• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon XD^3: The Waves of Truth

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~

The epitome of grace
2: Shadow Pokémon and All That Jazz! (Mysterious Laboratory! Lovrina and Shadow Styler?!)

3: It Will All be Mine (Legend of the Crystalline Pokémon! Suicune Fanatic Enters?)

4: First Pokémon Contest! Return of Harley!

Yes, you read that right. He's baaaaaaaaaack........

2. That seems like a "Chicago" reference. Am I right, or am I right? I think it's appropriate since the first Shadow styler is the saxophone.

2. You know, I think it might be Eusine. It seems to rush if you think about two admins appearing in back to back chapters..

4. Ahh, so the Contests return? That probably means we hear from other contest characters too, such as Drew, May, ect. I can't wait.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
i enjoyed that chapter, it's good to see that atilla and hun are back, and that roserade is still naughty!

YAHOO!!!! harley's back!!!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
2. That seems like a "Chicago" reference. Am I right, or am I right? I think it's appropriate since the first Shadow styler is the saxophone.

It was a pun on the expression "all that jazz," nothing more. I've never even seen Chicago.

2. You know, I think it might be Eusine. It seems to rush if you think about two admins appearing in back to back chapters..

It is Eusine......but a new Admin appears, too. I wonder if you could guess his identity if I told you he wears a red hat, appears in DP and was on Serebii's front page sometime this year.

4. Ahh, so the Contests return? That probably means we hear from other contest characters too, such as Drew, May, ect. I can't wait.

You got that right. If there's Harley, there's May---and let me tell you up front: if you like Drew, you won't like him after this. Muh huh huh......

Brandon- Regigigas
Lovrina- Suicune
Gorigan- Giradina

Well, you got Brandon right because I already revealed his.

I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a spoiler to reveal that the main Admins will have TWO Shadow Stylers, controlling a Stage 2 Pokémon in the first battle, and a Legendary in the second.

Example: In Chapter 2, Lovrina's saxophone controls her Shadow Togekiss.

Divinity_123

shove 'er in! ;O
Eusine makes me LOL! Eusine seems like a gay guy to me. He stalks you in Crystal! ^__^

but a new Admin appears, too. I wonder if you could guess his identity if I told you he wears a red hat, appears in DP and was on Serebii's front page sometime this year.
CURSES! I don't have DP! ARGGH!

You got that right. If there's Harley, there's May---and let me tell you up front: if you like Drew, you won't like him after this. Muh huh huh......
Too bad I don't follow the anim. anymore. That Harley guy seems cool. I'd rather call him cactus man but *shrugs*

Y'anyways, gotta describe those new DP a bit better in my honest to goodness opinion.

I will personally see to it that these three heed your command, my queen," Snattle said in his deep, yet drama queen-ish voice. He was brown-nosing Queen Shadow to earn her favor---something he did quite often---then he turned to Brandon, Yung and Gordor. "Well, kick it into gear, you fools! Get going! Back to the lab!"

And with that, Snattle was off like a shot. Brandon, Yung and Gordor followed behind him sullenly.
LOLZ! Yung got demoted! And is being ordered around by everyone's hated admin--SNATTY-kun!

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Then why don't you say it instead of Spamming?

2: Shadow Pokémon and All That Jazz! (Mysterious Laboratory! Lovrina and Shadow Styler?!)

3: It Will All be Mine (Legend of the Crystalline Pokémon! Suicune Fanatic Enters?)

4: First Pokémon Contest! Return of Harley!

2. Huh, figures that you haven't seen Chicago. The title would seen a bit unwieldy. But it is apt, considering the Shadow Styler's based on a saxophone...does that sound weird to you?

3. I could swear that sounds like a Frank Sinatra song. As for that new Admin...he appeared this year, on Serebii.net itself?...I'll have to say the closest is Hyouta but that doesn't make any sense. I might also go with the Magma Colosseum Leader in PBR, Dai, because of his Groudon hat of DOOM!!

4. Meh, I couldn't care less about Drew, I just don't think what else Harley can do. But then that's his speciality...

'He's a killer QUEEEEEN, gunpowder, gelatine! Dynamite with a laser beam! Guaranteed to blow your mind...any tiiiime!"

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hiya Great Butler! =D

Eh, I plan to review the prologue before you posted the first chapter but I have been busy with uni work. At the moment I am done with most of the assignments that are going to be due in a few days or so, so I have time to do this *short* review. =0

PROLOGUE

Aw, so this sets the stage for this story, huh? Well, here are the things that I like about this prologue.

-Queen Shadow is back, oh my! =O
-Some character development in Rich. I really like how you put him wanting to spend some time with his daughter instead of just battle, battle, battle. Oh, and the two playing Pokemon Revoltuion is a cute scene. ^^ (Dang it, I can't wait to play Pokemon Revolution when it comes to the US! XD)
-Olvia is so cute! ^__^

I actually saw some improvement in your description. Still, you could do a bit a little more on the emotional department. For instance, I saw you still do this :

"..................." Jamie was blank. "Mr. Mistbloom, sir.....I'm sorry, but I can't.....I just can't deny him his match when he wants it. This kid could be our biggest draw ever. People are talking about him like no other challenger. Have you been watching the Houen News Network? They've been following Brendan's Battle Frontier challenge like it was a Moltres sighting in Larousse City! This thing is huge, sir, and as regrettable as it is that I must tear you away from your family, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm sorry."

"......fine. Tell the organizers I'll be over there in a few."

In this part, you could have put a little bit more. You could have put on what are some thoughts Rich was thinking about.

So yeah, instead of just have Person A say something and Person B first speechless then talk, put some thoughts Person B has. ^_^

CHAPTER ONE

I actually saw some improvement in your battle scenes. Saw some emotions and even Rich’s emotions in there. Also, you put the injuries the Pokemon has, like Mitsuhoney having some burns. For that, good job! ^__^

And I just have to say this: Yippee, Harley is back! XD

Well, before I go, I want to say this. Because of uni work and me probably going to get a job soon, I will probably won’t be able to review/read. Well, I might be able to read but not write very long reviews and how you can improve and such. ^0^ Yeah, you might say life is more important then this fic. True, but I always like to see the authors improve. ^__^

Well, good luck on the second chapter! I hope I will be able to at least read it!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Yes, the "jazz" thing was the pun because of the saxophone, a common jazz instrument.

Hyota, yes.

Get the pun now? "It will all be MINE?"

Doc........please, PLEASE give me permission to use that as Harley's theme song (the "killer queen" rhyme) !!! That is too freaking awesome for words!

Glad to see you back, Bay!

The initial scene---Rich and Olivia playing PBR---I cooked up as a way to do two things: one, work out my current obsession with PBR into the story, and two, to show how Rich's changed (something you picked up on). Think about it---in XD^1 he had nothing on his mind but revenge until the very end, when the carpet was pulled out from under him and everything was revealed to be the opposite of what it seemed. By XD^2 he had more to think about, what with his marriage to Anabel and then her pregnancy in the middle of the story. Now seven years have passed, so obviously things have changed.

I see your point about people's thoughts....I can definitely see where I could've inserted a few lines to enrich the scene a bit. But still, baby steps are better than no steps at all, right?

Good luck with......wait, you called it "uni???" Now you're starting to sound like Serebii Joe! *rimshot*

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
You do have my permission but it isn't mine. It's the lyrics to the chorus of the classic 'Killer Queen'. It was originally written by Queen and featured on the game Guitar Hero. But you're right, it's lyrics are AWESOME and PWN ALL, and it's got the best guitar solo EVAR.

Do you have Queen Greatest Hits in America? If so, get it, it's Track 15. Geez, we sound like a couple of stoned teenagers.

"Dude..."

"I know, man..."

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
EDIT: It got posted before I finished. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Well, a late review for another great Chapter! I'm really sorry about the lateness, I just couldn't seem to find the time to type up the review...

Anyway! Just a very minor typo to start and get it out of the way:
"Mitsuhoney, the baby bee Pokémon. Type is Bug/Flying. It is one Pokémon made up of three bodies, and diligently collects honey for a Beequeen. It carries all the honey it collects back to its living place. At night, many Mitsuhoney pile up and form a hive to stay warm while sleeping. Only female Mitsuhoney can evolve into Beequeen, and they are denoted by the red spot on the bottom face."
You forgot to enter the "/" in the brackets...

I enjoyed the occurences in the plot, particularly the way that Rich and Anabel immediately leaped onto Yung when Rosemary said "mirages." Just amusing, that. I also feel rather sorry for the old mayor. And the Mistbloom family. Seriously, every time they go on a vacation something crazy seems to happen.

*rolls up sleeves* Ok. Now, your descriptioin has improved drastically, but I shall take it upon myself to help it get even better. Or try. ;) Seriously, though, I'll give you some suggestions for improvements. 'Cause while you are describing things fairly well, some of the descriptions don't quite flow in the sentences. Like so:

"Oh, that's no problem." Rich didn't seem concerned. "In about three seconds....."
This would work a little better if you phrased it as "Rich said, unconcerned." Just don't forget to change the comma in the first speech sentence!

"That's IT!" Rich flew up out of his chair furiously, drew a Poké Ball from his belt, and pointed it at Roserade. "You can misbehave all you want but you do NOT lay one finger on my daughter!"
Like before, it would work better if you merged the speech with the description. Like so: "Rich exclaimed furiously, leaping from his chair. He drew Roserade's Poké Ball from his belt and pointed it at the unpredictable Pokémon."

"Okay, I think Anabel and Olivia wouldn't mind. I'll go." Rich did seem eager in his volunteering.
I really think that if you get the hang of merging the speech and description, half of the problems would disappear. Here, I think something like "Rich said eagerly, not waiting to consider the opinions of his family before volunteering them." Perhaps it's not the best fit, but I think you get the picture... And remember, as usual, to change the period before it to a comma! ;)

"Is that it, Domino?" Queen Shadow seemed bored, and her voice reflected that.
Another merger would work quite well, and here I think you've extended the description past what is necessary. Try "Queen Shadow asked, in a bored tone."

Hope this helps a bit!

And another comment: you have drastically cut down on your ellipses, so a thumbs up to you! But try not to replace them with other things, like "~" or dashes.

Overall, another nice read, and I hope to see more soon!

Until we meet again...
;150;

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I am drowning in your praise ^_^

But to be less arrogant for a moment....oops, there are those ellipses again. I am definitely trying to improve description, I'm sure you can see. But at the same time I don't want to end up with something I find personally painful to read because of OVER-description. I'm sure you can see my predicament.

I'm sure you all see the new Rich designed by Suicune613 of Pokémon Valley on my Trainer Card. (I'm going to do a new Adio since I'm now using a Kurotsugu recolor as Rich.) But what in the world could this be?

[img139]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4209/darkrichot7.png[/img139]

The mystery of Dark Rich begins.......

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
Mmm... Dark Rich, huh? Well, I predict that
1. The Pokélantis Emperor will come back and possess Rich again. Maybe he wasn't truly defeated last time, and since the legends of Pokélantis are being brought up once again, perhaps its evil emperor might show his ugly face as well.

2. Or maybe ES will program a Shadow Styler with, rather than a Pokémon, Rich as its coded target. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get one little DNA from him... ;) Then they bring it near him and play it, and voila! Shadow Rich! Not quite Dark Rich, but I think you get the point. Also, it would sort of fit in with Queen Shadow's original intention of creating Shadow humans, all the way back from the first Pokémon XD that The Great Butler wrote.

Anyway...
The Great Butler said:
But to be less arrogant for a moment....oops, there are those ellipses again. I am definitely trying to improve description, I'm sure you can see. But at the same time I don't want to end up with something I find personally painful to read because of OVER-description. I'm sure you can see my predicament.
One other little comment about the ellipses: they're usually only three or four dots long, rather than however many you've been using in the story (six or seven per ellipse, usually). Anyway, apart from this random comment, I wanted to clarify something. I most certainly do not want you to overdescribe. I simply want to help you make the sentences flow better with the description. If you look at my suggestions for your previous Chapter, all of them have to do with making the sentence structure easier to read, rather than trying to flood it with description. Just an attempt to help you integrate the description better, that's all.

As usual, there's no offense intended. I just wanted to clarify something. ;)

P.S. Are you reading anyone else's fics again? 'Cause your reviews are sorely missed...

Until we meet again...
;150;

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chapter 1, continued......
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't too far down the road from the mayor's home that the Postmaster's Office was located. It wasn't easy to miss, either---you'd probably recognize a giant wooden Pelipper standing out among normal buildings. The Pelipper's bill was propped up and open by a pair of thick wood poles, normally to allow the staff of mail-carrying Pelipper trained by the workers to fly in and out. But like everything else in the town, the office was dead quiet outside......and like Harlan's home, loud noises were coming from inside.

"We've got to go in," Rosemary declared as she took a bold step toward the door of the office. "I'll explain later but those machine parts could cause total catastrophe if they fell into the wrong hands."

"We've been in THAT situation before, Anabel...." Rich mumbled.

"Don't you know it," she replied as she pulled Olivia close. "Time to knock up a few heads, I think. Let's do this!"

On Anabel's cue all four shoved into the door of the Pelipper building, crashing through and into the office. Inside, a man and woman dressed in the same armor as Edward's were holding the workers---clad in blue and white uniforms with Pelipper caps---hostage along with the Pelippers themselves.

"You know what we want!" the man shouted threateningly. "Hand over that package and noone gets hurt!"

"Of course," the woman added with a smirk, "if you'd rather not, we could always take it by force. It's your choice."

"You two!" Rich called out, taking a step forward to face the crooks. "What are you doing here?! You've no right to hold these people hostage and the package you seek isn't yours!"

"Mufufufufu......" Even though Rich's group had broken in without warning, the shady man was calm as he turned around to face them, his female accomplice turning quickly after. "Ah, Rich Mistbloom and his little travelling show. We've been expecting you."

"What do you mean 'we?' Who are you working for?" Anabel questioned pointedly.

"Mommy, what's happening? I'm scared..."

"It's okay, Olivia, nothing's going to happen. Daddy'll beat these two and we'll be fine." Anabel pulled Olivia even closer, and the young girl wrapped her arms around her mother's legs.

"We could tell you," the woman said, "but that would ruin the fun, I think."

"I concur. We came here to pick up an important package for our boss, so leave us be and we'll be out of your hair in no time."

"That package is mine!" Rosemary countered. "You know that, so you just stand aside and give it over!"

"Mufufufu..........fine, I see we'll have to play some games. Janie!"

"Yes, sir!" the woman replied, standing at attention.

"Crush him at once! We won't be having any more fools cutting in on our plan!"

"Very well. Don't cry after I beat you, kid. It's your own fault for meddling!"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Hood Janie
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Porygon, Unown, come on out!"

Janie's selections were a Normal type Porygon---the rough-edged early form of Porygon3---and a black Psychic type Unown in the shape of the letter 'G.'

