• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon XD: Enigma Shadow

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
And now........the plot thickens as identities are revealed and dark pasts are brought to light........

------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER SEVEN: A Sky-High Showdown

Any normal craft would have been useless in the storm, but Rich's Lugia was tough enough to make it through. With its four passengers holding on to its back for dear life, Lugia fought the punishing winds and rain on its way to Enigma Shadow's airship. This would not be an easy trip. The airship was designed to look just like a black Lugia, making it hard to see in the roiling black clouds that coated the sky. Massive bolts of lightning occasionally lit up the sky, granting Rich and his friends only brief glimpses of where they were going. The one thing they had to be thankful for was Lugia's psychic powers----using them was the only way to find the airship's docking port, the only way in. Finally Lugia managed to land inside the port, and the four heroes got off.

"Lugia, return!" Rich recalled Lugia to its ball for a rest, then looked around. "There's only two ways out of this place. One will involve us jumping out the way we came in and will almost certainly result in our deaths. The other is through that door...." Rich pointed to a door on the opposite side of the room, ".....which will surely yield a fight with someone high in Enigma Shadow's ranks. Which will it be?"

"We take the door," Ashley answered confidently.

"Right. Onward we must go!"

The four rushed up to the door, then Steven pushed a button on the door's side. It slid open, allowing them passage into the next, much bigger chamber. This room had a large hexagon-shaped platform in the middle, two catwalks that connected to the docking port's door and a closed door, and finally a new door on the opposite end. Anabel instantly went up to the door, the others close behind, and pressed the button----but the door stayed shut.

"No!" she cried out. "It doesn't work! We're trapped!"

"Wahahahahah! Now how does it feel to be the mice in my trap?"

The door connected by the second catwalk slid open, and Nascour swept into the room. His purple clothes and cape made him just as intimidating as he was the last time Rich and Steven met him, in Larousse. His evil red eyes and wild white hair just contributed to it.

"Welcome to the beginning of your nightmare, Rich. At last, we meet again. I've been waiting a very long time for this."

"I should've known it was you all along," Rich growled back. "I'm going to put an end to this once and for all!"

"Now, now, don't be so hasty. I am extending your life by not fighting you right away."

"Nascour........" Anabel said, rather annoyed by his tone. "Only you could be so bold."

"Thank you. You see, Rich and I have battled before in the past. The last time we met, I sorely underestimated him. But this time, I will earn Queen Shadow's favor by bringing the traitor back into our fold."

"Trait........WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!??!" Anabel, Steven, and Ashley all screamed at once.

"Wahahah! Your little friend isn't all he thinks he is! He's really one of us!"

"Rich....please tell me this isn't true...." Anabel begged weakly.

"Uh....ugh...."

"Come now, do not lie," Nascour prodded, sneering. "Tell your friend the truth."

"It's.....it's true...."

Anabel gasped and fainted briefly. Steven and Ashley had to hold her up from falling off the platform.

"Many years ago, when I lived in Phenac City.......I....I was a member of Cipher. I was a clueless kid then, and once I uncovered the truth about Cipher's Shadow Pokémon plan.....I fled to Hoenn."

"Even then, you were very powerful. Queen Shadow favored you greatly, and when you defected, she was furious to have lost such a strong agent. As you stand before me now, I can sense your power has grown even greater. I will give you one last chance to save your life and those of your friends. Give in and rejoin us. If you cooperate, I will take you to Queen Shadow and she will render a somewhat merciful punishment on you. If you refuse, I will take you as prisoners by force, and Queen Shadow will terminate your lives. What is your decision?"

Rich tried to answer, but choked up and began crying instead. He did, however, manage to mouth the word 'no.'

"You have refused my offer. So be it. You have ruined our plans at every turn, for many years since you took the first blow with your acts of treason. Since you refuse to cooperate, I have no choice but to destroy you in battle and take you all prisoner. Queen Shadow will not hesitate to terminate your lives once I have defeated you."

"Rich........" Anabel said softly.

"A-A-Anabel...I'm sorry...."

"Don't take that junk from him! Take him down! I believe in you, Rich!"

Anabel seemed to reinvigorate Rich with every syllable she spoke. He stopped crying, wiped his face, and faced Nascour with a renewed air of confidence.

"So your girlfriend's got your back. It doesn't matter at this point. Prepare to lose!"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Cipher Nascour
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Nascour's hair and cape waved in the wind generated by a cooling fan]

"This will be a decisive victory for Enigma Shadow. Sceptile and Walrein, go!"

"You may have resorted to dirty tactics to try and break my spirit, but I will win! Go, Alakazam and Salamence!"

As the two teams of Pokémon stared each other down, Nascour chuckled, took something out of his pocket, and held it tightly in his fist.

"Most amusing. How about we raise the stakes a bit?" Nascour opened his fist, revealing a shiny red gem. "This is the Ruby Plate, the only one you do not possess."

"Now what are you babbling about? Neither of us has the Emerald Plate either."

"Oh, what you don't know. Do you have that key you got from Spenser?"

"Yeah......" Rich took out the green key.

"That key fits into the center of the Battle Tower champ's belt you wear. Inside is the Emerald Plate."

Stunned, Rich quickly took the key, inserted it into the center of the belt's golden Poké Ball emblem, and gave it a twist. The emblem popped open, and inside was a shiny green gem. The Emerald Plate.

"Now, my proposal. Whoever wins this match shall obtain all the Element Plates held by the loser."

"You're on!"

"Now, let us dispose with the talk and fight to the bitter end. Sceptile, Crunch!"

Nascour's Sceptile rushed forward towards Alakazam with fangs bared. The Psychic type was caught completely off guard and thus could not dodge the powerful attack.

"Don't put up with that, Alakazam! Use Thunderpunch!"

Alakazam recovered from the painful impact of Crunch, teleported to right behind Walrein, and delivered a strong blow with an electrified punch to the walrus-like Pokémon.

"Salamence, Flamethrower!"

Salamence followed up quickly by loosing fire from its mouth, burning and injuring Sceptile greatly. Even so, the Grass type still seemed to have some fight left in it.

"How amusing. Walrein, Body Slam!"

Walrein sprung into the air---an incredible feat for such a large creature---and smashed its entire bulk down on Alakazam, which fainted.

"Wahahahah! This should end differently than last time!"

"That's what you think. Return, Alakazam! Go, Ludicolo!"

"Ludicolo, hmph. Sceptile, attack with Frenzy Plant!"

Large roots came out of the seeds on Sceptile's back, dug into the ground, and came back up to whip Ludicolo powerfully. This also left Sceptile quite obviously exhausted.

"Brick Break, Salamence!"

Salamence roared, then glided quickly down and smashed Walrein with its claws. Walrein tried to hold back against the blow, but its efforts failed. It tumbled over, fainted.

