• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

help

Wi-fi name is Spice
I see someone deleted my signature banner that I've had for 10 years. Thanks for that! I really do appreciate it! How in the world am I a hacker if I don't own a gameshark or know the slightest inkling about hacking. If I knew how to hack pokemon, I wouldn't be asking how to chain now would I?

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Guys...everyone knows about fainted Suction Cups lead...for awhile now actually. It's how most people chain fish.

And Help, if it's the banner I see of your shinies, then the Celebi at least must be hacked, FYI. Celebi can't be shiny legitamately.

Bus

Guys...everyone knows about fainted Suction Cups lead...for awhile now actually. It's how most people chain fish.

And Help, if it's the banner I see of your shinies, then the Celebi at least must be hacked, FYI. Celebi can't be shiny legitamately.

I never knew. I never asked anything about the chain fishing and Im still a little unclear about the Poke-radar and how to get a super high chain using that (I dont read the FAQ or ask questions). I tend to try and figure these things out on my own.

alakazam^

Does anyone know if fishing chains are still possible after obtaining the shiny charm?

Iv spent about 2 hours over the last few days and i cant find a single shint by chain fishing :S but caught a few previously.
Haven't tried it yet but can't imagine it not working.

redven

I have a question for those with the shiny charm.

What's your success rate for hunting shinnies with that thing?

I just got my shiny charm today so my sample size is rather small.

Just want an idea of others shiny encounter rate since the point of the shiny charm is to make it easier to find shiny pokes ;)

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
While I've gotten the consecutive fishing down, the Pokéradar is getting the better of me. The "upbeat music" is, to me, a harbinger of the end of my chain, killing the streak no more than two Pokémon after hearing it. I'd ask for help, but it's probably just me "racking disciprine"...

DDDchu

I suck at chaining with the radar, but a master fisher. Still found 0 shinies either way but I got a pilowsine in the friend safari and a beldum by musuda method. I try to chain and get like 5-9 and then I fudge it up.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I'm not that great with the Poke Radar, but i'm getting better with it. Chain Fishing on the other hand i've caught 12 shinys using that method. My latest shiny that I caught using chain fishing is a shiny Dragalge. I encountered it in 56 reel ins.

PKMaster2

Catching them all.
I have found 2 shinies in Route 8 in a chain of 39. One was a Qwilfish and the other, Dragalge. They both looked "eh" and traded them. then... using Masuda Method, I kid you not I got a Shiny Beldum in 2 hatches. I was freaking out like crazy lol.
Now Im looking for a shiny froakie. I will post when i found a shiny so we can hook a trade up.

JoshRJV77

I had a bunch of success chaining in route 5 but lately I've been having horrible luck in route 7, my chains keep breaking for what seems like no reson, just keep ending up with different pokemon!

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
No luck with chaining using the PokeRadar, highest chain so far is 4 before it got broken by a decoy patch.
Had better luck using chain fishing to obtain shinies, I have got a Seaking with a chain of 29, a Skrelp with a chain of 25 and a Clauncher with a chain of an unknown length.

Edit: I was able to extend my PokeRadar chain length to 9 before it got broken. Still will need more practice before I can use it to obtain shiny Pokemon.

Last edited:

TaurosRicardo

A few days ago, i managed to chain a shiny Tauros. I thought I finally mastered the pokeradar so I went to chain a shiny Goomy. First time I got Goomy, the chain broke after one chain and then I found it again and again it broke after one chain. It was good grass and it still manages to break. Someday you will be mine Goomy!

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
After trying (and failing) with Pokéradar earlier this morning, I went to Route 21 to try to catch a shiny Dragonair. I never caught it, though I did land three Poliwhirl and a red Basculin. I also improved my best fishing chain from 111 to about 172.

Frisky Arcanine

Fluffernutter
I've been having no luck at all with the Pokéradar. While in gen 4 I could at least make a decent chain (albeit with little success, still) I can't get past one or two. :( I feel like such a failure! I've had no luck with chain fishing as well, but I do find it fun and fishing for Poliwag is decent for speed EVs.

I know this is farfetched, but has anyone seen any correlation with suction cups and how long they have taken to get a shiny? I know, it's all anecdotal and doesn't mean much, but a friend of mine seems to have much better luck without the use of suction cups and having a shiny appear. I am quite sure it has no effect, but when she did not use the ability she was fishing up a few pokemon in a short period of time, compared to absolutely nothing for an extended period with the ability. I have been fishing almost exclusively with suction cups. It would just be nice to hear someone say they fish up buckets of sparklies using the ability!

Stefan21

French IV Breeder
I always use Octillery with suction cups and it work ;) I can't tell you how long it take to have a shiny, between 20 and ... more than 100.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I've noticed that a lot of people on this thread are saying that they're having trouble with the PokeRadar. I found a lot of PokeRadar help online and wrote up a comprehensive guide. It might help some of you. I know that these tips work because I've successfully chained several shinies in XY so far.

Here's a guide on chaining in Pokemon X and Y!

1. Buy a LOT of Super/Max Repels. Like at least 99 of them.

2. Go to a grass patch that is sufficiently large, probably at least 40-50 patches squared (so like 4x10 or 5x10) and use a Repel. A good place to practice is probably the Pokemon Village, because the grass patches are so huge. Note, though, that you can exit the Pokeradar's range if you stray to far from where you started chaining, and you'll have to start over. Anyway, step 1 is to use a Repel, turn on the Pokeradar, and encounter a Pokemon in a shaking patch. If it's not the Pokemon you want, reset the Radar by walking 50 steps and trying again. Do this until you get the Pokemon you want.

3. You must defeat or catch the Pokemon. After the battle ends, the grass patches will automatically shake. This is where it gets tricky - you must pay VERY close attention to the grass patches - where they are, how fast they're shaking, how loud they are, and whether or not they are next to other grass patches.

