• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
My experience with the uptempo music change tonight:
It first happened while chaining for shiny Trevenant. The change came about, and I ran into a wildly rustling bush. Normal Trevenant. The music ended and my chain continued.

Shortly after my Trevenant chain died prematurely at 16, I went for Noctowl. The change came about again. I ran into what I thought was the correctly shaking bush directly in front of me, but normal Jigglypuff appeared. I killed it. Chain ended.

Both occurred early on in the chain, at 3 or 4. They've occurred previously several times during my early chaining attempts, but nothing noteworthy came from it.
--
... on a different note, I really suck at chaining. I have all the rules pretty well solidified by now, it's just I'm very bad at distinguishing the right grass tiles, especially when I get deeper into the chain. I've tried for hours and hours, but the furthest I've gotten was 33 or so. I've tried going by the pitch of the rustle, but it gets very confusing when three or four grass tiles shake simultaneously. I will never get that shiny Trevenant ._.

13mjvr

Breeder
Final Results of Testing

I ended my testing chains of Inkays and Dittos, and I corroborated the following:

- Chain of 100 Inkays: Almost all of them between 60-100 Chain have at least 3 max IVs, some few of them 4 by normal chances for a stat. I caught 2 shiny Inkay at chain #40 and #81.

-Chain of 100 Dittos: Same, all of them had at least 3 max IVs between 60-100 chain. Shinies quickly appeared by resetting the pokeradar at #40 and #81.

Furthermore, some aspects I also noticed while Chaining:

- We had 4 shaking patches in the old system (According to the Chaining Grid: one for 1-away Zone, one for 2-away, one for 3-away, and one for 4-away). Now, we are dealing with 5 shaking patches in total (The same as before, plus one decoy patch which always appears in the 1-away/2-away/3-away Zone, never in the 4-away zone). It's crucial to identify the decoy patch, specially when it's a 3-away decoy, it can be mistaken for a 4-away patch.

- There are three types of grasses as others stated here. The Violent Shaking Patch has the higher chance for continuing your chain, because decoy patches never shake violently and Violent patches are easier to hear and notice. Violent Shaking Patch is very similar to the Yellow Sparkly Patch from the old system.

- I developed a theory years ago that showed when 4-away patch was not the safest one, because the high probability was transfered to the other zones according to some "Patterns". I knew when to enter to the 1-away, 2-away and 3-away zone, in the old generation, for continuing my chain successfully. However, in this generation, the decoy patch makes it difficult to recognize those patterns, so I've been entering the 4-away Zone exclusively, and I'm having 100% success in my chains. Of course, I often reset the pokeradar when I feel breaking patterns for 4-away appear. Instinct....

- Probabilities for continuing your chain in borders are the same as before. If you enter a right patch in the mid-border of a good grass zone, so your Grid is cut in half, and defeat the wild pokemon, your chance of continuing the chain is: 96%. But, if you decide to enter a safe 4-away patch at the edge/corner of the Grid, the chance for continuing the chain falls fown to 78% which makes it risky. The 96% of probability is a good value for me so I'm still entering in patches at the appropiate borders. This can be applied in Azure Bay or Route 5 where the grass is of a good proportion. However.... this game gives us about 95% of horrible places for chaining.... where your chances of continuing a chain after entering a patch in borders is reduced drastically. Sucessful chains in those places require some kind of mastery in playing with "Half of the Chaining Grid", in other words, to know where to place yourself to reset the pokeradar and which borders have the higher chances of continuing your chain, because waiting for the perfect 4-away patch (not in the border + Violent Shaking) can take too long, so it's necessary to risk early on the chain. (#2-25).

Hope this info helps. Finally, the Shiny Adamant Ditto with 4 max IVs that I caught at chain #81. :D

131111074153164927.jpg

Last edited:

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
I ended my testing chains of Inkays and Dittos, and I corroborated the following:

- Chain of 100 Inkays: Almost all of them between 60-100 Chain have at least 3 max IVs, some few of them 4 by normal chances for a stat. I caught 2 shiny Inkay at chain #40 and #81.

-Chain of 100 Dittos: Same, all of them had at least 3 max IVs between 60-100 chain. Shinies quickly appeared by resetting the pokeradar at #40 and #81.