"This could actually end up being quite fun indeed. Return, Sceptile! Go, Gardevoir!"

"Rich, that's a Shadow Gardevoir!"

"Thank you, Anabel. Ice Beam!"

Ludicolo backflipped as it began charging the Ice Beam up, then it fired the freezing attack at Sceptile. This was a strong hit, and Sceptile fainted.

"I was right when I appraised your skills at higher than before. Sceptile, return! Go, Blaziken! Gardevoir, use Shadow Sky!"

Gardevoir began doing a strange dance as shadow energy accumulated in its body. It then looked straight up and screamed as a burst of shadow energy came out of it and shot up to the top of the room. When it hit the ceiling, it burst into an aura that covered the room.

"Blast Burn!"

Blaziken took a deep breath, sucking in superheated air. After a moment, it used this air to blast Ludicolo with a massive fireball. The impact sent Ludicolo flying, and when it landed it was knocked out.

"So you want to play it that way? Fine, Nascour, let's play. Return, Ludicolo! Go......Lugia!! Salamence, Earthquake!"

Salamence flew high into the air, then crashed down to create a shock wave. Lugia simply glided over it, but Gardevoir and Blaziken could not escape. The former took a heavy blow, the latter was knocked out instantly. Nascour gritted his teeth in anger.

"Grrrrr.......well done, formidable foe, well done......return! Go, Swampert!"

As soon as Nascour's Swampert came out, bursts of light rained down from the shadowy aura. They hurt all the non-Shadows---in this case, Swampert, Lugia, and Salamence.

"No more games, Nascour. Lugia, Giga Drain!"

Lugia's eyes flashed with bright blue light, then it began draining Swampert's energy. This attack was four times as effective as it held superiority over both Swampert's Water type and its Ground type. Swampert just fell over fainted.

"N-no.....this is.....Gah! Return! Go, Xatu!"

"Rich, that's another Shadow Pokémon!"

"I am not going to lose! Gardevoir, Shadow Rave!"

Shadow energy collected in Gardevoir's body, then it launched spikes of this energy at Rich's team. Neither Salamence nor Lugia took all that much damage, though.

"Snag Ball, go!"

Rich threw a Snag Ball at Gardevoir. Weakened from Salamence's powerful Earthquake earlier in the battle, it could not fight and was Snagged. More bursts of light then rained down from the shadowy aura, this time hitting Salamence and Lugia.

"Lugia, Surf!"

Using its psychic powers once again, Lugia formed a large wave of water which it crashed down on Xatu with great force.

"Xatu, Shadow Rush!"

The shadow aura surrounded Xatu's body as it flew up and into Lugia, doing a small amount of damage. Rich grinned broadly, sensing victory.

"Snag Ball, go!!!"

Rich threw the Snag Ball at Xatu. Nascour watched in horror as his final Pokémon was grabbed by the ball, which rocked once......

.....twice.......

.......three times. Xatu had been Snagged as well.

"H-how can this be?! Forgive me, Queen Shadow! I can't beat him!"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Well done, you scoundrel. You have bested me yet again, now allow me to give you your reward."

"Hand it over."

"Oh, I'm not the one doing the handing over. Your reward is the priviledge of getting the Element Plates taken from you!"

All four heroes screamed in terror as a huge magnet appeared from a hatch in the ceiling. It moved to right over Rich and activated, pulling the Sapphire, Emerald, Pearl, and Diamond Plates from his pockets. Once the four Plates were stuck to the magnet, it moved to over Nascour and dropped them to him.

"Y-You dirty cheat!" Ashley shouted.

"Wahahah! Forgive me, but I must be off!"

Nascour rushed out of the room.

"I don't believe it.....I fell for his trick....beating him didn't do a thing....."

Anabel just then noticed some objects on the floor.

"Hmm? Look, Rich, he dropped some things."

Anabel picked up the objects and handed them to Rich. One was a blue-and-white Poké Ball with the letter 'M' on it, the other a small metallic object with a red button on it.

"This is a Master Ball, which I'm sure will serve us well. I'll have to save it for an important Snag. But this thing?"

Steven took the odd object and looked at it.

"I know what it is. It's a remote for a Devon Corp. robotic door! I bet it opens the locked door over there."

"Give it a try."

Steven pointed the device at the door and pressed the button. As he had suspected, it opened.

"Now, let's get a move on."

Rich and the others went through the door and up the stairs leading to their next challenge.........................

To Be Continued.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Scizor King said:
Okay, I decided to read this, and . . . THIS IS GREAT. Great plot, awesome choice of Pokemon, and the likes. I think Regidon is [SPOIL]Lawrance[/SPOIL] and I think Queen Shadow is [SPOIL]Victoria (The one who told them about the legends).[/SPOIL] Why? I'm weird like that. Scratch that, Parfrida is a talking Jynx! J/K What? It's supposed to make my jaw drop! And what's with Lawrance's assumpyion/prediction/thingamabober? (The one that said Rich has feelings for someone(something like that))

Well, thank you for your kind review! :)

I don't want to ruin too much, but Lawrence's prediction will come into play in the latter part of Chapter Seven and onward.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Now we move on........Nascour's gone down, but what else awaits our heroes in Enigma Shadow's airship?

------------------------------------------------------------

Behind the Devon Corporation-remote controlled door was a long flight of stairs. These led up from the belly of the craft up the Lugia-shaped battleship's neck towards the cockpit in its head. When the four heroes finally reached a door at the top of the stairs, Steven went right ahead and pushed the button to open it. A surprising sight greeted them.

Standing in the room were Chancellor Lawrence and his silver-armored bodyguard, Pluto.

"Lawrence?!!!!"

"Muh huh huh. I am pleased to see you here, Rich. My initial prediction was right. I see even that fool Nascour couldn't stop you."

"What's going on here? Why are you here?!"

"Oh, you are such a naive child, Anabel. At times I am known as the enigmatic Supreme Chancellor of the Metalico Islands, and indeed, that is how I prefer most people to think of me. But you....you four have discovered the truth. I am......." Lawrence took down his hood, revealing his full face for the first time. "Admiral Regidon of Enigma Shadow!"

"Y-You!" Rich growled. "I know who you are! That jerk who almost flooded the planet to capture a Lugia!"

"How dare you call my master a jerk!" Pluto screamed.

"Calm yourself, Pluto," Lawrence said cooly. "You guess correctly, Rich. That incident in the Orange Islands was my work, and it was an early part of our plan which now is unfolding as we speak. Where did you think we got the DNA to make Shadow Pokémon out of Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Lugia?"

Rich gritted his teeth in anger and prepared to battle Lawrence, but the villanous Chancellor just kept rambling on.

