• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektor

Pokemon Master
Okay was doing this earlier, started with Relicanth, then it turned into a Dragalge. I had a few Dragalges, then the chain broke after like 4 and went back to a Relicanth again. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

-I have Inkay in front of party, it's fainted though, but it should still work
-I'm standing in the same place on the water
-I'm running from the battles
-After I run, I press Y, then the left button to go to the super rod
-Immediately press A, haven't gotten a too fast, slow, or etc message yet

Why is the chain breaking/pokemon changing?

Have you made sure it has the ability suction cups?

Kreayshawn

Have you made sure it has the ability suction cups?

Yes it is. But even if it wasn't doesn't that only effect the rod and how you get a bite everytime, not what kind of Pokemon you catch?

Spektor

Pokemon Master
Yes it is. But even if it wasn't doesn't that only effect the rod and how you get a bite everytime, not what kind of Pokemon you catch?

To my knowledge, but correct me if im wrong, this is how it works

Pokemon first in your party needs ability suction cups. Helps if you make it hold the smoke ball item so you dont have to faint it. It will help it run from the pokemon you encounter. As for the pokemon you encounter, it wont be the same one all the time. Your chain does not break if you encounter a different one in the next bite. just keep fishing with out a miss and eventually you will encounter a shiny. From what ive read, some people just restart the chain if its going to high.

Kreayshawn

To my knowledge, but correct me if im wrong, this is how it works

Pokemon first in your party needs ability suction cups. Helps if you make it hold the smoke ball item so you dont have to faint it. It will help it run from the pokemon you encounter. As for the pokemon you encounter, it wont be the same one all the time. Your chain does not break if you encounter a different one in the next bite. just keep fishing with out a miss and eventually you will encounter a shiny. From what ive read, some people just restart the chain if its going to high.

oh okay. I get it now.

Duk

Quick question guys for those of you who have found a shiny in Friend Safari. Do you faint the pokemon or run when looking for shinnies?

In the Friend Safari, I ran every time. My shiny Audino from there may have just been dumb luck. I was actually Compound Eyes and Frisking Chansey's (for lucky eggs) ... and running if I didn't find what I was looking for. After about an hour (give or take) the Shiny Audino appeared. Like I said, coulda just been dumb luck. If not, well, running seemed to work?

------------------------------

I wanted to make a short post about my fishing results. I chained 168 before I ran out of gas this time. Here's my results ... each digit representing a bite and each (*) digit representing a shiny. For the record, I ran from every battle and never moved from my spot, saved or changed screens.

12345(6*)7890

(1*)234567890

I seem to be getting my shiny hits fairly early ... usually within the first 20 to 30 bites. After that, it seemingly takes FOREVER for the next shiny to surface. Occasionally I've gotten 3 shiny pokes within a 120 chain period. Usually it goes like that posted above though. Not sure if this helps anyone. Just wanted to add my results to the record.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Pokeradar...SUCKS!!! I was at a pretty good chain for Sliggoo and I went to a safe patch, and well mr. Drapion would like to break my GOD damn chain! x( I think I will stick to Chain Fishing for a while.

alakazam^

Has anyone tried chaining in patches other than the louder rustling ones? There might be some differences.

Also, I'm not really convinced we can't catch more than one shiny per chain. I mean, chaining isn't easier than it was in Gen4 and catching shinies by consecutive fishing doesn't end its chain. It's easy to think only one shiny pokemon can be caught per chain but, sometimes, shinies just take hours to appear. Add that to people getting tired and guessing it's impossible and as the word gets passed around, people start trying less and less.

It would be a really dick move since we now can chain while fishing (rather easily) and start completing a shiny dex.

alakazam^

I was checking my chained Shinies and all of them have amazing stats, at least two max IVs. I also checked some abras I chained and caught before for synchronize and I found they have better stats if they were caught higher on the chain.

So that's what I'm thinking now: they created a clause of only 1 caught shiny per chain. But they added new features for chaining allowing you to get better wild pokemons as high as you achieve the chain. So that way, you won't need lots of shinies to search one with good genes. In fact, it's posible that you could get a better shiny in a chain of 50, than in a 40-chain. That's probably why the Game allows you to see more shiny patches if you didn't catch the previous shiny.

I'm going to chain again in a good spot and catch pokemons of +50 chains to see if their IV values are improved further.
People have reported that every 20 chains, 1 IV gets maxed, for a total of 3.

degausser

In the Cookie Jar
The PokeRadar is driving me mental. My highest chain was high 30s before I stepped in a wrong patch. Usually I only get 10-15 before I make an error.
Chain fishing is fine but theres only so many shiny remoraids and poliwhirls one person needs. I've found most times I get a shiny in under 50 casts so it is definitely easier.

Bathrezz

I'm personally finding yellow flowers to be much more easily differentiated from the weak flowers and the good ones.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I was just wondering why I got "Not even a nibble" even though I have a Suction Cups Octillery at the front. I'm not really complaining as I already caught a Shiny Magikarp from that chain, but I was trying to go for a higher number.

luigiis

Luck of Penguins
I'm feel frustrated when trying to do Pokeradar chaining. I come so far then I mess up in some point. :(
(Accidently pressed Roller Skates, accidently stepping out of the grass areas, wrong pokemon appearing, and no pokemon appearing at all.)

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I was just wondering why I got "Not even a nibble" even though I have a Suction Cups Octillery at the front. I'm not really complaining as I already caught a Shiny Magikarp from that chain, but I was trying to go for a higher number.

Suction cups only ups the chance of finding them, it's not fail safe, as it's not guaranteed it'll bite.

kjthek1ng

Anyone knows if higher fishing chains, forces higher IVs like 20,40 and 60 chains of radar?

wingman32x

So after getting to 40 and failing with Pancham last night, I returned to route 5 to try again.

Tonight's target was Skiddo. on my first attempt, I got up to 40, but I stupidly ran one square too far and accidentally stepped into a decoy patch.

I tried again and got a chain of Skiddo to 40 again. This time, I finally succeeded and walked away with a shiny Skiddo! The game didn't make it easy, though. It took a pretty long time for the shiny patch to appear. Also, I swear the game was trying hard to troll me. There were numerous times where decoy patches appeared directly behind/next to my character. I had to stay on my toes the entire time.

I'm still kind of bummed that I hit the sweet spot 3 times and only got one shiny from it. Especially given the stupid ways the other two broke. I'm very happy, though. Very tired, but happy.

alakazam^

I'm feel frustrated when trying to do Pokeradar chaining. I come so far then I mess up in some point. :(
(Accidently pressed Roller Skates, accidently stepping out of the grass areas, wrong pokemon appearing, and no pokemon appearing at all.)

Stepping out of the grass doesn't break the chain.

Anyone knows a good spot for chaining in the early forest? The camera angle is killing me...

Kind of off-topic but do Zigzagoons hold itens? I've stolen from several of them with Compound Eyes and nothing...

Kreayshawn

I'll try this later. I had no luck in D/P but I hope it's better this time.

Is 40 the max you can chain up to before it fails?

REN3GADE

YES! Just chained a shiny Seaking. Downside is it's a female, so it's more of a Seaqueen, but I couldn't be happier. Made so many rookie mistakes of pulling the rod in too early cause I got spooked.

This marks my first shiny in Gen VI, my first chained shiny ever and the third shiny I've caught myself :D

EDIT: Does finding/catching a shiny break a chain fishing streak?

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Just caught myself a shiny Dragalge, over the moon.

Question though... I know pokeradar chaining gets a pokemon higher IVs, but does chain fishing do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.