• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurath8

Okay, now that the method of mega-evolution is pretty clear now, I think we can assess which mega-evos will have an impact, and which won't.

1. MegaBlaziken seems pretty useless, since you'd have to waste one turn to Mega-evolve, and it doesn't seem like Blaziken actuslly gets any benefits from it's evolution.

2. MegaLucario is in the same boat too, you could just use swords dance rather than use a turn and waste an item Megaevolving.

3. MegaMawile actually seems like it would see some use. Intimidate would help you mega-evolve easily against physical attackers, and then you'd be able to hit stuff with huge-power boosted atracks.

You don't have to waste a turn to mega-evolve. You can move in the same turn as you do so.
Because of this, needless to say Megablaziken will stay in Ubers. Even better Speed Boost Blaziken? oh dear.

Provided Lucario gets a small speed boost (let's say to 105) then I could see it Ubers honestly. 4MSS doesn't matter much when you can fire off +2 240 BP Close Combats and 80 BP Bullet Punches. Of course to make a true judgement we'd need its base stats first.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You don't have to waste a turn to mega-evolve. You can move in the same turn as you do so.
Because of this, needless to say Megablaziken will stay in Ubers. Even better Speed Boost Blaziken? oh dear.

Provided Lucario gets a small speed boost (let's say to 105) then I could see it Ubers honestly. 4MSS doesn't matter much when you can fire off +2 240 BP Close Combats and 80 BP Bullet Punches. Of course to make a true judgement we'd need its base stats first.

I'm in agreement with all of this, though the reason I bold that first statement is because of how that affects Mawile. Doesn't this mean that it can both drop the opponent's attack with Intimidate and immediately attack with the boosts of Huge Power behind it (not to mention its supposed buffs in defenses)? I didn't think Mawile would be that powerful when we first heard about the Mega Evolutions, but with that detail, Mawile could seriously become a massively threatening Pokemon.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I'm in agreement with all of this, though the reason I bold that first statement is because of how that affects Mawile. Doesn't this mean that it can both drop the opponent's attack with Intimidate and immediately attack with the boosts of Huge Power behind it (not to mention its supposed buffs in defenses)? I didn't think Mawile would be that powerful when we first heard about the Mega Evolutions, but with that detail, Mawile could seriously become a massively threatening Pokemon.

Yep you can Intimidate and then Mega-evolve away.

Although despite Huge Power and defense buffs, it's going to need a boost in Speed if it's going to do some worthy damage. Plus it still suffers weaknesses to Fire and Ground, two types that are commonly seen.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Yep you can Intimidate and then Mega-evolve away.

Although despite Huge Power and defense buffs, it's going to need a boost in Speed if it's going to do some worthy damage. Plus it still suffers weaknesses to Fire and Ground, two types that are commonly seen.

Well, yeah, definitely. Though those buffs alone are huge from what Mawile has in 5th Gen, so I can see it going somewhere with this. Not exactly Uber material, maybe not even OU but Mawile could become a viable Pokemon for battles now. There's always Trick Room, as predictable as that can be, though Fire is definitely going to make Mawile suffer.

Floette

Fennekin
I haven't done much competitive battling in 5th gen, so I'm really, really, out of practice. I want to start up in 6th gen, how should I prepare at the moment?

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
I haven't done much competitive battling in 5th gen, so I'm really, really, out of practice. I want to start up in 6th gen, how should I prepare at the moment?

At the developer round table, it was stated that EVs and IVs will become more visible to players. We have already seen this with EVs, but not yet IVs. I would recommend skipping the EV training and IV breeding for now, and just battle to become familiar with people's styles. However, if you are kind or person who has a lot of time on your hands, then maybe you could start IV breeding, transfer them up gen, and EV train in X and Y.

To answer the title question, I also think that this will contribute to the growth of the competitive community.

Puma Italia

I think the Mega Evolutions will be Uber (which should be no surprise to anyone if it happens)

I also hope that we get more defensive options because of how offensive the metagame is right now.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
From seeing the Japanese trailer of the competitive pokemon, as far as roles go, I think in 6th gen, three-fourths of the Kalos pokemon will be defensive over 1 / 4 offense

Out of those defensive pokemon, I think half of them will be purely defensive with status moves and other support moves. The others would be bulky offense.