"Ah, the Beast of the Sea......Lugia was my prize.......I was so close to capturing it. Had I done so, my collection would have been complete and this planet would already belong to Queen Shadow......I was so proud of XD001....it was the culmination of all the work I had done to that point to make a Shadow Pokémon completely resistant to purification. But....but it wasn't enough! That fool Krane and his stepson Michael....they ruined it and purified my magnificent Shadow Lugia! But........I am calm now. It doesn't matter what happened to XD001 because it was just a prototype. XD-02 is our new masterpiece. Nothing can stop us once Queen Shadow unleashes it. It's only a matter of time now. Soon....soon she will return......."

"Just what ARE you rambling about?"

"Oh, Rich, please forgive my musings. Just know that your lives are now at stake. You have meddled in our plans too deeply for much too long. Pluto, I will leave it to you to deal with them. I'll be awaiting you in the cockpit."

Lawrence left the room, and Pluto stepped forward to challenge Rich.

"No one calls my master a jerk and gets away with it! You're gonna pay!"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Admin Pluto
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Pluto held his arms in the air, and gusts of icy wind burst from the armor on his wrists]

"Go, Ditto and Articuno!"

"So you're playing it that way. Fine. Go, Salamence and Tyranitar!"

"Rich, that's a Shadow Articuno!"

"Indeed it is, and it'll show you its power. Shadow Chill!"

A beam of ice infused with shadow energy shot out of Articuno's beak and hit Salamence. The attack did high damage, and it also froze Salamence solid.

"It doesn't matter! Sorry, Salamence........."

"He wanted it to be frozen?” Ashley wondered.

“I don’t understand it either,” Steven answered, “but I’ve known him for a long time and he’s always done crazy things like that. Funny thing is, they usually work too.”

"Ditto, use Transform!"

Ditto stretched and bent its body, then transformed into a Salamence copy. It looked just like a Salamence, but with a Ditto's face.

"My plan worked! Tyranitar, attack with Blizzard!"

Perhaps it was poetic justice, but it was an attack of Pluto's expert type--Ice--that proved to be his bane early in this match. Tyranitar sent out a blast of ice and snow at his team, damaging Articuno somewhat but taking down Salamence Ditto.

"I get it!" Anabel realized. "He wanted Ditto to become Salamence so Blizzard would defeat it! Very clever........"

"Not bad, punk! Return, Ditto! Next it's.....Hitmontop! Articuno, finish that dragon off with Shadow Chill!"

Articuno fired off another beam of dark ice at Salamence, this time taking it down. Rich looked a bit sad at this turn, but unsurprised.

"Sorry I had to do that, Salamence. Have a rest. Go, Alakazam! Use Psychic!"

Alakazam's eyes glowed blue, then a blue aura surrounded Hitmontop. Using its psychic power, Alakazam lifted the Fighting type into the air and then crashed it down, defeating it.

"What! How.......Hitmontop, return! Go, Breloom!"

"Tyranitar, Thunder Wave!"

Weak pulses of electricity came from Tyranitar's body and zapped Articuno, paralyzing it.

"Breloom, Mach Punch!"

Breloom rushed to great speed, soon becoming a blur, then smashed its fists into Tyranitar's body. Rich's Pokémon roared loudly but stood firm against the blow.

"Snag Ball, go!"

Rich threw a Snag Ball at the paralyzed Articuno. The Shadow Pokémon was scooped up and the ball rocked once......

twice.....

and three times. Articuno was Snagged.

"Yes! I snagged Articuno!"

"Nooooo......Chief Noland said that would be invincible to Snagging!"

"None of your Shadow Pokémon are invincible to Snagging. Alakazam, finish this fight with Psychic!"

Alakazam obliged, blasting Breloom with psychic power. The Fighting and Grass type fainted, sealing Rich's victory.

"First Nascour falls, then I fall.........Master Lawrence, you had better be ready for this guy!"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“I’ll be fair. You’ve beaten me, I admit it. As your reward, I’ll open the door to the cockpit.....” The door behind Pluto slid open. “However, I would advise you to be careful---my master is exponentially stronger than Nascour and I combined. Good luck---you’ll need it!”

Pluto fled the room.

“Come on,” Rich said. “Let’s get going!”

The four rushed through the open door and up the stairs.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the heroes reached the airship’s cockpit, Lawrence sat in his chair, facing them with his eyes closed.

“Lawrence!!!”

“Rich.......” Lawrence said blandly, with his eyes still closed. He then began to recite the legend........

“At the beginning of time, land fought sea. The planet was shaken by storms whose power has never been replicated. Most life was destroyed by the bitter battle, which raged for years. However, a small group of people and Pokémon survived in the frigid areas of the north. They were protected by a creature said to be the physical incarnation of the rainbows.......it sheltered them with heat and light. As the years passed and the battle wore on, the rainbow weakened....the people wished for help, and help they got. A purple crystal appeared one day, a crystal containing a never-seen-before creature. It spoke to them.........”My name is Jirachi. I come from the comet....the Millenium Comet.....your wish, I will grant it.....” Jirachi was able to summon a giant green dragon incarnated from the comet’s power. It soothed the land and the sea, ending the fight. To balance the world's elements, the dragon created three golems with the power of rock, ice, and steel. These creatures, devoid of true souls, soon took to fighting amongst themselves. From its perch atop the Sky Pillar, the dragon beheld sadly what its creations were doing, then sealed them all away after a second cataclysmic battle. Finally the world was at peace."

The four stood thinking about this, when Lawrence opened his eyes and stood up.

“This power, the power to create the strongest storm....it has slept for millions of years. What we hope to accompish, already halfway done, is break the seal upon Groudon and Kyogre. We will use this power to destroy the world, that way we can use them to remake it as we see fit. I commend your courage in following me here, but I will not allow a simple person like you to ruin our plans.”

“So that’s your plot? What about the Shadow Pokémon---where do they fit?”

“Ah, I will tell you. Once we destroy the world and just about everything in it, we will need to rebuild from the bottom up. Most of the Shadow Pokémon will be the forerunners, the prototypes, if you will, of a new dark race. Our ultimate creation, XD-02, shall serve as all the military we need. Any glitches in the system will be eradicated, quickly and decisively.”

“Y-you.......jerk doesn’t fit anymore. You evil......thing!”

“Rich, why do you oppose us so? What we are trying to do is a noble undertaking. When the entire world is under our control, there will be peace and order. There won’t be fighting, war, unrest. That is our goal.”

“Peace and order, since you’re going to destroy all who oppose you and create a total dictatorship!”

“Fine. I see that you will not be deterred from disagreeing with us. Muh huh huh huh....yes, that means only one option is left. I shall face you in battle once more.”

“Bring it on!”

“Such a brave trainer. It really is a shame you’re going to die very soon, as soon as I crush you.”

