• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

outburs

So has there been any word on the odds of running into shiny pokemon in friend safari? I've caught 9 shinies in the game so far 7 of which were from safari.

jesz_

Stay Sassy
Seems I was just not meant to find my own shiny in this game.

Multiple fishing chains of 100+ & can't seem to chain past about 7 with the radar.
Following the guide as best I can, I also still get nothing biting sometimes even with Suction Cups active.

(✖╭╮✖)

Anyone have a statistic for getting a shiny through SR?

Edit: Finally fished up a shiny Relicanth somewhere between a 30-50 chain ^__^

Last edited:

IndigoAir

Myth Hunter
A couple days ago I spent a few hours looking for a shiny Staryu. Complete waste of time. Got a chain of 136 and have three immensely disappointing shiny Clauncher instead.

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer
Seems I was just not meant to find my own shiny in this game.

Multiple fishing chains of 100+ & can't seem to chain past about 7 with the radar.
Following the guide as best I can, I also still get nothing biting sometimes even with Suction Cups active.

(✖╭╮✖)

Anyone have a statistic for getting a shiny through SR?

Edit: Finally fished up a shiny Relicanth somewhere between a 30-50 chain ^__^

I'm not sure if the Snorlax can be shiny, but I don't think any of the Pokemon other than the starters are possible to SR shiny. If you could though it'd be 1/4092, same as the wild chance

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Woah, 1/4092? Is that official or just speculation? There does seem to be more shinies this generation, but 1/4092 is twice the odds of every other game.

i believe someone had done the math on the odds and its highly likely the odds have been doubled. i could be wrong but im pretty sure i read that somewhere

Fozzie

King of the Gingers
If you chain 40 fishing 'mons with chain fishing for max chance, can you go into the grass and catch a shiny?
Because I moved from my fishing spot, and moved to another, and instantly got a Shiny Clamperl first try.

i believe someone had done the math on the odds and its highly likely the odds have been doubled. i could be wrong but im pretty sure i read that somewhere

I saw that Serebii posted those odds on his X/Y Shiny page, so there must be a decent amount of evidence to support it. That's pretty crazy that the game designers would just double it, I wonder if they changed the Masuda Method odds as well. I'm also curious what the official odds of the Friend Safari will be, as a ton of people are having a lot of luck with those too.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
No luck with my Abra yet, but I did manage to get a shiny female Skiddo. A shiny patch showed up on my 27th chain :D

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I saw that Serebii posted those odds on his X/Y Shiny page, so there must be a decent amount of evidence to support it. That's pretty crazy that the game designers would just double it, I wonder if they changed the Masuda Method odds as well. I'm also curious what the official odds of the Friend Safari will be, as a ton of people are having a lot of luck with those too.

i think its prettt cool because the way i look at it, its now a lot easier to find shinies but its still a challenge, yet the ideal way to get a shiny is through masuda method which is probably gonna seem a lot more like a hassle than it used to.

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
I thought it just meant Random Encounter (No chaining, MM breeding, or anything), and that they were just boasting. :p

By the way, where's better to chain for Scatterbug? Route 2 or Santalune Forest?

I think that is what it means. For me, it's less about boasting and more about the fact that I'm no expert with the other methods :p

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer

It's all technical coding stuff, but I'll try to explain to the best of my knowledge. Well, you probably already know a Pokemon's shininess is determined by their Shiny ID vs the player's shiny ID, if these are the same it will result in a shiny. In the older games the number that determines if a Pokemon was Shiny was 0 - 7, so 8 rolls. In X and Y the number can be from 0 - 15, 16 rolls. Thus doubling chances.

The Scientist

This is a minor point, but if the new shiny chances are indeed doubled, they should be 1/4096, not 1/4092 as everyone's been saying. 2/8192 = 1/4096.

It's all technical coding stuff, but I'll try to explain to the best of my knowledge. Well, you probably already know a Pokemon's shininess is determined by their Shiny ID vs the player's shiny ID, if these are the same it will result in a shiny. In the older games the number that determines if a Pokemon was Shiny was 0 - 7, so 8 rolls. In X and Y the number can be from 0 - 15, 16 rolls. Thus doubling chances.

Great way to explain the mechanic, thanks for that. I saw somewhere that a group of people figured out a way to determine their save file character's "Shiny Value", along with the SV of unhatched eggs. When the value of an egg matches the SV of a member of the community, the player with the egg trades it to the match. The matching SV character hatches the egg (it will be shiny when it hatches on the particular save file it was transferred to) and then that player trades the pokemon back to the original player. I found that pretty interesting, a lot of trust involved.

Doobius

caught me 3 shinies today via chain fishing and then walked into the safari and 1st poke was a shiny.

Hyper27

Hyper27
I just caught a Shiny Clauncher Relaxed Nature after a chain of 73 through chain fishing near the upper left corner of cyllage city near some rock! I went till a chain of 93 then lost it. Was using suction cups Octillery (was fainted) as lead. False Swipe Drapion and Sing Chatot did the rest. Is it possible to do synchronize + suction cups btw?

alakazam^

Been training at Ambrette Town's shore and got shiny horseas and Clauncher/Clawitzer. Looking for shiny Relicanth but until it shows up, I fill my dex :p

pikachu54549

Just wondering, for chain fishing do you have to use the same rod, or can they be different? Because I would like to find two shinies, but one needs a good rod and the other needs a super rod :)

Status
Not open for further replies.