Furthermore, some aspects I also noticed while Chaining:

- We had 4 shaking patches in the old system (According to the Chaining Grid: one for 1-away Zone, one for 2-away, one for 3-away, and one for 4-away). Now, we are dealing with 5 shaking patches in total (The same as before, plus one decoy patch which always appears in the 1-away/2-away/3-away Zone, never in the 4-away zone). It's crucial to identify the decoy patch, specially when it's a 3-away decoy, it can be mistaken for a 4-away patch.

- There are three types of grasses as others stated here. The Violent Shaking Patch has the higher chance for continuing your chain, because decoy patches never shake violently and Violent patches are easier to hear and notice. Violent Shaking Patch is very similar to the Yellow Sparkly Patch from the old system.

- I developed a theory years ago that showed when 4-away patch was not the safest one, because the high probability was transfered to the other zones according to some "Patterns". I knew when to enter to the 1-away, 2-away and 3-away zone, in the old generation, for continuing my chain successfully. However, in this generation, the decoy patch makes it difficult to recognize those patterns, so I've been entering the 4-away Zone exclusively, and I'm having 100% success in my chains. Of course, I often reset the pokeradar when I feel breaking patterns for 4-away appear. Instinct....

- Probabilities for continuing your chain in borders are the same as before. If you enter a right patch in the mid-border of a good grass zone, so your Grid is cut in half, and defeat the wild pokemon, your chance of continuing the chain is: 96%. But, if you decide to enter a safe 4-away patch at the edge/corner of the Grid, the chance for continuing the chain falls fown to 78% which makes it risky. The 96% of probability is a good value for me so I'm still entering in patches at the appropiate borders. This can be applied in Azure Bay or Route 5 where the grass is of a good proportion. However.... this game gives us about 95% of horrible places for chaining.... where your chances of continuing a chain after entering a patch in borders is reduced drastically. Sucessful chains in those places require some kind of mastery in playing with "Half of the Chaining Grid", in other words, to know where to place yourself to reset the pokeradar and which borders have the higher chances of continuing your chain, because waiting for the perfect 4-away patch (not in the border + Violent Shaking) can take too long, so it's necessary to risk early on the chain. (#2-25).

Hope this info helps. Finally, the Shiny Adamant Ditto with 4 max IVs that I caught at chain #81. :D

131111074153164927.jpg

Good post.

These tips are really good. I fully back the idea of playing a little bit risky (but intelligently of course) early on in the chain. Once I get to 25 I go into lockdown mode - no silly mistakes and I use strict rule following. So the first 25 can go by quickly and the last 15 can be a little more time consuming but it's not boring as you know you are getting close to the goal. Counting your chain should be easy, guys. Just use the pp of your lead pokemon (make sure it was healed before starting and has 40pp worth of one hit ko moves available at least). Get at least 100 super repels so you are not discouraged from resetting (other repels aren't economical so cost more money. Supers work out the cheapest per step).

Also, after chaining for a while, I found that I just got a good instinct for what a good set of patches was. You need to fail a few times to spot the bad patch sets. If I see a bad set, my alarm bells ring and I reset. It's really intuitive and hard to explain. It's a case of practice makes perfect and also having an understanding of the rules. Don't be discouraged from failing. You will need to try maybe a dozen times before it clicks. Get prepared, go to the area you are chaining, use a super repel, save and go for it! If the chain gets messed up, soft reset the 3ds and retry. It can be done, I went from noob to pro in literally an hour.

Last edited:

alakazam^

Another new change is that, after battle, there is a slim chance that the music will change to a more up-beat music. When this occurs, there is a higher chance of encountering a Shiny Pokémon.
Serebii update. Nice touch :D

Last edited:

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
Serebii update. Nice touch :D

Ahaha, I was literally about to see if anyone had mentioned this yet. Thank Arceus for the Japanese guide uncovering the mystery for us....most people had predicted this was the purpose of the music.

