• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y: Worldwide Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
How long would it take for the game to download though. Would it not be quicker to just buy the cartridge? Are there any advantages for eshop download, other than you can do it from home?

It really depends on your ISP. But even if you have a really fast connection, downloading it on launch day is really slow. Considering the size of the game, it might take an hour or two.

As for advantages, it's just the ease and convenience. Since Pokemon is the type of game you would normally play on a daily basis, having a digital copy of the game would be great. Still, it depends on the player's preference. I prefer getting a digital copy because retail copies are far more expensive in where I live.

GerudoPrince

Desert Glider
It really depends on your ISP. But even if you have a really fast connection, downloading it on launch day is really slow. Considering the size of the game, it might take an hour or two.

As for advantages, it's just the ease and convenience. Since Pokemon is the type of game you would normally play on a daily basis, having a digital copy of the game would be great. Still, it depends on the player's preference. I prefer getting a digital copy because retail copies are far more expensive in where I live.

Cool, that's interesting. Didn't know the cost varied with digital copies, but I guess it does depend on where you are. I'll be getting the cartridge though. I need a box to hold :)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I know but.
The Legend Of Zelda 3DS was also a big game and did have 2,000 blocks?

This game must be massive...

Big? Nah, 1.7GB is not that far off from what than I was expecting. There are Bigger 3DS games out there: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386209/features/just-how-much-space-do-nintendos-games-take-up/

LoZ: Ocarina of Time 3ds is 3693 Blocks on my 3DS. That game is based on a N64 game which could only hold so much data.

I'm Glad I got the 16GB SD card when I did. Since they're about £10.00, I'm not going to complain about the price of them when they're 1/3rd of a New game.

I have a PSP and use Steam. The PSP has been basicly been download only for the last few years. PSP games are locked at 1GB due to the size of the UMD, some of the best games on the PSP encouraged a Data install option, which basicly copies the game on the PSP memory card. Many games on Steam are about 4GB or 8GB, as they're just the exact same as their Xbox 360 version. Currently the biggest game I own that is not a MMO or a game in development, is Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition at 25GB!

EDIT:
Cool, that's interesting. Didn't know the cost varied with digital copies, but I guess it does depend on where you are. I'll be getting the cartridge though. I need a box to hold :)
I think Wulava meant is that the 3DS games in store are more expensive than the more or less set price of the eStore.

Rowdy

Not by much though. The digital copy of X/Y is $39.99 which is more or less the same as the physical copy. Physical though will have an added tax that will push the price to around $41 (give or take in the change department).

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
Which is better: X or Y?
I just really can't make up my mind???

quick questions don't think just answer

1) Xerneas or Yvealtal?(if that didn't help move onto next question)

2) Swirlix or Spritzee? (if that still didn't help move onto next question)

3) Clauncher or Skrelp? (if you are still undecided tell the sales advisor to surprise you and don't look in the bag until you get home)

hope this helps :)

Necrobat

Competitive hopeful
How long would it take for the game to download though. Would it not be quicker to just buy the cartridge? Are there any advantages for eshop download, other than you can do it from home?

If it works like the Animal Crossing launch did, it means I can have it purchased and downloading 9 hours before I could pick up a physical copy. Seeing as I'm a night owl, it's a big advantage for me.

GerudoPrince

Desert Glider
Yeah I understand the eshop price is standard, but as was mentioned, physical copies shouldn't be too much more expensive. I think I just have little faith in my wireless internet..

Pspaans

X&Y Fan
i've downloaded a demo with around 1000 blocks, so i can do a little guess for the download time for me, it took around 5 minutes for the download to finish, so I guess it will take around 2 hours. (big downloads will probably take more time, and i always have slower internet when i need it, so 2 hours would be average for me...)

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
quick questions don't think just answer

1) Xerneas or Yvealtal?(if that didn't help move onto next question)

2) Swirlix or Spritzee? (if that still didn't help move onto next question)

3) Clauncher or Skrelp? (if you are still undecided tell the sales advisor to surprise you and don't look in the bag until you get home)

Ahah wow I like that one. If I wasn't sure about the Y version I would definitely try that.

nuzamaki90

Considering the massive amount of 3D models (Pokemon, Characters, environment, and other whatnot) this game has (add the music too), this is not surprising.
Actually, 3D models don't take up as much space as you think, neither does animations or music. Colosseum and XD had a lot of music and models but X&Y are bigger than both of them combined. Sprites and their animations take a great amount of more space than models do, which is one of the reasons why BW2 pretty much brought the DS to its limit; 649 sprites, new animations, and 40+ new Gym Leaders for PWT? Good lord I'm surprised GF survived that.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
14,000 blocks? Eh.

SMT:DS:SH, which is a 1997 Sega Saturn port, takes up 14,795. Still, makes me wonder what they'll all be used for.

Maxi

Think I'll get them from Shopto in the UK. Physical copy that should show up on the Friday.

dman_dustin

I know, I figuratively crapped my pants when I saw that Resident Evil was going to take 25,000 blocks. I downloaded it anyway.
--------------

As for Pokemon, 14,000 is a lot compared to Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing (two games I bought recently), but it's still nowhere near 25,000 blocks which is good.

That said I have 134,000 blocks left, so I think I'll be fine for now.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
14,000 blocks? Eh.

SMT:DS:SH, which is a 1997 Sega Saturn port, takes up 14,795. Still, makes me wonder what they'll all be used for.

That's actually over Half a Gigabyte more than the Saturn/PS1 game probably held. I'd hazard a Guess to More VA and Better graphics in the 3ds version, but I have no evidence either way.

Anyway, PBR according to questionable Sources is about 1.5 GB. I'd be willing to expect them to be higher quality than the 3DSes.

Pokedex Pro is just over 3000 Blocks, and that's just the "models" and some information.

Animal Crossing is ~6000, while MH3U-3DS is ~14000.

Tsutaja1996

So, 1.7GB/14,000 blocks.. wow. Personally I prefer to have a physical copy of the game, so I have preordered my copy of Pokemon Y, and it should arrive on Friday/Saturday. I wonder, when the games go live on the e-shop, I would imagine a lot of people will be downloading the games at the same time. Would this affect an individual's download speed at all?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
1.7 GB eh?
Well then retail copy it is haha. Unless something goes horribly wrong and I can't make it to GameStop or Wal-Mart that is.

Xavier Iser

So, I couldn't find another place to put this random question.

There are always things about games that people don't like, but so far for the release of X and Y I can happily say I haven't been disappointing with anything (so far), however I was talking to a friend of mine about the game and he wouldn't stop about talking about the things he dislikes so far. My question to everyone here is:

What (if anything) has been the biggest disappointment reveal so far about these games?

As I said above I don't have one so I'll share what my friend's biggest was: "It still sounds like the same 'generic' story line that every main Pokemon game hands us: Start out with a fire/water/grass Pokemon, get a Dex, battle Gyms, fight the Elite 4. I was hoping they would finally change this soon... Maybe next Gen."

Status
Not open for further replies.