• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Quill

star-lord
PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

I rather liked Wulava’s OP so I’ll C+P it for simplicity.
The PokéRadar returns in Pokémon X & Y. Unlike in DPPt though, there are no radar-exclusive Pokémon, and there a updates with the mechanics.

Feel free to discuss your findings here.

All posts should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. One-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered spam and will be deleted.

BASIC POKERADAR GUIDE
Courtesy of dbApplejack

• Recharge rate is every 50 steps.
  • You need to be in a grass patch and OFF your roller blades (Switching to roller blades will break the chain).
  • When you activate the Poke Radar and go into rustling grass, whatever Pokemon shows up, that's the Pokemon you are chaining for (If it's not, try again).
  • To continue the chain, knock out the Pokemon and more grass will rustle after the battle. The objective is to keep finding the same Pokemon you knocked out. The more times you encounter it, the higher the chance it is shiny. Be careful for decoy patches which break the chain.

For more in-depth info about the PokéRadar, go here.

New changes from 4th gen:

- You don't need to go for the square four spaces from you (or leastways the one furthest away).
- Edges may be safer, but that could use more testing, some people say they are, some not.
- Slightly moving spaces will break your chain, so avoid those.

This all falls under the caveat that the staff doesn’t want shiny discussion in this thread since it’s easier to keep it to one single thread. There’s a thread for that over here in General Pokemon Discussion.

So please keep discussion to the mechanics please. And encounters of pokemon you find via PokeRadar, of course. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulsworn

Had to join to post an odd occurrence in order to see if anyone else had the same experience: I was chaining on route 7 for furfrou, had a nice chain going. After activating the Pokeradar, the music changed to very festive, Hispanic/fiesta-like music and no shiny patches appeared. Going to a patch the appropriate distance away, it was a decoy. I chained before and got a shiny Ditto in the Pokemon Village (on my 6th try, might I add), so I know the shiny music and the shiny patches. Oddly enough, I had the Strange Souvenir attached to my Talonflame. Maybe I'm just superstitious, but this never happened until I gave that thing to my Talonflame. Any thoughts? Just coincidence? Could it be for an occurrence with all decoy patches?

turbocats

Had to join to post an odd occurrence in order to see if anyone else had the same experience: I was chaining on route 7 for furfrou, had a nice chain going. After activating the Pokeradar, the music changed to very festive, Hispanic/fiesta-like music and no shiny patches appeared. Going to a patch the appropriate distance away, it was a decoy. I chained before and got a shiny Ditto in the Pokemon Village (on my 6th try, might I add), so I know the shiny music and the shiny patches. Oddly enough, I had the Strange Souvenir attached to my Talonflame. Maybe I'm just superstitious, but this never happened until I gave that thing to my Talonflame. Any thoughts? Just coincidence? Could it be for an occurrence with all decoy patches?

On my first real attempt at chaining in Y, I had the same music come up, but there was also no shiny patch. I've since chained and had a shiny, and the music never came up (through a chain of 41). I'll report back if I have it happen again.

I do not have the Strange Souvenir, however, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't somehow play a part.

Are we allowed to discuss chaining via fishing in this topic as well? I caught a shiny luvdisc after a chain of 28.
But to keep it more on track, my highest chain with PokeRadar is like 10. No matter what I do it breaks, I've got the worst luck with the radar.

Rakurai

I'm irked by the fact that the patches of grass Electrike is found in are far too small to realistically build a good chain in.

There seems to be a lot less viable spots for chaining overall.

vedil

I do liek mudkipz.
PokeRadar seems horrible this generation so far, at least for me. My record is a whopping chain of 1, I can't go any further. I'd easily get to at least 10 in DPPt each time, had a few shiny chains too, but in XY it's just... I don't even know.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Are we allowed to discuss chaining via fishing in this topic as well? I caught a shiny luvdisc after a chain of 28.
But to keep it more on track, my highest chain with PokeRadar is like 10. No matter what I do it breaks, I've got the worst luck with the radar.
Yes.

