• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astarael

The only chaining I can do really in VI is fish chaining,
I haven't been lucky with actually using Pokeradar.
I've tried using Gen IV's swarm because... you know swarms are more common and thus the perfect targets for chaining, no such luck here.
With the decoy patches, it's annoying, not as annoying as the fact in Gen IV you had a way to count your chain onscreen and in VI you have to memorize the times you've encountered a Pokemon.
Otherwise, fish chaining is the easiest, doesn't have a lot of targets... but... it's interesting.

I'm pretty sure that decoy patches never occur in the patches four tiles away from your character, which is another reason to select the shaking bushes that are as far away as possible. Chaining by fishing definitely is easier though.

To check where I'm at in a chain while using the radar, I just count the number of times certain moves have been made by my lead Pokemon (and then add any Pokemon that I've caught while chaining to that count).

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
I was extremelyyyyy lucky yesterday c:

I managed to get a chain of 40 on my first chaining set and snagged a Shiny Furfrou. Then, later, I decided to give chain fishing another try, and after a couple chain resets, I got a Shiny Shellder [with a critical capture] on chain 5

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
Can anyone confirm whether chain fishing works or not? and if so what do i need to do it exactly? I'm just unsure and don't wanna spend tons of time experimenting with something that can already be known

Grey Wind

Can anyone confirm whether chain fishing works or not? and if so what do i need to do it exactly? I'm just unsure and don't wanna spend tons of time experimenting with something that can already be known
It definitely works. An NPC even mentions that you can find "rare Pokemon" if your chain is high enough.

This page tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

alakazam^

Definitely works. You just need to stay in one spot and never move from it while fishing. You can run from the wild pokemons and different pokemon appearing don't end the chain.

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
Thanks a ton guys :D

jonnyc

I can't seem to get more than 5 Pokemon in a row in chain fishing, with a Suction Cups Octillery for guaranteed encounters. Any help?

EDIT: Okay, never mind. Apparently encountering something else doesn't break the chain?

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
I heard that you can run from the pokemon and it keeps your chain going? is this true? (this is for chain fishing)

CamelPK

Shiny Hunter
I heard that you can run from the pokemon and it keeps your chain going? is this true? (this is for chain fishing)
Chain Fishing yes, poke radar no.

Neji-and-Pidgeot

how far in the game do you have to be to chain fish?

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
I cannot for the life of me even get a chain of 10 on PokeRadar. Yes I try getting everything correct and even in good spots I can't do it. Man.
Chain Fishing is INCREDIBLY easy, though. Got a Shiny Skrelp in 30-45 minutes (wanted a Horsea instead, but shiny Skrelp looks pretty sweet).

how far in the game do you have to be to chain fish?
Probably just when you get any rod, though I'm not sure how well the Old Rod works. I use the Good Rod, though, so you can probably get to it moderately early in the game.

I got a female shiny Litleo last night through chaining! Timid nature too, just what I wanted! I didn't have a synch or anything, just a cute charmer. She's really cute. I wish shiny Pyroar had more of a... stark difference though. And she still has a ketchup and mustard mane. :S Oh well, though. I got her at around a chain of 28. I was really surprised! I also happened to get the strange Radar music right before finding the patch, but I don't think it was related. Saying just in case, though.

confuser987

I got a female shiny Litleo last night through chaining! Timid nature too, just what I wanted! I didn't have a synch or anything, just a cute charmer. She's really cute. I wish shiny Pyroar had more of a... stark difference though. And she still has a ketchup and mustard mane. :S Oh well, though. I got her at around a chain of 28. I was really surprised! I also happened to get the strange Radar music right before finding the patch, but I don't think it was related. Saying just in case, though.

Was the music lively? Also the patch you entered, was it a shiny patch or a regular patch? Did you also hear the "bing" when a shiny patch pops up?

1. Yes lol. That's what I meant by strange Radar music.
2. It was a shiny patch.
3. Yes.

That being said, I don't really think that music has anything to do with shinies. Just thought I'd post that I got that alternate Radar music right before I found it. The other two times I got a shiny patch in a chain, the music was the normal Radar music.

The Scientist

Super Pichu chan- The going theory on the upbeat tempo is that it increases your shiny chances temporarily. When you caught your other shinies with normal music, were they at a chain of 40 or more?

And Ghostdog- no.

Yes, that could be. Yeah, those other ones were at 40.

It could be a temporarily increase. It must mean something at the very least, or else it probably wouldn't exist haha

Mi-tan

I cannot for the life of me even get a chain of 10 on PokeRadar. Yes I try getting everything correct and even in good spots I can't do it. Man.
I have the same issue! Tried for a while tonight, thought I was getting a good chain of Scatterbug going, and instead kept getting interrupted by Weedle. The same thing happened with Skiddo (Furfrou) and Fletchling (one of those monkey things). I even made sure to reset the radar a few times to keep away from the patches I knew would break the chain, but I'd say my longest chain was about 5-6 in all. I'll be honest, I was quite excited for chaining after all I read about it (and since I hadn't done it ever before), but the experience is a lot more tedious and unfruitful than I thought it would be. I don't think it's for me xD

I'm going to try for some chain fishing tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe if I get more than one shiny of the same Pokemon, I can trade it for some others! xD

alakazam^

I have the same issue! Tried for a while tonight, thought I was getting a good chain of Scatterbug going, and instead kept getting interrupted by Weedle. The same thing happened with Skiddo (Furfrou) and Fletchling (one of those monkey things). I even made sure to reset the radar a few times to keep away from the patches I knew would break the chain, but I'd say my longest chain was about 5-6 in all. I'll be honest, I was quite excited for chaining after all I read about it (and since I hadn't done it ever before), but the experience is a lot more tedious and unfruitful than I thought it would be. I don't think it's for me xD

I'm going to try for some chain fishing tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe if I get more than one shiny of the same Pokemon, I can trade it for some others! xD
Make sure you aren't mistaking patches.

alakazam^

Yes, that could be. Yeah, those other ones were at 40.

It could be a temporarily increase. It must mean something at the very least, or else it probably wouldn't exist haha

Did you try checking the IVs of the shiny you caught during the weird music?

Status
Not open for further replies.