"This one won't be too hard. Go, Lucario and Melo---"

As soon as Lucario came out of its Poké Ball, Roserade released itself and entered battle instead of Melodic. Rich could only put his hand on his face in exasperated frustration.

"Oh, what am I going to..........bah, forget it. Lucario, Hi Jump Kick now!"

"LuCAR!!!" With its fierce battle cry, Lucario lept like a rocket towards Porygon with its right leg extended and ready to strike.

"Porygon, dodge with Agility!"

Just as Lucario's attack was about to make contact, Porygon began to use great speed in its escape attempt---but it failed and was caught on the foot by the Hi Jump Kick. Both Pokémon crashed into the tan-painted wall of the office with a sickening crunch. Porygon was injured but escaped, however Lucario fell to the ground clutching its leg and moaning in pain.

"Oh no! Lucario, are you okay?"

"He won't be for long. Unown, Hidden Power!"

Janie's command was laced with verbal venom, and her tiny Unown recieved it perfectly. As the oddly shaped creature focused its mind and body, orbs of energy began floating around it---and they were red, meaning that this Unown possessed a Fire type Hidden Power.....the worst thing for a Steel type like Rich's helpless Lucario to take, especially when injured. Unown loosed the energy orbs, which exploded into fireballs when they hit their target.

"Luccccaaaar......IIOOOO!!!!" Lucario wailed as the flames scorched its body. It couldn't stand up and defend itself thanks to its injured leg, and was breathing heavily in weakness.

"Rich, do something!" Anabel shouted. "Lucario's hurt! Get it out of the battle right away!"

"You're right, I've got no choice." Rich pulled a Poké Ball from his belt and pointed it at Lucario, who was pulled back in by the red beam. "Take a good rest, Lucario. Now......go, my friend! Melodic!"

This time Rich was able to send out the correct Pokémon, his gorgeous golden Melodic. He wasted no time in going back into battle.

"Roserade, this isn't the best situation but we've got to make it work. Sleep Powder, go!"

"Rossssseh." With a gentle cry, Roserade lifted its bouquets and scattered a thick, pink powder from them. As soon as this powder wafted over Unown, the symbol Pokémon closed its eye and fell forward, dead asleep.

"Aaah!!" Janie screamed, what was visible of her face reddening in anger. "Don't think you're getting away with it that easily. Porygon, Zap Cannon! It's all or nothing!"

"Poooorrrry......." Porygon's humming got louder and louder as it charged, and a rapidly expanding ball of electrical energy formed before it. After a few moments Porygon let out one final cry and sent the crackling sphere thundering into Melodic.

Obviously, since Melodic was a Water type it was hurt quite badly, also taking paralysis from the blast. For some time it simply held its head back, eyes closed, as sparks shot from its body. Oddly, however, it soon began to glow a tender yet powerful purple shade.

"Huh? What is that?" Janie wondered, taken aback by this turn of events.

"It's me about to pummel you. Paralysis activates Melodic's Coral Scale ability, making it more defensive than ever, and it also powers up this---Facade!"

The purple turned into a red-green aura enveloping Melodic, and the beautiful Pokémon lunged forward with all its might to tackle its already-weakened opponent. Porygon reeled back, having lost its senses, then collapsed and fainted.

"Bah! Useless thing. Return, Porygon! Go, Shuckle!"

Like Edward, Jamie's third Pokémon was her last. Similar to his Mitsuhoney, Janie's Shuckle had an empty, soulless expression that gave Rich the impression that it was a Shadow Pokémon despite having no way of knowing.

"Looks like you creeps made more than just that Shadow Mitsuhoney. Let's deal with them quickly, Roserade----Leaf Storm!"

Suddenly, Roserade became almost hyperactive, leaping into the air with a shrill cry. It pointed its bouquet arms straight for the snoozing Unown opposite it, and launched a brutal blizzard of sharp leaves at its target. Unown did awaken as its body was buffeted by the attack---but just like that, it fainted. Janie recoiled in angry shock.

"None of this is working, none of it at all! Return, Unown! Shuckle, use Shadow Half now!"

"Shuckkkk......." With a dull cry matching its soulless look, Shuckle withdrew its wormlike head and legs into its shell, then began spinning around. This sent a wave of shadow energy floating sharply from its body and descending onto all the Pokémon in battle, halving their health.

"Perfect, we can do this. Melodic, finish this up with Water Pulse!"

Janie realized all too late that in her effort to weaken Rich's Pokémon, she had laid the groundwork for her own defeat---as Shadow Half cuts the health of its user, too. Despite its struggling with paralysis, Melodic managed to charge up and release a sonic wave of water in Shuckle's direction, scoring the super-effective hit necessary to defeat the Shadow Pokémon.

"I fell too? What's going on?"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"This isn't over! We'll meet again!" Janie shouted curtly before running away.

"Well good riddance," Rich said in the direction of the door before turning back to the remaining crook. "Now for you. Feel like giving up yet, or do I have to pound it into you?"

"Whatever," the criminal answered, seemingly disinterested. "Since you've beaten Edward and Janie, I might as well tell you the truth. We're Enigma Shadow!"

"You're WHAT?!!!" Anabel's face froze into a twisted expression of shock and fear.

"You heard me, Enigma Shadow. Ever since the temporary boss, Dr. Yung, got wiped by you fools seven years ago, we've been in hiding, nursing our wounds and preparing for our big curtain call. And you know what, this is it! After seven years of hard work, we're on the cusp of a breakthrough and there's nothing you can do now to stop us!"

"You'll be singing a different tune after a battle with me," Rich countered boldly. "Unless you're too cowardly."

"Hmph. I don't think so. Let's see you put your money where your mouth is!"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Peon Larson

"Come on, boy, show me what you've got! Go, Naetle and Hikozaru!"

The two Poké Balls Larson threw released a tiny green turtle Pokémon with a single leaf growing from its head, and a red-and-tan monkey with a flame on its tail---both Pokémon Rich had never seen before, so he immediately went for the P*DA.

"Naetle, the young leaf Pokémon. Type is Grass. The shell on its back, made of soil, grows even stronger when it absorbs water. It lives in areas close to lakes. Using its whole body, it carries out photosynthesis, making oxygen with its whole body. If a Naetle becomes thirsty, the leaf on its head will wilt.

Hikozaru, the young monkey Pokémon. Tyoe is Fire. It climbs up cliff walls agilely and lives on top of rock mountains. The flame on its tail goes out when it is asleep. The gas produced in its stomach acts as fuel to the flame on its tail. The flame doesn’t go out even in rain."

"I guess since you're the new Enigma Shadow, new Pokémon are what you'll use. Melodic, Slowking, here we go! Take the offensive quickly with Hydro Pump!"

Melodic uncoiled its long, golden, serpentine body, and focused on the Hikozaru seemingly cowering below it. It then quickly loosed a jet of pressurized water in an attempt to catch Hikozaru off guard, but at the last moment, the monkey Pokémon lept away and escaped harm.

"Good work, Hikozaru! Now, use Helping Hand to power up Naetle's Seed Bomb!"

"Hiko! Hiko! Zaaaaaruuuuu!!!!" With great energy, Hikozaru began jumping and clapping its hands. A red silohette of its form floated into the air and was absorbed by Naetle, who then used this red aura to power itself up and launch a bombardment of explosive seeds from its mouth. This attack caught Melodic---still in its attacking position---off guard, and pummelled it with hits.

"Meloo......melooo......" When the Seed Bomb attack finally ceased, Melodic was bruised in multiple places on its body and breathing heavily.

"I never thought tiny Pokémon could be so threatening....." Rich mumbled to himself as thoughts of anger over his partner and friend's pain filled his mind. He then thrust his fist forward to order his next strike. "Slowking, Surf! Wipe that monkey out!"

Yet again, all it took was a yawn to trigger Slowking's attack. A wave of water materialized and flooded the area, hitting every Pokémon save for Slowking itself. Melodic just shook it off, not hurt much at all, while Naetle---though resistant to Water attacks---got battered around a bit. Hikozaru, however, got its flame figuratively extinguished, screeching as it stumbled back, then fainted.

"Grrrr!" With a snarl Larson recalled his fainted Hikozaru, and threw a fresh Poké Ball. This one released another small Pokémon, a blue and white penguin with large, cute black eyes. "Pochama, go!"

"Ah, so that's a Pochama!" Rich had heard of Pochama from his brother Wallace, who was the Gym Leader of a Water gym at one time, but had never seen one. He went right to his P*DA.

"Pochama, the penguin Pokémon. Type is Water. Pochama have great pride and dislike having to take food from people. The long down on its body protects it from the cold. It is an excellent swimmer that lives in northern countries, on the coastline. To hunt, it can dive underwater for over ten minutes."

"I'll admit, you've got me there. Melodic, come back!" Rich pulled a Poké Ball from his belt and withdrew Melodic, then threw another one. "Porygon3, you're up!"

"It's too little, too late. Pochama, Brick Break!"

It would take great courage to do what Pochama did---it rushed the much larger Porygon3 as if it was a match on equal footing, flailing its tiny front flippers about. Once it came within range it lept up and smashed against Porygon3, knocking the virtual Pokémon aback.

"Naetle, Seed Bomb again! Aim for Slowking!"

"Naetle!! Naaaaee.....tlleeeeeeeeee!!!!" The Grass-type turtle Pokémon loosed another barrage of exploding seeds, this one at Slowking. Strangely, though, Slowking simply sat there as it was hit.

"Sloooooh.........." It almost seemed oblivious to the fact it was being attacked, causing Naetle to freeze in surprise. Rich smiled broadly at this, as it was a special strategy he had taught Slowking, using its naturally goofy demeanor.

"A tactic of sheer brilliance, my friend! Now, go and show your true colors with Ice Punch!!!"

The change was sudden and mystifying---in the blink of an eye Slowking went from vacant and disconnected to a battle-ready state. Defying its slow nature, the Royal Pokémon sprang forward and drew its right arm back. The same arm soon became like a bullet of ice, and finally Slowking swung it forth and smashed Naetle right in the face. There we no frivoloties about this strike---Naetle simply rolled over and fainted.

"Yes! Great move, Slowking!"

"Sloooooooww.....!!"

Rich and Slowking high-fived as Larson pulled Naetle from battle and threw his last Poké Ball.

"This is it, the final round! Doomirror, go!!"

Out of Larson's final Poké Ball came a fourth tiny creature, about a foot and a half tall. It resembled an iron mirror of sorts, balls lining its circular body and two yellow eyes in the center---the empty eyes of a Shadow Pokémon.

"Hm, so he's pulling another new one. Let's see here..."

Out came the P*DA, and Rich used it to scan Doomirror.

"Doomirror, the bronze Pokémon. Type is Steel/Psychic. Items bearing a great resemblence to that of Doomirror have been found in ancient graveyards, however the relationship between the two is unknown. Scientists have tried using X-ray imaging to examine the inside of its body. However, the exams found nothing at the end."

Rich stared at the odd creature, trying to make sense of it, but no matter how long he looked, it just was too strange.

"That's an odd one, all right. Porygon3, this battle's got to be drawing down now. Take aim with Lock-On!"

"Poh, pory!" Porygon3's eyes flashed, and two red rings came out of them. These rings fused into one, then floated to Pochama and left the mark of an aiming sight on the penguin's chest.

"Pochama, Brick Break again!"

Following its trainer's command, Pochama again courageously rushed Porygon3 and struck with its tiny flippers. But once again, it couldn't do very much.

"Doomirror, Shadow Rush!"

Using its psychic power to levitate, Doomirror turned on its side before cloaking itself in the shadowy aura. It then spun like a ninja star into Porygon3, this time finally causing the Normal type to cry out in pain from the hit. A jagged line marked the place on Porygon3's chest where Doomirror had struck.

"No more of these games! Slowking, take Doomirror out with a Fire Blast! Give it all you've got!"

Slowking opened its mouth wide in one final yawn, and the telltale symbol of Fire Blast came jetting out with a mighty roar. The attack screamed like a jet plane as it flew through the air and enveloped Doomirror, burning it in the inferno it created. When the flames finally dissipated, a battered Doomirror with burn marks all over its body fell down face first, knocked out easily.

"Waaahh........Doomirror, return!" Larson could tell he had no chance now, for he knew what attack was coming by simply reading the expression on Rich's face.

"Time to take advantage of that Lock-On, Porygon3.....ZAP CANNON!! Let's go!"

No matter how much effort it gave to dodging, Pochama couldn't escape. The effect of Lock-On made Porygon3's follow up attack---a large orb of electricity launched in a cannon-like manner---unavoidable. Pochama ran around the room frantically, the Zap Cannon tailing it doggedly, until it tripped on a curled up piece of carpet. It was then that the attack mercilessly assaulted it, finishing it off in an explosive manner.

"Aw, dammit! We'll have to retreat!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"You are good," Larson said, a twinge of sarcasm poisoning the comment. "But I doubt you're good enough. Take the package. It's not like we won't be getting it back.........farewell, until we meet again!"

Larson fled, and as soon as he was gone, the workers crept out from their hiding places. Cautiously they approached Rich as he stowed the Poké Balls containing Slowking and Porygon3.

"Is---is it safe?" one man ventured, clearly shaken.

"Everything's fine now," Rich answered with a strong tone, aiming to reassure the workers. "Just tell us what exactly happened here."

Another worker, this one a rather short woman, opened her mouth to answer but spotted Rosemary before she did.

"Rosemary, I knew it!!" the woman screamed. "Those awful men came here looking for your package!"

"They didn't get it, did they?" Rosemary questioned with great concern. "If those machine parts fell into their hands, time and space would....."

Before Rosemary could finish her sentence, a third worker thrust a large box into her arms.

"There it is. We were lucky you guys showed up when you did. We couldn't have held them off longer."

Rosemary wiped her brow in relief. Clearly her mind was eased a bit by the fact her important package was safely in her possession. After nodding to the postal workers, she turned back to Rich, Anabel and Olivia.

"Well, we'd best be heading back. Once we arrive at my lab I can explain wh----" A ringing sound interrupted Rosemary mid-sentence. It was her P*DA's e-mail signal. "Oh, excuse me.

'Rosemary, it's Mason from the Floria Town Ranger Base.

I know you went off to Okka Town, but I would like to see you right away. There is somet'

......huh?"

"What's wrong?" Anabel edged closer to Rosemary, trying to see the P*DA screen. "Did something come up?"

"Yeah, Anabel, something isn't right. Mason, the Ranger Leader, sent me an e-mail asking me to return and see him, but it cut off in the middle of a word. That's not like him... You don't think that those crooks are behind this, do you?"

Rich's eyes widened. Time after time after time he had seen this scheme play out during his battles with Enigma Shadow: peons would be dispatched to one location to draw him there while a higher ranking member would direct an attack somewhere else.

"Rosemary, we have got to get back to Floria Town NOW," he finally said, dubiously. "If my guess is correct, Enigma Shadow attacked Okka Town only to draw us away from Floria Town so the real attack could take place there!"

