• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK-Chaos

Use the d-pad to move, roller skates break the chain/prevent usage of the radar in the same way that the bike does

I noted that little bit from other posts but even if I just use the d pad it still says "moms words echoed... There's a time and place for everything! But not now."

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I noted that little bit from other posts but even if I just use the d pad it still says "moms words echoed... There's a time and place for everything! But not now."

You have to be actually in the grass to use it. Either that or it just won't work in tall grass, which is a bummer because i'd like to chain honedges to.

On a side note I had a chain randomly break on me...I was at 31 on sandslashes and I found another sandslash but right after the battle the chain was broken/ I didn't get on skates or anything it just...ended.

Last edited:

DK-Chaos

yeah I was in the grass so I guess tall grass isn't radar available... btw I'm doing the radar at route 4 trying to chain even two budew and twice now I've found a wild moltres.... it runs before I can even make a decision...

The Scientist

DK-Chaos: you'll need a level 70+ pokemon in your first slot, or chase Moltres around many times until he sits in Sea Spirit's Den waiting for you to catch him.

DK-Chaos

odd I had my level 70 blaziken in front... but ok thanks any other legendary pokemon do this? and is this related to poke radar?

PokeAJ

I can't wait till we have a solid guide for new chaining mechanics this gen. They've most certainly changed from 4th gen, cause I got to 40 chains dozens of times back then, and now I'm lucky if I get to 10 in Y using the same methods. The one thing I think I've got figured out is how the grass shakes seems to matter more than where it shakes. You wanna look for the patch that always shakes the same is what I'm guessing. Whereas back in 4th gen what mattered most was the patch furthest away, that seems to matter much less now, maybe not at all.

Last edited:

MegaAbsol

I don't know how sound can help, but I have bad hearing so I guess that is probably why I can't make use of sound... really struggling with chaining, can't wait for a more guide like thing to follow... only managed to chain 1 shiny in Platinum so don't have high hopes at the moment.

The Scientist

DK-Chaos: I should have said it had to be level 71 or greater. In order for the repel to work, you need to have a pokemon at a higher level than what you're trying to repel. And no, running into Moltres has nothing to do with the pokeradar. It's a roaming legendery.

And regarding my speculation on the purpose of the fast tempo pokeradar music (I proposed that it might signify a boosted chance for a shiny patch like that of a chain of 40+)... if it were true, I predict that the music should not appear once you have a chain of 40+. In the past few days I have reset the radar at least 250 times while at a chain <40 and got the music five times. However, last night I finally reached a chain of 40 and reset the radar 165 times, and did not hear the music once while I was at 40+.

In addition, once I reached a chain of 40, I found a shiny patch after 20 resets. However, the following 145 times did not produce any shiny patches. It has been suggested elsewhere that shiny patches only appear once per chain. My observation offers a small piece of anecdotal evidence to support this suggestion.

While my notes are focused on chaining for shinies, I hope they are mechanistic enough for the purpose of this thread.

Bathrezz

I tried using pokerader but I only got as high as 2-3 chains. Most of the time my chains broke was because I didn't get any really rustling grass, just the average ones so I had no choice but to walk into them. Unless I can walk 50steps, use the rader again to find a really rustling grass and not break chain?

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
I tried using pokerader but I only got as high as 2-3 chains. Most of the time my chains broke was because I didn't get any really rustling grass, just the average ones so I had no choice but to walk into them. Unless I can walk 50steps, use the rader again to find a really rustling grass and not break chain?

Yes, you can do that. Just keep repels up and avoid the barely shaking grass

Salyeri

Is there a minimum size the field has to be for chaining to work? Because i tried to chaining Ralts but i never get a higher chain than 7 or so .

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
Is there a minimum size the field has to be for chaining to work? Because i tried to chaining Ralts but i never get a higher chain than 7 or so .

Not really, but larger fields are recommended unless you have high experience with chaining.

Could anyone recommend some GOOD places to chain Gen 6 Pokemon?

Route 5 is a good spot because it has a fairly large field. I was able to chain to 40 on Skiddo and after multiple resets, I finally got a shiny patch.

Bathrezz

The boarders have been so far successful except for one time where I lost a chain. I also almost lost a chain because as I ran on a rustling grass my reply expired on me! and i didnt get to walk into that grass so i ran around for 50steps and continued chaining, phew.

Bathrezz

Hates life, broke chain at like 30 for that Flabby flower pokemon.

kosthedin

Route 5 is a good spot because it has a fairly large field. I was able to chain to 40 on Skiddo and after multiple resets, I finally got a shiny patch.
REALLY? I spent HOURS trying to chain a shiny Furfrou but to no avail.

Just saying to all you guys, just use the Masuda Method and breed for the Pokémon you want. The odds might not be as small, but you don't have to worry about broken chains and keeping your eyes on the screen every second.

Eeviechu

I've been browsing this thread while I chain, and I just had to make an account to let you all know of what I came across!

Right now I'm chaining Pikachus in the large patch in Santalune Forest (the patch near the center of the forest is absolutely perfect for chaining). My chain is currently at 51. I always think I'm counting wrong so I tend to pass 40 a bit just in case before I start radar resetting.

Around the 46 chain mark I ran into a Shiny Patch Pikachu, caught him, and then two radar resets later I found another shiny patch with yet another Pikachu in it. This confirms that you can indeed find multiple shinies within one chain! I'm currently resetting for more, I have 239 Super Repels at the ready so I could potentially get several more shiny chus! Will post if I come across any more.

Also I heard the strange music change around my 7th chain when I started, and haven't heard it since. Not on either shiny patch reset either. What could it mean?

GetThunderStruck

venomous wisdom.
I got a Shiny Horsea yesterday off a chain of 108.......... ridiculously long lol

Bathrezz

What is radar resetting?

Eeviechu

What is radar resetting?

Radar resetting is when you walk another 50 steps and use your radar again. If none of the grass patches look good, you can take another 50 steps (while avoiding any of the bad grass patches that shook) and use your radar again to look for more promising shaking grass patches.

As long as you don't step off the grass, use the skates/bicycle, or run into a Pokemon that you are not chaining, re-using your radar will not break a chain.

I'm often too careful so I tend to reset my radar a lot. So far it's proven to be a good thing- my Pikachu chain is currently at 63 and I've already found 2 shinies. Still hunting for more but my hand is hurting haha. The D pad is not very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.