• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

While there might not be much information on X and Y right now, we have got a bit of information about two new interesting moves-

Parabolic charge- An electric type Giga Drain.This could mean that Bulky electric types like the Rotom forms now have a move that can help them recover HP! If it has a good distribution, Rotom-W is going to become much more annoying.

Parting shot- This move is kind of like U-turn and Volt switch, but instead of damaging the opponent, it lowers their Attack and Special Attack! It could be used to switch to a setup sweeper, making pokemon like Cloyster much more dangerous.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Updated with English names of the moves.

The fairy type has been confirmed, so here's the rest of what the rumor has to say about the fairy type-

• Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, and super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting-type Pokemon.

NEW POKEMON- Honedge, a new pokemon based off a sword has been revealed. What makes it interesting though is it's typing- ghost/steel. It's ability is No guard.

MEGA EVOLUTIONS

Blaziken, Lucario, Absol, Mawile, Ampharos and Mewtwo have been confirmed to 'mega-evolve'. Lucario gets Adaptability, Absol gets Magic bounce, Mawile gets Huge power, Ampharos gets Mold breaker and an additional dragon typing, Mewtwo gets insomnia (-_-) and Blaziken gets its DW ability, speed boost, on evolving.

Well, Lucario with Adaptability really interesting. With all the STAB priority moves it has, it may become the ultimate revenge killer.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Oh **** I made an Electric type Giga Drain in the Competitive create stuff thread... Lol.

I could see Parabolic Drain helping certain monsters, especially tanks. I'd be glad if Lanturn got it, because that would mean a good recovery move. Though I could see it competiting with Volt Swtich since both effects are pretty neat.

As for Parting Shot. Sounds meh so far. If its attack then I hope some intimidate mons get it. -2 attack anyone?

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Parting Shot lowers Attack AND Special Attack, which seems like it'll be brilliant.

Also, doesn't Parabolic Charge imply it's a physical attack? Even so, it seems like a bit of a niche attack from the fact that it's Parabolic. Honestly, I see Porygon getting it before anything else.

Okay then. Edited.

Of course it's brilliant! It's a pseudo-memento, but you don't have to kill yourself, and it also gives offensive momentum to your team! Hopefully, it won't be limited to only Pancham.

Parabolic charge seems to be a special move from the trailer, Helioptile just extends its frill, and attacks the opponent's pokemon from afar.

Blazios

Now that I think about it, charge could be from the fact that it's regaining health.

...Why are there so many attacks with Charge in their name?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Now that I think about it, charge could be from the fact that it's regaining health.

...Why are there so many attacks with Charge in their name?

Why are there so many attacks with Beam in their name? Thunder? Punch? I guess Gamefreak is running out of ideas.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Fairy type? Where'd you get that idea?

Personally I don't think Fairy type is a good idea, but I'm willing to look at the 'evidence' if there is any.

Blazios

I suppose I notice Charge more, since things like most of the Beams and Punches have existed since Gen 1, back when the localisation wasn't as diverse, where as Gen V alone had Flame Charge, Wild Charge and Head Charge, along with Gen 3's Charge, Gen IV's Charge Beam and now Parabolic Charge.

Fairy type? Where'd you get that idea?

Personally I don't think Fairy type is a good idea, but I'm willing to look at the 'evidence' if there is any.

Same person who leaked the 4 English names revealed today said there would be a Fairy type.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I suppose I notice Charge more, since things like most of the Beams and Punches have existed since Gen 1, back when the localisation wasn't as diverse, where as Gen V alone had Flame Charge, Wild Charge and Head Charge, along with Gen 3's Charge, Gen IV's Charge Beam and now Parabolic Charge.

Same person who leaked the 4 English names revealed today said there would be a Fairy type.

Wow, did NOT see that. Thanks for pointing that one out, although it says in the letter itself that it isn't confirmed yet. I'll keep an open mind about it, I just want to make sure its actually confirmed before posting it. This is also considering Serebii hasn't posted anything about it yet, fake or real. At least CoroCoro promised more news next month, so we'll see : )

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hmm. A Dragon-immune type might not be such a bad idea, and weak to Steel and Poison is good too. Hell, alright I like this. What older Pokemon might be reclassified as "fairy"? Celebi is an obvious one. Hell, all the BS-100s except Victini and maybe Jirachi might get it. Maybe the lake trio too, but I always thought they should have been Psychic/Ghost.

Still, we need Light. No other game has Dark anything without having Light. Come on people.

Blazios

Dark type already has a counterpart in the Fighting type.

Remember, it's called the Evil type in Japan, and the Fighting types are generally all about fighting honourably, while Dark type attacks are all about fighting dirty.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Hmm. A Dragon-immune type might not be such a bad idea, and weak to Steel and Poison is good too. Hell, alright I like this. What older Pokemon might be reclassified as "fairy"? Celebi is an obvious one. Hell, all the BS-100s except Victini and maybe Jirachi might get it. Maybe the lake trio too, but I always thought they should have been Psychic/Ghost.