“That’s what you think!”

“Muh huh huh huh............”

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Pkmn Trainer Rich ---vs.--- Shadow Admiral Lawrence
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“This shall be the beginning of the Enigma Shadow regime, my defeat of the rebels.........Kabutops and Banette, go!”

"Go, Ludicolo and Tyranitar!"

"He's using a Shadow Kabutops........."

"Ah, my little Tower Maiden, that bit of knowledge will not help your boyfriend. Shadow Down."

Kabutops cast clouds of darkness over Rich's team to weaken their ability to weather Lawrence's attacks. While this happened, Rich stood in awe of Lawrence's calm, cool battling style.

"Banette, follow up with Will-O-Wisp."

Lawrence's Banette sent a sinister blue flame towards Tyranitar. Despite its large bulk, Rich's Pokémon managed to dodge it.

"Ludicolo, use Giga Drain!"

Ludicolo jumped onto Kabutops and began draining its energy voraciously, intentionally leaving Kabutops heavily injured.

"That'll do, Ludicolo. Snag Ball, go!!"

Will Rich snag Lawrence's Shadow Kabutops? Can he win the fight against the Shadow Admiral? Find out how this will all end up in the third and final part of Chapter Seven!

Scizor King

Scizor owns you.
Sweet. I KNEW LAWRANCE WAS PSYCHO! Now, let us watch Rich pound Lawrance/Regidon into the dust with Lugia.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Scizor King said:
Sweet. I KNEW LAWRANCE WAS PSYCHO! Now, let us watch Rich pound Lawrance/Regidon into the dust with Lugia.

Yeah, since I made his character a very close imitation to Palpatine from Star Wars, it should've been pretty obvious. Not to mention his name and the fact he mentioned he was a collector back in Chapter Two were both taken from "The Power of One," where he was the main villain.

The rest of Seven will be up very soon.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Back to the action........
--------------------------------------------------------

Lawrence stood still, as calm as ever even though his Shadow Kabutops had just been taken up by a Snag Ball. He seemed confident of it failing......which it did, releasing Kabutops after only one tilt.

"Muh huh! See, while you were busy ruining our Admins, Chief Noland and I were improving the Shadow Pokémon ever more. Kabutops, now show him the fruit of our labor. Shadow Slice."

The shadow aura emenated from the scythes on Kabutops's arms, then it rushed forth and powerfully slashed Tyranitar.

"Ah, the sheer beauty of a move crafted in pure darkness.....it moves me. Banette, try a Thunderbolt."

Tyranitar was a tough Pokémon, but the electric shock Banette hit it with pushed it over the edge. It fainted.

"Muh huh huh! I guess I have outdone you in even the area of elegance."

"Do you hear yourself? You're a raving lunatic! But I guess I should expect no different from someone as high in Enigma Shadow's ranks as you. Return, Tyranitar! Go, Lugia!"

Lawrence stared up at Rich's black Lugia. It stared back at him, knowing that the mysterious human before it was an enemy.

"Oh, a Lugia. I envy you for your luck. Once I defeat you, I will take your Pokémon and thus I will complete my collection. That will include the prize I have coveted for years......."

"Enough banter already! Ludicolo, Rain Dance!"

Ludicolo jumped and spun in a very jolly way. This made clouds appear, and rain began to fall from them.

"Lugia, Hydro Pump!"

Lugia's eyes focused down on the Banette. Even though it was a Ghost type, Banette became locked in place with fear----and thus when Lugia blasted a jet of water at it, took the full impact and fainted.

"Muh huh.....well done. Return, Banette. Go, Dewgong. Kabutops, Shadow Break."

Kabutops tensed up as waves of shadow energy absorbed into its body, then it gave off the shadow aura and crashed full speed into Lugia.

"I hope it works this time.....Snag Ball, go!"

Rich threw a second Snag Ball at Kabutops. As before it sucked in the Shadow Pokémon and tilted once.....but did not break.

It tilted twice......

....and finally three times, Snagging Kabutops.

"So you do have some fight left in you. It's just like a simple game of chess to me......and in all gentlemen's games, some sacrifice must be made to ensure victory in the end. Go, Marowak. And now Dewgong, show him the true range of our powers..........Sheer Cold."

A solid sheet of ice formed in front of Dewgong's mouth, then fired forth at Ludicolo---taking its victim down instantly.

"You really are a raving lunatic. Ludicolo, return! Go, Salamence! Lugia, use Ancientpower!"

Lugia surrounded itself with rocks, then shoved its massive body forward, critically damaging Dewgong.

"Finish it off, Salamence! Brick Break!"

Salamence flew out from behind Lugia, catching Dewgong off guard. The dragon smashed into Dewgong with its claws, defeating the Water and Ice type.

"This is troubling........Dewgong, return. Go, Omastar."

"Rich, it's a Shadow Pokémon!"

"Go ahead, Marowak. Use Rock Slide."

Marowak struck the ground with the bone it always held multiple times, kicking up rocks at Rich's team. The attack missed Salamence by a hair but hit Lugia dead on.

"Lugia, Hydro Pump again!!!"

Lugia, though noticeably weakened, regained its composure and fired off a pressurized water jet at Marowak. Against Marowak's Ground type this was super-effective, and it took Marowak down.

"This.......this is nonsense....Marowak, return. Go, Slaking."

"Salamence, Dragon Claw!"

Salamence flipped over and around as it was flying to get behind Omastar, then breathed fire on its claws and powerfully slashed the Shadow Pokémon.

"Omastar, Shadow Rave."

Omastar used its power to send out spikes of shadow energy. Against Salamence these did little, but Lugia---weakened from the earlier blows it took---fainted.

"Oh, Lugia, I am sorry to have done that to you. I hope that you will forgive me when I add you to my collection."

"Stop it! You're not getting my Pokémon because I'm taking you down! Return, Lugia! Go, Milotic!"

"Slaking, it is time. Unleash your true power-----HYPER BEAM!!"

Slaking yawned as energy began to gather at its mouth, then it thrashed forward and blasted a massive energy beam right at Milotic. It had not been out for very long and already, Milotic had fainted.

"M-Milotic!!"

"Muh huh huh. Now you see what can happen when I lose my temper."

"It's not over yet. Return, Milotic! Go, Alakazam! Use Psychic!"

Alakazam's eyes glowed blue, and a similar color appeared around Omastar. The psychic power lifted the Shadow Pokémon, then crashed it to the floor.

"Snag Ball, go!"

This Snag Ball had a much easier time of it. Omastar was critically injured, and thus, did not put up a fight. It was Snagged quickly and easily.

"Muh huh. So you've Snagged my Shadow Pokémon. It isn't over just yet."

Slaking yawned, resting from the Hyper Beam attack.