Maybe Kalos is the more defensive variant of Unova as far as I can see it in my opinion

Puma Italia

From seeing the Japanese trailer of the competitive pokemon, as far as roles go, I think in 6th gen, three-fourths of the Kalos pokemon will be defensive over 1 / 4 offense

Out of those defensive pokemon, I think half of them will be purely defensive with status moves and other support moves. The others would be bulky offense.

Maybe Kalos is the more defensive variant of Unova as far as I can see it in my opinion

What trailer of competitive Pokemon are you talking about? I hope you are right about 3/4 being defensive, 5th gen was just ridiculous with all of the offensive threats.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
What trailer of competitive Pokemon are you talking about? I hope you are right about 3/4 being defensive, 5th gen was just ridiculous with all of the offensive threats.

The trailer I'm talking about is where Sylveon, Noivern, Pangoro, Ferrothorn, Gallade, Marowak, Politoed, and that Psychic/Dark Squid with Topsy like move make an appearance in a double battle. You know, where Sylve took a Life Orb? Hydro Pump like a pro and Moon Blasts Politoed to oblivion.

See, I got that defensive pokemon inspiration from seeing that Japanese trailer. I only find Noivern to be the frail one on that video. Which gives me an idea that possibly, new defensive Kalos pokemon will populate that generation.

garretslarrity

Unova Champion

Don't forget that having too many defensive Pokemon in the competitive arena will increase the amount of time each battle takes. If too many competitive grade defensive Pokemon are introduced in X and Y, I am a little bit afraid about battles taking too long and therefore being as not as fun.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^I know. I can respect those who like the previous generations above this one, but I don't think I'd like too many stall fests filled with Snorlax/Suicune...

Then again, I rather dislike the introduction of Terrakion in this generation for being absurdly good as well as something I'm not willing to commit to capturing (IV's make me worried I won't get a good enough 'Mon...).

I would appreciate s'more defensive types.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
The trailer I'm talking about is where Sylveon, Noivern, Pangoro, Ferrothorn, Gallade, Marowak, Politoed, and that Psychic/Dark Squid with Topsy like move make an appearance in a double battle. You know, where Sylve took a Life Orb? Hydro Pump like a pro and Moon Blasts Politoed to oblivion.

See, I got that defensive pokemon inspiration from seeing that Japanese trailer. I only find Noivern to be the frail one on that video. Which gives me an idea that possibly, new defensive Kalos pokemon will populate that generation.

Yeah I saw that video. Not sure where you're getting that idea from though, the only defensive pokemon I saw was Sylveon. Pangoro and Noivern seemed offensive, and Malamar got a more support-ish role. But it does show that Sylveon will be a great Special wall, seems like 130 HP /110 SDef base stats.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Not sure if any of you noticed, but according to the main site, Pokemon Amie will have effects in battle. One of the effects is to change the in-battle text (which doesn't have too much relevance), but there are 4 other effects that could have a pretty large effect on the metagame. Here's the list:

Critical Hit Ratio: The ratio of Critical Hits is increased
Evasion: The Pokémon's evasion is increased
Paralysis: The Pokémon has a chance of healing itself from paralysis
Survival: The Pokémon has a chance of enduring a hit which would have knocked it out

The first two (which are confirmed), if they are common, will make the game considerably more luck based than it already is, which is unfortunate. The other two (which appear as if they're effects but have not been confirmed as of yet) would also serve the same purpose, with Pokemon randomly healing from a previously permanent (well, if you don't have Heal Bell, etc) status condition, as well as gaining a free Focus Sash with actually having to use the item. Now, it is unclear of how often these effects will occur, how easy they will be to obtain, or if they'll be available in Wifi/Simulator battling, but if they are possible in competitive battles, they could/would have a drastic effect on the metagame. Thoughts from you people?

