• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you like which you feel are very often forgotten.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Crustle is the first one that comes to mind, it's in my Top 10 favorite Pokemon but I rarely see people talk about Crustle especially with all of the other cool Gen 5 Bug Pokemon that are a lot more popular among Pokemon fans so Crustle is often overlooked and forgotten.

If it wasn't for it's popularity in various VGC formats thanks to Trick Room and Eviolite, I would also say that Dusclops was forgotten. Even with how often we can see this Pokemon in VGC tournaments I still never hear people say that Dusclops is one of their favorite Pokemon and it's pretty much never mentioned outside of competitive VGC discussions.

Crustle had its 30 seconds of fame when Generation V was new, with it being everywhere online and considered the biggest new threat due to its high Attack, Sturdy, and Shell Smash. Unfortunately, 30 seconds is an apt description, because in a matter of days, it was deemed outclassed.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
A couple I thought of are volbeat and illumise. I remember scourging Hoenn for an illumise after I first saw one and thought it was adorable - they're a very uncommon sight in Sapphire version. And volbeat started to grow on me with its amusing, albeit annoying battle antics (confuse ray + double team + moonlight = a hair-pullingly long battle). Plus, they're a pretty cute greaser/flapper couple. It seems few others remember them, and the few times I've heard them mentioned, not much good was said of them. I guess that's what happens when you're non-evolving members of one of the most unpopular types out there.

It seems pretty hard to get recognition as a bug-type, as they're usually pretty niche in terms of general appeal factor, not being all that popularly seen as cute or cool, and a lot of them lacking any battle effectiveness to make up for it. Another bug I like which not a lot of people do is wormadam - like volbeat and illumise, if I've heard someone else mention them at all, they usually have nothing good to say about them, and yeah, it doesn't do much in battle, and sure it isn't even the first or best bagworm (though forretress is lucky to have got a key role in a lot of the metagame, I bet no one would ever remember it otherwise) but it's got one of the most melodious voices in gen 4. Also, the steel-type one is floofy. At least it's just a tad more memorable than mothim, who's stuck basically being a throwaway hybrid of wurmple's final forms (which themselves have a hard time keeping out of the shadow of butterfree and venomoth).

Spinda's another one of my gen 3 favourites that doesn't get much recognition, though I think that's to a lesser extent than the fireflies, seeing as at least they've got their spot thing and a pretty memorable route all to themselves in Hoenn.

Also, I'm probably the only person whose favourite dog pokémon is snubbull. It and houndour's line were the only real dog pokémon in the Japanese-based games - most of the other ones were semi-shishi/wolf/fox thingies which seemed to get more love from dog lovers than the true-blue pupper, snubbull. And getting to be fairy type barely did anything for it by gen 6, by which it had plenty of other dog pokémon to overshadow it (including a rival fairy-type dog in slurpuff). I guess ugly-cute is a hard sell for a lot of people. At least with its being featured in Pikachu's Vacation, it's a little less forgotten than granbull

That and also for how Seel looks far too similar to an actual seal with the only difference being Seel has a horn, how Seel and Dewgong’s shinies barely change, and in Dewgong’s case there are much more useful Ice and Water types than it.
I actually think seel's design is underrated - it's a pretty clever, yet natural blend of seal pup (body/fur colour), walrus (tusks), puppy (snout/tongue) and narwhal (horn). I think people mainly knee-jerk dismiss it as unimaginative due to its having pretty much THE most unoriginal [English] name of any pokémon. Well, that and its never getting anything new as dewgong, besides having most of its more interesting features reduced and leaving it looking even more like just a straight seal.

You're right, and it's even weirder when you consider that Iris owned a Doryuzu (Excadrill) in the anime, yet that doesn't seem to have made the species popular with the fandom.
Excadrill seemed pretty memorable in the competitive scene, at least, being strong enough to be one of the few non-legendaries to be considered uber.

I would argue the Gen 2 starters - particularly the final forms - don't get near as much love or recognition despite being my favorite starter trio. My guess is because a lot of the other gens have gone out of their way to give their starters secondary typing or other forms of competitive viability.
Can't argue with that - and not only do none of them have distinguishing secondary types, they always get passed up in terms of getting new forms. Though I guess the gen 3 starters may have been purely lucky that it happened to be gen 3's turn for remakes by the time megas were being come up with.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
A couple I thought of are volbeat and illumise. I remember scourging Hoenn for an illumise after I first saw one and thought it was adorable - they're a very uncommon sight in Sapphire version. And volbeat started to grow on me with its amusing, albeit annoying battle antics (confuse ray + double team + moonlight = a hair-pullingly long battle). Plus, they're a pretty cute greaser/flapper couple. It seems few others remember them, and the few times I've heard them mentioned, not much good was said of them. I guess that's what happens when you're non-evolving members of one of the most unpopular types out there.

