• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
I think what scares me about the "Fairy" type is that it has no purpose than to try and "balance" types. It really has no other function based on how it matches with other types.
-It's weak to Poison and Steel, two types that have very little super-effective coverage.
-It's immune to Dragon, a type that is considered the best to due it's great neutral coverage.
-It's super-effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, all of which are types with only two weaknesses.

Honestly, it just seems like they are trying really hard to "balance" some types when it is not nearly as necessary as it was back when they introduced Dark and Steel back in Gen. II.

telivisionhead

While there might not be much information on X and Y right now, we have got a bit of information about two new interesting moves-

Parabolic charge- An electric type Giga Drain.This could mean that Bulky electric types like the Rotom forms now have a move that can help them recover HP! If it has a good distribution, Rotom-W is going to become much more annoying.

Parting shot- This move is kind of like U-turn and Volt switch, but instead of damaging the opponent, it lowers their Attack and Special Attack! It could be used to switch to a setup sweeper, making pokemon like Cloyster much more dangerous.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Updated with English names of the moves.

There's a lot of evidence pointing to a new 'fairy type' so I might as well post that too-

• Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, and super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting-type Pokemon.

Very true. Electric giga drain would wreck water types, like giga drain. Now water types should be scared like hell, there is a new threat for them inb this game. The new electric move, and electric moves are already great at water but healing. ANOTHER GIGA DRAIN! THE WATER TYPES ARE CRYING NOW!
The FAIRY TYPE? What in the world? The light and sound type makes sense but fairy? Maybe we should grab jigglypuff and cle"fairy" and change their types.
I dont think fairy type would be in, and if there is a new type it's probably light or sound.
Competitive battlers in X and Y would be crying with this new electric giga drain. Making the rotom who tend to find themselves on peoples teams MORE ANNOYING! so you are right there. And parting shot is probably gonna be a great strategy. luckey I dont competitive battle or i'll probably suck in all the battles in X and Y.
Parting Shot HAS to have side effects to the user or something or have only 5 turns to use parting shot and then PP is out or that it doesn't hit that much or doewsn't hit every second turn.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Very true. Electric giga drain would wreck water types, like giga drain. Now water types should be scared like hell, there is a new threat for them inb this game. The new electric move, and electric moves are already great at water but healing. ANOTHER GIGA DRAIN! THE WATER TYPES ARE CRYING NOW!
The FAIRY TYPE? What in the world? The light and sound type makes sense but fairy? Maybe we should grab jigglypuff and cle"fairy" and change their types.
I dont think fairy type would be in, and if there is a new type it's probably light or sound.
Competitive battlers in X and Y would be crying with this new electric giga drain. Making the rotom who tend to find themselves on peoples teams MORE ANNOYING! so you are right there. And parting shot is probably gonna be a great strategy. luckey I dont competitive battle or i'll probably suck in all the battles in X and Y.
Parting Shot HAS to have side effects to the user or something or have only 5 turns to use parting shot and then PP is out or that it doesn't hit that much or doewsn't hit every second turn.

I hope we can get an ulti-rain killer that's a Grass/Electric with Mold Breaker and can learn Giga Drain and Parabolic Charge. AlthoughI think Parabolic charge won't kill off rain teams, since Gen 6 is bound to have a frenzy of weather abusers.

And fairy type? Has that even been confirmed yet, or is it just some rumor? If it's the latter, I'm going to tell everyone that there's going to be a garbage type.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Knowing names doesn't make the rest of the stuff said true...a lot of people speculated Tsutaja would be name Snivy in English and low and behold, that turned out to be true

Um........ I think you just contradicted yourself a little...

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
How exactly? None of them were going around claiming new typings were being introduce or that moves would become duel typings

You said that knowing names is irrelevant, then used people predicting Snivy's name as an example. So you didn't really contradict yourself, but you kind of went in circles there.

Anyways, anyone know what Fairy's supposed weaknesses will be? I hear it will be weak to Fire, so DragonFire still gets flawless coverage, which is nice.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
You said that knowing names is irrelevant, then used people predicting Snivy's name as an example. So you didn't really contradict yourself, but you kind of went in circles there.

Anyways, anyone know what Fairy's supposed weaknesses will be? I hear it will be weak to Fire, so DragonFire still gets flawless coverage, which is nice.

"Fairy" is supposed to be weak to Poison and Steel. This is why I commented that the "Fairy" type just sounds like an attempt to "balance" types, as Poison and Steel have crappy super-effective coverage.

Blazios

I liked the thought of it being weak to Poison and Steel when I first heard it for the sole fact that Poison sucks offensively and it may be a reason to use the type.