"What?! It was all a ruse?"

"Rich's right," Anabel added. "I've seen them do this before. We've got to get back there and stop whatever trouble they're causing."

"I see, I see.......but how do we get back there fast enough? We can't make it on foot."

"We don't make it on foot." Rich pulled out a Poké Ball. "We make it by air."

When Rich popped the ball open, his Salamence appeared, took a deep breath, and let out an earth-shaking roar.

"Yay! A ride on Salamence!" Cheerfully, Olivia climbed onto Salamence's back.

"Anabel, Olivia and I will ride Salamence back," Rich explained. "Can your Metang carry you, Rosemary? Salamence can't support four."

"Of course. Come on out, Metang!"

Rosemary released Metang, lept aboard with her package, and rode the Steel and Psychic type Pokémon up and out of the open Pelipper bill atop the building. Rich and Anabel followed, getting on Salamence.

"Hold on tight, Olivia."

"I will, Mommy."

"Here we go. Salamence, let's move!" On Rich's command, the dragon took to the air and followed Metang. "Floria Town, here we come! Enigma Shadow, you're going down!"

Salamence flew through the open Pelipper bill into the open air. Just as it did, Harlan stumbled through the door on his cane.

"I'm here! Those guys won't get away with it! Get them out of my---"

"Sir, they've already been run out of town," a male worker said, sweatdropping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If Okka Town was the very picture of disturbing calm and quiet under Enigma Shadow's thumb, Floria Town was now the exact opposite. The citizens had massed in the town square in an uproar melding anger and fear, watching a horrifying spectacle. A giant, mantis-like silver and gray robot with thin legs was towering over the Ranger Base. It had six arms tipped with grabbing claws, and jet engine on its back. Piloting the robot from inside its glass-covered cockpit were Attila and Hun, both clearly enjoying terrorizing the town.

"Hah! This dead-end place is like some of the redneck towns we ran over in Team Rocket!" Attila laughed cruelly. "I'm surprised the boss wanted us to do a job of such low caliber!"

"It does bring back memories, yes," Hun replied coldly and calmly, "but whether or not it's 'high caliber,' it's a job Queen Shadow gave us. You know what we're supposed to do. Kidnap those Rangers and----"

An electronic beeping noise from one of the robot's sensors interrupted Hun. She looked at the radar on the dashboard, and jumped in surprise. On the radar were two dots rapidly approaching their position.

"We've got incoming intruders dead ahead!" Hun shouted, her calm replaced by a sense of severe threat. "Get me a visual NOW, Attila!"

"Bringing up the visual......." Attila pressed some buttons on the control panel, but when the visual of the area where the dots were appeared, there was nothing there. "What? Must've just been a goof on the radar.."

"Salamence! Dragon Claw and aim for the legs!"

Attila and Hun looked around with the viewfinder, trying to find the source of the mysterious shout. Finally they found it in the form of Rich's Salamence, bearing down on them with its right claw cocked back and glowing red. Before anyone could react it delivered a crushing blow to the mech's legs, sending it stumbling back. When Salamence pulled back, Attila and Hun could see Rich, Anabel, Olivia and Rosemary on the ground.

"WHAT?!" Attila smashed his fist onto the control panel in rage. "Rich and Anabel!!"

"How did they.......grrrrr, those peons failed us! Attila, we're making land!"

"Right away!"

Attila pressed a large red button, causing the robot to bend down. The cockpit windshield flipped open, and he and Hun lept out to face their foes.

"Well, well, well.." Hun rubbed her hands together with a sadistic smirk on her face. "We meet again, Mistblooms."

"I was right all along!" Rich shouted back as he recalled Salamence. "You guys had us fighting in Okka Town hoping you'd pull off your scheme here before we returned!"

"The kid ain't stupid, Hun. Looks like we'd better go into battle mode!"

"There's no 'we,' Attila. I'll be facing him alone this time." Hun stepped forward, the cold look frozen onto her face as she confronted Rich. "Be honest with me. You steamrolled those peons, didn't you?"

"If truth be told, I steamrolled them, mashed them, and shredded them. You're next."

"Oh! I wouldn't be counting on that, boy. I'm under direct orders from the none other than Enigma Shadow's leader to wipe you out. You sure you want to push your luck and challenge me? You can still step aside and be spared." Rich shook his head vigorously, refusing Hun's offer. "Fine. It is time, then. In the name of the Fire Opal Project and the great Queen Shadow herself, you will fall!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Minion Hun
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"For this match, I shall choose ... Solrock and Glion! Go!"

Hun drew out two Poké Balls from a pocket on the back of her uniform and flung them out, releasing an orange and yellow Solrock along with yet another Pokémon unfamiliar to Rich. This one looked much like a purple scorpion with sinister yellow eyes and a thin body, but also with batlike wings enabling it to fly.

"Huh? Isn't that a Gligar? But it isn't......."

As usual, Rich went right to his P*DA for information on the mystery Pokémon.

"Glion, the fang scorpion Pokémon. Type is Ground/Flying. Evolved form of Gligar. Glion are predators with deadly accuracy and speed. They hang from tree branches with their tails to observe prey, and attack from the sky as soon as their chance appears. It is a species rarely seen in the wild."

"Hm, an interesting one. Finally a challenge for once. Salamence, Melodic, I choose you! Let's go!"

Most challengers would be intimidated by Rich's selections even with the amount of knowledge Hun had about him, but she stayed cool and calm.

"I won't be as easy as those peons you beat. Show me what you've got!"

"Alright, I will." Rich smiled and thrust his arm forward. "Salamence, Hydro Pump! Go!"

Salamence let its head fall back, facing straight into the sky, then with a great roar whipped forward and fired the pressurized water jet from its mouth straight for Glion.

"Use Agility into Ice Fang!"

Just before the Hydro Pump hit, Glion managed to escape at blinding speed. It was moving so fast, in fact, that it couldn't even be seen. Salamence dropped its attack to try and refocus on its target, and this was Glion's chance---it suddenly reappeared and bit down on the dragon's neck with icy fangs. Salamence thrashed about in pain, finally throwing Glion off but not before suffering heavy damage indicated by a row of iced-over fang marks on its neck. The two opposing trainers reacted in natural ways---Hun smirked wickedly, and Rich clenched his fists in frustration.

"So that's not going to work. I'd better try something else. Melodic, Iron Tail now!"

As Rich's loyal partner whipped its long golden body towards Solrock, it accentuated a key difference between Melodic and its previous evolutionary form, Milotic. Milotic were known for their striking beauty and mastery of water-based attacks, but not for the weak muscles in their bodies that made any type of physical strike by a Milotic nearly a joke. The evolution, however, brought great strength to Melodic's muscles and fueled the fierce power of Iron Tail to a new degree. Solrock certainly found this out the hard way as the metallic glow of Melodic's tail filled its eyes just before smashing it in the head so hard it fell to the ground.

"Sollllllllllll!!!!!!" Solrock moaned. Hun, meanwhile, tensed while still keeping her cool.

"Very courageous. Solrock!"

As soon as it heard its name, Solrock resiliently shot back up into the air with a look of fury replacing its usual dreamy expression.

"Sol rock! Rock!!" it cried fiercely, much to Hun's delight.

"Good show, Solrock. Sunny Day!"

If Solrock had a trademark attack, this would likely be it. The sun-like Pokémon spun its body around and flashed its eyes, and on this magical cue, strong sunlight cut through the clouds and flooded Floria Town.

"So she's going to weaken my Water attacks," Rich thought. "I'll have to alter my strategy a bit. Salamence, try Flamethrower on Glion!!"

This time it wasn't water but fire that shot from Salamence's fanged maw, quickly engulfing Glion in its sun-drenched strength. The flames cleared fairly quickly, but Glion was left breathing heavily with burn marks about its body.

"Time to take you to school," Hun taunted with an even more wicked look than ever. "Glion, Thunder Fang NOW!"

Rich was clearly caught off guard---he had expected another Ice Fang directed at Salamence, not a Thunder Fang at Melodic, and as a result he had no time to prepare a defensive maneuver. Just like it had done icily to Salamence, Glion crunched down on the back of Melodic's neck as sparks shot from the bite area. When Glion let go, Melodic's entire body was shaking and occasionally shooting off sparks---it had become paralyzed.

"No! Melodic, try and fight with an Ice Beam!"

Melodic really did try its best, but it couldn't attack. The paralysis had the majestic Pokémon crippled.

"You can weep if you want. Solrock ... SOLARBEAM!!!"

Absorbing the sunlight like a shower drain taking in water, Solrock became a beacon of light so bright that Rich had no choice but to shield his eyes behind his sleeve. When the light faded into Solrock's body, it sparked for a split second before firing it all in a massive beam directed straight at Melodic.

"MELLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!" Melodic screeched, the super-effective Solarbeam battering it as if it were a rag doll. "Mellllooodiccc!!!! Mel...melo..."

...And as soon as the beam faded, Melodic was out cold on the ground.

"Want to cry yet, boy?" Hun continued to taunt Rich. "There's more of that coming if you don't stop!"

Hun's taunting didn't intimidate Rich like it was meant to, though. His anger was clearly boiling, but he did well trying not to show it too much.

"You haven't beaten me yet. Melodic, have a rest. Return! Now.. go, Slowking!"

Anabel's jaw dropped when she saw Rich send out Slowking---another Water type.

"What's wrong with him?!!!" she thought in panic. "Solarbeam will wipe Slowking out just as easily! Rich, what are you---"

"Daddy, go! Beat that mean lady!"

Stopped cold by Olivia's sweet display of support, Anabel decided not to yell at Rich and to support him as well instead.

"Do it for Olivia!" Anabel shouted, a gesture met with a thumbs-up and a wink from Rich.

"Salamence, we've got no more time for any of these games. Use Crunch to finish off Solrock now!"

"Mencesalllllaahh!!!" In a flash Salamence bore down on Solrock and pierced right through its Rock type defenses using its sharp fangs. The sun Pokémon winced, then fainted even while it was still in Salamence's grip. The dragon dropped it shortly after.

"So you do have some fight in you after all," Hun said, still calm, as she recalled her fainted Solrock. "This might just be fun in the end. Go, Forretress!"

Next up for Hun was a blank-faced Forretress, obviously a Shadow Pokémon.

"My Shadow Pokémon, in fact," Hun announced. "Glion, Ice Fang on Salamence!"

Another Ice Fang from Glion was all it took to bring the mighty Salamence down. Rich didn't seem flustered, though.

"So you beat Salamence. That's not a big deal. You did a good job, my friend, rest awhile. Go, Lucario! Let's hit this pairing right away! Slowking, use Ice Beam to take out Glion!"

In a fit of poetic justice, right after Glion felled Salamence using Ice Fang, it found itself on the recieving end of an icy beam blasted at it by Slowking.

"GLiiiiioooooooOOOO ---- Guh....gilonnn..."

Rich's strategy paid off, as Slowking made Glion drop with very little effort by using Ice Beam. Now Hun was starting to show her anger, as she hadn't anticipated this much of a fight.

"Glion, return! Clearly you don't value the well being of yourself, your friends and your Pokémon if you're going to resist us this much. Lunatone, it's your turn! Go!"

"Now, you see, if I had the Snag Machine that Forretress would be a tempting target. But I don't, so like the other Shadow Pokémon I've encountered, it'll have to go down. Lucario, Blaze Kick! Let's go!"

"Luluuuu..CARR!!!" After using its powerful legs to spring up, Lucario aimed its right foot at Forretress and came down hard and fast, said foot becoming like a fireball.

"Forretress, use Shadow Shed on yourself to deflect it!"

A whirlpool of shadow energy surrounded Forretress as it used the Shadow Shed attack on itself, only intending to try and deflect Blaze Kick. For a few moments this unusual tactic did work, sparks flying as Lucario's attack pushed against the shadow energy, but in the end it failed. Lucario broke through and hit Forretress with a catastrophically strong blow, taking it down instantly. Hun seemed to be reaching her breaking point, all her expectations of an easy win long gone.

"My Shadow Pokémon was useless?!! Grr.....return, now! Aggron, I choose you!"

"Feeling a little desperate, perhaps?" Now it was Rich's time to taunt, and he clearly got under Hun's skin easily. "I think we should offer her a little water therapy, Slowking. Water Gun, go!"

Even though it had 'slow' in its name, Slowking was anything but. Showing great agility in addition to courage, Slowking got right in Lunatone's face before spitting up a stream of water, knocking the Rock and Psychic type for quite a loop.

"Lucario, Pulse Bomb!" Rich wasn't letting up in his assault.

Having just returned to its mark, Lucario took a moment to prepare itself, but fairly quickly managed to form a ball of blue Aura energy between its hands and fling it at Aggron. The orb exploded on impact, hitting Aggron hard and causing it to cough due to the smoke.

"Aggr..! Gron!!"

"We don't have to take that from him! Lunatone, Rain Dance!!"

In the complete opposite of Solrock's earlier move, Lunatone spun around and flashed its eyes to cause clouds to gather. Soon, a steady rain began to fall.

"Aggron, hit Lucario with Brick Break!"

Lucario's limber form also could be a liability, as proven when Aggron lumbered forward and swung rather clumsily with its right arm. Somehow, under the comical air of this large beast tottering about, Lucario actually took quite a strong hit and was sent stumbling back a few steps.

"Ah, clever. Playing off type weakness, I see. Unfortunately your time is up. Slowking, use Water Pulse!!"

"Slooooooooow.........slowking!!!!" The rain, falling heavily at this point, fueled Slowking's watery assault. Sonic rings of water blasted out of its mouth and pierced through the air, striking Aggron square in the chest. The Steel and Rock type stumbled ... then fainted.

"WHAT?!" Now Hun's cool facade was clearly cracking. "You insolent...RETURN! I've had just about enough of you and your fooling in our plans, Rich. It ends now! Steelix, destroy him!"

Hun's sixth and final Pokémon was her strongest: a silver Steelix that towered over all the others with its angry, toothy expression.

"I've got an ace up my sleeve, too." Rich stayed cool, with the ever-present grin still on his face. "Lucario, up the ante! FOCUS BOMB!"

Lucario prepared to attack in a manner much like how it did for Pulse Bomb, but the orb that formed between its hands was red and much larger this time. The air crackled as the ball of energy flew from Lucario's hands towards Steelix ... however, the imminent strike failed to move Hun to any kind of concern.

"Oh, please. Steelix, look alive!"

With a deep, guttoral growl, Steelix simply moved its head to the right. The Focus Bomb sailed straight past and into the cloudy sky, useless.

"AhahaHAH!! Now, taste my power! Steelix, Earthquake!"

Steelix shifted its bulk upward, then using its entire weight slammed down into the ground. A seismic shockwave was produced that sailed cleanly under Lunatone yet shattered the ground beneath Slowking and Lucario. Slowking was knocked to its knees but managed to recover; however, being a part Steel type, Lucario collapsed.

