• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéNav Plus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah360

I'm so excited, my first dive on route 107 and the first Pokemon I come acrossed is a relicanth with my Dexnav!!!!!!!!!!!!

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
@saPower1000: Well, I've just read it and I'm going to try out your advice. I'm still a little mad about how much time I wasted yesterday, but oh well. Haha.

Yeah, although imagine trying to find Unown with the DexNav.

Brutal.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
3) Because I was using a Compoundeyes Pokemon and the rate was a low end (50 Vulpix to 22 Charcoal being 44%) It appears compoudeyes DOESN'T have an effect on DexNav items, and that they have a fixed percent. I will test this more with Vulpix, as well as with a Shuppet I found with DexNav that was holding a Spell Tag (5% chance). It would be interesting to see if Dexnav items have a higher rate of appearance than normal encounters if it is possible for the Pokemon to hold the same item in both cases.
4) It appears Chaining with Dexnav for Shiny Pokemon is a myth. Based on what people have said, you should be guaranteed a shiny at a chain 41, which has not happened to me at a chain of 50. More testing. Much Numbers. Wow.

Hey sa.
I've noticed that compound eyes Pokémon do increase the rate of held items when in the lead. Are you checking with 1% or 5% Pokémon? Try it on Skarmory. You will be knee deep in Metal Coats before you know it with Nincada/etc. I believe Skarmory is one of those 20% Pokémon, and I end up drowning with Metal Coats when the bug is up to bat. Same for Shed Shells from Venomoths.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Hey sa.
I've noticed that compound eyes Pokémon do increase the rate of held items when in the lead. Are you checking with 1% or 5% Pokémon? Try it on Skarmory. You will be knee deep in Metal Coats before you know it with Nincada/etc. I believe Skarmory is one of those 20% Pokémon, and I end up drowning with Metal Coats when the bug is up to bat. Same for Shed Shells from Venomoths.

Hey Victreebong!
It does increase standard held item chances. What it does not seem to increase is DexNav exclusive item rates (which I mentioned I believe). Those seem to be set. This is what I was testing Compoundeyes on, not normal hold items. Charcoal is a DexNav exclusive item, so it's rate is apparently fixed to 50% based on my testing (unless DexNav items have convoluted rates like 40% or 35%, in which case, it has roughly a 45% chance). Skarmory possibly has the same rate for Metal Coat as Vulpix does for Charcoal, as those rates are different to normal hold item rates.

Edit:
One thing I found out today is that the DexNav still allows for normal held items to appear on a Pokemon. I was hunting for Everstone on Roggenrola, and though it is ONLY a DexNav Pokemon, I was still able to obtain it's normal item. Now, whether this can ONLY happen if the Pokemon DOES NOT have a DexNav item remains to be seen (if applicable), as Roggenrola does not have any DexNav item.

Last edited:

cryuel

Hey Victreebong!
It does increase standard held item chances. What it does not seem to increase is DexNav exclusive item rates (which I mentioned I believe). Those seem to be set. This is what I was testing Compoundeyes on, not normal hold items. Charcoal is a DexNav exclusive item, so it's rate is apparently fixed to 50% based on my testing (unless DexNav items have convoluted rates like 40% or 35%, in which case, it has roughly a 45% chance). Skarmory possibly has the same rate for Metal Coat as Vulpix does for Charcoal, as those rates are different to normal hold item rates.

Edit:
One thing I found out today is that the DexNav still allows for normal held items to appear on a Pokemon. I was hunting for Everstone on Roggenrola, and though it is ONLY a DexNav Pokemon, I was still able to obtain it's normal item. Now, whether this can ONLY happen if the Pokemon DOES NOT have a DexNav item remains to be seen (if applicable), as Roggenrola does not have any DexNav item.

Does anyone have tips for efficient use of DexNav in terms of saving time when searching? I tend to sneak up until I'm one block away and then sprint, which allows me to catch it before it can run. Not sure if there are more effective ways of doing it though? :S

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
I tend to sneak up until I'm one block away and then sprint, which allows me to catch it before it can run.
Does this really work?! From my experience, no matter how close I am, the moment I stop tip-toeing the thing is gone. Which sucks when you're HA hunting and you finally, finally found something.

