• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you don't like?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
See something about garbodor, attack the 1st gen.

Well they are sitting targets. However, it's not as though I arbitrarily singled out any random "I don't like Trubbish/Garbodor" post. There are plenty of those, and yet, I zeroed in on the one that claimed Pokémon based off of waste products to be a new phenomenon and that, because they are based off of trash (supposedly unlike any other Pokémon), their designs were lazy, which is obviously not the case, since there are other trash-based Pokémon with much more basic designs. It's not as simple as "oh no, he said he didn't like Garbodor!!1! i have to insult gen 1 now to show him how wrong he is!!" It's a matter of clearing up the faulty logic behind a hypocritical statement.

Regardless, I'm actually quite fond of Muk. I think he's cool. But the point is, saying that Garbodor has a "lazy" design is absurd when you actually stop and apply logic to that statement. A quick Google search will define "lazy" as "characterized by lack of effort or activity." Muk is Grimer drawn bigger, which is already a simple blob in the first place. Weezing is Koffing². Garbodor is essentially a complete renovation of Trubbish's garbage motif; whereas Trubbish is a small garbage bag with minimal leakage providing the "arms" and the top knot forming vague "bunny ears," Garbodor is a mountain of trash, with a completely ruptured trash bag that serves as a face, that also incorporates discarded tubes as appendages and various scraps for body features, as well as completely redesigned ears. Garbodor's design involves a radical change from that of its previous stage but retains the garbage motif, whereas Muk and Weezing's designs simply take the design of their precedent forms and either fatten it up or copy/paste it onto itself. Now, which of those two artistic ventures require less "effort or activity"?

Male Combee is indeed useless, but it at least have the cuteness appeal. Wormadam is just... Well, Wormadam.

Hmm... good point.

(As a rather ironic coincidence, I just realized that technically speaking, Wormadam's Trash Cloak essentially makes it, too, a pile of garbage.) xD

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I dislike Riolu after seeing it in the anime recently, and I also dislike Chespin; I'm not here for an Oshawott clone. :x

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I have an issue with the 4th gen evolutions that went with the strategy of "Fat and filled with complexity," namely Rhyperior and Magmortar. This is a big problem for me because what makes the gen 1 designs work is mostly the minimalism combined with strong emphasis on facial expressions, and the evolutions, for the most part, didn't play to these strengths with the evolutions.
Another thing is copy-pasted legendaries, like the regi trio and the genies. This is what I call laziness.

ice33333

Watchog, uggh

StanTheStaraptor

Dragonite. I really liked the direction that lign was going, but then BAM fat yellow dragon.
Staravia. Not the transition stage Starly and Staraptor deserve.
Kami trio. Is it too much to call their designs lazy? Their other forms don't redeem it either.
Bronzor. Ugly design, annoying typing and unpredictable abilities which make them terrible to fight.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
I don't dislike too many Pokemon, but I totally agree with people when they say they dislike the Kami Trio. Ugh. Not only were they copypasted versions of each other in terms of design, they were just a bad concept to begin with.
But my overall least favorite Pokemon is Jynx. Just... why?

Hidden Power

Nothing wrong with that. People criticize Garbodor but love some of the laziest Pokémon ever and most of them happen to be from Generation I (a generation that I love, but see, I am not biased). Garbodor may be ugly (That is the point of a trash-based Pokémon. Think about it), but its design is far from being lazy. The major problem is that people hate Garbodor but they don't have arguments to explain why it is a bad Pokémon. It is like someone said "Garbodor sucks, it has a lazy design" and everyone else repeat the same without even thinking about what "a lazy design" means.

I'm pretty close, but not quite there yet, to disliking Garbodor, and I do have a detailed explanation for that. I don't like the fact that it's designed as an animated trashbag that bursts and empties out its content as it evolves, because it gives me the feeling that the trashbag isn't part of its biological body, and is instead more like clothing. It makes it more awkward to see the eyes, mouth and teeth slapped onto the trashbag portion of the body. The mouth in particular appears to be rather two dimensional; the teeth just looks like paper cutting slapped onto a dark flat circle, and you can't tell if it actually has a oral cavity within that 'mouth'. There's just no depth to it. Trubbish is much better in that the trashbag makes up almost its whole body, and it is kind of cute in a weird way.

Quite honestly I wouldn't mind an animated trash golem or something, with the arms of Garbodor. Kind of like this image I found on Google:

monsterDesignC.jpg

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I don't dislike too many Pokemon, but I totally agree with people when they say they dislike the Kami Trio. Ugh. Not only were they copypasted versions of each other in terms of design, they were just a bad concept to begin with.

What's so bad about using Kami as a design concept? I'm not being critical here; I'm actually curious.

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
jynx she's just to creepy...

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Bibarel is my most disliked Pokemon. like.. ever

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
Swoobat,can't explain why.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Swoobat,can't explain why.

NOO!
ha, swoobats my favorite from gen 5

I can't think of any I dislike, all designs are good I. There own ways even well... trubbish I guess I dislike it.

gliscor&yanmega

I don't dislike any Pokemon, I don't like every one of them, but that's not due to personal dislike of the Pokemon I just have little to no interest in them, and despite that I'd still use them as I would like to use every Pokemon at some point or another. Design wise, there are things that don't appeal to me but I have no actual issue with any of the design, they are all great in their own way. Stat wise, that doesn't determine what I like or dislike, I love Unown but it certainly doesn't have the greatest stats, and as such move pools also don't determine what I like or dislike(Using Unown again as an example). So no, there isn't a Pokemon I don't like really.

What's so bad about using Kami as a design concept? I'm not being critical here; I'm actually curious.

Nothing. There's nothing wrong with using any concept, there's no reason to put limitations onto a franchise when they themselves never do in the first place. And really, I don't see why people overreact to their designs, calling them "copypaste" or whatever, they are fairly different(Colour, tail, mustache, horns(The amount at least, they are designed different in their other forme though), and hair(Or whatever)), the only thing that is the same is their body shape, and there is nothing wrong with that(Things that have a relation with one another having similarities is a crime apparently though).

As much as I hate to admit it, Electrike. I like its design, yes, but this thing became the BANE of my existence in my current Sapphire runthrough. I decided to use one on my team, and was frustrated by its annoying weakness. I cheered when it evolved into Manectric.