• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the award for most illiterate post of the month goes to...

Anyways, let's move beyond fairies for a second... How do you think the new battling mechanics will affect simulators? Will they be able to cope with the lack of spites, or will online battling be done for?

That...is a very very good question. Any idea I can think of would just look very sloppy on the simulator. Maybe improve them to include 3D? But I feel like that might be very difficult...I guess this is something else we will just have to wait and see what happens

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion

Anyways, let's move beyond fairies for a second... How do you think the new battling mechanics will affect simulators? Will they be able to cope with the lack of spites, or will online battling be done for?

Fixed Master ^_^. Simulator's: They'll still go on, I'm pretty sure someone will make sprites for Generation Six Pokemon.

Fixed Master ^_^. Simulator's: They'll still go on, I'm pretty sure someone will make sprites for Generation Six Pokemon.

That is a little more easier said then done dont you think? Kind of like the idea of adding the 3D

T-Bolt

Electrifying.

I don't think online simulators are going to go down to something as trivial as lack of sprites. They'll probably continue using the Gen 5 sprites anyway. Plus, CAP has shown that animated sprites can be created and hosted on simulators, so the Gen 6 sprites shouldn't be a problem either.

Ditto B1tch

Why are there so many attacks with Beam in their name? Thunder? Punch? I guess Gamefreak is running out of ideas.
I have made this question several times as well. I still think that there will be Poison Punch and Fire Tail soon as variations of Thunder/Fire/Ice Punch and Aqua or Poison Tail, respectively.

New types are just dumb can we agree on that? Anyways, parting shot sounds really cool, but it will only work on things that don't need 4 slots, like scarf latios or something.
No, we cannot. New types mean innovation. GF just need to be intelligent to introduce them correctly.

I'm in all favor on introduction of new types. If they had introduced new types since Gen III (and they could), closed-mind people would be complaining about the so-needed fairy type.

Gardevoir will be rising in the tiers if it becomes Fairy/Psychic. I really hope we don't lose her to a tier like RU, but if it happens it happens.

T-Bolt, it is not supereffective on Dark types..because in the trailer it did not kill a Hydriegon and that is Dragon/Dark. If it was 4x, it would have killed it.
Perhaps it wouldn't. And if it was a low power base fairy type move?

Just done a damage test between Gardevoir and Hydreigon.

I'm fairly new to competitive, so I may be wrong about calculations ;)

As many people believe that Fairy Wind is a Silver Wind Variant with Fairy-Typing, I used Silver Wind. However, I set it's power to 90 due to the fact the Fairy-Type STAB would put it to that power.

Now, with Gardevoir's base 125 Sp. Attack power with no EVs or IVs, and Hydreigon's 92 Base HP and 90 Base Sp. Defense with no EVs and IVs, both with a Serious nature, the 90 powered Silver Wind is a guaranteed 2HKO, as it's power is doubled due to super effectiveness.

However, Fairy-Type is supposed to be SE on Dark-Types. For the sake of this, I changed Hydreigon into a Dark/Psychic-Type.

This makes Silver Wind (Fairy Wind) a 1HKO!

So if I did the calculations right, Fairy-Type is not Super Effective on Dark-Types!

I put Hydreigon as a Pure Dark-Type, to represent Pure Dragon (As we can't use Fairy-Type >.<) due to Silver Wind being SE on that, and it's a 2HKO!

Using Dragon-Type and Fairy Wind in the trailer, it was shown as probably being a 2HKO!

There you have it ;) You may call it the 'Midnight Theory', or if I'm wrong, the 'Midnight you Mediocre Dunce! You got it all wrong! Theory'.

Lol, that was a good post. Not sure about how mediocre you are :p

Since you didn't post the percentages, I made my own calculations.

1) Assuming that both have 31 IVs and 0 EVs

Neutral Gardevoir 90 BP Supereffective move (2X)

52.76 - 62.57%

If it 4X Supereffective, it's a clear OHKO.

Gardevoir 252 EVs in SPA, Modest Nature 70.55 - 83.43%

If Fairy Wind is a 40 BP(60 wit STAB) move...

252 EV Positive Gardevoir 47.23 - 55.82%

0 EV Neutral 34.96 - 41.71%

The damage done is around 80% in the trailer. It can either be a sucky move with 40 BP and supereffective on dark or the Gardevoir isn't EV'd and it's a 60 BP and 2x effective on Hydreigon.

I am inclining on the latter.

Nerds.

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
I have made this question several times as well. I still think that there will be Poison Punch and Fire Tail soon as variations of Thunder/Fire/Ice Punch and Aqua or Poison Tail, respectively.

No, we cannot. New types mean innovation. GF just need to be intelligent to introduce them correctly.

I'm in all favor on introduction of new types. If they had introduced new types since Gen III (and they could), closed-mind people would be complaining about the so-needed fairy type.

Perhaps it wouldn't. And if it was a low power base fairy type move?

Nerds.

Really? Super unnecessary.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Really? Super unnecessary.

A troll is only as good as the suckers who fall for him.