"Oh, my.." Rich was shocked by this turn of events, having been in control just moments earlier. He held up the Poké Ball so it could pull in Lucario, but put it away. He then helped Lucario to its feet and over to the side, where it would be safe. "You did good work, my friend."

"Lucaaah...."

"Don't you worry, we'll win this." Rich turned back to the battle and readied another Poké Ball. "I know I shouldn't be encouraging this ... but here's your chance to impress Lucario! Roserade, go!"

Roserade came bursting out of its ball with a flair, noticed how hurt Lucario was, then turned to face Hun's Pokémon with an expression so angry it was nearly comical.

"Hah! You think that little twerpy thing can beat me? Lunatone, drop that Slowking with Thunder!"

Several bolts of lightning shot up from Lunatone's body into the cloudy sky. A few moments later they came crashing down as one focused blast on Slowking, completely overwhelming it.

"SLOOOOOOOOOWWWW...ki--" Slowking collapsed from the power of the blast.

"I do believe the score is even now," Hun taunted cruelly. "Ready to give up yet, or must I apply the finishing blow?"

"Nothing's over yet. Return, Slowking! Porygon3, my hopes are on you now! Go and use Shadow Ball!"

A ball of dark energy formed around Porygon3's body. It took careful aim then launched the shadowy sphere at Lunatone, happening to score a critical blow. In an amazing stroke of luck for Rich, Lunatone fell.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Hun snarled as she recalled Lunatone. "Steelix, it's all up to you now! Don't you dare fail me!"

"This is all over. Roserade, prepare for the final strike with Sunny Day!"

Roserade waved its bouquets, ending the rain and bringing the sun back out.

"It won't help. Steelix, Iron Tail!!"

"Porygon3, use Protect!"

Steelix's tail glistened with a metallic glow in the sunlight as the Steel and Ground type bore down on Porygon3 with it like a whip. To counter, Porygon3 formed a shield of green light around itself, and sparks flew as the energy from the two moves clashed on contact. Rich's grin became a smile---this was his opening.

"Hurry, Roserade! Get in close while it's distracted and use Weather Ball!!"

Steelix could've never reacted quickly enough. Roserade lept up from the ground and landed right on its nose, quickly powered up an orb of heat between its bouquets, and fired the super-effective attack at point-blank range. Steelix roared in pain, keeled backward, and fainted.

"What?!! No! NO!!! This cannot be happening!!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"This can't be right! No, it can't be right at all!"

Attila steered the robot down and pressed a button on the control panel to open the cockpit.

"You lost, Hun?"

"Damn right I did! We'd better cut our losses and flee!"

With great agility, Hun lept up all the way from the ground to the cockpit of the robot. Once she was in place, the window closed and Attila took control of the mech's claws.

"One Ranger Leader, coming right up!" the muscular man laughed as he directed the machine to break a hole right through the roof of the Ranger Base. The claws reached in and fumbled around a bit, then pulled out --- with Mason in their grip.

"Stop it! Let me go, you criminals!" the Ranger Leader was shouting, holding his hat on with one hand and flailing the other about helplessly. Attila and Hun ignored him.

"This is all we came for anyway," Hun announced coldly. "We'll be back for the rest later. Attila, time for us to leave."

"Right away!"

With the press of another button, Attila sent a blast of smoke out from the jet engines on the mech's tail -- and when the smoke cleared, they were gone. Judy came running out of the Ranger Base in a panic, waving her hand in front of her face to clear the smoke. She was still wearing her headphones and transmitter microphone, the cords to which had been ripped right out of their ports and were trailing behind her on the ground.

"Ma.....Mason!! Bring him back!!" Judy screamed naively. "Oh no...what's going to become of...?"

Judy then began to fall, but Rich rushed to her side and caught her. As he held her up, she continued sobbing hysterically, saying something incoherently.

"Those miserable crooks," Rich growled to himself. "Judy, where's Jackie? In fact, where are all the Rangers?"

"They're all .. out on missions," Judy choked out. "We had no chance at all.."

"We'll be doing something about that, don't you worry. Hello there, Rich."

A tall man dressed in a sharp gray-and-blue lab coat arrived on the scene at that moment. His slicked-back hair of deep blue and its single jagged shock sticking up glistened in the sun, as did his rectangular purple glasses. Following behind him was a beautiful, orange-haired woman in a flowing pink gown.

"Ein and Venus?" Rich was very surprised to see Anabel's parents, especially in Aquane. "When did you come here?"

"Because of me," Anabel explained, stepping forward. "When we first encountered the Shadow Mitsuhoney, during that battle I borrowed Rosemary's P*DA and used it call my father so he could deliver the--"

Without warning, Rosemary charged in, shoving Rich and Anabel aside, and got right in Ein's face.

"Oh my!! Are you really the famous Prof. Ein of Larousse City?!" Rosemary had gone into complete fangirl mode and was speaking in a very hyper manner. "I've read all the papers on Shadow Pokémon purification you wrote with Prof. Krane! You're my hero!!"

"Eheheh...." Ein sweatdropped, trying to hide his embarassment at the gushing adoration of his fan. "Yes, yes, I did write those papers with Krane. But that's not why I'm here. Rich, I understand you've seen Shadow Pokémon used by crooks bearing resemblance to Enigma Shadow?"

"Unfortunately yes," Rich responded with a sad tone. "And they don't just resemble Enigma Shadow -- they ARE Enigma Shadow, which has revived itself yet again after Dr. Yung's defeat seven years ago. They must've been in hiding as they recovered. The Shadow Pokémon I saw were a Mitsuhoney, a Shuckle, a Doomirror, and a Forretress."

"It's a sad world that this is all happening again," the woman, Venus, sighed. "It looks like we'll have to turn to you again, Rich."

Venus produced a briefcase, which Ein carefully opened. Inside was a machine designed to be worn on the arm, with a round silver shoulder pad connected to the silver-and-black glove by several wires. Anabel's father took this device and handed it to Rich, who, knowing exactly what to do, fitted it on his left arm.

"The Snag Machine is yours once again," Ein said to Rich.

"It's so shiny, Daddy!" Olivia exclaimed from Rich's side. "Can I have it too?"

"Hohoho, that's my daughter's child," Ein chuckled. "Sorry, Olivia, I can't give that to you, it is far too important and your father needs it. You know the mission, Rich: find all the Shadow Pokémon that Enigma Shadow has produced, engage them in battle, and take them from their criminal masters using the Snag Machine."

"I'll do it. I'll do it, if for no other reason than that Enigma Shadow's ruined the vacation I took to try and spend more time with Anabel and Olivia."

"Good." Ein turned to Judy, who had recovered a bit from earlier. "Now, I understand you're Judy, the Mission Coordinator of this Ranger Base, correct?" Judy nodded silently, so Ein continued. "The activities of the Floria Town Rangers cannot be interrupted by Enigma Shadow's heinous deeds. You should contact the Ranger Union at once and try to find someone to fill in as Leader until Mason can be rescued."

"Actually, that's already been done." Judy's expression quickly brightened. "When Enigma Shadow appeared they said they were going to kidnap Mason, right from the start, so while Rich was battling them, I contacted Prof. Hastings in Fiore. He told me a Ranger Leader from that region would be sent right away. I think you might know them -- some woman from Wintown, I believe it was."

Both Ein and Venus recoiled at the moment Judy mentioned 'a woman from Wintown.'

"W-Wintown?!" Ein seemed a bit shocked, and suddenly became rather reserved and nearly silent. "Well... good luck with that," he finally said before walking away.

"Rosemary, I hope you don't mind two more gate crashers at your lab. Ein and I will need a place to stay."

"Oh, no problem at all--" Rosemary was still fangirling, but stopped as soon as Venus turned and left after Ein.

"Anabel, what was all that about?" Rich asked curiously. "Why did he freak when Judy mentioned Wintown?"

Anabel, however, just raised her hands and shrugged. She didn't know.

"Oh. Well, now this thing's back on my arm again.." Rich took a long look at the Snag Machine. "Here we go .... again."

Enigma Shadow has returned after seven years in hiding! Their attack on Okka Town ended in failure as Rich arrived just in time to chase off their members and make sure Rosemary's package was safe, but that attack was only a decoy -- on Queen Shadow's orders, Attila and Hun attacked Floria Town and kidnapped Ranger Leader Mason. At this point, there are more questions than answers. Why did Enigma Shadow want to kidnap the Leader of Floria's Ranger Base? Why is Ein so upset on the mere mention of Fiore's Wintown? What exactly is the intent of the wicked organization this time, what plans do they have for the Aquane Region? Stay tuned to find out!

END of CHAPTER ONE

HarleyScarow

Emerald Shinigami
Well, I see you made your decision for Hun to be a girl...GOOD!

As for me, I can't wait until Harley comes out. It looks like Banette's going to be the main gal in this contest. Wonder how Harley makes it to this region?

But hey, it's Harley...GOOD!

Oh, and I noticed your new banner...GOOD!

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Ah, Attila and Hun...I'm sure you remember those two from my own (now finished) fic.

Nice to see the D/P Starters and Doomirror there. I see you're using the names given to them by Wikipedia.

I don't get the title..."It's Been a Banette Year"? Sorry to say, but I don't get the catchyness of that one...

Anyway...

It's still good.

Can't wait to see Harley. Knowing him, I'll LOVE seeing that guy's butt get kicked...again.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The title is a pun on the expression "a banner year," which means that the year in question was good. Obviously, since Harley's involved, it's anything but good, so....yeah.

I'm not really using Wikipedia. I'm using Bulbapedia, but I guess the names are probably the same on both. But then again, Wikipedia's entries on Cipher Admins Venus and Lovrina are the same: "SHE HAS BIG BOOBZ LOL" over and over-- unless someone fixed them.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
Waiting for the next chapter is ALMOST as hard as waiting for Diamond and Pearl.

i second that feeling

good chapter there, i enjoyed seeing atilla and hun again, and good to see that hun has a shadow foretress!

Umbreevee

...Call me Loffyglu.
is it possible to get unbanned?

Well, if he has 130 infractions or more, then we can bet that he won't be coming back. Although I'm not sure what he could have possibly done that could get him into that much trouble.

Anyway, shame he had to get banned so soon, I was starting to like this... :,( If he gets unbanned, though, I wonder if he'll surprise us with a sudden explosion of, like, five chapters or something. Two hours of staring at a computer screen, w00t! (I have got to stop getting my hopes up....)

However, like someone else said, you use too many ellipses, dude. (Can he even see the forums anymore?) There should really only be three or four, not, like, seven. Try to imagine how it would look in a real book, especially one with large fonts. The ellipses could take up more than half the page, what with the way you write 'em! Another thing that kind of bugs me a little is the way you write ellipses at the start of dialogue. Here's an example that I just thought from the top of my head:

"...Maybe we should leave," Bob whispered quietly.
Now, if you look at real books, you'll see that they don't usually do that, it's more like:

There was an eerie pause for a moment.

"Maybe we should leave," Bob whispered quietly, breaking the silence.
See the second one? Not only does it help the reader picture it better, it also creates more of an atmosphere if you describe the silence. Was it awkward, eerie, etc.?

You're getting better in the description and emotion area, I can see that. Good! ^_^ So your biggest problem, to me, anyway, is your ellipses. Eh, I hope I didn't sound too harsh.

Like I said before, I'm really liking this. Keep it up, me shall read! ^_^

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Onward! Onward to Chapter 2!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER TWO: Shadow Pokémon and All That Jazz!

A gentle wind blew from the open window through Rich and Anabel's room the morning after Enigma Shadow's dramatic return. Anabel was already up and gone, leaving a rather disheveled Rich to be stirred by the breeze. He sat up in bed and yawned, his bluegreen hair a mess.

Silently and almost sullenly he arose, shuffled to the mirror, and stared for what seemed like forever. After quite a while he quickly changed from his night robe into his suit and placed his hat upon his head to hide the mess atop it. His eyes then fell to the Snag Machine, innocently sitting upon the dresser.

"Aw, hell no..." he finally grumbled. All night he had hoped, wished and dreamed that the previous day's events were a bad nightmare, Enigma Shadow wasn't back, and everything was okay. The Snag Machine's presence shattered that facade. With a groan of acceptance, he put it on and walked out of the bedroom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like forever before Rich made it to the lab's kitchen. Surprisingly, Olivia was the only one there, playing with Rosemary's Budew.

"Oh! Good morning, Daddy!"

"Subo!! Budewe!!" the tiny green Pokémon chirped.

"Good morning, Olivia." Rich seemed uninterested in her and Budew, though. "Do you know where your mother is?"

"I'm in here, Rich!" Anabel called out from a side room, hearing and answering Rich's question. He promptly left Olivia and Budew to see what was going on, and found Anabel with Ein and Venus. All of them were watching Rosemary, who was kneeling on the ground repairing some sort of machine.

"Good day, Rich," Ein greeted, seemingly back to his old self after the Wintown oddity the previous day.

"What's she doing?" Rich asked, gesturing towards Rosemary, who stood, finished with her work and knowing Rich was referring to her.

"Good morning, Rich! I was just finishing installing the machine parts I ordered into this special computer."

"I see. What do they do?"

"Well, Rosemary explained it to us already," Venus said, "maybe if you woke up sooner, you'd know. But I guess I can sit through it again."

"Thanks for your permission," Rosemary replied sarcastically before turning back to Rich. "This, my friend, is not just any normal computer. It can detect the wave frequencies given off by all matter."

"That in and of itself is interesting, I think," Anabel added, "but the next part's the best."

"Not only can my computer detect wave frequencies, if I hit just the right frequency I can detect precious gems like DIAMONDS and PEARLS. Do you realize what that means? This computer right here before you can confirm the theory behind all my research---once on the right frequency it can tell us the location of Dialga and Palkia!"

"You can WHAT?!" Obviously, Rich was shocked, as anyone would be if they heard a machine could detect the locations of Legendary Pokémon.

"That's right. Remember when I said my research indicated Dialga and Palkia may be in Aquane in their dormant forms? This is the answer! If I can find an area where the readings of diamond aura or pearl aura are greatly exaggerated, that's where they are!"

Ein took a step forward and rubbed his chin in thought, an action he seemed to do more out of habit than actually needing to.

"Naturally, this device holds untold promise for us Pokémon researchers," the former Cipher scientist said dubiously, "but at the same time, it is a dangerous risk. We dodged the first bullet in not allowing them to steal the necessary parts, but if this machine were to fall into Enigma Shadow's control at any time, it could spell catastrophic distaster."

"If this thing could cause so much danger," Rich asked, slightly angry, "why did you create it?"

"Listen, Rich..." Rosemary's voice became serious, which was unlike her. "There's something I need to tell you. For several weeks prior to your arrival, members of a strange organization were going around asking about Dialga and Palkia. I didn't know who they were then, but now that I've seen identified members of Enigma Shadow, I know it was them because they had the same uniforms. I sent you the letter because I knew something bad was going on, and that you could do something about it."