BL00p

I have a question. When I tried using poke radar the other day to catch a shiny furfrou, upbeat music starting playing at about the 19th chain. I walked into the patch of grass that I am sure was shaking the most but no shiny appeared. Did I miss my opportunity at catching a shiny? Also, does that music play when the shiny grass shakes or does the regular PokeRadar music play when a shiny grass shakes? PokeRadar has me confused. :?

vedil

I do liek mudkipz.
I noticed that the less I stress about it and the more freely I walk into the patches, the longer my chains are, haha. Everytime I try to be a perfectionist and stress out I break them easily... so I guess, we all should try to risk once in a while when chaining. :)

Fieora

I'm getting so annoyed with the Radar now =/
I keep getting my chain to around 30... and then I step into the same type of shaking grass, same noise, same visualisation, never next to another patch, and always 4 steps away... and it breaks. I've not been able to get over 34 for the last three days... (Sadly 34 is the highest I've gotten ever)
I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong to break the chain that close to shinyville ;_;

Jack5326

I've had mixed luck so far with Chain Fishing yet haven't managed to try PokeRadar yet - I've been so busy!

In terms of fishing, I've caught 3 shinies so far. Was hoping for a Poliwhirl or Dragonair in Route 21 (?) and ended up with a Shiny Basculin, which is the worst thing ever in terms of shiny Pokemon. I even preferred the Shiny Luvdisc I also caught, at least that drastically changes colour! Caught those on chains of 33 and 28. I also got a Shiny Qwilfish on a chain of 11. It's been a mixed bag though as I chained at one point up to 126 and got absolutely nothing and then I pulled in too slow. I was gutted!

alakazam^

I have a question. When I tried using poke radar the other day to catch a shiny furfrou, upbeat music starting playing at about the 19th chain. I walked into the patch of grass that I am sure was shaking the most but no shiny appeared. Did I miss my opportunity at catching a shiny? Also, does that music play when the shiny grass shakes or does the regular PokeRadar music play when a shiny grass shakes? PokeRadar has me confused. :?
The guidebook says the music improves the chances of a shiny appearing, but it doesn't mean a shiny will 100% appear. The normal music plays when the shiny patch appears, although I think it's possible to get a shiny patche with the upbeat music but either way you'll hear a sound effect when that happens.

vedil

I do liek mudkipz.
So, I chained up to 40 and caught a shiny Skiddo! :) It's a girl though, so I am going to continue, I really want a male one. Let's see how far can I get and what will be with the IVs, too.

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
So anyone know where this guide is, and when it will be translated? :D

I've only seen scans from the guidebook across the net and they're all the same. I'm sure all the noteworthy info will be translated and compiled at some point.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
So is the More up-beat music have a higher chance to get a shiny than after a chain of 40?

TheBluePorygon

i miss the old kanye
I had really bad luck with fishing chaining, getting chains of 175+ before accidently breaking them and getting nothing. My luck changed when i got a shiny clauncher at a chain of 14

Jack5326

Just encountered another Shiny Basculin on Route 21. Wasn't really counting the chain but it was about 25 I think. Anyway, as my Octillery with Suction Cups had fainted, my Delphox was next in my party. I hit it with a Flamethrower and then it used Double Edge, putting it right in the red. Then I forgot I had Rocky Helmet attached to Delphox (I'd done that for the Battle Maison) and then the Basculin fainted. Not even bothered though in the slightest ha. If it was Dragonair, then I'd have been angry!

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
So is the More up-beat music have a higher chance to get a shiny than after a chain of 40?

Since the data of the games hasn't been fully decrypted, we won't know exact figures on this. Guidebooks never do this, sadly. I can do some testing since I'm fairly good at chaining.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
I've heard the upbeat music 10+ times, and nothing came from it.

However...
after a tragically failed chain of Noctowl at 32, I lackadaisically began a brand new chain of, again, Noctowl, because I have the worst luck finding Trevenant in violently shaking grass. The first three or four chains I just walked into the biggest patch right next to my character because I was tired and didn't care anymore. It didn't come as a surprise when I saw Trevenant's silhouette, but what really came as a super dooper awesome amazingly swell surprise was that it was SHINY. Oh the Shiny Lords took pity on me at last.

Anyway, I walked into the grass too quickly to notice any change in music, but if the music did change, that may very well be why shiny Trevenant revealed itself. Or, I just got lucky. Except I'm never lucky. It could be that walking into the patch nearest to you boosts your odds, even if you're technically at risk of breaking your chain.

kjthek1ng

Once i decided to see what happened if i went into edge-bushes. It often keeps the chain up if you get the most ruslting bush, you can also reset radar. But if you go from an Edge to another edge-bush, your chain will break. Not sure if just stating the obvious or something people wasn't quite fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.