• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y: Worldwide Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwitchyAssTaillow

Funny, I was actually searching for possible 6th gen Pokemon a couple weeks ago, and of course... you get those fake pokemon to show up.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
It will certainly be an experience that is for sure. I will miss searching the internet for tidbits of information about the game while I am waiting for it to come out in the US. But it's a beautiful thing, we all get to enjoy a game as an entire world now instead of one after another.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Well, Masuda wanted to release a game that we didn't know anything about a-la red and blue, a game that would surprise us completely...and 80% of the fandom (myself included, no stones thrown in this glass house) ignored him and glutted ourselves on spoilers for B/W. And that was before they were even released in Japan.

Well, he's getting the last laugh now. If we want X or Y on release day, as a lot of fans will, we don't get any walkthroughs or people hacking the crap out of the game and reporting back first. We don't get any year in advance to plan our full teams, or kindly people who have the Japanese versions to take pity on us and send us over eggs for pokemon that don't appear until late-game. Nope, we gotta go in completely blindfolded and play it like noobs, making do with whatever leaks we can scrounge or whatever scraps of info they choose to throw at us in the meantime. I must say - well played, Mr Masuda, Well played sir :p

In all seriousness, though, I'm impressed by this move. It's got to cost extra work and manpower to pull off a worldwide simultaneous release, and they probably aren't getting any more money from it. This is a much-appreciated nod to the loyal fans who live outside of Japan, and I can only hope this is the start or a trend whereby we get everything pokemon-related (at least gamewise) that japan do. After all, are we not paying for the games and consoles just as much as they are?

confuser987

Hey, if the games were released in the Eshop would you buy them? Although it can be pricier than buying a physical cartridge, it would be easier to carry around.

Perhaps they will make it easier for people to transfer from previous generations. turn your Gen VI game and while a previous Gen is inserted. That way you don't need to use a friend's 3ds.

Torpoleon

Seems a bit weird knowing that now that Japan is getting the games at the same time as everyone else, I wont have to worry too much about reading Serebii's Discoveries because I'll have my own copy of the game to play. Japan getting the games first with everyone else a few months later was a nice way to get a head start on planning my team though.

mr_brightside

Guitarist
Well, Masuda wanted to release a game that we didn't know anything about a-la red and blue, a game that would surprise us completely...and 80% of the fandom (myself included, no stones thrown in this glass house) ignored him and glutted ourselves on spoilers for B/W. And that was before they were even released in Japan.

Well, he's getting the last laugh now. If we want X or Y on release day, as a lot of fans will, we don't get any walkthroughs or people hacking the crap out of the game and reporting back first. We don't get any year in advance to plan our full teams, or kindly people who have the Japanese versions to take pity on us and send us over eggs for pokemon that don't appear until late-game. Nope, we gotta go in completely blindfolded and play it like noobs, making do with whatever leaks we can scrounge or whatever scraps of info they choose to throw at us in the meantime. I must say - well played, Mr Masuda, Well played sir :p

In all seriousness, though, I'm impressed by this move. It's got to cost extra work and manpower to pull off a worldwide simultaneous release, and they probably aren't getting any more money from it. This is a much-appreciated nod to the loyal fans who live outside of Japan, and I can only hope this is the start or a trend whereby we get everything pokemon-related (at least gamewise) that japan do. After all, are we not paying for the games and consoles just as much as they are?

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think the worldwide release will bring us closer as a fandom, with everyone working at the same rime, knowing just as much as everyone else. I think we'll start to see a change in the way people interact in this fandom, and I'm so excited to see this happen. Brilliant move by the people at Nintendo/GameFreak

Cressy

I'm not to excited about the starters...they don't even look like they're real. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. And the only gen where I've spoiled the game for myself was Platinum and White. All other gens were a total mystery for me. I quite enjoyed not knowing what was going to happen or know where I needed to go or which path to take. (victory road)

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer

People wil still hack the games and people will still search the internet for spoilers before buying it. People will still plan their team's in advance. Not everyone will be able to get it on release day. :p

That being said, October is the month of my birthday, and my University has a Gamestop in it. I'll likely be able to get it and play as soon as it comes out. xD

ChinpokomonOh?

I really hope this means we get the same events as japan, because I'm sick of them getting all the good ones while USA gets screwed.

EnragedSwalot

I love the worldwide release! I finally won't spoil the games by reading through the serebii coverage! Haha!
Nah, just kidding, I love the serebii game coverage.

Pilpulp

美的
Yeah a lot of people will probably just read the news leading up to the games release and then stop there, play the games, then go read on the site. That's what I'm doing, this year will be a suprise!

Edit: I just remembed, it's january, 10 months? Oh no.

ConUxie223

Kalos Trap Queen
So, according to your logic, they included the DNA strand on the Japanese logo just because they felt like putting a random DNA strand there then?

Also Pokemon has always had things that the younger audience would never understand, such as EV's and IV's (even though they were arguably introduced in Gen III), and the Cloyster + Onix double battle Young Couple sex joke in HG/SS, and the fact that no one under 3rd grade actually reads any of the text in a Pokemon game (have you seen them ever play? They just mash the A button constantly)
No, according to my logic it could mean something else that we dont know about, while the strand may look like something it could mean something completely different in the games but your making the assumption that it means something before any confirmation is given... My "speculation" is that it means X-axis because having something with a male and female contrast is too adult for the younger audience of the series. And every example that you gave me was minor and can be easily argued as you dont know that children dont understand IV or EV training as their has never been a survey or research on it so to say they dont know what it is pretty bold. And the little innuendo hints is nothing, European are way more open about sex than America (I know this) but I cannot see a game about a complicated and confusing topic like DNA being the theme of a Pokemon game :/

Biology and DNA is more complicated than 3rd grade math... While some players may understand it, the assumption could be made that some players dont so why use such a theme for a series also aimed (if not mainly) aimed for children.

ebevan91

Yeah a lot of people will probably just read the news leading up to the games release and then stop there, play the games, then go read on the site. That's what I'm doing, this year will be a suprise!

Edit: I just remembed, it's january, 10 months? Oh no.

I'm perfectly fine with October. I have barely touched White 2 and I have games from the past 2 Steam sales that I haven't even played yet.

The longer the better really. Less likely the games will be rushed.

Last edited:

flyer1228

Novice Shiny Hunter
It's great to have it be relased on the same day around the world. I suppose it'll prevent hacks/spoilers for people so that's good. I dislike how they have this released so early. I mean Pokemon Black and White 2 hasn't even been out that long!

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Honestly though, I should have seen something like this coming, if you look at the time between releases for Japanese games to make it to the States, the time has consistently decreased as technology has improved and the years wear on.
Pokemon Red took 2 1/2 years to make it over to the states. They seemed to have reached sort of a peak with the turnaround time being about 5/6 months, but this makes sense.
I agree, this is definitely a new frontier for everyone.

Chimchar15

Seems a bit weird knowing that now that Japan is getting the games at the same time as everyone else, I wont have to worry too much about reading Serebii's Discoveries because I'll have my own copy of the game to play. Japan getting the games first with everyone else a few months later was a nice way to get a head start on planning my team though.

Yeah this just hit me as well. I always would see the entire dex and plan my team but with a simultaneous release that goes out the window. Which scares me a little because I'm very ridged when it comes to making my team so I'll probably for the first time ever buy a guide when the games release. Outside that I love the worldwide release and it shows that we've really come a long way. They must've pulled out some stops to make this happen and it's really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.