"You know, Rich," Anabel cut in, "isn't it lovely she volunteered us for this without asking first?" Rich laughed, so Anabel continued. "Nothing we can do about it now though. We've got to work with Rosemary to keep Enigma Shadow in check."

"Precisely," Rosemary confirmed. "I devised a plan as to what we'll do. Rich, you and Anabel will distract Enigma Shadow by continuing to battle them and Snag their Shadow Pokémon. Since their attention will be drawn elsewhere, that gives me, Ein and Venus time to find Dialga and Palkia. Once we do that, we all can team up to try and protect them."

At that moment, Rosemary's P*DA rang. She took it out quickly, opened it, read her new e-mail, and stowed it with equal speed.

"Come, we're wanted at the Ranger Base. All of us."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosemary led the group through the automatic doors of the Ranger Base just a few short minutes later. She walked with a strong step, and behind her, Rich and Anabel---the latter holding Olivia's hand tightly---followed upright behind her. Ein and Venus brought up the rear.

Inside, the wind howled through the huge hole that Attila and Hun's mech had left in the roof. Judy was sitting at her desk, plugged back into her computer.

"You got my e-mail," the Mission Coordinator greeted coldly. "I hope you're up for a job."

"I am," Rosemary answered strongly. "We all are. What's the word?"

"We were doing surveillance, like we always do, and we happened upon something..."

"Oh, come now, Judy. It was much more than just 'something.'"

All turned to find the source of the deep yet female voice. It belonged to a rather tall woman who was wearing brown boots and black pants that were covered by a blue-and-white apron. Her top was of the same color scheme, white with a blue stripe running up the center. Purple hair---startingly similar, no, identical---to Anabel's stuck out from under her white hood. Perhaps her most striking feature was her pair of cold, piercing gray eyes.

"YOU," Venus snarled, her face twisting into one of extreme anger. "I refuse to deal with....psssh, forget it."

With that, Venus stormed out of the Ranger Base, leaving the others speechless. It was Anabel's older lookalike that finally broke the silence.

"I see things haven't changed at all." The woman's tone stayed even. "Allow me to introduce myself to you who don't know me. I am Elita, the Leader of the Pokémon Rangers of Wintown in the Fiore Region, sent to hold this Ranger Base together after the kidnapping of your own Leader."

"Hello, Elita," Rich greeted warmly if not with a bit of nervousness. "I'm Rich. This is my wife Anabel, our daughter Olivia, and our friends Rosemary and Ein."

"I am pleased to meet you all."

"Mommy, you look just like her!" Olivia exclaimed, pulling Anabel's hand.

Both Anabel and Elita simply chuckled, though an odd look flashed in Elita's eyes for a brief second.

"Working with you will be a pleasure, I can tell. Ein, it's certainly been a while since we last met."

"Uh...yeah, yes it has. Quite a while, in fact."

"You know her?" Anabel seemed surprised.

"We're old aquaintances," Ein answered, trying to project an air of confidence. "Used to....go to school together. Yeah, that's it."

Elita smiled---a smile that betrayed her otherwise cold look.

"Still as much a ham as I remember. Ein, you've really got to shed that stuffy scientist personality more often and just enjoy yourself. But that's not important right now. What's important is the business at hand."

"Right," Judy said as Elita walked around the desk to the computer. "As I was saying, we were doing surveillance when we spotted something unusual on the coast just south of Okka Town. Upon further observance, we discovered it is some sort of Enigma Shadow research facility."

"And that isn't all," added Elita. "When Judy showed me the recordings this Ranger Base took, we were able to see Enigma Shadow's former leader, Doctor Mitchell Yung, delivering a saxophone to the head of the facility, a very tall and skinny young woman who had her hair down in two long ponytails."

"That's Lovrina," Rich mused. "We've met her before, in the Shadow Incidents of the past. But a saxophone? I don't understand it."

"We don't understand it either," Elita answered, "but it must mean something. I want you to go investigate the facility and find out what's going on there. I've already sent a Floria Town Ranger, he'll meet you there."

Rich closed his eyes, immersing himself in thought. Could he do this all alone? An Enigma Shadow research facility was no big deal, he'd beaten a great number of them before... but it had been seven years. That, and he also couldn't bear the thought of putting Anabel and Olivia into danger again. His mind was completely deadlocked as to what he should do.

"Rich, I know this is hard for you," Anabel broke in, "but we've got to do it. Olivia will be safe. If they wanted to get her, they'd have to get rid of both of us first."

"Stop reading my mind." Rich opened his eyes, turned to Anabel, and smiled. "I forgot, you really CAN read minds. Heheh... nevertheless, you're right. We'll fly back to Okka Town on Salamence, then head to the Enigma Shadow facility from there."

"Bravo! That's the spirit!" Rosemary cheered them on. "We'll wait here for word, so good luck!"

"Thank you." Rich tipped his hat to Rosemary, Elita, Judy and Ein, then led Anabel and Olivia outside. As soon as the doors closed behind them, he took out a Poké Ball and threw it, releasing Salamence.

"Salaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!" the dragon roared, happy to be out in the fresh air.

"Listen up, Salamence, we're gonna need your help." Rich directed his Pokémon in a firm yet gentle and kind way. "Anabel, Olivia and I need to get to Okka Town---remember, where we were yesterday---and you're our way there. You up to it, my friend?"

"Sala mennce!"

"I'll take that as a yes. Come on, let's hit the road."

Rich climbed onto Salamence's back, then offered a hand and helped pull Anabel and Olivia up. Salamence took over at that point, using its mighty wings to take to the sky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, some others weren't exactly having a good day. Those others would be Attila and Hun---cowering before Queen Shadow, who was completely outraged over their failure.

"You two disgust me!!" the wicked leader thundered. "I sent you to do two things: kidnap Mason and stop Richard Wallace Mistbloom dead in his tracks!"

"But, my queen..." Attila's voice, usually strong, was quivering in fear. "We did kidnap Mason."

"IS MASON THE ONE SNAGGING OUR POKéMON?!" Queen Shadow roared in response.

"If I may," Hun ventured, "why don't we just kidnap Rich and hold him here?"

"Too blatant. If we tried that and failed, several top operatives might fall into the hands of law enforcement, and at this stage we cannot afford that. You've given me an idea though... I propose we strike him with something that'll break his spirit. It worked once, when I faked my death in the Wishmaker Tower bombing, it should work again."

"That's a great idea, my queen! In fact, Hun and I could---"

"Shut up, Attila. I'm not giving you two any assignments right now. Go and train so you might actually get something done next time. Begone."

Attila and Hun saluted their leader, then left the chamber rather quickly. Queen Shadow slumped in her chair and sighed.

"I'm surrounded by fools... if this plan fails I'm in a lot of trouble myself." The queen spun around in her chair to face the video screens, then pressed a button to bring up Dr. Yung's lab on one of them. The doctor and Gordor were busy along with several white-coated scientists building various musical instruments. "Yung, Gordor, what is the status of Shadow Styler production?"

"It's coming along well," Gordor answered, looking up. "We're getting a good handle on what exactly these things can do and what we want them to do."

"Has Lovrina reported in with the field test stats for her saxophone yet?" Yung asked.

"Not that I've heard. Let me get into contact with Domino and see if she's heard anything." Queen Shadow pressed another button on her armrest, bringing up the blonde spy on another screen. "Domino, I want the latest report on the actions of Rich and Anabel."

"Oh! Hello there, Queen Shadow!" Domino's cheery demeanor didn't score any points with her rapidly-souring boss, so she took the clue and became serious. "Yes, yes, the latest report. First of all, our predictions were right about Rosemary's little invention...listen."

"Not only can my computer detect wave frequencies, if I hit just the right frequency I can detect precious gems like DIAMONDS and PEARLS. Do you realize what that means? This computer right here before you can confirm the theory behind all my research---once on the right frequency it can tell us the location of Dialga and Palkia!"

"You can WHAT?!"

"That's right. Remember when I said my research indicated Dialga and Palkia may be in Aquane in their dormant forms? This is the answer! If I can find an area where the readings of diamond aura or pearl aura are greatly exaggerated, that's where they are!"

"Now that is something that I'm pleased to hear!" Queen Shadow exclaimed. "You better keep an eye on that and get me some readings as soon as you can."

"Don't worry about it," Domino answered, "I'm working on a way to bug the machine as we speak. As for Rich and Anabel, they've left for Okka Town... it seems the Rangers found where Lovrina's lab is."

"Well, there's your answer, Yung. We'll find out soon enough, when Lovrina gets into a battle with them."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed to take awhile, but Salamence finally touched down in Okka Town right in front of the mayor's home. Rich recalled it, then started to approach the door when he heard shouting from inside.

"Oh no, not again...Anabel, you hear that?"

"All too well. Olivia, hold close."

Anabel pulled Olivia close to her as Rich slowly put his hand on the doorknob. He took a deep breath, then shoved it open. Inside, Harlan was sitting at his desk, a Shadow Peon with a Chatot on his shoulder standing before him.

"I'm telling you, Mr. Mayor, your cooperation is necessary in our tests." The peon seemed calm and cool.

"I ain't cooperating with you thugs on anything!" Harlan spat back.

Suddenly, the Chatot noticed Rich and Anabel.

"Rich and Anabel, Chatot!!" it squawked. "Rich Anabel, Chatchatot!!"

"So they've arrived," the peon said to himself in a startingly calm way. "Chatot, come! Back to the lab!"

Chatot landed on its master's shoulder, then the peon flew out the door in a huge rush.

"Has anything happened here?!" Anabel quickly asked the mayor, who was holding his chest and breathing deeply.

"No, nothing," was the response. "That guy just walked in here and started blasting me with information along with his Chatot. Talked my ear off but didn't lay a finger on me, thank goodness. An old man like me can't take their nonsensical abuse!"

"Did he mention anything about a research facility near this town?" Rich questioned, trying to get some information out of the mayor.

"Something about a 'Styler lab' on the southern coast or the like."

"That's all we need to know. Anabel, we've got to chase him, and Salamence can do the job. Let's go!"

In a flash, Rich, Anabel and Olivia were outside the mayor's home, on Salamence, and flying off in the direction the peon had fled in.

"Wait!" Harlan shouted after them, even though they were long since gone. "Stay awhile! I've got a bucket of fried chicken to share over some training stories!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Up in the sky, Rich and Anabel were watching the ground closely from their perch atop Salamence, looking for signs of the peon's track. Olivia was safely wrapped in Anabel's arms as they flew.

"See anything yet, Rich? We should be seeing--"

"Wait, Anabel," Rich cut in. He pointed downward to the ground, where a trail of empty Poké Balls had been dropped in the woods. "Awfully suspicious, is it not?"

"I agree. Salamence, follow it!"

Salamence grunted in response to Anabel's command; even though it belonged to Rich, the dragon knew and trusted Anabel enough to listen to her as well. The trail started out promising and soon turned red-hot: the Poké Balls led a perfect path right to a cliff overlooking the beach, where a rusted metal building sat.

"That's the lab, I bet. Salamence, land us here." When Salamence landed on the rocks, Rich returned it to its ball after helping Anabel and Olivia off its back. The three then approached the metal door marking the entrance of the facility. Rich pushed on the door and it gave way, having been left unlocked and open. Immediately greeting them inside the metallic gray room were the peon and his Chatot.

"Rich and Anabel and Olivia too, Chat chatot!" the bird Pokémon squawked in its comical voice.

"You followed me here?" Shockingly, the peon remained calm.

"Obviously we did," Rich answered, "and you're cornered, so give up whatever Shadow Pokémon you have and stand aside. We've got business in that lab."

"You're wrong on two counts, sir. First of all, I can easily escape like this." The peon turned to a digital number pad on the wall next to him and entered a passcode, causing a nearby door leading deeper into the lab to open. "That, and I have no reason to run in the first place."

Rich was about to shout at the peon for his arrogance, but his enemy's next move shocked him silent. With a firm, two-handed grip, the peon pulled his helmet off to allow his long blonde hair to fall---it was Jackie, disguised as a Shadow Peon all along.

"Jackie?!" Anabel screamed in shock.

"Didn't Elita and Judy tell you they sent a Ranger ahead?" Jackie said with a wry smile. "I'm supposed to be accompanying you as you clear out this facility. The Ranger Union wants me to gather information on Enigma Shadow so we can predict their movements."

"It'll be good to have you along," Rich answered, an answer that lifted a burden of sorts from his shoulders---after all, three was always better than two.

"Olivia, stay close to us."

"I will, Mommy."

Anabel pulled Olivia closer than ever, then followed Rich and Jackie as they took the decisive step through the now-open steel door into the lab.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, deep in the bowels of the facility...

The aforementioned thin, tall young woman stood at a large computer keyboard, monitor mounted on the wall. Her long pink hair was the only bright thing in the room, which was constructed of the same sickly orange rust-covered metal that the rest of the facility was made of. Certainly, it was obvious that Enigma Shadow had not spent much of its funds on building the lab.

Displayed on the computer's screen was the saxophone-fashioned Shadow Styler, which was actually sitting against the wall nearby. Also on the screen was a picture of a Pokémon that resembled nothing more than a paper airplane, white in color with markings of various other hues on its body. As the woman read the statistics being run by her computer, a male scientist wearing a traditional lab coat and dark sunglasses rushed in.

"Miss Lovrina, we've got intruders at the gate!" the man shouted, panicked. "Not only that, remember our new recruit, the one who called himself 'J?' He's a Pokémon Ranger from Floria Town and is helping Rich and Anabel break in!"

"Oh, that is SO not what I wanted to hear right now!" Lovrina screeched in her high-pitched voice and distinctive valley girl manner. "Look, Tekot, you've been working for me for oh so long now, ever since we tried to break that awful Prof. Krane back in Orre, remember?"

"Yes, Lovrina, but how is this relevant to Rich and Anabel breaking in?"

"Do I have to report you for being so rude? Seriously, I am SO your boss! And I'm also so offended over the fact that Queen Shadow left us here with only two peons in addition to you and me, like they so needed to cut the budget and shortchanged us. So, you go do something about it! Like, NOW!"

"But, Lovrina..."

"No buts! I so told you to do something about it, AND I OH SO MEAN IT!"

The exasperated researcher hung his head as he turned and left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich was leading the way deeper into the lab, Jackie and Anabel with Olivia following closely behind. With each step they took, the metal stairs resonated with sound, which in turn echoed against the iron walls. The two men in the group had the mission of flushing Enigma Shadow from the facility on their minds, though Rich's thoughts were complicated by the fact he had to protect Anabel and Olivia from harm. In fact, Rich's thoughts so clouded his mind that on the fourth to last step, he tripped and fell. The others quickly rushed to him and helped him up.