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Not sure if any of you noticed, but according to the main site, Pokemon Amie will have effects in battle. One of the effects is to change the in-battle text (which doesn't have too much relevance), but there are 4 other effects that could have a pretty large effect on the metagame. Here's the list:

Survival: The Pokémon has a chance of enduring a hit which would have knocked it out

The first two (which are confirmed), if they are common, will make the game considerably more luck based than it already is, which is unfortunate. The other two (which appear as if they're effects but have not been confirmed as of yet) would also serve the same purpose, with Pokemon randomly healing from a previously permanent (well, if you don't have Heal Bell, etc) status condition, as well as gaining a free Focus Sash with actually having to use the item. Now, it is unclear of how often these effects will occur, how easy they will be to obtain, or if they'll be available in Wifi/Simulator battling, but if they are possible in competitive battles, they could/would have a drastic effect on the metagame. Thoughts from you people?

I really need to keep up with the news.....

It's Definitely something I wouldn't like, though the paralysis thing seems okay. Definitely going to have a big effect on the metagame if they implement it in Wi-Fi battles and simulators. For one, low accuracy moves like Fire blast and Stone edge are going to be used less. Abilities like Shell Armor may actually become viable, and every single battle you have will be hax infested.

I definitely hope they don't implement it in Simulators at least......

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins

oh dear. this doesnt please me at all. it will just add more hax into the game. i do, however, like the par recovery idea. par can be game changing at times. the survival one would stop your sweep cold, causing comebcks to become near impossible.

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
I'm very curious about how these new Mega Evolved Pokémon will be implemented in the metagame, whether they will be counted as separated Pokémon, or as part of who they are. Personally, I hope they will be counted as one entire Pokémon, since Mega Evolution is not an actual evolution as we know it, but rather some kind of form, where the Pokémon's power is increased only in battle.
Therefore, I think it will make most sense, if the Pokémon is counted as one, since it is still the same Pokémon.

It has also been stated, that you can only have one Mega Evolved Pokémon in your party per battle, which could make it some kind of trumph card, which I think could be interesting. Perhaps there will be an entirely new tier only for Mega Pokémon, since it is a very different mechanic of the game. I'm very excited to find out more. :)

oh dear. this doesnt please me at all. it will just add more hax into the game. i do, however, like the par recovery idea. par can be game changing at times. the survival one would stop your sweep cold, causing comebcks to become near impossible.

I imagine that this sort of thing will just be banned in competitive battles. Pokemon Amie is something outside of the battles themselves, so it would most likely not be included in the coding of simulators. I think of this like the Wonder Launcher; even though it was introduced to be a part of player vs player battles, it was optional and was banned from standard competitive matches for various reasons.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
I'm very curious about how these new Mega Evolved Pokémon will be implemented in the metagame, whether they will be counted as separated Pokémon, or as part of who they are. Personally, I hope they will be counted as one entire Pokémon, since Mega Evolution is not an actual evolution as we know it, but rather some kind of form, where the Pokémon's power is increased only in battle.
Therefore, I think it will make most sense, if the Pokémon is counted as one, since it is still the same Pokémon.

It has also been stated, that you can only have one Mega Evolved Pokémon in your party per battle, which could make it some kind of trumph card, which I think could be interesting. Perhaps there will be an entirely new tier only for Mega Pokémon, since it is a very different mechanic of the game. I'm very excited to find out more. :)

The last point is what I hope Nintendo/Game Freak clarify soon, because at the moment it could either mean 1) you can only have one Mega Evolution on your entire team or 2) have only one Mega Evolution on your side of the field. The latter option, while still harming Doubles and Triples, would open up quite a few more options for Singles as you would not be restricted in the use of Mega Evolutions.

AnakBaé

Damn I'm pretty sure I've missed this news. 1 mega/ team sounds like a good deal tbh.

I imagine that this sort of thing will just be banned in competitive battles. Pokemon Amie is something outside of the battles themselves, so it would most likely not be included in the coding of simulators. I think of this like the Wonder Launcher; even though it was introduced to be a part of player vs player battles, it was optional and was banned from standard competitive matches for various reasons.
I don't think they will exclude Pokeamie from simulators or the metagame. Unlike Wonder Launcher which relies on items, Pokeamie actually affects the Pokemon (like an upgraded version of happiness). In simulator we will probably given the option to max the pokeamie stats. Granting a tremendous hax boost to each poke. I wont like it tbh, since the game will turn into a more luck based game, but hell, I'm lookin forward to see how that thing works lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.