• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you like which you feel are very often forgotten.

Missingno.Fan

I'd say finneon and lumineon. Not a particularly interesting moveset, stats are quite bad. It has generic abilities for a water type. In its own generation, there are much more visually interesting and popular (buizel, piplup) or competitively useful (gastrodon, Manaphy) water types. There are already so many fish pokemon. This one just doesn't stand out for any reason.

According to the pokedex, Lumineon's gimmick is that it swims near the sea floor and flashes bright lights. The pokedex even references that Lanturn already does that. But chinchou are lanturn (not exactly being a-listers themselves) are more well-known in the fandom. Since Chinchou is a solid choice for little cup, and it has an unusual typing.

The only one Lumineon to show up significantly in the anime was Zoe's and that one didn't exactly have a lot of personality. It barely exists in the manga Even Sinnoh's own water type gym leader doesn't use it. In fact there isn't a single one in the Pastoria Gym.
I agree with this. On my first play through of Pearl Finneon and Lumineon were the only two Pokémon I didn’t see by the time I beat the Elite Four. I had to come to this site to see who I was missing.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I saw Sawsbuck and I agree so much !! One of my favorites who deserves so much love truly..
Mothim, Sunflora, and Sewaddle all also come to mind !!

I do like Sawsbuck and Leavanny's designs. I actually used a Sawsbuck on my original Black team, and it was quite a strong team member. It is sad that both these Pokemon and their lines haven't featured in any regional Dex since Unova, and haven't been obtainable in a way natively since OR/AS, where both were post-Groudon/Kyogre DexNav encounters.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

MrJechgo

You could argue that Lumineon is just "another fish-like Water-type Pokémon"... despite being the only of its kind in Gen 4 :p
For reference, I think Gen 6 didn't receive such Pokémon.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
You could argue that Lumineon is just "another fish-like Water-type Pokémon"... despite being the only of its kind in Gen 4 :p
For reference, I think Gen 6 didn't receive such Pokémon.
I mean, you could arguably count skrelp as one (sea dragons are pretty much fish), but I see what you mean.

I think it doesn't help that even if it's the only fish-like water type introduced in gen 4, it isn't the only one in Sinnoh, having to share water with goldeen, magikarp, remoraid and barboach. Magikarp even had its own memorable moment in the gen 4 games when they're shown in the drained Lake Valor, while finneon and lumineon don't even get to be in the water-type gym. Though then again, being one of two water-type fish in the Black and White games didn't help basculin out much.

I guess fish pokémon have a hard time standing out, as they're pretty much inevitably the most common type in the game which also happens to be a starter type, so they're really easily overshadowed. Not to mention that they're some of the hardest pokémon to work into the anime, as they'll need a body of water to swim in, while just about any other pokémon can be plopped in anywhere and do fine (the first time a fish pokémon was ever shown in the anime was basically a joke about this), so unless you need a mount to ride between a set of islands (which is a role that can just as easily go to non-fish like lapras), they're pretty much relegated to being background pokémon for underwater scenes (and that's if the anime doesn't go for actual fish instead, which it did a few times in gen 1).

Though the fact that even the non-water-type electric fish of gen 5 aren't all that used in battle even while foregoing the water type altogether (and one of them having a unique type combo), I have to wonder if part of the problem is the developers being stingy with the stats when they design fish pokémon. Maybe it's just hard to imagine a fish being all that threatening, so the people who design them don't make them all that effective in battle?

MrJechgo

I mean, you could arguably count skrelp as one (sea dragons are pretty much fish), but I see what you mean.
Oh, like a dragonfish :)
Though the fact that even the non-water-type electric fish of gen 5 aren't all that used in battle even while foregoing the water type altogether (and one of them having a unique type combo), I have to wonder if part of the problem is the developers being stingy with the stats when they design fish pokémon. Maybe it's just hard to imagine a fish being all that threatening, so the people who design them don't make them all that effective in battle?
Barraskewda could have been a Water/Steel Pokémon, due to being modeled after a torpedo. That alone would have made it stand out. Then again, we didn't get a barracuda before it. On the top of my head... we haven't gotten a salmon, swordfish, sturgeon, cod, gar, clownfish or hammerhead shark... when it comes to common/well-known/popular fish species. When it comes to aquatic mammals, narwhals, dolphins, orcas and belugas have yet to be added (kinda weird that cetaceans weren't featured beyond Wailord).

