• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
So out of random boredom I decided to try to chain fish in Cyllage after training against a torrent of trainers at the Chateau. I only took my Swalot with Sticky Hold thinking I wouldn't get very far. I ended up reaching a chain of 38 (Highest chain so far) when a Shiny Female Relicanth showed up! I love Shiny Relicanth and that's my second shiny in two days! But word to the wise...ALWAYS take more than just one lv. 28 Swalot when chaining with the Super Rod...and have some potions.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
So do we know by how much chin fishing increases shiny rate. I've been sitting on skype call with my friend for the past three hours. She said she was at around almost 200 and nothing. I can also say i've made it upwards of 120 and nothing.
Does it really raise it at all or are we just the unluckiest people in the world.

I can also say neither of us have talked to the guy that challenges you to a chain, so maybe you do have to talk to him? And if you do I need a refresher of where that is.
It has been explained a dozen times. After a chain of 40 the chance are at its max which is 1/200. You may never get a shiny even with a chain of 400.
Yes it really does raise and yes you are unlucky.
Talking to the fishing tool does not help with anything.

First of all...The person was enquiring about chain "fishing"... not pokeradar chaining which are two completely different things.

Second of all... nobody knows the odds for the pokeradar this generation, it certainly appears that its the same, i.e. at 40 the odds go no higher, it might be completely different from D/P/Plat pokeradar, which from an outside perspective it clearly is... However people aren't getting 20 shinies per chain anymore, which could mean that once you get that first shiny, you can't just reset the radar for dozens more shinies, which means there is possibly a new aspect, perhaps related to the 1 perfect IV per 20 chained.

One thing is for certain though... the whole 40 chain is 1/200 for chain fishing is utter crap... Know what you're talking about before telling people its been explained a dozen times, when if it has, then every explanation has also been utter crap. I and the majority of others have obtained most of our chain fishing shinies, before rod casts have even reached 20(i myself caught 2 shinies on a single chain at 7 & 9 rod casts), heck from all the evidence i've seen posted on these forums in the past week... going beyond a fishing chain of 30 is a waste of time, better to break your chain and start anew.

Last edited:

The Scientist

Regarding the music change for the Pokeradar, my chain did not break the few times I've gotten it. Then, I thought maybe it meant your chances for a shiny patch were higher when the music played, so I reset until the music went away. Never saw a shiny patch during the music, although the music lasted between 1-3 resets.

The Scientist

I just found this thread at gamefaqs that describes someone encountering a shiny patch on a low chain with the alternate music playing- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67699488

At this point, it could easily be a coincidence, but we should try and replicate finding a shiny patch with the fast music.

Excitable Boy- I don't think saving disrupts your chain, but turning off the power should.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Does saving and turning off the power affect a fishing chain?

Saving shouldn't disrupt your chain, but if you shut your 3ds off your chain will break.

Gizmoa

Do we know if fishing chains up the 31 IVs like grass chains do yet?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Regarding the music change for the Pokeradar, my chain did not break the few times I've gotten it. Then, I thought maybe it meant your chances for a shiny patch were higher when the music played, so I reset until the music went away. Never saw a shiny patch during the music, although the music lasted between 1-3 resets.
That's interesting that it remains after a few resets. I've heard that a legendary Pokemon battle (roaming Kanto birds) doesn't break the chain or the music either.
I just found this thread at gamefaqs that describes someone encountering a shiny patch on a low chain with the alternate music playing- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67699488

At this point, it could easily be a coincidence, but we should try and replicate finding a shiny patch with the fast music.

Excitable Boy- I don't think saving disrupts your chain, but turning off the power should.
Yeah, basically it needs testing for a large number of people to see what can be found out about the music.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
still no luck with pokeradar or fishing.....God this sucks, is a shiny Furfrou too much to ask for!!!!!

something else I wondered was whether it was easier to find a shiny in the friend safaris. It seems like a lot of people find their shinies there.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwertle

Don't Blink!
Doing fish chaining, I keep getting overly tense when my chains get high and reeling in early. xD

TheDarkrai

Magic Bounce Espeon!
Doing fish chaining, I keep getting overly tense when my chains get high and reeling in early. xD

Happens to me sooo often.
So, what's everyone's highest fishing chain? I've managed to get to 51, but am still not finding shinies :( Guess I'm just unlucky.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Happens to me sooo often.
So, what's everyone's highest fishing chain? I've managed to get to 51, but am still not finding shinies :( Guess I'm just unlucky.

i strongly believe that the odds don't get any better past 30 because all my shinies (3 so far, shellder, gyarados, and poliwhirl) have been under 40. my highest chain was 148 and that resulted in no shinies and i was pissed because the next time i chained, i found my shiny gyarados in no time.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
i strongly believe that the odds don't get any better past 30 because all my shinies (3 so far, shellder, gyarados, and poliwhirl) have been under 40. my highest chain was 148 and that resulted in no shinies and i was pissed because the next time i chained, i found my shiny gyarados in no time.

I know how you feel, I chained up to I think 114. Then at Chain 27 of my next one, a Shiny Clauncher appeared. Still chaining for Corphish and Carvahna.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I know how you feel, I chained up to I think 114. Then at Chain 27 of my next one, a Shiny Clauncher appeared. Still chaining for Corphish and Carvahna.

right? lol it's a hassle. i was shiny chaining for a shellder because somebody wanted to trade for a shiny clauncher and it popped up at a chain of 7 and i was like "wow that was quick" but i got my shiny clauncher so i was happy. but i do advise to simply restart your chain once past 30.

and also a few tips that helped me for the overly tense :p
put in ear buds and just listen for the ding when you're fishing. don't even look at the screen, close your eyes because when you look, you're more likely to reel it in too quickly. when you're just listening, you react a lot faster and you're a lot less likely to press A on accident.

cwertle

Don't Blink!
and also a few tips that helped me for the overly tense :p
put in ear buds and just listen for the ding when you're fishing. don't even look at the screen, close your eyes because when you look, you're more likely to reel it in too quickly. when you're just listening, you react a lot faster and you're a lot less likely to press A on accident.

Yes, this works very well. I used this trick in animal crossing new leaf to catch sharks. xP

Grr, been chaining for hours and nothing.

Last edited:
My highest chain was 41 but I always get lucky and reel it in early! Yay :(

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Yes, this works very well. I used this trick in animal crossing new leaf to catch sharks. xP

Grr, been chaining for hours and nothing.

i know that feel. i spent an entire day chaining on and off for a gyarados and got nothing. and then one day i just chained for shits and giggles and got my shiny gyarados. let me tell you, shiny M-Gyarados isn't as bad *** looking as non-shiny M-Gyarados.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I got a chain if 137, and then I pressed a right when the exclamation mark popped up, and it said "You reeled in too late!" So disappointed by this, I'm probably never going to chain fish again unless it's just for fun. And PokeRadar chaining seems waaaay too hard just from my experimentation with it, so I guess I'm sticking with Friend Safari for my X and Y shiny Pokemon(gotten 5 from there in 3 days!).

Klay

Titan Tamer
Ive managed to get a shiny Skrelp after a chain of 74! My third shiny from this game (golett and shuppet,got this shiny Mega Banette). Ive used a lvl1 inkay with suction cup while holding Smoke Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.