• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbreon17

I must be pretty bad at chain fishing then. I couldn't get any higher than 19 and that was with a luvdisc. Anyone have any tips? :/

professorj15

I pulled off a chain in one of the smallest patches ever (or so it seemed) but after a chain of 40, I managed to snag a shiny Tauros! It's gorgeous. It also took me forever because I played it safe, maybe only venturing to an edge once or twice while vowing never to do so again. I still hope to chain for Hawlucha, Houndour, and Scyther.

ETA: Umbreon17, lead with a pokemon with suction cups, fish as near a rock as you possibly can, and rely on your ears to hear the "you got a bite" sound.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Chaining w/ Poke radar is... difficult. :(

I couldn't pass 25... I feel like there's too many gimmicks. I tried hard to learn the patterns & the new rules but still...
I chained a lot in Gen IV, and was quite good at it, but this new chaining mechanic seems... I can't even know what to say...

Does the upbeat music even mean/help anything? I know the chain is boosted to 40 but it seems the shiny patch is rarely seen so its kinda useless...
Sometimes the decoyed patches appear in heavily shaking grasses, although mostly in slowly ones...
And edged patches are not safe... (my chain broke a lot there).

I've been chaining for almost a week + REing in Safari but haven't blessed w/ any early shinies... I guess it a tough luck for me...

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Chaining w/ Poke radar is... difficult. :(

I couldn't pass 25... I feel like there's too many gimmicks. I tried hard to learn the patterns & the new rules but still...
I chained a lot in Gen IV, and was quite good at it, but this new chaining mechanic seems... I can't even know what to say...

Does the upbeat music even mean/help anything? I know the chain is boosted to 40 but it seems the shiny patch is rarely seen so its kinda useless...
Sometimes the decoyed patches appear in heavily shaking grasses, although mostly in slowly ones...
And edged patches are not safe... (my chain broke a lot there).

I've been chaining for almost a week + REing in Safari but haven't blessed w/ any early shinies... I guess it a tough luck for me...

patience is key as well as stern self-discipline when it comes to following the mechanics and rules. ive gotten 5 shinies from the radar including roselia, croagunk, skorupi, klefki, and phantump. its not easy at first but once you teach yourself ro really really follow the rules and make absolutely no exception, you will find success. and its an amazing feeling because its giving you an opportunity to get something rare that you want that you still have to make an effort to get. i havent chained in weeks as ive been shiny breeding, but i plan on going for a shint flabébé next!

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
I ah e been chain fishing for a long while now but still no magikarp :-/ any tips on where the best way to fish for one is? I have suction cups at lead

Neji-and-Pidgeot

I managed to get a shiny seaking not to long ago while looking for one for my pokedex. It only took a chain of 5.

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
so is there any way to keep track of how many pokemon you've chained? Is it the exact same mechanics as 4th gen? Does merbear's guide still work the best? Does catching pokemon continue a chain?

MadMarchHare

Amphabulous
I can't seem to get a chain higher than 10... I go into what I think is the correct patch of grass, but the chain will break. :/ Just can't tell the difference between the shaking grass half the time.

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
after reading the first few pages I'm surprised there's still no solid guide to chaining.

Here's what I've figured out so far since no one else is helping:

1) Buy tons of repels, heal all your pokemon, buy lots of pokeballs, and get the pokeradar in lumiose city in the lab.
2) Go to a route that has a big patch of grass (still not sure what areas have big patches).
3) Use a repel and make sure the first pokemon in your party is a higher level than the wild pokemon in that route. Then use your pokeradar. Focus on how the bushes shake, and go into one. Defeat the pokemon or catch it. Running away breaks your chain.
4) After the battle ends, the bushes will shake. This is where I need help. So far what I've noticed is that a max of 5 bushes can shake at the same time, whereas in gen 4, only 4 bushes shook. In addition, the bushes don't always shake in the 1, 2, 3, or 4 range. In this gen, multiple bushes sometimes shake in the same range.

Here's how some bushes shook when I was chaining last night. The X is the trainer. The yellow spots are where the bushes shook. There were 2 bushes that shook in the 1 range. This never happened in 4th gen. Also, DO NOT GO ON THE EDGE! Every time I have battled on the edge, my chain breaks. This didn't always happen in gen 4. There is no way to keep track of how many pokemon you have chained, and no way to tell right away if your chain breaks which is super annoying. There are also random pokemon that will break your chain. Last night I was chaining scatterbug, and a weedle popped up in a spot that didn't shake. That was annoying too. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my highest chain is a 6, whereas in 4th gen I could get into the 70's or higher easily every single time.

