonflame so a perfect start was ruined. It went all downhill from there, though I'm not sure about how legit their Togekiss was considering it OHKO'd my full HP Garchomp with Dazzling Gleam. Too tired to do the calc now, but I would have expected to survive that. They also critted so one of my other Pokemon got OHKO'd by his Garchomp. Hax was definitely out to get me that battle.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I run Modest Togekiss with 252 SpAtt and that still doesn't OHKO full HP Garchomp. Not sure what's going on there, unless it's somehow Specs. Then again, weird stuff isn't uncommon. I myself go with Super Luck over Serene Grace, and it's not a bad move on my part. Probably should have gone with Scope Lens for more fun.

Well I started getting more wins, but the server is not cooperating me, disconnecting me from the server every other battle. I find it hard to believe that it's my connection that's the problem, since I was fine yesterday, but my only two losses recorded today are from communication with the server being interrupted in battles I was winning. Now I'm 18-15 when I should be 20-13. At least I'm not sub-1500 anymore, I guess.

It's definitely a Specs Togekiss. Assuming Modest nature and Specs,

252+SpA Specs Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4HP/0SpD Garchomp 468-552 (130.7 - 154.1%) Guaranteed OHKO.

Mega Typhlosion

The only thing I hate about Togekiss is Follow Me when I'm trying to Taunt someone else, or when I'm Dragon Pulsing a Garchomp :p

I am at 16-8 now, but should be 17-8, since my last opponent disconnected --' He was a hgh 1600's, should learn to lose. Do any of you guys know if they will give me the win?

EDIT: Forgot to fill the form lol

OT: Nuno
Age Division: Master
Team: Mega Charizard Y (shiny) | Salamence | Hydreigon | Sawsbuck | Whimsicott | Typhlosion
Nicknames: No nicknames

Last edited:

old man

On Guard!!!
This is the worst I've ever done in a tourny.... I mean flat out bad horrible. I've lost over 60% often matches. Mind you I didn't make that great of a team an tried something new. So back to the drawing board

Halkel

Experimentalist
Alright, this is ridiculous. Here's what happened. Twice in the tournament I tried to Mega Evolve Ampharos and it didn't in one battle, third time it finally did when it was at a pinch. The button was clearly active when I selected a move. Another battle, using Mega-Ampharos to use Power Gem against a Avalugg. Used Thunderbolt instead (the 4th move, Power Gem is the first). Finally, I hit my quota of 40 Battles today, Get another 2 for some reason, and was kicked from the second abruptedly. I dunno how that happened at all, and I didn't even use a cheating device too bypass it. The first of the two battles was to check my quota because I lost count. The second, Accidentally hit yes because I flinched to a cat who likes to bite my ankles. I wrote a complaint to Tech Support about the last **** up in the Test Tournament. Why did they remove the cancel button from WiFi? I bet I'm gonna be disqualified for this. I'm so angry right now.

SirRob

Not a pervert
Is there something wrong with your touch screen calibration, Halkel? That sounds really odd.

My singles team has been surprisingly successful in the competition. Even though I only have a couple wins more than I do losses, I've managed to maintain that through the whole thing-- it's the same sort of record I have in ranked singles. Most of my losses come from me messing up more than anything else, but I'm getting better at predicting doubles strategies.

I wonder if I've fought any of you guys? I'm using Gyarados, Garchomp, M-Lucario, Roserade, Sylveon and Zoroark.

Growlie19

Bleh. 7-10 right now. Too many mega-Khans right now, which my team can't really handle. Wash-Rotom and Greninja are downed fairly easily, but Kangaskhan are tricky.

So far, my MVPs are Mega Absol and Espeon. Rhydon is an honorable mention. Poor Hawlucha can't catch a break, though.

All finished. Ended up 34-26. Pretty proud of my debut performance!

People on Smogon are claiming to have seen possible hacked or transferred Pokémon during the competition. Stuff like Bug Bite Scizor and the like. I can't claim to have seen anything like that, but what about the rest of you?

Duney

Man, I'm not being able to compete. I keep getting this: "An error has occurred. Communication with the other Trainer was interrupted." What's up with that, anyone else seeing this quite a bit?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Man, I'm not being able to compete. I keep getting this: "An error has occurred. Communication with the other Trainer was interrupted." What's up with that, anyone else seeing this quite a bit?

Wait really? So I'm not the only one. It's definitely been annoying me, since it's cost me a few battles and resulted in two losses that should have been my win. I don't know if I can really afford to battle with that error happening nearly every time I connect to Battle Spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.