"Rich, are you alright?" Anabel was clearly alarmed. "You didn't hurt yourself, did you?"

"That was funny, Daddy! Do it again!"

"Olivia-!" Anabel was shocked at Olivia's remark and was clearly about to scold her when Rich held his hand up and smiled.

"No need, Anabel, she's just a child. I'm fine, let's keep going."

Rich took one step forward---and a female Shadow Peon jumped down from the ceiling to confront the group.

"So, J, you're really Ranger Jackie, I hear."

"You guys might be crooks, but you get info fast," was Jackie's response. He never lost his cool.

"I'll be teaching you lot a lesson now for intruding on this Shadow Styler lab. Queen Shadow will be pleased to have the Mistbloom family AND a Floria Ranger in her collection!"

Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Peon Talia

"Starly, Minomutchi, it's time to go!"

Talia's two Pokémon were a small black-gray-and white bird with a sharp yellow beak, and a bagworm-type creature with a pink body and yellow eyes. The headset device that came with the Snag Machine---known as the Aura Reader---activated as it detected Starly's being a Shadow Pokémon.

"So it's a Shadow Pokémon. I'd better get my information on it first."

Rich took out and activated his P*DA, then looked up the information on these two Pokémon in the Browser.

"Minomutchi, the bagworm Pokémon. Type is Bug. To protect itself against the cold wind, it makes a coat from materials like twigs or fallen leaves to cover its body. After its coat is destroyed in a battle, a Minomutchi immediately creates a new one with the materials available nearby. Notable for its split evolution---male Minomutchi evolve into Garmeil, and female Minomutchi evolve into Minomadam."

Starly, the gray starling Pokémon. Type is Normal/Flying. These Pokémon move in numerous flocks. Their bodies are small, but their wings are very strong. They usually live in flocks and are rarely seen alone. Starly are known for their high-pitched, loud cries."

"Bug and Flying this time out, eh? Salamence, Slowking, I need your assistance! Go! Salamence, Aerial Ace right now!"

Again, Salamence took to the air. It had Minomutchi in its sights, and bore down on the tiny Bug type without a shred of mercy on its mind.

"Minomutchi, Harden!"

"Mino... mutchi?" Minomutchi seemed completely oblivious to the command its trainer had given and did nothing. This allowed Salamence to deliver its attack unhindered, sending the bagworm flying across the room into a wall. It fell to the ground a moment later, easily defeated from the blow. Rich laughed as Talia recalled it in seething anger.

"Is that the best you've got?" he teased as Salamence landed.

"Minomutchi can only learn three attacks before evolution and no more," Rich's P*DA suddenly blurted out. "Those attacks are Protect, Tackle and Hidden Power."

"Rich, do you realize what she did?" Anabel called out with a grin. "She ordered an attack it can never learn!! If that's the ignorance they're going to field as resistance, we should have no trouble. Mow her down!"

Talia clenched her fists silently as Anabel and Rich laughed, but deep down inside, she knew they were right. Besides Minomutchi, her only other Pokémon was the Shadow Starly. Even as a new Shadow recruit she knew she had quite the tall order before her, taking down all six of Rich's Pokémon with one of the weakest Shadow Pokémon produced.

"Starly, Shadow Wave!" Talia finally commanded.

Shadow energy gathered in Starly's body. It glowed as the force moved to its wings, then let out its trademark piercing cry as it flapped about frantically. A thin, blade-like wave of the sinister purple aura floated out and struck both Salamence and Slowking, neither being hurt much.

"Slowking, use a Thunder Wave!"

"Slooooh ~ ?" Like it always did, Slowking just yawned as weak pulses of electricity came out of its body and shocked Starly into paralysis. The bird thrashed, but weakly and with half-movements.

Rich took a deep breath, then extended his left arm out straight from his body.

"Whew.. it's been seven years since I last did this, but..." A Poké Ball materialized in the glove of the Snag Machine. "Snag Ball, go!"

Balacing himself with the deftness of a dancer on the front of his shoes, Rich spun around and threw the ball. Normally, if a Poké Ball was thrown at a Pokémon already owned by a trainer it wouldn't function properly, but the Snag Machine's purpose was to override this code, but only for Shadow Pokémon. The ball hit Starly and absorbed it, then fell to the floor and began rocking.

After shuddering several times, the ball burst open, releasing Starly. The Snag had failed. Rich didn't seem worried, however.

"No big deal, I guess I'm a bit rusty at it. Slowking, use Confusion to soften it up!"

This time, Slowking's eyes glowed with a soft blue aura that quickly surrounded Starly. Soon enough, the bird was flailing about and striking---itself.

"Oh no! Snap out of it, Starly! Snap out of it and use Shadow Wave again!"

Talia's plea fell on deaf ears as Starly continued to batter itself with its wings.

"This time it'll work! Snag Ball, go!"

With much more confidence Rich threw another Snag Ball, which, after taking Starly in, quickly shuddered about and pinged---indicating that this time, the Snag had worked.

"Ooooooh.. so much for that promotion I'd hoped for."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"You bunch don't know what you're getting into. Miss Lovrina's going to throw a fit if she finds you here, and trust me, you don't want to be around for that."

"We've dealt with her before," Anabel replied, rather uninterested. "She doesn't scare us."

"Well in that case you should be scared of what Enigma Shadow's got in store for the world this time!"

Talia's plastic boots---standard issue for the Shadow Peon uniform---beat on the metal floor like a frantic drummer pounding his drums. She fled up the spiral staircase Rich, Anabel, Olivia and Jackie had just descended and out of view.

"That was sad," said Rich. "If that's the best they've got to guard this lab, we might as well just walk right up to Lovrina and demand she give over her Shadow Pokémon voluntarily."

"They've got another world domination plot." Jackie was stone-faced serious, ignoring what Rich had said. "Did you hear her? 'What Enigma Shadow's got in store for the world this time.' I think we'd best press on. There's no time to waste."

"Right."

With Rich leading the way, the group pushed across the room and eventually reached an elevator. Rich ushered Anabel, Olivia and Jackie inside, then entered himself and pushed the only button available---down. The elevator took them down a great distance, the screeching of metal rubbing on metal filling the shaft and causing all of the car's occupants to hold their ears. Finally it stopped, almost crashing against the bottom of the shaft, and the doors opened to allow the quite-shaken group to exit.

The floor the elevator had stopped at was more like a giant central chamber of a sewer system than an actual room. Giant pipes stuck out of the walls on all sides, water flowing out into a pool far below the metal platforms connected by bridges made of thick wood.

"Are we still in Aquane?" Anabel asked, however not allowing anyone to answer before continuing. "This looks like the halfway point between Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom!"

Rich and Olivia broke up laughing at Anabel's joke, the former actually having to lean against the wall to avoid falling over. Jackie didn't seem happy about this.

"Come on, you three!" the Ranger scolded, a harsh tone adding to the cutting quality of his voice. "You've been in these situations before, you should know they're no time to be playing around!"

"Sorry," Rich said, a single chuckle escaping before he regained full form. "Look over there---could that be where we need to go?"

Rich pointed across the chamber, having spotted another elevator, this one an egg-shaped car in a clear glass tube shaft.

"I'll bet it is. Come, Olivia."

Anabel took Olivia's hand again, and together the group of four walked carefully across the wooden bridges toward the elevator. Just when they reached the metal platform on which the elevator sat, a male peon jumped out from behind the tube.

"I'll stop you from getting to Miss Lovrina, you intruders! Wait... you're that lot who messed with us in Okka Town! You beat me at the Mayor's home!"

"Oh yeah, you're that guy who had the Shadow Mitsuhoney, right? I guess I should be glad I get another chance to battle you so I can Snag it."

"Not so fast there, pal. Who said things are gonna be the same way?"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Peon Edward
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Carnivine and Neorant, time to battle!"

Carnivine hadn't changed any since Rich's last battle with Edward, but instead of Keikouo, a different fish Pokémon appeared. It had a rounded body with dark blue stripes running across its normal pale white hue. Its most notable feature was its pair of winglike fins sticking from its back.

"A new Pokémon? Time to check it out."

Of course, Rich went right to his P*DA and scanned Neorant.

"Neorant, the neon Pokémon. Type is Water. Evolved form of Keikouo. It lives somewhere in the deep seas, luring its prey by flashing the patterns on its four fins. In order not to be spotted by its natural enemies, it uses the two fins on its chest to reach and move at the bottom of the sea."

"Should've expected that Keikouo would've evolved. Porygon3 and Roserade, it's..."

Roserade didn't even wait for Rich to call it, it just burst out from its ball and began giving its flaired poses. With a sigh, he just threw the second Poké Ball to release Porygon3.

"Porygon3, use Discha--"

And once again, Roserade began showing Rich why he needed to keep it on a tight leash. Without any orders, the Grass and Poison type simply shoved Porygon3 aside and lept at Neorant, latching onto the fish and using Giga Drain to sap its energy. Both attacker and target glowed with a green hue as Roserade viciously sucked energy from Neorant and Rich fumbled to try and find the Poké Ball needed to recall his disobediant Pokémon.

"Roserade, return!!" he choked, having finally found the ball. The red beam of light pulled Roserade back, but not before it had completely finished off Neorant in its vicious attack.

"And you say you fight fair?!" Edward spat angrily. "Neorant, return. You cheated!"

"First of all," Rich answered with a condesending tone, "making and using Shadow Pokémon makes you unable to talk about fairness. And second, I didn't order that attack, Roserade completely disobeyed me---and that's why I recalled it as quickly as possible."

"Whatever. I think it's time you learnt a lesson. Mitsuhoney, go!"

The Aura Reader activated the moment Edward's Shadow Mitsuhoney entered battle. Rich tensed; he was prepared for it this time.

"I won't be calling Roserade again. This time, it's up to you, Salamence!"

Salamence came out with a roar to replace the misbehaving Roserade. It was so fierce in its entry, in fact, that Edward's Carnivine shrunk back in fear. Mitsuhoney almost seemed like it didn't care about its fearsome opponent, though, so Edward just ignored it.

"Mitsuhoney, Shadow Rush! Let's go!"

A dark cloud surrounded the tiny bee Pokémon as it boldly flew forth, rushing straight at and tackling Salamence. Despite the courage shown in this attack, it did very little.

"Sludge Bomb!"

Edward continued his assault... or at least attempted to. A normal Sludge Bomb attack would've packed much more of a punch, but thanks to its being intimidated by Salamence, Carnivine barely managed to loose a tiny blob of sludge let alone a full attack. Porygon3 became stricken by poison, however, and this made things a bit more difficult.

""Salamence, we needn't waste our time with this foolishness. Wipe Carnivine out with a Fire Blast!"

If it weren't for the dark visor on his Enigma Shadow uniform's helmet, Rich would've seen Edward's eyes go wide as soon as the order was given. Edward actually reached to his belt in an attempt to recall Carnivine before it took the hit, but this was a futile effort. The huge flood of fire, shaped like some sort of Japanese symbol, swept over Carnivine and easily brought it down.

Just a moment after, Edward found the Poké Ball he had been looking for and silently recalled Carnivine, leaving only Mitsuhoney left.

"Thunder Wave!" Rich called out, making his play for Edward's Shadow Pokémon. Almost immediately Porygon3 let loose a weak electrical pulse from its body, which paralyzed Mitsuhoney as it flowed into its target.

"Enough of this! Snag Ball, go!"

Mitsuhoney flicked its wings weakly but put up no other resistance as the Snag Ball Rich threw at it absorbed it before falling to the ground. The ball wobbled multiple times....

...then pinged and locked, sealing and Snagging Mitsuhoney.

"Gah! He's gotten stronger?!"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"No," Rich replied as he recalled his Pokémon, "I didn't get stronger, you just stayed weak."

"Bleah! So you beat me again and took my Mitsuhoney. It doesn't matter. Miss Lovrina's gonna fix you good!"

With no battle-ready Pokémon left, Edward fled. He dashed back across the underground chamber to the creaky elevator Rich's group had taken down, and escaped back up. Rich turned to go on, but Anabel put her other hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Rich, wait." Anabel pulled, turning Rich around. "You heard his threat, right? That Lovrina was going to 'fix us good?'"

"Hmm, yes, I did. I think I see what you're getting at."

"I think we're close to a battle with her. You'd better heal your Pokémon," Anabel advised as she opened her bag, which was overflowing with various medicines and cures. "Especially Porygon3, since it got poisoned in the last battle."

"Good idea. Got an Antidote in there?"

Anabel nodded, then passed Rich a spray bottle full of some sort of medicine. He sprayed it on Porygon3's ball, then returned the ball to its place on his belt.

"I'm glad to see you're~"

"Mommy, could I have some candy?" Olivia blurted out, having spotted a wrapped up sweet inside Anabel's bag. Jackie didn't seem thrilled that he had been cut off, but he held his tongue.

"Sure, why not?" Anabel replied, handing the candy to her daughter. "You've behaved very well today, so you can have it."

"A-HEM." Jackie almost lost his temper as he tried to restore his sense of order to the situation. "As I was saying, I'm glad to see you take important battles seriously. My Styler..." Jackie showed Rich and Anabel the screen of his Styler, on which there were rapidly fluctuating waves of black energy. "...is detecting high levels of the dark energy from Shadow Pokémon on the floor above us. Therefore, it's a safe bet that Lovrina is above, since an Enigma Shadow Admin would have stronger Shadow Pokémon that give off stronger shadow energy readings. Are you prepared to face her?"

Rich and Anabel both nodded confidently.

"We're ready," he answered. "Let's do this."

With a strong and confident step, Rich and Anabel entered the elevator with Olivia, Jackie following close behind. The doors closed and the elevator went up....

and finally stopped, dropping its passengers off in..

an empty room. Absolutely nothing was in it, just another door immediately across from the elevator.

"Wha?" Anabel was surprised, and thrown off a bit. "Didn't your Styler say..?"

"It says that the shadow energy is coming from the next room now. Lovrina's past that door there."

"Well then, let's go!"

Rich charged ahead and through the metal door, followed closely by the others, who were a bit taken aback by his boldness. Of course, when they arrived in the next room, Lovrina and her scientist Tekot were there waiting.

"Oh, the little pests that I so hate have arrived at last!" the valley girl scientist screamed. "You bunch have made me oh so mad, running about yet making me wait so long to crush you!"

Rich took a step forward to respond, but Jackie cut him off.

"The only crushing going on will be of you----" At that moment, Jackie noticed Lovrina's saxophone lying against the wall. "Why do you have a saxophone of all things here?"

"If you really must know, that's prototype model of our oh so new Shadow Styler."

"Shadow Styler?" Rich wondered aloud. "But isn't that---of COURSE! The Ranger Union's surveillance showed Dr. Yung bringing Lovrina a saxophone, so that was probably him delivering the Shadow Styler!"

"How did you make a new Shadow Styler? I demand to know!" Jackie was getting angrier.

"Oh, uncool! You shouldn't be so angry, Ranger boy, it's not like this Styler can actually capture Pokémon..."

