• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
I wonder...

Does Geomancy work in a similar manner to Wish? If it does, that could definitely be used to mess with your opponents in Uber. It'd such to try and take out Xerneas with a super-effective sludge bomb or iron head just to find out the stat boost are going to Dialga. And than there is also the odd Uber rotation battle...Maybe in a lower tier, but base 90 attack just won't cut it for OU. Especially with 60 base HP and 70 defense.

Agreed. And its low speed doesn't really allow it to really outsmart the foe since it's going last with the exception of Trick room.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Bulky offense is looking to be the type of team with the least flaws this generation, but a good stall team using passive damage is still perfectly possible.
The Mega-evolutions are the main thing saving the Hyper offense from death, at least, from my speculated knowledge.

Toxic posioning is probably the best thing you're going to run into when it comes to indirect damage.
From my experience as a stall player, I would say that hazards are easily a stall team's best way of doing damage, which is obvious and I think everyone will agree with me on that. However, following this, as we are discussing a metagame in which hazards are weak, I would argue that using weak attacks + burn is much better at doing damage than bad poison (which would come third in my eyes). The burn does passive damage every turn, as well as buffering against physical attacks. The weak attacks from un-EVd stats allow you to kill it a bit faster. Toxic Spikes are unreliable, they don't affect flying types and they are removed by poison types. Although Will-o-Wisp does have a tendency to miss, it can be used well in safe circumstances (i.e. If Jellicent has forced a switch, it could use Will-o-Wisp on that turn to catch a unwary physical attacker. If you fail then switch to your blanket physical wall). Also, the only type to resist burn is weak to Scald, which means you can easily Scald spam to get good effects.

Also, while Defog helps extremely, entry hazards are still going to be used on a stall team. They will choose pokemon that can continuously set up these entry hazards, even if they get defoged. It's not immpossible, but with how powerful stealth rocks, spikes, toxic spikes, and the new sticky web are, we needed something to limit or reduce entry hazard use.
Completely agree. A fast spinner such as Starmie can only spin 3 times or so in a match. It will be the same situation with Defog, and almost all Defoggers are weak to SR anyway. Mandibuzz and Scizor are the only Defoggers which can actually take some hits.

Yikes. Stall just keeps taking one punch to the face after another...
Personally, I see Hyper Offense getting along just fine, so long as people get used to dealing with sticky web.
I think it's going to lose a lot of popularity, but still be completely viable. Due to the nerfs to many special attacks, it loses a lot of important KOs. Additionally, there haven't been any absolutely gamebreakingly powerful pokemon introduced this generation - with the exception of Mega Gengar. I think HO won't be quite as prevalent as 5th gen, especially as choice dragons won't work.

I should also mention that if sticky web is on both sides of the field, the two teams are put back on even grounds again.
Not entirely true, as Sticky Web only affects grounded pokemon. So if the opponent has more grounded pokemon than you, then they do have a slight disadvantage, especially if their sweeper is grounded and yours isn't.

Volt Turn is going to love Defog. Even though entry hazards are a lot of help to them, they're even more dangerous when used against them. It's also got protean Greninja to work alongside it now, which will probably be a huge asset.
This is so true, and scary to me as someone who hated Volt-turn in late BW1. :eek:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Blaziken's been banned already apparently.
Oh dear... But there's no metagame Smogon...

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I highly doubt it'll be OU. . .

Currently it is OU. It will very likely be banned once bans are actually in place.

On the topic of really broken crap, Mega Gengar will be almost certainly banned. 170 SAtk, 130 Spe, one STAB type that has amazing neutral coverage, one that kills Fairies, Perish Song and Destiny Bond, oh, and Shadow Tag.

Currently it is OU. It will very likely be banned once bans are actually in place.

On the topic of really broken crap, Mega Gengar will be almost certainly banned. 170 SAtk, 130 Spe, one STAB type that has amazing neutral coverage, one that kills Fairies, Perish Song and Destiny Bond, oh, and Shadow Tag.

I suppose I should have reworded that, I doubt it'll remain OU.

I see mGengar getting the banHammer as well. The only thing to really even decently make an attempt to take it out is Aegislash of course, and Scarf'd Gengar.
Scarf Gengar is the perfect unexpected sweeper this gen.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I suppose I should have reworded that, I doubt it'll remain OU.

I see mGengar getting the banHammer as well. The only thing to really even decently make an attempt to take it out is Aegislash of course, and Scarf'd Gengar.
Scarf Gengar is the perfect unexpected sweeper this gen.
And Mega Mawile after Hazards, with Sucker Punch.

