• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, didn't know about that. Thought you had to Capture/KO the pokemon.

Yeah, running is fine. Take it from someone who's encountered 4 shinies already by this method. :) Although encountering a shiny then killing it/capturing it seems to reset the chain though (from experience..)

Neo_Mametchi

Does anyone know how many variations of grass shaking there are? I never used the poke radar in previous games. The highest I ever got in a chain was 5. -_-

And u don't need to get a chain of 40 do u? Is it possible to find a shiny pokemon with the radar before a chain of 40?

Bathrezz

4 different types of grass
1 - barely moving
2 - slightly moving
3 - jumping grass
4 - shiny grass

Kaiser94

Dragon maker
What's the easiest places to chain both with fishing and radar for 6th gen pokemon I use to be good with chaining on d/p/pt but can't get the hang of it!! With fishing all I have to do is fish right I can run??

Eldéen

Guys, is it confirmed that there can be only one shiny path in every chain or hast anyone seen more than one, so far?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
What's the easiest places to chain both with fishing and radar for 6th gen pokemon I use to be good with chaining on d/p/pt but can't get the hang of it!! With fishing all I have to do is fish right I can run??

Frost cave. There's a river right besides the bridge which has a huge % at getting Poliwhirls.
Guys, is it confirmed that there can be only one shiny path in every chain or hast anyone seen more than one, so far?

I've heard a few guys saying that it can happen, but the chances are very dim.

Eldéen

I've heard a few guys saying that it can happen, but the chances are very dim.

So this means, it is impossible to fill whole boxes with shinies after getting a chain of 40 Pokémon as it was possible in d/p/p? If so, then there's not really a point to try and get usable shinies, am I getting this right?

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
So this means, it is impossible to fill whole boxes with shinies after getting a chain of 40 Pokémon as it was possible in d/p/p? If so, then there's not really a point to try and get usable shinies, am I getting this right?

Not necessarily. The higher your chain, the better the IVs. You can expect any shiny caught at a chain of 40+ to have at least 1 and maybe 2 or 3 perfect IVs. Bring a Synchronizer and you should be able to catch a useable shiny every now and then. Ofcourse, Synch could fail and the perfect IVs could be in the wrong stats, but it should still be easier than in D/P/Pt where getting 1 perfect IV required some luck.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
Another question: At what fishing chain should I stop and reset? I'm now in the 90s again...

Edit:
Could somebody explain how to chain fish to me?
First, check the Serebii explanation. Here's reall what you need to know: The more you fish pokemon whilst staying in one place and without breaking your fishing combo, known as a "chain", the higher the chances of getting a shiny. We don't know the numbers yet but people have been getting shinies out of this method

Last edited:

cwertle

Don't Blink!
Could somebody explain how to chain fish to me?

Eldéen

Not necessarily. The higher your chain, the better the IVs. You can expect any shiny caught at a chain of 40+ to have at least 1 and maybe 2 or 3 perfect IVs. Bring a Synchronizer and you should be able to catch a useable shiny every now and then. Ofcourse, Synch could fail and the perfect IVs could be in the wrong stats, but it should still be easier than in D/P/Pt where getting 1 perfect IV required some luck.

Thanks a lot, that's finally a helpful answer and it kind of motivates me to keep on going after catching two useless ones. Thanks again ~

thepinguins

Steel Jester
BXbFpvsIcAAMJYn.jpg Hooray!

Marticus

Another question: At what fishing chain should I stop and reset? I'm now in the 90s again...

In my experience I got all my shinies in low chains (5,6,8). My best chain is 95 and I had plenty of 50+ chains with no luck. A proportional increase of chances doesn't sound right to me. My idea was that after the first 2-3 pokèmon, the game decides if the chain is "lucky" or not and you should expect it within 20 pokèmon. However, some people claim to have caught many shinies at 20+. We just need a bigger pool of statistics to understand this, but definitely there are many weird things happening.

razor fire

I have a few questions:
Which route is the best route for chaining?
Is it true that higher chains mean higher IVs?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
I have a few questions:
Which route is the best route for chaining?
Is it true that higher chains mean higher IVs?

Apparently, at 40+, IVs tend to be maxed on something

Bathrezz

Do you need to do 40chains to be eligble for a shiny?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
It can be below, or above 40. Heck, if you're lucky, it'll be on your first try (or you might get your chain broken by a shiny of another pokemon ;p)

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~

No, they could appear as low as a chain of 1, the odds increase as you're chaining up. At 40, the odds are at it's max so you want to stop chaining and reset for a shiny patch.

Bathrezz

No, they could appear as low as a chain of 1, the odds increase as you're chaining up. At 40, the odds are at it's max so you want to stop chaining and reset for a shiny patch.
Oh wow really, that'll help me. I can bearly get to 30 so i'll just keep resetting.

Do not give up, I was starting to feel a bit skeptical, and then I reeled a shiny Clauncher in at a chain of 121. So just keep going and so long as it doesn't break, you should find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.