• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldéen

So I just tried, too, to get more than one shiny patch in one chain.

After reaching a chain of 40, I needed to reset about 30 times in order to get my first shiny patch. Since the chance of getting one is 1/200, I went on and resettet 400 times. I got no second shiny patch. Of course, even with 400 tries that's no guarantee that it's impossible, because 1/200 isn't that great a chance, but it seems quite hard to get a second one. Maybe the game does even reset the chance of getting a shiny after the first one.

Considering this, it definitely does make more sense to build up chains of 40 Pokémon again and again instead of trying to get more than one shiny patch within one chain.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
Another question: Does it work for ANY fishing rod or only the super rod?

Eldéen

Another question: Does it work for ANY fishing rod or only the super rod?

It works with any rod as long as you follow the basic rules.

cwertle

Don't Blink!
Could somebody explain how to chain fish to me?

The Scientist

So I just tried, too, to get more than one shiny patch in one chain.

After reaching a chain of 40, I needed to reset about 30 times in order to get my first shiny patch. Since the chance of getting one is 1/200, I went on and resettet 400 times. I got no second shiny patch. Of course, even with 400 tries that's no guarantee that it's impossible, because 1/200 isn't that great a chance, but it seems quite hard to get a second one. Maybe the game does even reset the chance of getting a shiny after the first one.

Considering this, it definitely does make more sense to build up chains of 40 Pokémon again and again instead of trying to get more than one shiny patch within one chain.

I have heard a couple people saying they got 2 shinies from one chain, but at least one person said they got their chain up to 76 when they got their other shiny. I am wondering if the second shiny was actually on a second chain.

I have heard many more reports of people trying to chain a second shiny with failure than with success. I got mine quickly after a chain of 40, then reset 165+ more times and never got another shiny patch.

Furthermore, given that we know fishing chains break after capturing a pokemon, perhaps the pokeradar also resets after capturing a pokemon, or getting a shiny patch.

Mays

So what spots are people finding that are good? Route 5 and the Pokemon Village are the only viable options for me and I don't want any of the Pokemon they're offering.

Eldéen

I have heard a couple people saying they got 2 shinies from one chain, but at least one person said they got their chain up to 76 when they got their other shiny. I am wondering if the second shiny was actually on a second chain.

I have heard many more reports of people trying to chain a second shiny with failure than with success. I got mine quickly after a chain of 40, then reset 165+ more times and never got another shiny patch.

Furthermore, given that we know fishing chains break after capturing a pokemon, perhaps the pokeradar also resets after capturing a pokemon, or getting a shiny patch.

I really do think that it does. Of course, a hance of 0,5% is not that much, but within 400 resets there should be at least one additional patch. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying it when I'm doing the next chain, maybe I'll get diferent results.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
Could somebody explain how to chain fish to me?

Stand still and keep fishing. You can kill, run or catch the pokemon. Just don't move and don't get your combo to break. If you don't get a nibble or fish too early/late, you start from 1. Tip: Get a pokemon with suction cups as its ability. Good luck on your hunt

kjthek1ng

Guys, is it confirmed that there can be only one shiny path in every chain or hast anyone seen more than one, so far?

I don't have but I think I did read about someone catching 2 shiny pikachus earlier, in this thread. Page 2 I believe it was.

About the records at the computer in Sycamore Labs, what is "Target Record" Does anyone know?

And have i understood right that as long as you encounter the same pokemon each time, it doesn't matter how you come out of the battle (run/fight/capture) ?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
I don't have but I think I did read about someone catching 2 shiny pikachus earlier, in this thread. Page 2 I believe it was.

About the records at the computer in Sycamore Labs, what is "Target Record" Does anyone know?

And have i understood right that as long as you encounter the same pokemon each time, it doesn't matter how you come out of the battle (run/fight/capture) ?
The running is for Chain fishing. Don't know about Pokeradar chaining, as it seems to me way more complicated so I'll be looking more into that once people know what the criteria are as well as the statistics

The Scientist

kfthek1ng: I think the target record is for the Pokemon-of-the-day that the assistant on 2F of Sycamore's lab asks you to find for him. So if he asks you to find Illumise and you get a chain of 24, your target record will be 24.

Did you notice that sometimes the music changes second time after few succesful chains sometimes? It plays very exciting tune as if it would indicate something, but after I go to the next chain, it's just a normal pokemon, not shiny, not with good IV's and after that it changes back to the original Radar tune, so wtf is that music for?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
Also noticed at times there 3 are exclamation marks, instead of 2, when chain fishing. Could this be linked to higher chances of shinies being found? Does anybody find more shinies with (!!!) than (!!)? I'd really like to know

kjthek1ng

when chaining Flabébé, in the yellow flowers outside daycare, you get different colors, not only the color of the flower.

Mega Typhlosion

I've been trying to chain a Bagon, but I getting a lot of trouble. Maximum is 8 only... sometimes I can't even make it 2 or 3, with Drifloons popping out of nowhere. Curiously, my best chains were broken by stupid stuff: a hidden patch I missed and an edge that for some reason broke my chain (most of the edges don't, so I though that mechanic was gone :S)

not589

My friend on Twitter got FIVE shinies by chain fishing in one night!

ebevan91

Can I chain fish from the shore? Or do I need to be in the water?

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
is there something i'm missing when it comes to the Poke Radar? i can never seem to get a chain higher then 3 or so...its always getting broken by i different pokemon or an empty spot, I like to believe i have lots of grass to work in, but i think i'm missing something...

Bathrezz

is there something i'm missing when it comes to the Poke Radar? i can never seem to get a chain higher then 3 or so...its always getting broken by i different pokemon or an empty spot, I like to believe i have lots of grass to work in, but i think i'm missing something...
You're probably going into the wrong grass. You need to walk into the grass that rustles the hardest. If none of the grass rustle hard, walk 50steps and use the radar again to find one. Also, don't go into grass that is directly next to another one, diagonal is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.