Chatot comes to mind when it comes to forgotten Pokémon. It used to be somewhat interesting due to its signature move Chatter (using the handheld's mic to record words), but now... it kinda falls into the "generic Normal/Flying Pokémon" bin. I could see it getting a Grass/Flying evolution based on a cockatoo, with an ability that changes Normal-type moves into Grass-type.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
When it comes to aquatic mammals, narwhals, dolphins, orcas and belugas have yet to be added (kinda weird that cetaceans weren't featured beyond Wailord).
Has kyogre slipped your mind? Yeah, I seem to recall it being hypothesized that cetaceans are just about never pokéfied because of the controversy surrounding Japan and cetaceans (the Japanese whaling industry's been criticized quite a bit, and is a topic of contention between Japan and other countries). Not too sure if that claim holds water, but it's nonetheless very fishy there hasn't been a cetacean pokémon since gen 3.

Also, gabite and garchomp kind of look a bit hammerhead-shark-y, albeit in a terrestrial, non-water-type form. Which only supports my previous post, really.

MrJechgo

Has kyogre slipped your mind?
Whoops :p
Yeah, I seem to recall it being hypothesized that cetaceans are just about never pokéfied because of the controversy surrounding Japan and cetaceans (the Japanese whaling industry's been criticized quite a bit, and is a topic of contention between Japan and other countries). Not too sure if that claim holds water, but it's nonetheless very fishy there hasn't been a cetacean pokémon since gen 3.
That's the first time I hear about this. Still, not having a dolphin Pokémon in Gen 7 was questionable...
Also, gabite and garchomp kind of look a bit hammerhead-shark-y, albeit in a terrestrial, non-water-type form. Which only supports my previous post, really.
Oh, right... The non-Water-type slipped my mind :p

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Magikarp even had its own memorable moment in the gen 4 games when they're shown in the drained Lake Valor, while finneon and lumineon don't even get to be in the water-type gym.

Wild Magikarp at level 100 were fish-able in that one pond in the Resort Area if I remember correctly, which would make them the highest-levelled wild Pokémon in the games. I wonder if they'll bring them back in the upcoming Sinnoh remakes. :p

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Glameow/Purugly

I like their design; damn near impossible to use outside of Diamond/Pearl.

Also wanted to add Deerling/Sawsbuck in here too, after getting it as a gift in the sequels I fell in luv.

Mhov

Stantler is very easy to forget, Black and White were the last time that Pokemon was easily available (Abdundant Shrine). In ORAS it can only be found in a Mirage Mountain. The Pokemon is not in gen VII or VIII.

Burmy and Wormadam have a gimmick and still manage to be completely unremarkable. In gen IV you can only get Burmy from honey trees and headbutting a very specific tree in route 38 in HGSS. After that it's only available in XY route 3. Mothim is a bug/flying Pokemon that exists. Like Stantler none of these were in gen VII or VIII.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I like their design; damn near impossible to use outside of Diamond/Pearl.

They weren't even catchable in Platinum, along with Stunky and Skuntank. Hopefully they'll be catchable again in BD/SP.

Shinruna

Rose of Fire
I'm one of the few people who went with Chespin, the most forgotten starter of all time, concerning Generation VI. Most people remember Quilladin, since it looks like an ugly Grass-type counterpart of Pignite, but Chesnaught is easily one of the least considered Pokémon in history.

With that said, I really like Chesnaught and how it "stole" the Fighting-type part characterizing the Fire- starters of the three previous Generations.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
There's two Pokemon families that I love and sadly haven't been easily available since their original generations.
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray are great Electric types that haven't appeared since DPPL. They were a mainstay on any of my teams and I'll be glad to use one again in BDSP!
Deerling/Sawsbuck are another personal favorite since I love deer and find them more appealing than Stantler. Sadly their seasonal gimmick was exclusive to Generation 5. And any generations afterwards you can only encounter their spring forms. I wish we could easily catch the different forms without the seasons being programmed into the game.