• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you thought would suck, but have surprised you

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
One thing I enjoy about Nuzlocke challenges is that it forces you to use Pokemon you wouldn't otherwise, and sometimes you make great finds.

I'd never really used a Hariyama or a Grumpig and I never thought too greatly of them, but boy in my Ruby Nuzlocke they both took hits and dealt out a lot of damage, Physical and Special respectively. They were both the MVPs of the run, in fact Hariyama I obtained in Dewford Cave and managed to stick with me through the entire game.

And much in the way most people don't think much of Zubat, then later find out how useful it is, another Pokemon I got in that run was Tentacool, whom most people just write off as Surf encounter fodder, but anyone who knows it well will already understand just how beastly Tentacruel can be with its Special stats.

A pokémon I used to hate was Omastar, he is so ugly... But noe I am the Rock Gym Leader in a group made by my cousin, I learned to love Omastar because he is awesome xD
Omastar is now my favorite Rock Type Pokémon xD

Viveshade

What's Next?
I used a Pachirisu in D/P and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I was pleasantly surprised.

Maedar

Banned
Okay, I'll be honest with you. When I first saw Abomasnow, and saw that it was an Ice/Grass hybrid (meaning seven weakness, one to Rock, meaning it would be a liability against Stealth Rock) I was thinking, "What on Earth was Gamefreak thinking? This is a lamb in lion's clothing."

However, after trying a team based on Hail-based Abilities, I gotta admit, this big guy with its Snow Warning is the best asset to the ones with Snow Cloak and Ice Body. And I have to admit that I've kind of warmed up to Abomasnow (pardon the oxymoron) since then.

I admit that I haven't gotten X or Y yet (I plan to soon) and I haven't gotten a chance to use the Mega Evolutions, but whether Abomasnow will be better with it... Well, I'll have to see.

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Hariyama and his pre-evolution surprised me when I played Pokemon Emerald. He is AWESOME!! He's very powerful and can take some hits!

Maedar

Banned
Hariyama and his pre-evolution surprised me when I played Pokemon Emerald. He is AWESOME!! He's very powerful and can take some hits!

Sumos rule.

Daylin

Dark Type Trainer
Talonflame definitely, I thought the metagame would shun it because of its 4x stealth rock weakness and 80 base stat Attack, but priority brave bird really goes a long way.

tardis

Klefki. I tried training him because my friend told me about how great prankster was. I love Klefki. He destroys massive dragons and annoys all opponents with his constant paralysis, spikes, and shield.

Sir Niner Steak

wow very tm87
I refused to use Cloyster as I wasn't a fan of the design, but I looked closer at Skill Link's potential and immediately began using one. Also, same thing with Delphox at first, didn't like design but by Arceus i love a fun Fire/Psychic type.

Sohryu

Be a Man!

I used one with Bulk Up and man, it's indeed awesome! I liked it's huge HP stat too!

In a run of HeartGold I had a Butterfree that was going to be a filler until I got more Pokemon but it turned out to be a beast. However, I still boxed it.

You're so mean!!! Anyway, I've used one in R/B/Y, idk how good she is in newer games

Armando Payne

Scraggy in X & Y surprised me I never expected to keep him past the gym he's useful at (I used pokemon based upon their usefulness at the next gym) but he kept on demolishing and demolishing everything in front of him. Hell he took down the rock gym leader in 3 moves whilst paralysed.)

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
When I saw Florges for the first time I was like "That thing looks so dumb, I will never use one!". Then when I decided to give it a chance and raise a Flabebe, boy oh boy was it helpful. I could do so much with my Florges. I can use Wish, I can set-up with Calm Mind and boost my already ridiculous special defense and special attack, and I can use a variety of special moves. Then there is the factor of its amazing Grass-support which went hand in hand with my Chesnaught. It practically beat the Elite Four singlehandedly (aside from the steel-user, I can't remember his name)

bookauthor1123

Changing Altitudes
Believe it or not, I had a pretty awesome time using a team with Watchog on it. I lived that little rat/otter/badger thing honestly.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Another one that honestly surprised me was MegaZard Y. I kinda figured his massive rock weakness woudl be a massive liability, combined with low speed, but surprisingly it turned out to be quite the monster. Even does well in comp.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Klefki. At first I hated the appearance and thought it was useless in battle. But after witnessing its power and some time in Pokemon Amie, it became my favourite Kalos Pokemon

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
For me, the primary ones were mainly a few 6th gen Pokemon. When Honedge was first releases, I thought it wouldn't be good at all. Yet it's line has proved me grossly wrong; I enjoy having one on my team. Also, I didn't believe Chestnaught would be a good starter, but he is a decent tank for battles.

Z-nogyroP

whoa whats that
In my current X Nuzlocke, I have not yet had the heart to box any- ANY- of my guys, and two of my 'mons in particular surprised me with how good they were- Simisage and Lunatone. Simisage was a pain to train for a while, but once he learned Acrobatics, I evolved him and he wrecks EVERYTHING. Seriously. Lunatone is a Pokemon I love, but I knew it wasn't good, but when I got one in Glittering Cave I wanted to use it, and he is an absolute boss. Between Ice Beam and Moonblast, he's gonna be my ace against the Dragon E4.

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
I remember I originally thought there was no point in using Taillow/Swellow, but then I ended up using one during one of my playthroughs of either Sapphire or Emerald and I actually became really attached to my Swellow. He was fantastic. Then there was a Bidoof that I caught during a Platinum Nuzlocke and once it evolved it was definitely one of my better Pokemon, which surprised me.
More recently I used a Swalot for much of my playthrough of X and he ended being pretty powerful. I appreciate Swalot more, but it's still not a Pokemon I would readily use because I dislike it in general

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
While I've never been against using one, I hadn't used a Stunfisk once. When I got around to using one in a Nuzlocke, he managed to take out a good quarter of the Elite 4, so I can definitely say that Stunfisk was a very worthwhile investment. ...too bad he died in the end...

In that same Nuzlocke came a Watchog. With him, Lenora and all other gyms were a breeze. ...until he died. But hey, I did win in the end

Also, in my first playthrough of Y, Dunsparce was great. Seriously, Return, Glare, Roost and Earthquake was a fantastic moveset for him, and he did not disappoint. I also didn't abuse the EXP Share, so he wasn't overleveled or anything.