• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but when chaining in X and Y, do four patches need to be shaking?

Let's say that only 2 or 3 are shaking, can you just pick the one that matches the type you started in? Or will it break? I've been resetting every time there are less or more than four patches shaking, and it's kinda time consuming.

Edit: Because as far as I knew, there needed to be four when chaining in D/P/Pt

While I'm not sure how harmful, I do know the chance of breaking your chain when entering a patch when less than 4 are shaking is much lower in X/Y. Also, entering the 4-zone patch is no longer necessary. I'd suggest chaining to ~20 at a fast pace, going into any patch that matches the one you started with. Edges seem to be safe too, I've entered about 30 of them and I've yet to see a chain break because of that. When at a chain of 20+ you should be a little more careful, but again, it really doesn't matter wheter it's in the 4-zone or not, though it's best to aim for that whenever possible.

Much like D/P/Pt, chains can break for no reason and there's no way to guarantee your chain will continue, that and the fact it no longer matters what zone your patch is in makes it easier to just run into any patch that matches the one you need and have a few chain breaks every now and then rather than spending an hour to get to 30+ only to see it break for whatever reason.

The Scientist

As for checking your chain record, are we certain that the PC in Sycamore's laboratory is the place? I checked and it said my chain record was 18, which I know to be false since I chained a shiny Croagunk at 40.

While I'm not sure how harmful, I do know the chance of breaking your chain when entering a patch when less than 4 are shaking is much lower in X/Y. Also, entering the 4-zone patch is no longer necessary. I'd suggest chaining to ~20 at a fast pace, going into any patch that matches the one you started with. Edges seem to be safe too, I've entered about 30 of them and I've yet to see a chain break because of that. When at a chain of 20+ you should be a little more careful, but again, it really doesn't matter wheter it's in the 4-zone or not, though it's best to aim for that whenever possible.

Hmm, yeah I read somewhere earlier about not having to be in the 4-zone for it to continue, which is great news. Thanks for the info :D

lokowoko

PokeBreeder
any recommendations to where to use the poke-radar?

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
any recommendations to where to use the poke-radar?

Route 5 and Azure Bay are good locations to improve your chaining abilites because they have large fields, especially the latter.

People that have great experience with chaining can do it just about anywhere. This one guy on Youtube, CRONALDOEE2, is pretty much a legend at it.

dmarchu

I never tried this on Pearl (didn't have the patience to chain) so I am not sure if this works but...

After you get to a chain of 40 and get a shiny, couldn't you in theory get unlimited shinies after that (of the same species off course)? Possibly trade them for other shinies?

Last edited:

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
I never tried this on Pearl (didn't have the patience to chain) so I am not sure if this works but...

After you get to a chain of 40 and get a shiny, couldn't you in theory get unlimited shinies after that (of the same species off course)? Possibly trade them for other shinies?

Sadly, I believe you can only get one shiny patch this gen. After finding my first patch, I resetted for an entire hour without finding another one ;-;

However, it is easier in these games so that's probably why

Honkfish

Given that the new fishing chaining has been found recently and how incredibly easy it is to get shiny water pokemon now (I have 3 myself) I don't really believe that gamefreak would make the poke radar arbitrarily harder for no reason. It is really annoying though since:

-The rules have obviously changed
-We don't know the extent of the changes
-There are almost no grass patches big enough to chain comfortably in
-There is a distinct music change where the tempo increases
-Nobody knows why it happens or what it changes

The only time I managed to get a chain of 40 was the big grass patch south of the cave at the very west end of route 6. I managed to grab a shiny Croagunk while following the Gen 4 radar "rules." I stopped at 40 and got the shiny about 30 minutes later after constantly resetting the radar. I then used up maybe 70 max repels and didn't run into another shiny patch. All I want is a damn shiny Swirlix. Is that so much to ask!

Bathrezz

Evolving a pokemon during chaining does not break the chain. I also just lost a chain by going into a corner, not the boarder grass but corner corner.

Rakurai

Apparently, getting a high chain also causes the Pokemon that appear to be guaranteed to have flawless IVs.

The most you can get is three flawless IVs after a chain of 60.

monkeyman192

simply bored
Finally managed to do a long consecutive fishing chain today. Got 99 in a row.
Found a shiny horsea at about 30ish, but really wanted a shiny skrelp...

Eldéen

Sadly, I believe you can only get one shiny patch this gen. After finding my first patch, I resetted for an entire hour without finding another one ;-;

However, it is easier in these games so that's probably why

Is this really confirmed? Has anyone made the same experience?
If so, chaining is kind of losing its sense for me, after all, even with a synchro Pokémon the chance to get at least the correct nature (won't even talk about IVs) is at 50 %, if there's only one shiny patch per chain...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Chain-fished a shiny Relicanth earlier today at around 20-something in Cyllage City.

Maybe I'll try Azure Bay tomorrow at the debate tournament.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I fish chained a Gyarados, Poliwhirl, Skrelp and Relicanth recently.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
I hate my luck... Chain fished up to 95 and... well, nothing. Any tips for Chain fishing poliwhirls/ In general?

Bathrezz

With fishing whats the strat. Can you flee or do you need to defeat?

thepinguins

Steel Jester
With fishing whats the strat. Can you flee or do you need to defeat?

You need to defeat it. You know there's a page on Serebii that explains the basics, right?

Bathrezz

Okies. I just remember reading someone saying that you can flee.

Edit: The Serebi page does not mention defeating/flee'ing to break streak.

Last edited:
^ Actually, you can run away from the fished Pokémon - that's what I've done and it has still worked.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
^ Actually, you can run away from the fished Pokémon - that's what I've done and it has still worked.

Oh wow, didn't know about that. Thought you had to Capture/KO the pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.