• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it doesn't have Rapid Spin, it might be able to function as an offensive Spiker that can also U-turn out. It also gets Taunt which could make it usable as a lead.

Yeah. Spikes/Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse/Taunt or U-turn could make a good offensive spiker and pivot. Water/Dark gets surprisingly good coverage.

Greninja will be a pretty cool Spikes user, but personally I'm more excited to use it as a Protean sweeper. Being able to change its type on a whim is just fantastic. You might bring in your Ferrothorn to check it, and suddenly it hits you with a STAB HP Fire and changes its list of checks. You might try to Mach Punch it with Breloom, only to have it use Shadow Sneak to do a little damage and change to a Ghost type, avoiding Mach Punch entirely. I think it has been confirmed that its type changes even with non-damaging moves, so using Spikes will even give you Ground typing. When your work is done, just switch out with a STAB U-turn and do some more damage later. Needless to say, this thing is looking to be pretty awesome.

Yeah, Protean changes it to whatever type it's using, even for non-damaging moves (I caught a Timid one with Outstanding potential and flawless SpA/Spe too!).

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Yeah, Protean changes it to whatever type it's using, even for non-damaging moves (I caught a Timid one with Outstanding potential and flawless SpA/Spe too!).

Too bad it wasn't hasty. That's better imo. Although timid is ok if you want to give up U-turn damage.

trident20

ground types
Honestly, with his speed and really solid coverage, I see U-turn as pretty unnecessary, since there'll be very few things that can counter you outside of scarfers.

U-turn isn't just about escaping from hazards. It's about gaining momentum after you force a switch, which Greninja has the potential to do pretty easily. U-turn is arguably the second best move in the game (second to Stealth Rock) because of how effortless it makes dealing with switch-ins and stealing momentum. Greninja will honestly be a great user of U-turn.

Also, Rapid Spin on Greninja was a myth that has been debunked several times. There is no solid evidence that it can actually learn Rapid Spin. It does have Spikes, though.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
U-turn isn't just about escaping from hazards. It's about gaining momentum after you force a switch, which Greninja has the potential to do pretty easily. U-turn is arguably the second best move in the game (second to Stealth Rock) because of how effortless it makes dealing with switch-ins and stealing momentum. Greninja will honestly be a great user of U-turn.

Also, Rapid Spin on Greninja was a myth that has been debunked several times. There is no solid evidence that it can actually learn Rapid Spin. It does have Spikes, though.

Yeah, it will be a great user of it, it's just that personally, I'd rather go 4 Attacks + LO or something of the sort to attempt to get at least neutral coverage on everything, and with LO + STAB, you'll be getting a good hit on everything that isn't a dedicated neutral special wall. And even then, you have the option to use a mixed set.

That's the great thing about Greninja; it has no shortage of options. Protean is just such a cool and unique ability, so I'm curious to see how it will be used in the standard metagame. Offensively, it gives Greninja STAB on everything, essentially giving it a free Choice Specs boost to any moves that weren't already STAB. Support-wise, it can set up Spikes and then use Shadow Sneak or HP Ghost to change into a Ghost-type and spinblock its own hazards. Base 122 Spe is downright amazing as well, beating pretty much every unboosted Pokemon in the current OU besides Jolteon, as well as letting it outspeed every Scarf user with base 65 Spe and slower (Scizor, Gothitelle, and Tyranitar, for example).

By the way, that was supposed to be "escaping from counters" in my last post instead of "escaping from hazards," lol.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Well, since everyone is talking about Protean Greninja, what do you guys think Protean Kecleon will do in the lower tiers? 60/70/120 gives it a good bit of bulk, while 90 attack isn't too shabby. The problem lies with his barren 40 speed, meaning that he'll be pretty much last a good chunk of the time, which reduces the ability to play mind games unlike Greninja.

Then again, it has a few priorities so that can be abused.

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Drain Punch

Just maybe...

I does have rapid spin. and spikes

It was definitely a myth on Smogon.
Originally made as a joke.
He doesn't get Rapid Spin from what I have seen.

Zachmac

I wonder...

Does Geomancy work in a similar manner to Wish? If it does, that could definitely be used to mess with your opponents in Uber. It'd such to try and take out Xerneas with a super-effective sludge bomb or iron head just to find out the stat boost are going to Dialga. And than there is also the odd Uber rotation battle...
Well, since everyone is talking about Protean Greninja, what do you guys think Protean Kecleon will do in the lower tiers? 60/70/120 gives it a good bit of bulk, while 90 attack isn't too shabby. The problem lies with his barren 40 speed, meaning that he'll be pretty much last a good chunk of the time, which reduces the ability to play mind games unlike Greninja.

Then again, it has a few priorities so that can be abused.

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Drain Punch

Just maybe...
Maybe in a lower tier, but base 90 attack just won't cut it for OU. Especially with 60 base HP and 70 defense.

pokemonjeff

interested trader
^It's exactly like solar beam. But it might still be good. Xerneas does have some amount of bulk to him, and if he can somehow get a free turn (Absorbing an outrage maybe?) he'll certainly be putting down some hurt.

Of course, not nearly as good as a wish/baton pass style attack, but its certainly not useless. Especially for a fairy type, with the vast amount of outrage users.

Puma Italia

I see Sticky Web potentially playing a big role in the metagame. It will definitely benefit offensive teams, but have a small effect on defensive/stall teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.