It seems pretty hard to get recognition as a bug-type, as they're usually pretty niche in terms of general appeal factor, not being all that popularly seen as cute or cool, and a lot of them lacking any battle effectiveness to make up for it. Another bug I like which not a lot of people do is wormadam - like volbeat and illumise, if I've heard someone else mention them at all, they usually have nothing good to say about them, and yeah, it doesn't do much in battle, and sure it isn't even the first or best bagworm (though forretress is lucky to have got a key role in a lot of the metagame, I bet no one would ever remember it otherwise) but it's got one of the most melodious voices in gen 4. Also, the steel-type one is floofy. At least it's just a tad more memorable than mothim, who's stuck basically being a throwaway hybrid of wurmple's final forms (which themselves have a hard time keeping out of the shadow of butterfree and venomoth).

If it helps any, there was a Volbeat-Illumise deck in the Trading Card Game that saw a bunch of tournament usage in its day.

For that matter, a lot of Pokémon that get overlooked in the video games get their chance to shine in the TCG. Delcatty has come up in at least three different kinds of tournament-winning decks, for instance.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
If it helps any, there was a Volbeat-Illumise deck in the Trading Card Game that saw a bunch of tournament usage in its day.

For that matter, a lot of Pokémon that get overlooked in the video games get their chance to shine in the TCG. Delcatty has come up in at least three different kinds of tournament-winning decks, for instance.
Yeah, it's interesting how all the different circles of the fanbase have different levels of recognition for certain pokémon. Much like what I was saying about forretress and excadrill, which probably aren't all that memorable to anime fans, but have pretty well-known histories in competitive video game play. Magneton's probably another example of this - if you don't know anything about the video game's meta, it's just another of those poké-triplets gen 1 had a lot of, but if you've heard anyone talk about the likes of Smogon tournaments, its instantly recognizable as gen 3's resident skarmory trap. And if you're into competitive battle, you probably won't think much of the electric rodents unless your name is Wolfglick, but if you've watched a lot of the anime, you can probably remember plenty of times pikachu and its electric cousins have done cute things and have had plenty of exposure.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Unova starters? Not as forgotten as the Gen II starters which I agree are very forgotten. But i do think they are glossed over nowadays due to being outclassed, and just generally not the most popular. Serperior had a moment in the sun after it was released with Contrary, but even that feels many moons ago now. Not sure if anyone else agrees?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Yeah, basically any post-gen-1 starter not named greninja is pretty prone to ending up as yesterday's news by the time a few gens have gone by since its release. With the possible exception of the gen 3 starters (which, again, just might have been the luck of getting a remake the same gen megas were introduced) and maybe infernape.

I've got to wonder if giving new forms to gen 1 starters every other gen isn't somewhat redundant, seeing as they're super iconic already, and pretty clearly don't need the help. The later starters could definitely use the extra recognition much more, but it seems the developers prefer to be fanservice-y and add to the already-popular starter lines.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Solrock and Lunatone oddly gets very little attention in most of the franchise which is strange given there is so much you could do with them and their lore about being from outer space. They are actually useable in Doubles compared to Plusle and Minun who need one of their Abilities to be on their partners in Doubles to be used to their full potential or Illumise and Volbeat which are extremely disappointing as a team.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
I feel that each generation, at least for more recent generations, has introduced 'gimmicky' pokemon that have 15 mins of fame but then fade into memory forevermore. Examples:

Gogoat- In XY you could ride it. Now forgotten

Chatot- In DPPT it was a fairly modern twist that you could record a 'custom' cry via the microphone

Each of these examples may, of course, be compounded by their lack of availability in gen 8.

Luthor

Hypno is often forgotten as pokemon. Its one of my favourites but I am willing to acknowledge if it wasn't one of my personal favourites (because it was one of my favourite designs when I played blue) I might also forget it.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Hypno is often forgotten as pokemon. Its one of my favourites but I am willing to acknowledge if it wasn't one of my personal favourites (because it was one of my favourite designs when I played blue) I might also forget it.
The creepypasta community and memes crown haven't forgotten it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Blitzle and Zebstrika. I love faster Electric types, but unfortunately this line hasn't reappeared in a regional dex since its introduction.

I also love Joltik/Galvantula, but that line recently reappeared in SwSh, so that's a little less forgotten.

Last edited:

WalesNote

Wigglytuff perhaps? Big lovely pink thing.
Unown, cause it looks funky. Only wish it could evolve or learn something else, and maybe have better stats.
Quagsire. Looks cool, but isn't very useful. And Wooper, cause it smiles.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venonat and Venomoth especially in the anime after Gen II. They have never been in a Pokédex since Johto which I don’t count as it being in two Dexes because literally every Pokémon from Gen I is in the Gen II Dex.

It's such an unsightly evolutionary line, so I don't blame Game Freak or fans in general for snubbing them. I personally liked Kenji's (Tracey's) Kongpang (Venonat) in the anime, but that's probably because it was semi-useful with its sonar.