"Alakazam, Psychic again!"

Alakazam again used its psychic power, this time to lift Slaking. It struggled due to the Normal type's massive bulk, but did manage to deliver a strong blow.

"Salamence! Brick Break!"

Salamence flew straight up, then plummeted at high speed, front claws out forward, right into Slaking. Slaking roared.....then fainted.

"Muh huuuuuuuuuuuuurrghhh.........I...I....lost....."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“........fine, so even I have lost. Your power is something quite remarkable......yes, with that power, you could possibly even defeat our Queen Shadow.”

“That’s my goal.”

“Have you ever thought of doing something......constructive......with your talents?”

“What do you mean?”

“Join us. You could quite feasibly overthrow our queen and then, you’d have complete control over the entire organization and everything it does.”

“That’s all?! I’ve already made it perfectly clear, I’m not joining! Period!”

“I can’t say I understand why you are refusing the chance to become powerful beyond your wildest dreams, but...I must say, you have earned my respect through what you’ve done. I will give you control of this airship, you may use it to try and find our other positions. May we meet again!”

Lawrence stepped into an escape capsule, which transformed into a small flying machine, and flew away.

“Whew.....” Rich took a deep breath. “Those three battles were possibly the three hardest I’ve ever fought—and it’s nowhere near over yet.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inside the Shadow Research Insititute, Noland stood in his office. A com-link hologram of Parfrida stood nearby, as did two of Noland’s scientists.

“Noland, the deadline has now passed. What is your report?”

“Queen Shadow, I was in the process of getting it just now. Ringo, what do you have?”

One of the scientists stepped forward.

“Chief Noland, the last bits of development on XD-02 are finished. Final adjustments were completed this morning.”

“Excellent. Lennon, how about you?”

“Brain-wave anaylisis processes were successfully conducted. Output is above what we anticipated. We also conducted magnitude tests of the brain waves, and they appear to be 75% stronger than any other Shadow Pokémon we’ve produced.”

“Does that mean..........”

“Yes, Queen Shadow. XD-02 is strong enough to crush a battleship with little effort. Time will tell if we get to use it on Rich or not, but it is all we needed and more.”

“I am greatly pleased with all of you. Noland, once Rich is defeated and in our jails, you shall be recieveing a large salary bonus. As in, enough money to fill every square inch of your lab.”

“Wow, thank you!”

Suddenly, Lawrence stumbled into the room, gasping for air.

“Ahhhhhhh!!! My.......my queen.......”

“Lawrence?!! What happened?”

“A-Airship....battle.....Nascour......lost.......defeated.....”

“Huh? Speak clearly!”

“Queen Shadow,” Noland volunteered, “I believe that he’s saying Rich got aboard the airship and defeated Nascour.....then Lawrence himself took a fall too!”

“What? Is this true!!?”

“Y-yes.....”

“This is unacceptable!!!” Parfrida thundered. “We had planned for you to defeat him, not lose!!! Now everything we have prepared is useless!!”

“I am sorry, my queen......he pulled a trick we didn’t foresee. He caught the Lugia from Diamond Rock.”

“I know...........do we have a projection of where he’ll go next?”

“My best guess is that he’ll come here---the Shadow Research Institute!”

“Gah! We must stop him there, nothing less! Noland, what is the status of regular Shadow Pokémon production?”

“All quotas have been filled, my queen.”

“Order production halted at once, that way he’ll have nothing to screw up even if he goes there! Also, keep normal staff levels maintained. I want him taken down, Noland.”

“Your trust will not be misplaced, Queen Shadow.”

“I hope, for your sake, you’re right. Get XD-02 out of the lab and into Halfmoon Cove right away. We can’t have Rich ruin our ultimate weapon before it’s completely ready.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, after Steven and Ashley had already unpacked their sleeping bags and were asleep, Rich was pouring over navigation maps while Anabel looked out of a telescope.

“I’ve figured it out,” Rich said aloud to no one in particular. “If we continue on this course we’re on now, we’ll reach New Island and their Shadow Research Institute quite soon.”

“Hey, Rich....” Anabel hurriedly said, “look at this!”

She motioned for Rich to look through the telescope, which he did.

“Ah, very nice night for star-gazing. See that up there? It’s the Millenium Comet........wait.”

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Rich......?”

“The Millenium Comet just came over about seven years ago, so it isn’t due again for another nine hundred and ninety three years!! They say that if the comet’s normal orbit is somehow disrupted, global natural disaster will result. Perhaps that’s the reason behind all the extreme weather?”

“I wouldn’t doubt it. It’s really the only explanation we have so far.”

Out of nowhere, Rich’s P*DA began to ring for an incoming call. After jumping in surprise, Rich answered it.

“Hello???”

“Rich, it’s Ron!!! Stay classy!!”

“Ron?! Ron Burgundy?”

“Yes!! Wh-what’s going on down here?”

“I don’t know. Where are you?”

“I was walking with my news team and out of nowhere, it started to hail! Not just hail, but huge stones of it! Not even Brick’s Castform can tell what’s happening! We’re hiding under an overturned boat’s hull right-------sweet Slowpoke Tails!! That last one had to be the size of a basketball!!!”

“Ron, listen to me. How far are you from the studio?”

“Uh.....uh....about a block and a half.”

“Have Baxter use Overheat to protect you from the hail, and run like a Dodrio to the station. Do not stop. Just run and get inside the station, then go into the deepest basement you can and stay there.”

“Thank you. I really owe you when this is all over, man. Stay classy!”

Ron hung up, so Rich closed the P*DA. Before a word could be spoken, a loud crash shook the airship.

“Wha!?!!” Steven screamed, waking up. “What was that?”

“I don’t know!” Rich ran to the controls, and looked over the observation screens. “It looks like.....we’re in a hailstorm, too! We’re also pretty close to New Island, so we could............” Another hailstone hit the airship, then a pause, then a barrage began to hit. “Whoa! Whoa!!!! Get control!!!”

“Left rear quandrant engine failure reported,” a robotic PA voice droned. “Failure caused by impact of large object.”

“Oh no.....the storm...it’s knocking out our engines!!” Ashley cried.

“Right front quadrant engine failure reported. Engaging emergency power.”

“I hate to say this, but.....we’re gonna die!!” Rich shouted. “I have to stay put here and control what we’ve got left, so you three get back into the central chamber where I fought Lawrence’s bodyguard and huddle down!!”

Ashley and Steven ran out right away, but Anabel stayed.

“N-n-no......I won’t abandon you now after all we’ve been through!”

“Left front quadrant engine failure reported. Prepare for possible emergency crash landing.”

“Anabel.......s-save yourself......please.......”

“Rich.......if this is it, I’m glad.......I’m glad we see each other one last time.....”

