• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you thought would suck, but have surprised you

Scattar

Sableye Enchancer
Sableye. I battled it a far amount in emerald trying to get Steel Wing from that guy. And they were so easy to kill, but I caught one anyways. Best. Pokemon. Ever.

Griever789

Well in my poision only soul silver run, I used a quailfish since I'd used tentacruel too many times in the past, while I did not think it sucked, I never did think anything of it. Why I love mono type challeges, gives you opertunity to learn about new pokemon.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
It's kinda weird, but Stunfisk actually plays a really important role on my mono electric team. I really can't see me not using him. He's just so bulky and can take hits shockingly well. I was really skeptical when adding him but he actually has done wonders for me. I have a new found respect for my derpfisk.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think I thought a Pokemon sucked per se, but there were some Pokemon that I ended up using on my team anyway such as Ampharos and Talonflame.

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
There are a few Pokemon I hated that surprised me.

Darminitan: I hated that Pokemon's design when it was released. But when I played Pokemon White I needed a good Fire Type so I thought I would give it a try... man did this guy ever surprise me!

Heracross: I never liked this guy at all when I was younger. When I got Black 2 and found one in Lostlorn Forest I started to think about how sometimes Barry's Heracross would give me trouble when I wasn't prepared(Encountering Barry when I wasn't expecting it and all of my Pokemon were low on health was the worst), so I thought I would give Heracross a try. He was the star of my team!

Pelipper: I never cared for this Pokemon at all. But I'm playing a mono Water play through on Pokemon Pearl so when I found Wingull I decided to give Pelipper a chance because I never did. He's surprised me quite a bit so I'm glad I gave him a chance.

Hawlucha: Oh boy, I found this guy in the wild and I was just going to defeat him for the experience... he destroyed two of my Pokemon like it was nothing and almost destroyed my third. I decided to catch him because that surprised me a lot!

Stantler: Never cared for him as a kid but I gave him a try on Heartgold. He was fairly decent and he was one of my favourite Pokemon on that team.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I decided to try Ledian for a while, in my White game, and... This thing has such pitiful stats, bar SpDef. It's Atk stat is ridiculously low, and so is its others defences, and its speed is subpar (85). But I've used one with Swords Dance and max Atk investment. It still sucks, even with its ability, Iron Fist, but the guy have surprised me because of its awesome movepool. Thanks GF; You've made a pokémon, with awesome movepool and good potential, suck. Hard.
I'll be doing something now;
I'll be only using my favorites from now on. They may surprise you, in a different way; But it's still something. Specially when you have so much prejudice with pokémon, like I do.

WaterTypesFTW said:
Stantler: Never cared for him as a kid but I gave him a try on Heartgold. He was fairly decent and he was one of my favourite Pokemon on that team.

Haha! Stantler! I've used one, for a small amount of time, in my 3rd playthrough on my Silver game, and I have to say he was pretty boss. I just boxed him because I wanted Houndoom, but still, the guy was a boss.

Mew The Gato

Mandibuzz. When I first saw it, all that came to my mind was that it was the underdog of the two -- with the other being Braviary. I still believe that Braviary actually was better than Mandibuzz... until Generation VI and Defog's boost. Due to my previous beliefs, I still considered Mandibuzz to be a very weak Pokemon... until I used it.

It is now one of the, if not the, most reliable Pokemon in my team, due to its exceptional bulk, an excellent combination in Roost - Foul Play - Knock Off - Defog, which has helped me countless times in handling such offensive physical powerhouses like Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan -- and defeating both, among others.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Cincinno. Being a generic cutesy normal type didn't exactly paint a positive first impression, but its high speed and decent attack were good enough... though still not enough to warrant using it. Then B2/W2 came around I discovered it had Skill Link, and the perfect movepool to abuse it. Suddenly the cutesy rodent was good enough to use, and actually do a decent job.

I thought a special eelektross would suck but it's a beast with flamethrower + grassknot. An unfezant actually made it on my elite four team but I think it was mostly since the one I caught in particular trolled with super luck. For example, when I met it as a pidove it dodged many of my attacks...while asleep.

CyberD888

Travelling Trader
Klefki and Sableye. Both seem useless until I used them in my doubles team, the first for priority dual screening and T-wave and the latter for priority gravity and will-o-wisp. Two of the best supporters ever.

Megahound

Banned
I used to think that Absol was very weak but when I caught one and used it in battle I understood. Now it is my second fav Pokemon.

Passenger

Mincinno. I thought Mincinno would suck even with it's Hidden Ability but Mincinno swiped everybody down like a boss

ghum1

Competitive battler
I did a Ruby Nuzlocke on time and was stuck with this Zigzagoon, surprisingly, as a Linoone, it and my Swampert where my star Pokémon and to this day Linoone is one of my fav mons

HMSSparky

Team Rocket Trainee
I've had quite a few, my main ones are my Togepi (now a Togetic) from HeartGold, the one you get from an egg. Normally I just box it before it even hatches but I thought I'd hatch it for a change and it is one of my best Pokemon, it was a solid fighter from about level six upwards when I would occasionally use it in battle for the fun of it and it held its weight surprisingly well and I know I can always rely on it for pretty much anything.
My other is my Linoone from Pokemon Y, it was my first catch for no other reason than I wanted one and it won the league for me. I didn't use it much prior to the Elite Four, maybe when I wanted to give it chance to battle. I taught it surf just for fun so it was sort of a HM slave but a magnificent one. Back to its crowning moment of awesome, when I was up against the champion and it was her last two Pokemon I believe, especially against her mega Gardevoir which it took out in two hits with shadow claws, maybe one actually, I can't remember. I just remember that it was amazing.

Primeguy

Veteran Trainer
Oh dont get me started on weavile. I used to hate it but after my friend almost entirely swept my whole team with it back in gen4 I fell in love.

aurachomp74

Merengue
I've had my reservations with Goodra and Hawlucha, but I'm beginning to see the other way. Goodra is a defensive beast although I like attacking dragons. Hawlucha can do a lot of damage and learn mixed Flying/Fighting moves, which is awesome. Makes me start to regret that I trained mine solely as an HM slave

probe5

I thought the nidroans sucked until gen 3 when they learned better moves now i use them all the time! Mostly the male though lol

matgonor

Too cool for SSB4
At the beggining, i hated klefki.Really hated him.Just...its a keyholder.
Then i tryed it competitively, since i saw i could use him as a screener, priority paralysis and other stuff.
Then i actually like him now and it has kind of become one of my favorite gen 6 pokes.after tyrantrum and chesnaugh.