On the issue of sprites, has it been confirmed that the Pokedex is in 3D, or will the Pokedex still perhaps use the old-style sprites?

Connor™

Showstopper
A troll is only as good as the suckers who fall for him.

On the issue of sprites, has it been confirmed that the Pokedex is in 3D, or will the Pokedex still perhaps use the old-style sprites?

He's a troll for one wanton comment? Everything else they said was perfectly reasonable and on topic.

To respond to your earlier question regarding simulators, I'd have to agree with the rest of the thread in saying it's highly unlikely simulators will come to an end because of sprites. Even if it means making rudimentary 2-D sprites which are more manageable, it's likely that will be done. Simulators offer far too valuable an opportunity for metagame development for them to simply stop being used.

deoxys_attack_mode

I really hope they hit permanent weather. Its not just a problem on simulators, either. VGC teams are loaded with Sand, Rain, and Trick Room. If they change Drizzle, Snow Warning, Drought, and Sand Stream so that they only last for a max of maybe 8 turns without the weather user showing up again, I would be happy. Rain is an broken mess and they haven't done anything to touch weather outside of Drizzle and Drought getting place on non-banned Pokemon.

I would also like to see more ability to remove entry hazards. Rapid spin isn't reliable enough, and its distribution is awful. Ideally something non-damaging so that it can still hit ghosts. And if something with Magic Guard could get access to it.....yeah.

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
Well, let's see how many more old Pokémon get retyped and what kinds of new Fairies we get.
And those two moves can be quite the game changers for the XY Metagame!

Yeah, the Uber class Dragons might be facing a threat. Seribii described the Fairy Wind move to do "severe damage."

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Monorpale, a ghost/steel pokemon has been revealed! Will it be this generation's ferrothorn, or is gamefreak going to troll us like with Rampardos?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Monorpale, a ghost/steel pokemon has been revealed! Will it be this generation's ferrothorn, or is gamefreak going to troll us like with Rampardos?

The design is sickening, but I dunno. It looks like it could potentially have Levitate, which would be amazing. If it's got a good stat spread, this thing could outdo Ferrothorn. Guess we'll have to see. It's way to early to make any definitive judgements, but I am pretty excited to finally get that Ghost/Steel typing that Golurk robbed us of last generation, even if the design looks pretty awful. (What is it even based off of? A sword combined with a... clock? o_O)

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
^it's supposed to be a sheathed sword, but eh, I'm not a big fan of the design either. If it does get levitate and a good defense stat (sheath could mean good defense), I think it could potentially be an extremekiller Arceus counter.

Mew The Gato

^it's supposed to be a sheathed sword, but eh, I'm not a big fan of the design either. If it does get levitate and a good defense stat (sheath could mean good defense), I think it could potentially be an extremekiller Arceus counter.

Indeed, thought being possessed by a ghost often means you are going to go fancy. I think that it may be utilizing a lot of hit and run tactics. I LOVE the design, by the way.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Taking neutral damage from Shadow Claw means unless he's got decent offensive stats too he's not bothering Arceus too much.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
It's a sword, it's gotta have a good attack stat. Since it's ghost type, it could have will-o-wisp too. That definitely bothers Arceus.

Serebii's page says it unsheathes itself during battle. I hope Gamefreak doesn't go the Zen Mode way with it though. That was an idea which definitely did not work.

Mew The Gato

Serebii's page says it unsheathes itself during battle. I hope Gamefreak doesn't go the Zen Mode way with it though. That was an idea which definitely did not work.

Indeed, but who knows? Looks defy... the inner hyperactive ghost may be what gives it the stats... could you tell Mew had 100 in each stat by just looking at it?

Indeed, Zen Mode takes so much trouble to just go into that form, it can easily be defeated afterwards.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It's a sword, it's gotta have a good attack stat. Since it's ghost type, it could have will-o-wisp too. That definitely bothers Arceus.

Hah. What about the move Synchronoise? Probably the biggest fail since Levitate Rotom-S.

Samboelrod

While there might not be much information on X and Y right now, we have got a bit of information about two new interesting moves-

Parabolic charge- An electric type Giga Drain.This could mean that Bulky electric types like the Rotom forms now have a move that can help them recover HP! If it has a good distribution, Rotom-W is going to become much more annoying.

Parting shot- This move is kind of like U-turn and Volt switch, but instead of damaging the opponent, it lowers their Attack and Special Attack! It could be used to switch to a setup sweeper, making pokemon like Cloyster much more dangerous.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Updated with English names of the moves.

There's a lot of evidence pointing to a new 'fairy type' so I might as well post that too-

• Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, and super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting-type Pokemon.

NEW POKEMON- Monorpale, a new pokemon based off a sword has been revealed, but what makes it interesting is it's typing- ghost/steel. It appears to levitate as well, though the ability has not been confirmed.

Fairy has only been confirmed super effective to Dragon, at least x1 to dark, and at least x1 to flying. NOTHING ELSE!!! I HATE it when people say that it IS weak to steel and poison, not that it is RUMORED TO BE weak to steel and poison. Also, we don't know that it is super effective to fighting or dark EITHER!!! You IDIOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.