“Complete enigne system failure detected. Prepare for imminent crash landing!”

“Anabel, get out! Save yourself!” Rich took off the Snag Machine and handed it to Anabel. “I want you to continue what I started! Don’t.....just promise me, don’t let them get away with it....”

“Rich.........” Anabel stared, then went quiet.

“Landing spot identified as New Island. Impact predicted as rough to severe, evacuate cockpit area immediately.”

“Anabel, please.....just don’t forget me..........”

“I won’t! Count on me!”

Anabel ran out of the cockpit. Once the door had closed, Rich fell to his knees.

“You finally finished the job, Enigma Shadow! You tried to do it four years ago, and now you’ve gotten everyone in my family except Wallace! Are you happy?!? ARE YOU!?!??!?”

“Crash landing imminent. Impact confirmed to be in the range of somewhat to extremely rough.”

Rich stood and tried to run out of the cockpit, but before he got far.......the airship smashed into New Island’s rocky shore.

With all five islands secured for the time being, Rich and friends challenged Enigma Shadow’s brass in their menacing airship. His first opponent, Nascour, revealed the dark secret of Rich’s past---that he was an ex-member of Cipher in Orre, therefore an indirect participant in Enigma Shadow’s earliest operations. After crushing Nascour, “Lord Regidon” was revealed as none other than Chancellor Lawrence, who battled Rich following a match with one of the bodyguards. In a brutal, bitterly fought match, Rich managed to defeat the false Chancellor and wrestle control of the airship from the organization. This victory may have led to the end of Rich, as a freak hailstorm caused the craft to crash into the shore of New Island. What will happen?

END of CHAPTER SEVEN

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Is this the end of Rich? I hope not. Anyways, chapter seven is very good. Did not expect that Rich used to be a Cipher. When Lord Regidon is revealed as Lawrence, I was thinking maybe that could be the same Lawrence from the second Pokemon movie. (Of course you said it in an eariler post). I wonder when chapter 8 will come? Also, just want to know, I was having trouble with this quote:
Later that night, after Steven and Ashley had already unpacked their sleeping bags and were asleep, Rich was pouring over navigation maps while Anabel looked out of a telescope.

Does that mean the guys were outside or in the airship? Sorry for asking that question.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Bay said:
Does that mean the guys were outside or in the airship? Sorry for asking that question.

If you mean Steven and Ashley, they were in the cockpit with Rich and Anabel when the hailstorm began, then they fled back into the central chamber.

-Yoshi-

Yoshi!!!
Very good Chapter Butler, a great fight, a great Regidon guess I made (I knew it, it was pretty obvious) and the end of the chapter was very well developed. I thought about the jaw droping real identity of Parfrida last night, and I think I know ho she really is but i'm not sure.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
-Yoshi- said:
Very good Chapter Butler, a great fight, a great Regidon guess I made (I knew it, it was pretty obvious) and the end of the chapter was very well developed. I thought about the jaw droping real identity of Parfrida last night, and I think I know ho she really is but i'm not sure.

PM me with your guess. I am not spoiling it yet, but I'd like to know what you think. To see if someone's come up with a new idea, if you will.

Glad you liked Seven. Eight's gonna be a big one so I don't know when it'll be up, but I will say......a certain someones identity will finally be revealed........ heheheh.

SpaceFlare

insert custom title
Hehe, time to return the favors.

I like the story so far. I like the latest Chapter, Chap 7, the best so far.

Keep it up! I'll be waiting to read the next Chapter.

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
Well, Butler, here's a return favor for you.

...Wow. That's about all I can say. This is a truly wonderful fic. Butler, I compliment you. There's really nothing I have to say about this in a negative sense, it's just too good. Although one of the few things I will comment about is the fact that the battle scenes practically start playing a Pokemon Colosseum/XD battle in my head for imagery. It's gotten better since the first chapter (yes, I sat down and read all seven after you reviewed my fic), but maybe a little more description? Although I really like the various references you have made to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Queen Shadow ~ Shadow Queen, the entire Arena thing at the beginning of the story, not to mention the champion's belt... [SPOIL]I'm almost starting to suspect that Queen Shadow will be a demon, just like her counterpart in the game :p[/SPOIL]). Great work though, keep it up.

Until we meet again...
;150;

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
...Wow. That's about all I can say. This is a truly wonderful fic.

Thank you very much! :) (Gives Butler Empire banquet cake to TPM)

Although one of the few things I will comment about is the fact that the battle scenes practically start playing a Pokemon Colosseum/XD battle in my head for imagery.

Really, that was what I intended for. I have a difficult time working out the battles in an anime style, so I modeled them on Colosseum/XD battles instead.

Although I really like the various references you have made to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Great game. Deserves all the mention it can get.

Queen Shadow ~ Shadow Queen

I didn't intend for that at first, but it is a nice little coincidence now that I see it.

the entire Arena thing at the beginning of the story, not to mention the champion's belt

Tucker's Engrish was taken right from PM:TTYD too, but I'm sure you saw that.

[SPOIL]I'm almost starting to suspect that Queen Shadow will be a demon, just like her counterpart in the game :p[/SPOIL]

I can confirm she will have interesting powers........

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
It won't all be up for a while, but I may as well begin. Here we go with chapter eight of the saga..........................
---------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER EIGHT: Shutting the Shadows Down

“Queen Shadow?”

“Yes, what do you want, Noland?”

“Things worked out just right. We will soon be bringing you THE catch.”

“Heheheh......perfect......PERFECT......”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inside the wreckage of the airship, a fallen iron beam had smashed in and blocked the door from the central chamber to the cockpit. Glass was shattered all around, and there was a ringing. Nothing more, just a persistent ringing..........

“Ugh.....” Anabel sat up slowly, then Steven and Ashley did the same, “Where are we? What’s that ringing?”

“It...sounds like.....Rich’s P*DA!” Steven realized.

“You’re right!” Anabel grabbed the Snag Machine from the floor and opened the P*DA. “Hello?”

“Anabel?!?!”

“Papa, is that you?”

“Yes!” Ein said with panic in his voice. “You’re alright?”

“Yeah, but I’ve no clue where we are. What’s going on?”

“Prof. Becker from Diamond Rock called me. He noticed from your Satellite Trackers that you had crash-landed on an island due north from there, and Rich’s was missing. He was really worried about all of you, and now I am too....”

“An island, due north.........this must be New Island.....”

“The enemy’s Shadow Research Institute is there, so be extremely careful. Say, what did happen to Rich?”

“He’s.......” Anabel choked up. “He didn’t get out of the danger area before the crash.........he’s gone...”

“Oh no........I’m very saddened to hear that.....just try to keep your head up for now and get off of that island, please, Anabel......”

“I’ll be fine, Papa.”

