• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bathrezz

I can't step off the grass to get my 50steps and then walk back in when ready?

The Scientist

Around the 46 chain mark I ran into a Shiny Patch Pikachu, caught him, and then two radar resets later I found another shiny patch with yet another Pikachu in it. This confirms that you can indeed find multiple shinies within one chain! I'm currently resetting for more, I have 239 Super Repels at the ready so I could potentially get several more shiny chus! Will post if I come across any more.

Also I heard the strange music change around my 7th chain when I started, and haven't heard it since. Not on either shiny patch reset either. What could it mean?

Thanks much for the info. When you ran into the second shiny patch, did you fight any normal Pikachus in between?

So you didn't hear the fast tempo music after your 40th chain encounter? If anyone else is reading this who has heard the music after chain encounter #40, tell us!

Bathrezz

Will I lose my chain is I used my radar too soon, like when if i take 45steps and tells me I need 5 more?

Eeviechu

Thanks much for the info. When you ran into the second shiny patch, did you fight any normal Pikachus in between?

So you didn't hear the fast tempo music after your 40th chain encounter? If anyone else is reading this who has heard the music after chain encounter #40, tell us!

No, I didn't fight any normal ones in between! That's the amazing thing, I think. I got these two shinies practically in a row, there were no encounters in between. Just a couple radar resets!

Unfortunately my chain just broke at 70. I heard the strange music again around 64 though, but none of the patches looked good so I reset the radar, and the music went away.

Here's some picture proof of my chain, I can also take some pictures of the two Pikachu if needed.

70 Pikachu chain is here- sta.sh/01ysh8l86yik
I'm having a bit of trouble with the image uploader so that link will have to do for now.

pikkichu

How many varents of grass is there? Specificaly purple flowers which is what I've been chaining, I normally just run into the best looking one, there just seems to be like 4 varients of the wildest shaking patch so its annoyingly hard to look for the same one, I made it to about 35 on flabebe infront of the daycare before it broke, having trouble actually spotting the correct varient cause there seem to be too many kinds of patches.

I've tried chaining to get minimal options (in. The areas infront of the daycare that is like 14x5), standing on the far end sides so that some of the patches spawn out of the area so there is less things to glance at, only problem is that sometimes all the patches go off the field, and walking out hasn't broken the hain before cause I accidentaly step out of the field when going for a patch but it doesn't break the chain

Bathrezz

So strange. My best record is for Flabebe which was 23 and for this one I ran outside of the grass to charge my radar and I often went into the boarder.

I got a chain of 10 swirlx Until a darn Flabebe Apeared...

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
People are saying that they hate how shiny chaining is really hard compared to DP: Well, GameFreak staff aren't idiots. They know that we're using this for shinies. They made it harder so that there's a ridiculously easy way of getting shinies, but now it's not one every 15 minutes.
Also, chaining for a Skiddo. It's sooooo cute. Unfortunately, these furoufrus are in the way.

Eeviechu

Personally I find it easier to chain in X/Y than in D/P/Pt. I've never gotten a chain as high as the 70 I got today in X before on the older games, and I considered myself very good at chaining. I've gotten several shinies from it in the past games but it usually took longer and required more resets. I can still hardly believe I got my 2 shiny Pikachu within a literal minute of each other, and only around 25 minutes of chaining time total!

Perhaps you just need a better patch? To practice on, I definitely recommend the one I was using, which is in the Santalune Forest (the large patch in the center of the forest).

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
I can't step off the grass to get my 50steps and then walk back in when ready?

I was able to walk off the grass without my chain breaking.

I've only heard the music before getting to 40. I wish I knew what it meant because I've heard it as early as chain 2.

No, I didn't fight any normal ones in between! That's the amazing thing, I think. I got these two shinies practically in a row, there were no encounters in between. Just a couple radar resets!

Unfortunately my chain just broke at 70. I heard the strange music again around 64 though, but none of the patches looked good so I reset the radar, and the music went away.