I don't know how practical this advice is, but I found I could sneak up on Pokes better after my Circle Pad broke. Yeah, I played Smash Bros too hard and the pad on my Circle Pad broke off, leaving what's essentially just the shaft of the joystick. Still works alright, just the head isn;t as wide. And, now that I can more directly nudge the side of the stick, I found I can control how slow I move a lot more efficiently. Ruined my SSB playstyle, though.

cryuel

Does this really work?! From my experience, no matter how close I am, the moment I stop tip-toeing the thing is gone. Which sucks when you're HA hunting and you finally, finally found something.

I don't know how practical this advice is, but I found I could sneak up on Pokes better after my Circle Pad broke. Yeah, I played Smash Bros too hard and the pad on my Circle Pad broke off, leaving what's essentially just the shaft of the joystick. Still works alright, just the head isn;t as wide. And, now that I can more directly nudge the side of the stick, I found I can control how slow I move a lot more efficiently. Ruined my SSB playstyle, though.

Well, it certainly works because I do it. ^_^ But it takes some controlled dashes. I ended up avoiding it because I'm not patient enough to concentrate on the timing on the long run.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Well, it certainly works because I do it. ^_^ But it takes some controlled dashes. I ended up avoiding it because I'm not patient enough to concentrate on the timing on the long run.

I honestly think the fastest and most consistent way to save time is:
1) Have a high Dexnav level for the Pokemon you are searching for.
2) Control your sneaking so you move the fastest you possibly can while sneaking.

I can't imagine you cover a large distance with the Dash, and the second you might save is offset, by just sneaking quickly.

The hardest pokemon to get to while sneaking are ones is water and cave-like areas, so you shouldn't have this problem with grass mons.

cryuel

I honestly think the fastest and most consistent way to save time is:
1) Have a high Dexnav level for the Pokemon you are searching for.
2) Control your sneaking so you move the fastest you possibly can while sneaking.

I can't imagine you cover a large distance with the Dash, and the second you might save is offset, by just sneaking quickly.

The hardest pokemon to get to while sneaking are ones is water and cave-like areas, so you shouldn't have this problem with grass mons.

After horde hunting, the level isn't so much an issue for me, but I guess the monotony of sneaking slowly. At least with Radar hunting you could do it quickly if your mind is set to it. Oh well, thanks for the tip though! :)

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
After horde hunting, the level isn't so much an issue for me, but I guess the monotony of sneaking slowly. At least with Radar hunting you could do it quickly if your mind is set to it. Oh well, thanks for the tip though! :)

Yeah I understand what you mean. I tried Dexnaving for Unown, and boy was that brutal.
Got all the forms tho.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Using Super Repels while DexNav chaining helps, since you won't encounter other Pokemon.

Ascended Dialga

Using Super Repels while DexNav chaining helps, since you won't encounter other Pokemon.

I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
When using the DexNav to locate Pokémon, is there a certain number of steps that the Pokémon will generate away from you?
Pokémon never seem to appear right near me, making it difficult to use DexNav in smaller areas.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
When using the DexNav to locate Pokémon, is there a certain number of steps that the Pokémon will generate away from you?
Pokémon never seem to appear right near me, making it difficult to use DexNav in smaller areas.

I just walk 20 steps before using the DexNav but I am not clear on the details.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I just walk 20 steps before using the DexNav but I am not clear on the details.

I am unclear on the details as well, and I can't seem to find any kind of walkthrough or guide that is super-clear on the matter...

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Of course... How did I miss looking on the Bulbapedia page for the DexNav? That should have been the first place I looked... Thanks again for your help! :D

Haha you're welcome! Bulbapedia is usually the first place I look for information like that. If I need quick Pokedex info or where to find an item or something, I'll use the main Serebii site, but Bulbapedia is great for stuff like that.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Haha you're welcome! Bulbapedia is usually the first place I look for information like that. If I need quick Pokedex info or where to find an item or something, I'll use the main Serebii site, but Bulbapedia is great for stuff like that.

It's the same for me, which is why I'm boggled as to why I didn't go there for my DexNav concerns... Whenever I search something Pokémon-related via Google, 98% of the time, the Bulbapedia link is the first option I am given.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Does chaining with pokenav increases the chance of getting shiny pokemon? Similar with how it works by chain fishing? Which way has the better chance of getting shiny, pokenav or horde?

Status
Not open for further replies.