“Good luck, then.”

Ein hung up.

“Hey, look......” Ashley pointed out. “There’s their lab.....and it’s pouring rain. We won’t be safe here for very long.”

“That means we have to get going and go inside the Shadow Research Institute. Anabel, do something for me and Ashley....for Rich.....put the Snag Machine on, and finish his mission.”

“I.....I will.”

Anabel put on the Snag Machine.

“Come on, Steven....Ashley.......I, for one, will not allow them to get away. Not after what they’ve done now!”

Steven and Ashley nodded, then all three ran out of the wrecked airship into the rain. Steven had to let his Metagross out briefly to break through the blocked passage. They ran down the rocky coast of the island until they reached the lab’s main entrance.

“No! It’s locked!” Anabel shouted. “These doors are locked!”

“There’s always another way in,” Steven observed. “Look.”

He pointed towards a large, old pipe sticking out of the lab’s foundation nearby.

“We aren’t sewer rats.....” Ashley complained. “But we have to do it.”

All agreed, then they walked to the pipe and climbed down into it..........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a well-lit chamber at the bottom of the pipe, a shadowy man briefed a pair of Shadow Peons.

“You listen up. The three that are left will be inside the Institute soon, and we can’t allow them to ruin the plans of Chief Noland. Do you understand?”

‘But sir,” one of the Peons complained, “all of them are way too tough for us to handle.”

“If you are incapable of anything else, hold them up until reinforcements arrive.”

Anabel, Steven, and Ashley appeared behind the man’s back.

“Who are you?!”

“Ahaha,” the man laughed without turning. “I see my friends have arrived, just as I predicted.”

After that, he turned around. It was Rich, except missing the artist’s cap he always wore.

“Rich?!?!?!” all three screamed in shock.

“Ahahaha, yes, it is I! I bet you’re wondering why I’m down here with these two grunts, eh? It’s because this whole time, I’ve been a double agent! I really did blow up those ships on Port Emerald and everything!”

“Why, Rich.....why........”

“Anabel, you will be turned to our side as well. All three of you will be.”

“You aren’t my Rich, the one I know!”

“Ahaha. Naive girl, you are in denial. I am truthfully, in truth, truly the one and only true Rich. I have been working on this project for years, and it is your destiny to join me.”

“No! You can’t be.....”

“I told you, I’m real. If you won’t be turned, you will suffer. Go, Milotic!”

Rich threw a Poké Ball and sent out Milotic. It stared at Anabel.

“Come on, Milotic, it’s me....Anabel! You know who I am!”

“Hohoho. So foolish, so foolish. Milotic, show her what we do to dissenters! Shadow Flood!”

Milotic, truly a Shadow, attacked Anabel with a blast of dark water. Steven and Ashley caught her from falling.

“Fu......enough of this. Milotic, return. Boys, it’s your turn now! I shall await you with the traitors in my office!”

Rich recalled his Shadow Milotic, and fled the room. The two Peons stepped forward to challenge Anabel, who stood up and called Ashley to her side.

“I don’t care anymore. Ashley and I will teach you a lesson!”

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Tower Maiden Anabel and Super Trainer Ashley
---vs.----
Shadow Peon Kapp and Shadow Peon Punte
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Exeggutor, go!” “We need to win this......Raikou!”

Ashley sent out Exeggutor while Anabel used Raikou, a rare and legendary Pokémon.

“Heheheh. I wish our boss still had the Snag Machine, that Raikou would look awful nice in Queen Shadow’s collection. Nidorino, go!” “And I’ll go with.....Nidorina!”

Kapp and Punte sent out Nidorino and Nidorina, two Poison types.

“Raikou, Rain Dance!”

Anabel’s Raikou roared loudly, then rain began to fall.

“Exeggutor, Psychic!”

Ashley’s Exeggutor blasted Nidorina with psychic energy, knocking it out in one hit.

“Somehow I think Boss over-estimated us.......Nidorina, return! Go, Nidoqueen!”

Punte recalled Nidorina and sent out its evolution, Nidoqueen. As soon as it appeared, the P*DA began to signal.

“Hm? Oh, I see......it’s saying that Nidoqueen is a Shadow.”

“Watch and learn. Nidorino, Sludge Bomb!”

Nidorino splashed sludge all over Exeggutor, doing damage and also poisoning it.

“This isn’t going to work. Raikou, come back! Go, Snorlax!”

Anabel voluntarily withdrew Raikou and sent out Snorlax.

“Exeggutor, use Psychic again!”

Exeggutor complied and used Psychic to KO Nidorino.

“You might be right about Boss, Punte. Return, Nidorino! Go, Nidoking!”

Kapp replaced his Nidorino with Nidoking, which the P*DA signalled as another Shadow.

“Nidoqueen, Shadow Rush!”

Nidoqueen damaged Exeggutor by tackling it.

“Snorlax, Body Slam!”

Snorlax jumped and crushed itself into Nidoking, doing heavy damage.

“Exeggutor, Stun Spore!”

Exeggutor shook spores about. When they hit Nidoking, they clung and made it immobile.

“Nidoqueen, another Shadow Rush!”

Nidoqueen’s attack went exactly as it did the first time, except Snorlax was the target this time.

“Nidoking, try a Shadow Blitz!”

Nidoking tried to attack, but the spores clinging to its body made it unable to do so.

“Is this how it’s done? I throw the Snag Ball now? Alright. Snag Ball, go!”

Anabel threw a Snag Ball at Nidoking, quickly capturing it.

“That’s nice......”

“No! The boss is gonna chew me out good for this!”

“Cool it, Kapp!”

“Exeggutor, Stun Spore the Nidoqueen now!”

Exeggutor launched the spores at Nidoqueen, and succeeded in restraining it.

“Argh! Nidoqueen, Shadow End!”

Nidoqueen brutally smashed into Exeggutor, knocking it out and doing heavy backlash damage to itself.

“Exeggutor, come back!”

“Ashley, wait. Don’t even bother sending out anything. Even if the Snag Ball fails this time, I can handle this myself.”

“Go ahead, Anabel.”

“Snag Ball, go!”

Anabel threw a second Snag Ball, this time at Nidoqueen. Like before, it snatched away the Shadow Pokémon with little effort.

“That was rather simple.....”

“Yaaahh!!! Boss is going to take out both of us now!”

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“What do we do now?”

“What else can we do, Punte?! Run away!!!”

The two Peons dashed past the three heroes and climbed up the pipe to escape.

“Well, that was quite easy. Where do we head to now?”

“I bet we should follow where Rich went and see what we find.”

“I—I guess. Come on, Ashley, Steven, let’s get moving.

The group walked to the door that Rich had escaped through and opened it. Behind it was a large chamber with metal floors and walls, mostly empty.