Still, we need Light. No other game has Dark anything without having Light. Come on people.

As I'm sure you've heard numerous times in the threads, dark type is translated as 'evil' type in Japan. It was only created to balance out the overpower that Psychics possessed. With this in mind and just in general, light isn't necessary. Psychic is essentially our light type if this fairy type thing turns out to be fake.

I'm not a big fan to new types to the game, just because it would switch up so much at this point. If it has to happen though, which I'm still waiting for confirmation, that will be our light type. There really doesn't need to be a light type. It's just a thought of completion at this point. Like Fire is to Water, Flying is to Ground, and Dark is to what people would believe to be light. It doesn't have to be. It's just psychic at this point.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
As I'm sure you've heard numerous times in the threads, dark type is translated as 'evil' type in Japan. It was only created to balance out the overpower that Psychics possessed. With this in mind and just in general, light isn't necessary. Psychic is essentially our light type if this fairy type thing turns out to be fake.

I'm not a big fan to new types to the game, just because it would switch up so much at this point. If it has to happen though, which I'm still waiting for confirmation, that will be our light type. There really doesn't need to be a light type. It's just a thought of completion at this point. Like Fire is to Water, Flying is to Ground, and Dark is to what people would believe to be light. It doesn't have to be. It's just psychic at this point.

The entire concept of darkness trumping light is something you won't find in ANY Japanese religion, ever. So, if Psychic had an advantage over Dark and not vice versa, you *might* have an argument there.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
The entire concept of darkness trumping light is something you won't find in ANY Japanese religion, ever. So, if Psychic had an advantage over Dark and not vice versa, you *might* have an argument there.

If you want to cover things you find in Japanese religion, you will see that neither light nor darkness defeats the other. Rather, they are balanced. When light becomes overpowered, it needs to be weakened. Vice versa. Blazios also explained that a little bit.

The point is, we don't need a light type. I think its only wanted for the sake that we don't have one and that games usually have light and dark. Besides, we have fighting, a fairly common type, and bug, which just got boosted in the 5th gen. Even then: Dark has one of, if not the, weakest moveset as a whole. That also keeps it in check. It's not the strongest, but only has two weaknesses. Psychic has three and is extremely powerful, even after Dark was added.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If you want to cover things you find in Japanese religion, you will see that neither light nor darkness defeats the other. Rather, they are balanced. When light becomes overpowered, it needs to be weakened. Vice versa. Blazios also explained that a little bit.

The point is, we don't need a light type. I think its only wanted for the sake that we don't have one and that games usually have light and dark. Besides, we have fighting, a fairly common type, and bug, which just got boosted in the 5th gen. Even then: Dark has one of, if not the, weakest moveset as a whole. That also keeps it in check. It's not the strongest, but only has two weaknesses. Psychic has three and is extremely powerful, even after Dark was added.

We don't need a Fairy type, now do we?

Psychic isn't OP at all. In fact, it's one of the most underwhelming coverage types there is. Nothing runs Psychic moves unless it's using it as a STAB attack. Dark and Steel were added to balance Psychic and Dragon, this is true, but Psychic also gained a resistance to itself, and Dragon hits nothing except other Dragons super effectively anyways, so they're balanced. Also, Steel and Dark were largely demanded by the fanbase at the time, and I can honestly say that I haven't even heard of the possibility of a Fairy type until about two weeks ago.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Imagine if Terrakion got Parting Shot, or Lati@s or just about any fast Pokémon, it would be popular in an instant as you can set up on something with lowered offenses and do your sweep. Parabolic Charge is interesting too.

It might be a little OP if Lati@s got it though, their speed tier is really high, and it also gets rid of their best counter, Tyranitar. I don't really see them getting it.

Blazios

I like how Parting Shot is basically a better Memento (though Memento sharply lowers the stats).

I do wish they'd buff Memento...

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
We don't need a Fairy type, now do we?

Psychic isn't OP at all. In fact, it's one of the most underwhelming coverage types there is. Nothing runs Psychic moves unless it's using it as a STAB attack. Dark and Steel were added to balance Psychic and Dragon, this is true, but Psychic also gained a resistance to itself, and Dragon hits nothing except other Dragons super effectively anyways, so they're balanced. Also, Steel and Dark were largely demanded by the fanbase at the time, and I can honestly say that I haven't even heard of the possibility of a Fairy type until about two weeks ago.

I'm talking about when Dark was introduced. Gen 1: Psychic was WAY OP and thus new types were introduced to counter act that. Do I think we need a Fairy type? Just as much as we 'need' a light type. In short, we don't. I do, though, see Fairy as the light type you desire and if Fairy does become confirmed, then so be it. And what's this, "Steel and Dark were largely demanded by the fanbase,"? I have seen no proof that fans clamoured for this. Steel and Dark were introduced for the sake of balance, they thought it was going to be their last game, and it added a little depth to the original 150 everyone knew and loved as well as the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.