And Mega Mawile after Hazards, with Sucker Punch.

lol perish song
lol substitute
and if you predicted those and iron headed, lol destiny bond

Surprised we haven't seen much on Talonflame. Second strongest priority attack in GW Brave Bird (Yveltal Sucker Punch is stronger), combined with Swords Dance and priority Roost. SR weakness sucks, but Defog's buff can partially fix that.

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
The only things getting an immediate ban (aside from obvious ubers like palkia, dialga, etc) are Skymin, Darkrai, and Moody.

Got this from a member of ou council so yea...

I can see a Pokemon like Serperior becoming useful vs sticky web.

Contrary vs Sticky Web = win.

The main counter I could see for this is talonflame since it has priority flying moves and a resistance to most of serperior's moveset (besides aqua tail and HP rock).

McDanger

I can see a Pokemon like Serperior becoming useful vs sticky web.

Contrary vs Sticky Web = win.

The main counter I could see for this is talonflame since it has priority flying moves and a resistance to most of serperior's moveset (besides aqua tail and HP rock).

contrary still isn't confirmed, it was seen on an AIs team

sticky web is an interesting concept but tbh isn't to good in OU as you have to use a sub-par bug, the best being galvantula, and often isn't worth the spot in the long run, in low tiers however it'll be good especially since UU and RU will gain a fairly large power increase of stuff that falls in usage

contrary still isn't confirmed, it was seen on an AIs team

sticky web is an interesting concept but tbh isn't to good in OU as you have to use a sub-par bug, the best being galvantula, and often isn't worth the spot in the long run, in low tiers however it'll be good especially since UU and RU will gain a fairly large power increase of stuff that falls in usage

I agree with these points on Sticky Web, although Galvantula is a decent Pokemon outside of Sticky Web. 91% accurate attack equivalent in power to Noivern's Hurricane alongside an auxiliary STAB with good coverage and Energy Ball/Giga Drain (for Pokebank OU) for others.

SW I do see single-handedly propelling Galvantula into low OU, as it pretty much nullifies any Choice Scarf mons without Levitate or a Flying typing, and gives a pseudo-Scarf to your Pokemon when they're facing a non-scarfer.

The only things getting an immediate ban (aside from obvious ubers like palkia, dialga, etc) are Skymin, Darkrai, and Moody.

Got this from a member of ou council so yea...

Well naturally, that doesn't mean there won't be things that get an automatic suspect testing when tiers do come out.

I highly doubt it'll be OU. . .

Oh, there's a really good chance it'll be tested in the near futures. If not Blaziken itself, the Blazikenite may end up being banned at the very least. However, it is unbanned at the moment. In fact, I had a really fun little ladder excursion with one a few days ago.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I agree with these points on Sticky Web, although Galvantula is a decent Pokemon outside of Sticky Web. 91% accurate attack equivalent in power to Noivern's Hurricane alongside an auxiliary STAB with good coverage and Energy Ball/Giga Drain (for Pokebank OU) for others.

SW I do see single-handedly propelling Galvantula into low OU, as it pretty much nullifies any Choice Scarf mons without Levitate or a Flying typing, and gives a pseudo-Scarf to your Pokemon when they're facing a non-scarfer.

The fact that Sticky Web is buffed in terms of changing the speed tie, a theoretical move to consider in conjunction with Sticky web is Electroweb. In one instance lets say your Galvantula is a suicide lead variant, as the enemy switches out to a scarfed flying type just to avoid the sticky web, you could use Electroweb to reduce aid flying type scarfer's speed (except for Thundurus and Landorus in their therian forms). Not the best, but a considerable option.

The fact that Sticky Web is buffed in terms of changing the speed tie, a theoretical move to consider in conjunction with Sticky web is Electroweb. In one instance lets say your Galvantula is a suicide lead variant, as the enemy switches out to a scarfed flying type just to avoid the sticky web, you could use Electroweb to reduce aid flying type scarfer's speed (except for Thundurus and Landorus in their therian forms). Not the best, but a considerable option.

The main issue with this is that Sticky Web lowers speed on the switchin. There's no reason to switch out on a suicide Galvy, as all that does is give them a free Sticky Web and two turns to do what they please. Electroweb is pretty useless on a lead Galvantula.

Plays out like this:

Metagross vs. Galvantula

Metagross uses Earthquake, bringing Galvantula down to 20%.

Galvantula uses Electroweb predicting a Latios switch. It does pittance to the Metagross, and it finishes you with Bullet Punch. Your lead is gone, you have no Sticky Web, and your slow mons are stuck slow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.