Of course, if it IS super effective against Ice like Smash is implying, then that saddens me, because I was hoping for Ice to resist it.

Oh, also if it's SE against Dark like the rumour, then Wondertomb's dead. That's interesting.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Until further evidence to back up the 'fairy' type and dual typed attacks, I'm not going to believe it. It would only complicate things more now that there are going to be over 700 pokemon.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Personally, my personal guess that some of us think of light, maybe its from the fact that the teaching of christianity is implemented to us worldwide (being a dominant religion). So probably some of the fanbase want to add the Light versus Dark concept of Roman Catholic/ Cristianity religion.

Again, a probability. I mean, christianity/Roman catholic is weak in Japan. And Gamefreak's religion is Zen buddhism. So I may say that they find Yang/Ying concept as equal rather than opposing concepts to the dominant Heavenly Light versus Evil Dark from most of us. Maybe America Change the Japanese Evil to dark in case of Overprotective Soccer moms selling back the pokemon game they just bought for their kid (I mean they are everywhere in both east and western culture if I recall).

I understand it since my country is very heavy on roman Catholicism and Christianity.

Personally, Shin Megami Tensei handles our beloved Light against dark concept better.

Then again back to the discussion, Now I have a good reason to hate All of the Rotom formes even more thanks to Parabola charge if they got it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Personally, my personal guess that some of us think of light, maybe its from the fact that the teaching of christianity is implemented to us worldwide (being a dominant religion). So probably some of the fanbase want to add the Light versus Dark concept of Roman Catholic/ Cristianity religion.Again, a probability. I mean, christianity/Roman catholic is weak in Japan. And Gamefreak's religion is Zen buddhism. So I may say that they find Yang/Ying concept as equal rather than opposing concepts to the dominant Heavenly Light versus Evil Dark from most of us. Maybe America Change the Japanese Evil to dark in case of Overprotective Soccer moms selling back the pokemon game they just bought for their kid (I mean they are everywhere in both east and western culture if I recall).I understand it since my country is very heavy on roman Catholicism and Christianity.Personally, Shin Megami Tensei handles our beloved Light against dark concept better.Then again back to the discussion, Now I have a good reason to hate All of the Rotom formes even more thanks to Parabola charge if they got it.
That's a huge and frankly ignorant assumption to make. I'm far left-wing Atheist and I want a Light type.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
That's a huge and frankly ignorant assumption to make. I'm far left-wing Atheist and I want a Light type.

Mine is merely a personal opinion. Subjective if you need assurance. I mean, the demand of fans wanting a light type just to have their own understanding of Light and dark is everywhere.

But this time, when I saw Fletchling this time, I got this gut feeling that it might do what Staraptor and Stoutland did in Kalos region. You know with Close combat and Sand Rush Respectively

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
I heard that Fairy is resistant to Fire and Psychic, you might wanna add it there. But I bet that a lot of people will play the metagame. Think of it, with that new Electric move, I bet that they will set Electric types 100% of the time in their teams, so they could stun the opponents, drain their power with that Parabolic Charge, and pretty much sweep. There are already awesome Electric Pokémon out there like Electivire and Thundurus, and it would benefit the other Pokémon.

And yes the Parting Shot is good too.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I don't believe we need any new typings... it far to late for it imo. The current scale works perfectly as is. Only thing they really need to do is introduce a Pokemon that can counter Reshiram's perfect coverage

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Where did all the light/fairy type weaknesses and resistances rumors come from?

I won't believe it unless I get proof. Because light has been explained thousand of times by why it isn't a direct counter to dark, and fairy type just sounds bad to me.

Also, I wonder if any new attack 'types' will be developed. Not the type of the attack, but if the uniqueness of it, or if they'll make 'counterpart' moves.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't believe we need any new typings... it far to late for it imo. The current scale works perfectly as is. Only thing they really need to do is introduce a Pokemon that can counter Reshiram's perfect coverage

Technically, Heatran CAN counter Reshiram's coverage, but Turboblaze negates Flash Fire. As far as I know, it's not possible to resist DragonFire by typing alone, so unless we do get new types, Reshiram's coverage will go unresisted.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Technically, Heatran CAN counter Reshiram's coverage, but Turboblaze negates Flash Fire. As far as I know, it's not possible to resist DragonFire by typing alone, so unless we do get new types, Reshiram's coverage will go unresisted.
That's why you introduce a new ability. Fairy "if real" still with be unable to tank Blue Flare from Reshiram unless it's something Blissey in disguise (I swear, if Blissey's type changes...)

Status
Not open for further replies.