Here's some picture proof of my chain, I can also take some pictures of the two Pikachu if needed.

70 Pikachu chain is here- sta.sh/01ysh8l86yik
I'm having a bit of trouble with the image uploader so that link will have to do for now.

You chained all the way up to 70? Whoa... After 40, you don't have to chain anymore, just reset. After a few resets, I got my Shiny Skiddo. However, I tried resetting for more and then after an hour, I gave up on trying to find more shiny patches lol

Silversea

People are saying that they hate how shiny chaining is really hard compared to DP: Well, GameFreak staff aren't idiots. They know that we're using this for shinies. They made it harder so that there's a ridiculously easy way of getting shinies, but now it's not one every 15 minutes.
Also, chaining for a Skiddo. It's sooooo cute. Unfortunately, these furoufrus are in the way.

I personally disagree. It was hard work getting chains in DPPt because of the multiple "rules" which are fixed in X and Y such as being able to go into "edge spaces" and having more freedom in how far away you walk from the starting point. However, "random" encounters in grass that should be perfectly fine seem to remove all the benefits put in place by removing those rules and I think that is what so many people (including myself) are annoyed about.

reinofc

Urgh, I think I just broke my chain. I hit the wrong thing when I was resetting the radar and the whole mom message popped up and the music changed. Since there's no app anymore for x and y, how can you be sure if you broke your chain or not

Eeviechu

You chained all the way up to 70? Whoa... After 40, you don't have to chain anymore, just reset. After a few resets, I got my Shiny Skiddo. However, I tried resetting for more and then after an hour, I gave up on trying to find more shiny patches lol

I had already gotten 2 shiny Pikachu in that chain, so after becoming bored of resetting a ton of times...I continued it past 40 for fun to see how high I could get it. :D I enjoy chaining for high numbers too, it's fun to beat my previous score. I think I'll try again later with something else.

Surprisingly, the 2 shinies I found right after one another, they each have 3 stats with 31 IV's, as checked by the guy in Kiloude. I wonder if there's any correlation as to why they do?

Unaki

Has anyone gotten high chains on Scythers in Route 21? He is, like, the only shiny I actually want and boy am I having a ton of trouble. There just isn't a lot of room there :/

Bathrezz

I believe that the chains automatically reset if you are chaining for too long or haven't walked into rustling grass recently. My chain broke for no reason when I turned toggled my radar at 30something chains. I thought that maybe you can't get a chain if you get exactly 50steps but I found that to be wrong with trial and error.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
No, walking off the grass and away from the area breaks a chain. You must remain in the grass you start a chain in to continue it. :0

I can also confirm that you don't need to stay in the grass. You can step out at whatever time you like to reset the radar. It only breaks if you go off screen or if you try to use the radar again outside of the grass. My chain has never broken by stepping out of the grass so I usually run out, run around, run back in,and restart.

As a side note the past 2 days i've been chaining for Sandslashes and Larions just outside of Couriway Town on route 18. I've been doing it in the small patches of red flowers just before the town and I gotta say they are working well i'm just not lucky. It's nice that it's not measured by distance anymore. With these patches you can see mostly everything on screen as it happens, so I find it a good beginning spot. At least for me cause this is my first time actually shiny chaining.

Also on the weird music I had it start playing but I didn't have a shiny patch, hell I didn't even have any Pokemon in any of the patches so. I have no idea.

Is there anyway I can tell if the patch I am about to go into is a Shiny patch?

There should be sparkles when the patch shakes. I'm not sure if it still does that because I haven't seen it yet, but that's what people say it should do

Last edited:

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
There should be sparkles when the patch shakes. I'm not sure if it still does that because I haven't seen it yet, but that's what people say it should do

Yes, there are golden sparkles along with a ping sound effect.

PokeAJ

But chaining wasn't "easy" in 4th gen either. I'd sometimes spend hours before I got a chain to 40. At least I could eventually do it though given enough patience, unlike this Y where I just have no luck no matter how long I chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.