"Miss Lovrina..." Tekot interrupted. "Isn't that something we should keep a secret?"

"DO NOT INTERRUPT ME!" Lovrina thundered in reply. "Oh, Tekot, you make me oh so mad! But it's okay. We'll see how that Styler works, then Yung and Gordor will take our data and use it to make stronger Stylers."

"Gordor?" Now it was Jackie's turn to be surprised.

"I've never heard that name," Rich said. "Who is that?"

"Gordor was the leader of the Go-Rock Squad, a crime gang in the Fiore Region up to several years ago. Under his direction they made dark Stylers with the goal of creating a "Power Styler," a device able to capture Legendary Pokémon for Gordor to use in his evil deeds. I thought he vanished after the Go-Rock Squad's fall, but I guess he joined up with Enigma Shadow to continue his Styler development. That must be how they have all the technology needed to make Shadow Stylers like this."

"You so know far more than we can afford for you to know," Lovrina continued. "Tekot!"

"Yes, Miss Lovrina!"

"We are so going to crush them, and we are so going to do it together! Get it together and help me win this!"

"You mean, a tag battle?"

"YES! Do I so have to spell it out for you?! Ugh, you make me oh so angry! But that'll wait until later. For now... we've got some meddling fools who so need to take a dive, like, NOW!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich and Tower Maiden Anabel
---vs.---
Shadow Admin Lovrina and Shadow R&D Tekot
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Tekot simply steps forward and adjusts his metallic sunglasses, then puts his hands in the pockets of his white lab coat. Lovrina spins around with her hands clenched by her face, and somehow defying gravity, twirls in the air before winking and landing]

"Mantyke, I choose you!" "Go, Chatot, my sweet! Go and wipe those oh so annoying losers out!"

Lovrina sent out a Chatot, while Tekot released a small blue manta-ray looking creature with watery black eyes and markings on its back that looked like a smiling face.

"Mantyke? I think I've seen that before, but.."

Of course, before he could make a move Rich went to his P*DA.

"Mantyke, the kite Pokémon. Type is Water/Flying. Pre-evolved form of Mantine. It uses its two feelers to catch plankton floating in the sea water. This Pokémon adores people. Scholars have discovered in their research that the special pattern on Mantyke's back varies with the region it lives in."

"I thought so. Anabel, didn't Lovrina herself use one of those a long time ago, when we first met her?"

"Under a different name, I think, but it does sound familiar."

"Tamanta! Now you two so better stop wasting time and send your Pokémon out!"

"Fine. Lucario, let's go!" "Go, my friend! Metagross!"

Rich's Lucario and Anabel's Metagross burst from their Poké Balls and faced their foes. Lucario braced itself in a fighting stance while Metagross let out a low, guttoral growl to signal it was ready for battle.

"Okay, Chatot, let's so demonstrate why Queen Shadow made us Admins! Blabber!"

"Chaaaa...Chatotot!! Chatot laugh at funny machine on Rich's arm!" Chatot said comically. "Funny machine throw funny balls! Hahahaha, Chatot say balls! Chat chatot!"

Even though this attack was completely over the top and ridiculous, it managed well enough to confuse Metagross.

"Lucario, use Dragon Pulse!"

Lucario cupped its hands above its head, and an odd whirring sound filled the room as a large orb of bluegreen energy formed. A moment later Lucario simply extended its arms forward at Chatot, and the energy did the rest---Chatot would have been blasted against the wall had Lovrina not used one of her long, thin arms to stop it.

"Rich, mind if I give my commands telepathically this time?"

"Not at all."

Lovrina and Tekot seemed lost, having no clue who Rich was talking to and not knowing of Anabel's telepathy.

"Metagross, overcome the confusion if you can and hit Chatot with Thunderpunch!"

Telepathy couldn't help, though, as Metagross fumbled and hit itself in its confusion.

"Rain Dance, Mantyke!"

"Manta! Tata!!!" Mantyke flapped its winglike fins about and cast out a dark blue burst of light, which quickly turned into room-covering clouds that began producing heavy rain.

"Hyper Voice, darling!"

Flapping about in the pouring rain, Chatot let loose with a series of high pitched screeches and squawks. Neither Lucario nor Metagross seemed very affected by it, though, much to Lovrina's frustration.

"And now, Mantyke, apply Hydro Pump!"

The purpose of Tekot's calling for Rain Dance earlier became apparent - Mantyke's speed became greatly increased thanks to its Swift Swim ability, and with its new, blinding speed, struck Lucario using a rain-fueled water blast, its power defying the logic of Mantyke's small size.

"Lucario! Are you ready?" Lucario grunted in response to Rich, so he thrust his arm forward and pointed straight at his opponents. "Then let it all go! Drop a Rock Slide now!"

"Luluuuu....CARIO!!" Again using its fists, Lucario drilled into the ground with an earsplitting crack, sending large rocks flying at its foes. Both Lovrina and Tekot shrunk back, realizing too late their fatal error---both Chatot and Mantyke were Flying types, critically weak to Rock attacks. They were both defeated easily.

"Ohhh!! Oh, Tekot, this is all so your fault!"

"What?! Lovrina, are you serious?"

"Don't you dare backtalk me! Ugh, this is oh so annoying! Chatot, return! Go, Beequeen!"

"Sigh... fine. Mantyke, return! Next up, Raichu!"

"Not so fast there. Metagross, Hyper Beam!"

Upon hearing the telepathic command from Anabel, Metagross shook its head in confusion---then managed to return to its sense and lock its gaze onto Raichu. The orange electric rat shrank back in fear of the mighty iron beast bearing down on it, though it had not far to go and not much time to do it in as a huge beam of red energy fired out from the glowing steel cross on Metagross's face and hit Raichu with explosive power. Raichu flew across the room from the blast and smashed against one of the metal walls before falling down, defeated and fainted.

"What?!! That... that power, it's unnatural! Come on, Raichu, stand up and fight!"

"Tekot, you're just so wasting my time now!" Lovrina shouted. She didn't even notice Rich and Anabel snickering to themselves at the spectacle the two scientists were making. "Your Raichu, he's oh so weak, that's why it lost! Now send it back, I so haven't got all day!"

"Are you kidding me, Lovrina? I mean it in all due respect, but what have we got to do but sit in this dank lab all day?"

"YOU ZIP IT NOW!! If you insist on being oh so rude and butting into my business, I'll tell you---I've so got a manicure appointment after this battle. And after that I so need to go to the salon, because my hair has become oh so disgustingly drab from being stuck in this shed. IS THAT QUITE ENOUGH?"

"Whatever. Raichu, return. It looks like my Shadow Pokémon is my last. Go, Metang!"

Indeed, the Aura Reader went off and revealed the shadowy cloud around Metang as soon as it was released from its ball.

"Beequeen, let's go and change it up oh so much! Somersault!!"

On Lovrina's command, the honeycomb-bottomed bee turned into a sphere of deep green energy and threw itself at Metagross. Upon doing its strike---one that only inflicted slight damage---the sphere of energy that was Beequeen returned to its Poké Ball on its own, and a brown-and-white rabbit with long ears and fluffy fur around its arms appeared to replace it. This new creature was instantly identified as a Shadow Pokémon.

"Oh?" Rich stopped for a moment in surprise at the effect of Somersault, then reached for his P*DA. "A new move AND a new Pokémon."

"Somersault, an attack of the Bug type. When used, the Pokémon will strike against one opponent then withdraw itself from battle.

Mimilop, the rabbit Pokémon. Type is Normal. Evolved form of Buneary. A very wary Pokémon. When it senses danger, it covers its body with the fur at the fluffy tips of its ears. Mimilop always tends to its fur at the tip of its ears. It loves tidiness and never neglects self-care. It jumps and runs with agility and grace."

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
"Interesting, I'd never heard of that move before. Lucario, I think we need to lay into Metang a bit. What do you say?"

"Cario."

"I agree. Blaze Kick!"

Lucario backflipped up into the air, then came down with its red-glowing right leg pointed straight for Metang. When the attack hit---right between Metang's red eyes---the Steel and Psychic type let out a sickly moan as it backed away to try and escape Lucario's fury.

"I think it's time I made a change of my own." Anabel took out one of her Poké Balls and expanded it. "Metagross, you did well, come back. Now, go, my friend!"

After Anabel threw a second Poké Ball, her Erlade---a human-like Pokémon with a white body, green hair and green blades on its arms---appeared. Like Metagross it was part Psychic type, but instead of Steel its second type was Fighting.

"Mimilop, my darling, put that oh so annoying Lucario out of its misery and out of my hair right this moment! Shadow Rush!"

After the shadowy aura surrounded its body, Mimilop carefully balanced on its toes and began spinning, making its long ears like whips. With all the grace of a ballet dancer it spun around and smacked Lucario right in the face several times; the first hit knocked it back, the second down, and the third out.

"Hahaha!! I laugh at you, because I am so much stronger!"

"We've got a long way to go, Lovrina..." Tekot warned.

"SHUT UP! Every victory so begins with a first step!"

"I guess that's true." The scientist gave up arguing and shrugged his shoulders.

"Very good work, Lucario," Rich said as he returned his fainted Pokémon to its ball and readied its replacement. "Slowking, let's go!"

"Ah, Slowking, and a good specimen too. Metang, let us not be bad hosts. Show it your Shadow Rush!!"

Metang pulled back its right arm as the shadows cloaked its form, then thrust forward and punched Slowking. Unfortunately for Metang, however, its aim was off---it punched Slowking's crown of a Shellder, and therefore the attack did almost nothing.

"We shouldn't have much trouble from here, Rich. Erlade, put Metang to sleep with Hypnosis!"

Erlade focused its mind, and as it did, its eyes began to glow a soft blue shade. After a moment this same aura filled Metang's eyes, and the Shadow Pokémon drifted drowsily to the floor before falling asleep.

"Thank you, Anabel. Snag Ball, go!"

Because it was sleeping, Metang was a prime and easy target for a Snag Ball. Rich threw the ball, which quickly absorbed its target, rattled about on the floor three times, and clicked to indicate a successful Snag. Furthermore, it was Tekot's third and last Pokémon, so now Lovrina had to win on her own.

"Your power defies belief! I can't win!"

"What?! You'd so better be kidding me, Tekot! You are so not supposed to be impressed by them!"

"But-"

"No! No, no, no, no, NO! If I so have to do it myself, fine! Just prepare for a punishment when this is over! Mimilop, Shadow Down!"

By clapping its furry hands together, Mimilop cast a cloud of shadowy spores at its enemies. When the cloud struck, the defensive capabilities of Slowking and Erlade were lowered.

"Rich, we've got this in the bag. Follow my lead. Erlade, Hypnosis!"

Erlade cast another Hypnosis attack, this one at Mimilop. Much like Metang, the spell took hold quickly and made Mimilop fall asleep.

"I get it. Slowking, Dynamicpunch! Let's go!"

"Sloooh~~?" Slowking's airy demeanor actually served it well as a weapon. Mimilop never saw the attack coming, and when Slowking's right fist connected with its face, Mimilop rolled across the floor--amazingly staying asleep despite it all.

"M-Mimilop!! We so cannot lose! Shadow Rush now!"

Nothing. Mimilop's snooze continued, the Shadow Pokémon totally oblivious to Lovrina's command.

"Anabel, we've got this one wrapped up. Allow me. Snag Ball, go!"

Just like Metang, Mimilop was an easy and inviting target---after the ball sucked it in and wobbled, it locked. Lovrina had lost her Shadow Pokémon as well.

"Oh, boo! How dare you!! Beequeen, it's so about time we win this!"

Lovrina sent out Beequeen again more determined than ever, but the wry smile on Anabel's face spoke of other plans for it.

"I don't think I need to keep this one silent. Metagross, use Aerial Ace to finish this up!"

Tucking in its legs, Metagross went into its hovering form then threw itself across the room and into Beequeen. The power of the hit propelled the two even further, stopping only when Metagross's iron bulk crushed Beequeen against the wall. Anabel's Pokémon then backed away triumphantly, leaving Beequeen to fall down fainted.

"Oh! Oh!!! You---you two so will not get away with it!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lovrina began throwing a fit, stomping her feet against the metal flooring. As she did, Tekot slowly began to back away towards a previously-hidden door marked "EMERGENCY EXIT" in large red letters. Before he could escape, though, Lovrina became dead calm and closed her big green eyes.

"Tekot." Her voice had suddenly become calm to a disconcerting level.

"Y-yes, Lovrina?"

"You take one step through that door and I will see to it that Queen Shadow has your head for it."

As Tekot cowered in fear of Lovrina's threat, Rich and Anabel backed off a bit as well. Lovrina had become so serious that she lost the valley girl speech pattern she always had. After several tense moments, she opened her eyes and looked straight at Rich and the group.

"It is so almost a shame I have to do this," she said, relaxing a bit and falling back into her valley girl style. "Your daughter is oh so adorable. It's so too bad that once I crush you all of you will be prisoners of Queen Shadow."

"How can you fight us?" Rich answered smugly. "I don't know how you have a new Queen Shadow, but besides, we defeated all your Pokémon. You can't battle anymore, it's over!"

"Wait, Rich, we forgot something..." Jackie added cautiously. "Her Shadow Styler. If it can't capture Pokémon, the only thing it can do is..."

"Finally, one of you says something that so makes a little sense!" Lovrina was fully back in her hyper state now. "Tekot, pass me the Styler! NOW!!"

Without a word, Lovrina's punching bag of a scientist sidekick lifted the saxophone from the floor and gave it to his boss, who licked her lips to prepare for a performance.

"I so will now dazzle you with my starring performance! My musical talent combined with the raw power of Shadow Pokémon! Now, shine the spotlight on that brilliant star of shadows - Togekiss!!"

As Lovrina began playing an upbeat tune on the saxophone, a hatch opened up in the wall and the paper airplane-like Pokémon flew in. It glided around the room, and as it did so it gave off sparks of shadow energy to the beat of Lovrina's music.

"What is that thing?!" Rich shouted. "I--"

"What is that thing is right!" Jackie cut in, holding up his Styler at the creature. "The readings are going absolutely wild! I've never seen a Pokémon give off this much dark energy in my life!"

"It's pretty," Olivia observed innocently.

"That's not the kind of pretty you want," replied Jackie, who then activated his Styler. "I'd better try to get ahold of it. Capture on!"

The Capture Disk shot out of Jackie's Styler, followed by the device's antenna. Once the disk reached Togekiss's position he began spinning the Styler in circles to make it surround its target. A ring of energy formed, but Togekiss quickly dispelled it and broke the capture attempt with a musically-prompted blast of shadow energy.

"I am so laughing at you! None of your feeble Ranger Stylers can stop our Shadow Stylers! Togekiss!" Lovrina took a deep breath then blew a long, drawn-out note from her saxophone, forcing terribly strong waves of energy through Togekiss's body. "Teach him a lesson!"