I'm irked by the fact that the patches of grass Electrike is found in are far too small to realistically build a good chain in.

There seems to be a lot less viable spots for chaining overall.

I know what you mean, I've tried chaining Litleo, but its patches are too small to chain effectively.

Rakurai

I think the patch of grass outside of the Chamber of Emptiness is big enough to do some decent Litleo chaining.

No dice for Electrike, though, as it only appears in the three small flower patches on the first half of the route, the largest of which is only a 3 x 5 space. Using Static doesn't help nearly as much as it did in DPP, either, due to Emolga being such a common encounter.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'll add that a major change to the mechanics is that you don't need to go for the square four spaces from you (or leastways the one furthest away), so that helps with the lack of space for chaining. Edges may be safer, but that could use more testing, some people say they are, some not. And slightly moving spaces break your chain, so avoid those.

I'll add those to the first post too.

pikkichu

Chained all day yesturday, my first real sit down attempt at chaining, bouncing tries between pancham furfrou and skiddo, I noticed that when you hear a little jingle noise that means there's a decoy patch, normally always the one that shakes the least. And i try to aim for the biggest shaking grass to chain on, and i find edges safe and even when only 2 patches shake itd been safe as long as it was similar shaking grass. Got a shiny patch for skiddo within 5 chains though, my highest chain is around 25 which continues to gegt broken by doduo

Iv got the idea of chaining. I never got a chance to play diamond and pearl so still trying to get used to it.

Personally i think the toughest thing about the chaining on X &Y is being able to see the barely moving grass. Theres countless times when you could feel safe in a good going chain, see your next spot and suddenly see a message strike up saying ' theres no pokemon to find here'.

Its probably lack of attention to small detail but its extremely annoying when that small tiny patch of grass gets under your feet or even worst of all. Being your character.

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
My highest chain so far has been 37....if that had been Platinum, I would rage because it takes soooo much time. I'm loving the new mechanics...it makes chaining less time-consuming.

If only I could get to 40 finally, though...

not589

Chaining confuses me, so I am chaining for Dittos, I found a Ditto, now what?
Nvm, I think I understand it now.

Last edited:

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
well my chaining is still low to this day. Just had a chain of 5 with Liepard until a foongus broke it. Some luck im having so far :(

reinofc

Urgh... I am having no luck with the new chaining. I keep ending up with empty patches.
Still to antsy about getting near the edges thanks to all the gen four chaining

Last edited:

DK-Chaos

Am i to assume this does not work with Honedge in the long grass infront of Parfume Palace? I knock out Honedge and no grass shakes besides mine and then i tried to do with with poke radar and all i seem to be getting is "you can not use this here! try somewhere else" from mom or what ever...

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
I FINALLY got a chain of 40 and caught a Shiny Skiddo!

//explodes from excitement overload

blasian amtrax

Am i to assume this does not work with Honedge in the long grass infront of Parfume Palace? I knock out Honedge and no grass shakes besides mine and then i tried to do with with poke radar and all i seem to be getting is "you can not use this here! try somewhere else" from mom or what ever...

Use the d-pad to move, roller skates break the chain/prevent usage of the radar in the same way that the bike does

The Scientist

Regarding the mechanics of the fast-pace music that sometimes plays... what if it signifies a temporary boost of your shiny patch odds to the odds of a 40+ chain? For example, no matter what chain number you have, if you get the music, you're shiny patch odds are temporarily boosted and you can reset the radar hoping for a shiny patch until the music returns to normal.

This is no more than an idea I had when I got the music, so it's just speculation since it's still a mystery what the music does.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
my highest chain in 4th gen was over 40 but i can't wait to get started after beating the game and try out the new game mechanics of how this radar works for getting shinies...It seems they tried to make it harder but i use to be pretty good with chaining back then so ill be up for the challenge of mastering this gen new mechanics :p

Status
Not open for further replies.