• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon you thought would suck, but have surprised you

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Sylveon to be honest. I thought it looked ridiculous but after getting it I realized how much of a BEAST it can be. Especially with the hidden ability Pixelate, it's AMAZING and has (dare I finally admit it) superceded my love for Umbreon as an Eeeveelution.

I also thought the Fletchling line would suck but mine stole the show from my starter (Fennekin) even though I currently don't have the best moveset for it (hey, I need someone on my team who can Fly).

Oh and come to think about it, the Scatterbug line as well but that little bugger can hold on for dear life AND has saved me in battle multiple times.

This generation, I'd say Vivillon. I use one on my online team in a ParaFusion set, and it does it very well when given a Wide Lens. I gained faith in it when that strategy helped me defeat an Aegislash, and in honour of that Vivillon, I chose to use a Polar one.

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
Barbaracle and Gourgeist.

I thought Barbaracle would be just another one of those run-of-the-mill Water-type evolutions. Nope. SHELL SMASH.

Also, Gourgeist is a wall against a certain annoying Pokémon that everyone uses: Quagsire. It also kills any preconceived notions of shofu people sweeping with "diggersby tho".

EDIT: Also, I really didn't like the designs of Slurpuff and Aromatisse. But Slurpuff is just an awesome attacker and Aromatisse annihilates another annoying Pokémon: Sableye.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Jumpluff....seriously....

Max out its Speed and maybe SpDef EV's, give it leech seed, sleep powder, infestation, substitute and leftovers and it can be a major pain in butt.
The funny thing is, the leech seed and leftovers almost completely heal the damage taken from substitute, and then because they can't retreat with infestation, you just keep draining health, and putting them to sleep. The only drawback is that this does not work on Grass types enemies.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
During my Heart Gold Nuzlocke I got a Sunkern and refused to use it until I had no choice and then realized Sunflora is not as bad as I thought. Not quite a beast but better than what I originally thought lol

tekar hussy

BestSinceDayOne
That would be Aggron. I thought that with his weak attacking abilites, it was no use. But his defense! Great team pokemon.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
A Japanese Solrock completely got me off guard once, and man was it embarrassing...

Kibagos

FairyDragon Queen~
Dedenne. As usual I always capture the "Pikachu look-a-like" in every region. I didn't think it would perform so much better then any other Pika copy but damn was I wrong. Because it has a dual typing of Fairy it made it really useful against a lot of dragons, dark and fighting types. Sure it doesn't have any fantastic Fairy moves but it still works quite well at least in-game, have yet to tried it online but I will probably at some point.

ColorsofTheRainbow

Live. Love. Ho-Oh.
Breloom. I'd always hated the Shroomish line because of its design and the AI's overuse of status moves in 3rd gen. Then, in HG I needed a False Swipe/Spore pokemon to catch legendaries, so I raised one. Breloom actually turned out to be pretty awesome.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Dedenne. As usual I always capture the "Pikachu look-a-like" in every region. I didn't think it would perform so much better then any other Pika copy but damn was I wrong. Because it has a dual typing of Fairy it made it really useful against a lot of dragons, dark and fighting types. Sure it doesn't have any fantastic Fairy moves but it still works quite well at least in-game, have yet to tried it online but I will probably at some point.

Nuzzle is an absolute nuisance, mixed with Dedenne's good speed.

KillerDraco

He does, a bit. Really, that 2 4x weakness cripple him. So much. And he is one of my favs, haha!

At least until he Mega Evolves and becomes the immovable object.

Talonflame tops my list though. 4x weakness to stealth rock, generally crummy stats barring speed, and a relatively small movepool... but it just goes to show how absurdly overpowered Gale Wings is.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Plusle and Minun. They are brutally powerful when used right. They are both assist characters, and the fact that they can both assist each other to take down some nasty Pokémon is crazy. Here's the movesets I run with my Plusle and Minun:

Plusle: Thunder, Grass Knot, Nasty Plot, Helping Hand
Minun: Shockwave, Grass Knot, Rain Dance, Helping Hand

I've seen PBR battles where these two have taken down Dialga, Palkia and Giratina.

Schmmidtty

Schmmidtty
I used a diggersby as my HM slave in x when I first started, I thought, oh it's another gen rodent. But when I found myself in a corner, I finally used it at level 78 because i I had exp all on, and this thing dominated. Now everytime I restart, I make one an important member of my team.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Pumpbakoo has really surprised me. I bred one that I was planning to evolve but I decided to try it out in the Battle Maison with an Eviolite and I managed to reach the Chatalaine in Triple battles with it. Definitely not going to be evolving mine now. I don't like Gourgeist as much and I don't think it would be as effective as Pumpkaboo is.