"Tooooooogeeeeiiiiiiii!!" Togekiss squealed as the energy painfully coursed through its form. Something frightening then happened---its colors inverted, transforming the ordinarily white creature into a terrifying black hue with evil red eyes. All of Rich's group gasped in fear, and Olivia hid behind Anabel's leg---then Togekiss dove straight for Jackie in an absolutely frenzied state. The Ranger was only protected when his Chatot lept out and absorbed the instant-knockout blow. After it attacked, Togekiss reverted to its normal form as if nothing had happened.

"Chatot!!" Jackie screamed, looking in horror at his battered partner on the ground.

"I am oh so proud of my Togekiss. It does exactly what I want, and all I need to do is play this saxophone!"

"But did you notice what happened when you did that?" Anabel retorted harshly. "Togekiss went through horrific pain as you forced the shadow energy through its body! That's awful!"

"Duh, like I care? Pokémon are tools for battling, nothing more. That's so the mission statement of Enigma Shadow: take over the world by using Pokémon as our weapons! And it'll be oh-so-soon when the entire world is filled with our weapons, rendering us invincible!"

"Disgusting," Rich spat as he stepped forward to challenge Lovrina. "You lot haven't changed much at all. I'll take you on."

"You so only have five Pokémon with your Lucario being fainted," Lovrina reminded. "Knowing that, do you still challenge me?"

"Yes."

"Fine! Now I am so going to beat you into a pulp!"

Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Admin Lovrina

[As Lovrina plays a short tune on her saxophone, Togekiss glides around then cries out loudly]

"Before I begin, I'd better learn about my opponent..."

As always, Rich brought out his P*DA and scanned his new foe.

"Togekiss, the blessing Pokémon. Type is Normal/Flying. Evolved form of Togetic. Togekiss's presence is a sign of happiness and peace, so it will not appear where there are disputes. There have been no documented sightings of it in the wild recently."

"You must've had it captured before all this began, then. Slowking, get going!"

Slowking burst forth from its Poké Ball with a fiery determination, but seemed to lose a bit of its will when it saw Togekiss being controlled like a marionette by Lovrina.

"I so do not fear you, so you may have the first attack!"

"Very well, it'll be my pleasure. Slowking, no messing around! Ice Punch!"

Despite the fact it only had short legs, Slowking dashed forward and cocked its right arm in preparation to deliver an icy blow. Right as it lept into the air to reach Togekiss's position, Lovrina blew a few notes from her Styler.

"Counter with Shadow Break!"

The speed was remarkable. Literally in the blink of an eye Togekiss was cloaked in the shadowy aura and dove right at Slowking, hitting its enemy's attack head-on with its own. An explosion occured from the overpowering clash of energy, sending both combatants back.

"Quickly, Slowking!" Rich's eye had caught a brief moment where Togekiss had fallen out of Lovrina's control, and he intended to capitalize on it. "Ice Beam!!"

Slowking caught the same thing Rich had, so it didn't waste any time in firing an icy beam from its mouth. This time, Togekiss didn't counter, and therefore took the blow directly. It cried out in pain, the tips of its wings freezing over slightly. Lovrina did not seem concerned, though, as an evil look washed over her green eyes.

"Feh, enough. I've grown oh so tired of these games. NOW!!" The Shadow Admin began playing a full song on the saxophone, and as she did, shadow energy forced itself into Togekiss's body anew. Clearly the Pokémon was suffering greatly, a fact made obvious by its pained whimpers and writhing, but when Lovrina hit the song's final note, it transformed into the Dark Togekiss form that Lovrina had used to attack Jackie. "Hit him with Shadow End!"

A sound like a rocket filled the room---appropriate, as Togekiss recklessly dive-bombed Slowking at rocketlike speed.

"Slowwwwlowwww!!!!!!" Slowking cried out, knocked down by the vicious attack. Nothing but pain was in its mind, and it almost wanted to faint so the battle would stop. Even as such, it managed to bravely stand up and continue to face Lovrina and Togekiss.

"Slowking! Are you sure you can hold up any longer?"

Slowking nodded in response, however its motions were weak. There was no denying that Togekiss had left quite a mark from its last attack.

"We're going to need something more. Thunder Wave!"

The electrical pulses were just as weak as Slowking itself, yet they still did the job of paralyzing Togekiss. Again Lovrina just snickered, then twisted out a few notes to prepare for her attack.

"You are so going to be blown away when I do this. Shadow Purge NOW!!"

Much to Rich's surprise, Togekiss seemed unhindered by the paralysis completely. It tensed up all the muscles in its body to gather power, then unleashed a blast of shadow energy all around the room. One wave nearly hit Olivia and would have if Anabel didn't push her out of the way; a second bounced off the floor right in front of Rich's feet. All the waves, however, hit Slowking - causing it to faint. Surprisingly, after it finished attacking, Togekiss seemed healed of paralysis. Reading Rich's shocked expression, Lovrina laughed.

"Are you surprised? That is so what our Shadow Stylers can do now! Shadow Purge so not only causes more damage when the user's afflicted, it heals as well! Now what are you going to do?"

"Grrr... looks like the only thing I can do is..." Suddenly, the solution became clear. "Of course, that's it! Slowking, take a break. Melodic, go! Hypnosis!"

The moment it came out from its ball and entered the battle, Melodic locked eyes with Togekiss and cast the Hypnosis aura. Just like in the previous battle, as soon as the glowing blue wisps filled Togekiss's eyes, it fell asleep and crashed to the floor.

"What?! That so isn't going to stop us!" Lovrina began furiously playing the saxophone, to no avail. "Shadow Purge, now! NOW!!"

Nothing. Rich's tactic had worked, and with a smirk of his own, he readied the Snag Ball.

"So much for your Shadow Styler, Lovrina. It can't save you now. Snag Ball, go!!"

Rich flung the Snag Ball at Togekiss and hit the mark perfectly---the Normal and Flying type was absorbed into the ball, which then began tottering about on the ground. Lovrina stared at it, her green eyes practically burning through the plastic sphere.

"Don't you dare, you little bra--"

A click. Togekiss was Snagged. Not only that, Lovrina's Styler began sparking and malfunctioning.

"You SO did not do that!"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

"I'll so have to get it back, then!"

Lovrina tried to use her Styler again, but smoke blew out of it and it fell down, completely destroyed and useless.

"Not so fast there," Anabel said smugly. "You lost, there's no other way around it."

"Bah...I will so destroy you! You aren't getting away with---"

"Silence, Lovrina. Accept the fact that you've lost."

All in the room turned to Lovrina's computer screen. On it was none other than the terrifying visage of Queen Shadow, who had seen all the events unfold.

"Q-Queen Shadow!" Lovrina screamed. "I am so sorry!"

"Maria," Rich snarled, identifying Queen Shadow by name. "I guess you weren't satisfied with faking your death, coming back and nearly killing us all. How'd you get out of jail?!!"

"That's for me to know and you to find out," Maria replied sarcastically. "Lovrina, I'm disgusted with you. You were supposed to defeat him and bring them to me. You have failed."

"My queen..." Lovrina's long, spindly legs were buckling, indicating how afraid she was of Maria. "We weren't ready. The Shadow Styler, it was so not enough. Blame Yung and Gordor for making it oh so weak, not me!"

"Oh, I am going to have a word with them, you may bank on that. HOWEVER, it was up to you to use it properly and you failed. I want you back at headquarters immediately for reassignment."

"Yes, Queen Shadow." Lovrina hung her head dejectedly. She didn't even notice that Tekot had long since fled.

"Now for you lot, Rich, Anabel. I see that your little Ranger friend is still hanging around you."

"Who is she, Mommy?" Olivia screamed from her hiding place behind Anabel's legs. "She's scary!"

"She's a bad, bad lady who tried to hurt me and your father a long time ago." Anabel tried to sound comforting, but couldn't do it.

"Don't hurt my mommy and daddy!!" Olivia turned her fear into anger and directly addressed Maria.

"So that's the little Mistbloom I've been hearing of." Maria seemed uninterested. "She's certainly got the spark, that's for sure. But I'm not concerned about that. Rich, even though you have beaten Lovrina you are nowhere near stopping our plans. Stronger Stylers and stronger Shadow Pokémon are being made, and you'd better be serious about training to face them."

"Oh, you can count on that. Really, you should just give up and turn yourself in. There's no way you can win."

"We shall see about that. I grow tired of talking... Lovrina, headquarters. Immediately."

She had been relaxing while Maria spoke to Rich, but as soon as she was addressed, Lovrina snapped to attention.

"Yes, my queen! I am so there!"

With that, Lovrina sprinted across the room to the emergency exit and made her escape. Once she was gone, Maria bowed her head, and deactivated the screen. Now it was just Rich's group alone in the room.

"That was Enigma Shadow's boss?" Jackie's jaw had dropped in disbelief. "How are you and her so familiar, Rich?"

"It's a long story. Many years ago, Enigma Shadow existed but their operations were clandestine. What needed to be done in public was done through a puppet organization in the Orre Region called Cipher. I was young and looking to make my mark on the world then, so I joined Cipher, but once I learned of their plans I became horrified and fled."

"I don't understand."

Rich sighed, his hopes of not having to recount the entire tale to Jackie dashed. With a deep breath, he continued.

"Enigma Shadow was working through Cipher to test the formulas for creating Shadow Pokémon, a fact I didn't know when I joined. Eventually I was assigned to work at a laboratory isolated in the desert, and it was there that I discovered their vile plot---from none other than Anabel's parents, Ein and Venus, who were founding members of Cipher. They stayed on, got knocked out, and have now reformed, but I fled immediately. I couldn't stay in Orre because Cipher's original boss, Evice, put a price on my head. I escaped to Hoenn while Evice, his chief executive Nascour, and later Cipher's Grand Master Greevil Verich were all arrested. Maria, the supreme leader of Enigma Shadow even then, swore revenge on me for abandoning them."

"I see. Now I think I'm beginning to understand."

"I found my place when I became champion of Larousse City's Aeria Tower, then known only as the Battle Tower, but this gave Maria the chance she wanted to get her payback. One night, she attended one of my battles and sought me out afterward. Since I had never met her before, I was receptive to her and bought her story about being one of my fans... but that wasn't what she wanted. As much as I love and cherish Melodic and all my Pokémon, what I really needed at that stage was a human companion---and that's what she did. We ended up becoming romantically involved..."

As soon as Rich dropped those words, Jackie turned to Anabel in shock.

"You know about this?!" the Ranger asked, his voice indicative of how surprised he was. "Are you alright with knowing that he had such a relationship before you?"

"It's fine with me," Anabel replied, shrugging. "He was looking for love then, so I can't hold him responsible. Today, we've both found what we were looking for in each other and our love is strong, so what happened in the past doesn't matter."

"She's right. Now, after a fairly short courtship Maria and I got engaged. I flew in my parents from our family's hometown of Sootopolis City to meet her, and they had several hours with her while I had a battle. That was the linchpin, the zero-hour for their plot. The tower the three of them were in was blown up by Enigma Shadow, and all of them died. Actually, only my parents died---the 'Maria' in the tower was a phony that the real Maria had created in another secret lab to fuel the illusion. She thought by breaking my heart and chasing me from the Battle Tower she could get revenge, and for a while she was right---I hid in depressed seclusion for four years. But she didn't count on me making a comeback at the Tower, uncovering their plot, and stopping it. In fact, I owe her a bit of a thanks because had it not been for me going on the adventure to stop her, I would've never met Anabel."

Jackie nodded and motioned for Chatot to come, and it landed on his shoulder.

"I get it now. I think we'd best be getting back to Floria Town, Elita is surely waiting on our report of what happened."

"Sure. Let's go."

With a surprising calm, Rich led the way through the emergency door. Past it was yet another spiralling metal staircase, the entrance chamber at the top. Rich, Anabel, Olivia and Jackie scaled it and left the building, walking back into the sun for the first time in hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There wasn't much sun on Maria's face, however. She was sitting in her tall-backed throne furiously lashing Yung verbally for the failure of his invention.

"You promised, PROMISED me that this Shadow Styler of yours would work, Yung! Explain yourself!"

"My queen, that saxophone was only a prototype! It wasn't meant to show what a fully powered model can do!" Yung tried to shout with the goal of conveying some inner strength, but the shakiness in his voice combined with his buckling knees betrayed that facade to a painfully obvious degree. He was fearful of what Maria would do. "And besides, why am I the only one being punished? Gordor put just as much work into that Styler as I did, and it was Lovrina's fault she didn't use it properly."

"Oh, they're gonna get major dressing-downs themselves, Yung, you can bet on it. But you're the head of the project because YOU invented the Shadow Pokémon System and YOU came up with the idea of combining your system with the design of Gordor's Power Styler! You had better get in that lab and produce something that actually works, or I will be forced to seriously consider firing you from the project and putting Gordor in charge. Do you understand me?!!"

"Yes, but..."

"DISMISSED!!"

Realizing his situation was hopeless, Yung turned and stormed away, sulking to himself.

"She'll see... nobody spits on the work of Dr. Mitchell Yung. When my own Styler captures that thing, together we'll make her pay..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Rich and the group approached the gates of Okka Town on their way back to Floria Town, a pair of familiar faces were waiting for them: Rosemary and the mayor, Harlan.

"My friends!" Rosemary called out on sighting them. "I'm so glad to see you back! How'd it go?"

"There was an Enigma Shadow facility out there as we thought," Rich explained. "They were testing a Shadow Styler there."

"We've heard," Harlan replied. "I must thank you sincerely for protecting our town from those crooks!"

"Don't worry about it," Anabel said with a grin.

"There was a scary lady there too," Olivia burst out in her usual habit of speaking suddenly. "She had scary blue eyes and black hair."

"Well, there's nothing for you to be afraid of. Your parents will protect you. And look, I brought your friend!"

Rosemary reached for a Poké Ball on her belt and popped it open, releasing Budew. The tiny Grass type lept right into Olivia's arms.

"Budew! Dewdew!!" it chirped happily.

"Now," the professor continued, "we should be getting back to Floria Town. The Ranger Base is awaiting us."

With nods from the group, they all bid farewell to Harlan and began walking back to Floria Town, the memories of another Enigma Shadow encounter behind them but the expectations of even more awaiting them...

Enigma Shadow's certainly been busy in the seven years since Rich last crushed their vile schemes. Even though it was only a prototype, the Shadow Styler used by Lovrina provided a frightening glimpse into what the organization plans to do. Our heroes managed to thwart the valley girl scientist's delusions of grandeur---at least for now---but Yung, Gordor and Maria are still hard at work improving the Shadow Styler, while Snattle and Brandon are ready to go at a moment's notice should Maria need their services in her attempts to stop Rich's quest. Can our heroes overcome the seemingly overwhelming odds to halt the wicked plot Enigma Shadow has cooked up? Stay tuned!

END of CHAPTER TWO