4321X1234

Goedjuh

Arrgghh this is so frustrating... i can't have a chain more than 25 or something... Can please anybody give usefull tips how to see the difference between the highest shaking patch of grass and the middle shaking patch?

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
after reading the first few pages I'm surprised there's still no solid guide to chaining.

Here's what I've figured out so far since no one else is helping:

1) Buy tons of repels, heal all your pokemon, buy lots of pokeballs, and get the pokeradar in lumiose city in the lab.
2) Go to a route that has a big patch of grass (still not sure what areas have big patches).
3) Use a repel and make sure the first pokemon in your party is a higher level than the wild pokemon in that route. Then use your pokeradar. Focus on how the bushes shake, and go into one. Defeat the pokemon or catch it. Running away breaks your chain.
4) After the battle ends, the bushes will shake. This is where I need help. So far what I've noticed is that a max of 5 bushes can shake at the same time, whereas in gen 4, only 4 bushes shook. In addition, the bushes don't always shake in the 1, 2, 3, or 4 range. In this gen, multiple bushes sometimes shake in the same range.

Here's how some bushes shook when I was chaining last night. The X is the trainer. The yellow spots are where the bushes shook. There were 2 bushes that shook in the 1 range. This never happened in 4th gen. Also, DO NOT GO ON THE EDGE! Every time I have battled on the edge, my chain breaks. This didn't always happen in gen 4. There is no way to keep track of how many pokemon you have chained, and no way to tell right away if your chain breaks which is super annoying. There are also random pokemon that will break your chain. Last night I was chaining scatterbug, and a weedle popped up in a spot that didn't shake. That was annoying too. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my highest chain is a 6, whereas in 4th gen I could get into the 70's or higher easily every single time.

4321X1234
When you chain you should pay attention to how fast the patch of grass shakes that is key. If you follow the four space away rule and the patch shakes at the same speed i would say the pokemon is going to be right 90% of the time. If you start with a patch that shakes violently it is easier to distinguish it from the others. This is from personal experience, i have chained whats in the sig, riolu was the hardest because of awkward patch of flowers, and i just follwed that critria.

Side note i have had success with edge patches in small areas of gras if the shake the same.

Side note to keep track it is easy to keep track by counting pp, moves with 20pp plus are perfect. Also be sure to chain with the volume on and listen to the distinctive music thats another indicator that your chain is continuing.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

thetifftiff

There were 2 bushes that shook in the 1 range. This never happened in 4th gen.

The gen 6 radar has the chance of producing 5 patches instead of 4. That's... not a good thing though. The reason for this is one of them can be a "decoy" patch. They shake slowest of all the patches, and if you walk into it you'll get a message saying something like, "Huh? There don't seem to be any pokemon here." and your chain will break right there and then. That's why you can get two in the same ring, and you should be extra careful around those, because you might not always see them. I accidentally walked into one on the way to a shiny patch recently, that's a terrible feeling.

Side note i have had success with edge patches in small areas of gras if the shake the same.

The edge patch thing isn't really about whether or not you'll get the same pokemon as much as it is about whether or not the chain will break afterward. The game places its "shaking tiles" without considering whether or not the tile actually has any grass. If all of the tiles that would have shook occur on tiles that don't have any grass, your chain will break even if you got the same pokemon. That's why edges are dangerous.

But it's also why edges aren't going to fail every time and why corners are the riskiest in most places. Because while it's possible for the shaking tiles to all be outside of the grass, the more grass you have around you, the less likely that will happen even if you happen to be on an edge.

It's always going to be a risk, but it's up to you whether or not you want to take said risk. Personally, I'd be more likely to earlier in chains. (Though I was more likely to take these risks in gen 4, this radar and I are still not exactly getting along as well as me and that radar did.)

Bus

Not sure if anyone knows this, but I found that even if your suction cups guy in the lead spot is fainted (thus having the 2nd pokemon always coming out first), the Suction Cups ability still is active. I've tested this several times and got chains of 96, 42, and 37 with my Suction Cups Malamar in the lead spot while fainted.

Zeb

Not sure if anyone knows this, but I found that even if your suction cups guy in the lead spot is fainted (thus having the 2nd pokemon always coming out first), the Suction Cups ability still is active. I've tested this several times and got chains of 96, 42, and 37 with my Suction Cups Malamar in the lead spot while fainted.

I can confirm this I get 70+ chains with it fainted.

Bus

That made things really easy for me since Malamar (and the Octopus, too) are too slow for me. I havent really been leveling him, so he wasn't able to hook pokemon and get away. Hell; he was outsped by Poliwhirls that were lower level (granted his nature is -speed), but it's ridiculous.

Luckily, I found out it would keep going and my level 73 Heliolisk took on the duty of Shiny Hunting from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.