“Is this place empty?” Ashley wondered.

“Ugh....no....” Steven pointed out in shock. “LOOK!!!!”

A person lie face-down on the floor. On closer inspection, it was another Rich. This one had the cap, and his clothes appeared burnt and torn.

“Is....is this one a fake or real?” Ashley asked.

“I don’t know. Let me look.....”

Anabel walked over to the Rich and looked him over. After a moment, she found a CD case in his pocket and held it up.

“It’s.....it’s him. How many people do you know that carry around the soundtrack of “ABBA Saves Thanksgiving” with them when they travel?”

“Not many,” Steven agreed. “But that would mean...he really is......”

“Noooooooooooo!!!!!” Anabel screamed. “RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCHHH!!!!!!”

Anabel put her face down on his head and began crying. Steven and Ashley looked at each other in sadness, then Ashley suddenly got an idea.

“Hey, Anabel....I know it’s crazy, but that CD just might be helpful here......”

“Sniff.....you know, you may be right. Give me a CD player.” Steven handed Anabel his CD player. “I hope this works.....please, work........”

She put the CD in the player and tapped some buttons. A song began to play......

You seem so far away though you are standing near
You made me feel alive, but something died I fear
I really tried to make it out
I wish I understood
What happened to our love, it used to be so good

So when you're near me, darling can't you hear me, SOS?
The love you gave me, nothing else can save me, SOS
When you're gone
How can I even try to go on?
When you're gone
Though I try how can I carry on?

A tear dropped from Anabel’s eye when she heard the words, but then.........

“Grruggh......ugh.....my aching.......Anabel?!?!?”

Rich rolled over and sat up, injured but alive!

“Rich!!!! You’re alive!!!!”

The two embraced, then Steven and Ashley rushed over as well.

“Well, now I’ve seen it all,” Steven commented. “Welcome back.”

“I second that,” Ashley added. “But wait---where are your Pokémon? Did those thugs steal them?”

“Heheheh......you should know me better. I’ve always got a trick up my sleeve.”

Rich motioned for Anabel to lean over, which she did. He then opened a secret compartment on the Snag Machine, reached in, and took out six Poké Balls. When he threw them, his Milotic, Ludicolo, Alakazam, Salamence, Tyranitar, and Lugia appeared.

“Like that? I slipped ‘em in before I gave the machine to Anabel.”

An elevator a few feet away came down, and the first Rich stepped out.

“Anabel, how can you distrust me so? I told you, I’m the real one!”

“Nonsense. You’re the fake, he’s real. How else would he know that his Pokémon were there?”

“They made me tell him that I put them there.”

”Shut up! I’m the real one, period! Let’s fight!” Rich #2 recalled his Pokémon and tried to stand, but couldn’t.

“Rich, you’d better stay still for now or you’ll get hurt more.”

“Alright, Anabel.......”

“There’s only one way to determine who’s telling the truth,” Rich #1 said. “Anabel, ask me any question about myself. I guarantee I’ll get it right.”

“Alright. Hmmm.......OK. What was the very first Pokémon you got, and where did you get it?”

“Easy. Sootopolis City, and it was a Torchic. That’s why I had a Blaziken.”

“HA! WRONG!!” Rich #2, the real one, shouted. “It was a Feebas I got in Phenac City! You dirty impostor!”

“Humph. It’s far too late now for that to help you, anyway. You can’t get off this island! Even if you defeat me, Chief Noland will crush your sorry hides! Battle time!”

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Tower Maiden Anabel ---vs.--- Shady Guy Rich

“I gotta say, I like being you, Rich. After I beat her down, I can go run around and everyone will hail me because I’m you! Ahahaha!! Manectric and Fearow, go!”

“You aren’t going to get away with it! Alakazam and Quagsire, go!” Anabel sent out her Alakazam and Quagsire. “Alakazam, Ice Punch!”

Using its psychic power, Alakazam levitated and flew towards Fearow. Its fists became icy orbs. When it delivered the blow, Fearow took a critical hit and fainted.

"Ahahaha, not half bad. Perhaps I underestimated you a bit. Return, Fearow! Go, Snorlax! Manectric, use Swagger!"

Manectric looked right at Quagsire and howled. Quagsire grew angry and glowed red, but then it ate a Lum Berry to heal itself.

"Take advantage of it, Quagsire. Brick Break!"

Quagsire slid forward and punched Shady Rich's Snorlax powerfully.

"I will dazzle you with elegant power! Snorlax----"

"That's my stuff, you miserable fake! Anabel, beat him down!"

Who is the fake Rich? Can Anabel defeat him? At least the real Rich was found battered but alive. Stay tuned!

Scizor King

Scizor owns you.
Things are looking bad! Well, at least Rich is alive. Still one of the best fics I've read. KEEP IT UP!

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
Good grief...
Wil the PM: TTYD parallels never cease? Dooplis was an annoying guy, you know. This guy brings up bad memories.
Back to the review, though. Another great chapter (or at least the start of it), though sudden endings in the middle of a battle are the kind of cliffhangers that keep me occupied for a while (questions like "Will this happen next? Or maybe this... If this happens, will this happen?" You get the point). Anyway, no apparent mistakes, and I've gotten used to the battle scenes in my minds eye (my point about the Colosseum/XD battle scenes was that it can occasionally get tedious. But that's probably me being overly critical). Great work, keep it up!
[SPOIL]Athough, if you continue the Paper Mario ties, this will be the last chapter. ^^[/SPOIL]

Until we meet again...
;150;

pharaohguy530

The one and only.
Finally finished reading all of it. augh....lots of reading.
10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This story is getting so good, I thought it was actually going to become a game. I wish it would....

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Wil the PM: TTYD parallels never cease? Dooplis was an annoying guy, you know. This guy brings up bad memories.

Again, as with Shadow Queen this one's unintended. It was actually based on the Shady Guy who appears at the end of Colosseum with a Shadow Togetic, but it isn't Cipher Peon Fein this time around. It's actually someone who's appeared in earlier chapters----you won't find out for a while who it is, though.

though sudden endings in the middle of a battle are the kind of cliffhangers that keep me occupied for a while (questions like "Will this happen next? Or maybe this... If this happens, will this happen?" You get the point).

I only put those when I don't have the time to finish the whole chapter and there's more left than can be edited into the previous post.

Athough, if you continue the Paper Mario ties, this will be the last chapter. ^^

There's at least 10 chapters. ;)

(my point about the Colosseum/XD battle scenes was that it can occasionally get tedious. But that's probably me being overly critical).

No, I completely understand your point. It's just the way I write---I find I just can't emulate the anime's battles well so I do what I feel more comfortable with. I did try to fit in some anime-style stuff though, like how Salamence kept looping around to attack in the Lawrence battle.