There are four types of shaking patches:

SLOW: Most of the time has NO Pokemon in it, and will break your chain. If it does have a Pokemon, it is almost always not the one you are chaining and will break your chain
NORMAL: From what I can tell, has about a 50/50 chance of having the Pokemon you are chaining vs a different Pokemon. Not safe to step in.
FAST AND LOUD: Almost always has the Pokemon you are chaining
SHINY: Hooray! You found a shiny patch! Will always have a shiny Pokemon in it!

However, fast and loud grass patches are not always safe to step in. Here is how you tell which patches to step in and which ones to avoid:

SAFE GRASS PATCHES:

1. Must be shaking fast and loud
2. Must be at least 4 steps from you
3. Must NOT be on the edge of the field
4. Must be by themselves (i.e., not next to any other shaking grass patches or you)

Shiny grass patches are also always safe.

UNSAFE GRASS PATCHES

1. Anything that shakes slow or normal
2. ANY grass patch, even fast and loud ones, on the edge of a field
3. ANY grass patch, even fast and loud ones, that are next to another shaking grass patch
4. ANY grass patch that is next to you

If there aren't any grass patches that match the criteria I listed for safe ones, then walk 50 steps (without entering any shaking grass patches, obviously) and reset the Radar to make different patches shake. This will not break your chain. Also, keep in mind that even if you follow the "safe grass patch" rules, there is still a slim chance that you could encounter a different Pokemon than the one you are chaining in a "safe" grass patch. It's rare, but it does happen. Following these rules, though, will greatly minimize the chance of breaking your chain.

THINGS THAT WILL BREAK YOUR CHAIN:

1. Using the roller skates or Bicycle
2. Entering a grass patch with a Pokemon different than the one you are chaining
3. Entering a grass patch with no Pokemon (these grass patches will always be slow-shaking)
4. Leaving the PokeRadar's range
5. Having an Egg in your party that hatches while you are chaining

THINGS THAT WILL NOT BREAK YOUR CHAIN:

1. Accidentally stepping in a slow/normal grass patch that miraculously has the Pokemon you are chaining. Lucky you!
2. Using the menus to switch Pokemon, use items, etc.
3. Encountering one of the legendary birds
4. Walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar

You will know if your chain is broken if the Pokeradar music stops and goes back to the normal Route music.

----

Lastly, sometimes, the Pokeradar music will change into something more upbeat. No one has any proof of what this does yet, but the general consensus on the Internet that I can find is that while the upbeat music is playing, you have a higher chance of encountering shiny patches. When the upbeat music starts, DON'T WALK INTO ANY SHAKING PATCHES. Keep walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar to see if you get any shiny patches. You can resume encountering and building your chain once the music stops.

Once you hit a chain of 40, stop encountering in the shaking grass patches. You can't get your shiny chance any higher after 40, so encountering will just risk breaking your chain. Once you hit a chain of 40, just keep walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar until you find a shiny patch. The chance of finding a shiny patch at a chain of 40 in D/P/Pt was 1/200. We don't know what it is in XY - it's at least 1/200 - but I'd put money on it being 1/100. Anyway, the chance of finding a shiny patch is still small - either .5% or 1% - but that's a lot higher than the normal .0001%, and with a lot of Repels and patience, you can still find a shiny patch fairly easily.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I've noticed that a lot of people on this thread are saying that they're having trouble with the PokeRadar. I found a lot of PokeRadar help online and wrote up a comprehensive guide. It might help some of you. I know that these tips work because I've successfully chained several shinies in XY so far.

Here's a guide on chaining in Pokemon X and Y!

1. Buy a LOT of Super/Max Repels. Like at least 99 of them.

2. Go to a grass patch that is sufficiently large, probably at least 40-50 patches squared (so like 4x10 or 5x10) and use a Repel. A good place to practice is probably the Pokemon Village, because the grass patches are so huge. Note, though, that you can exit the Pokeradar's range if you stray to far from where you started chaining, and you'll have to start over. Anyway, step 1 is to use a Repel, turn on the Pokeradar, and encounter a Pokemon in a shaking patch. If it's not the Pokemon you want, reset the Radar by walking 50 steps and trying again. Do this until you get the Pokemon you want.

3. You must defeat or catch the Pokemon. After the battle ends, the grass patches will automatically shake. This is where it gets tricky - you must pay VERY close attention to the grass patches - where they are, how fast they're shaking, how loud they are, and whether or not they are next to other grass patches.

There are four types of shaking patches:

SLOW: Most of the time has NO Pokemon in it, and will break your chain. If it does have a Pokemon, it is almost always not the one you are chaining and will break your chain
NORMAL: From what I can tell, has about a 50/50 chance of having the Pokemon you are chaining vs a different Pokemon. Not safe to step in.
FAST AND LOUD: Almost always has the Pokemon you are chaining
SHINY: Hooray! You found a shiny patch! Will always have a shiny Pokemon in it!

However, fast and loud grass patches are not always safe to step in. Here is how you tell which patches to step in and which ones to avoid:

SAFE GRASS PATCHES:

1. Must be shaking fast and loud
2. Must be at least 4 steps from you
3. Must NOT be on the edge of the field
4. Must be by themselves (i.e., not next to any other shaking grass patches or you)

Shiny grass patches are also always safe.

UNSAFE GRASS PATCHES

1. Anything that shakes slow or normal
2. ANY grass patch, even fast and loud ones, on the edge of a field
3. ANY grass patch, even fast and loud ones, that are next to another shaking grass patch
4. ANY grass patch that is next to you

If there aren't any grass patches that match the criteria I listed for safe ones, then walk 50 steps (without entering any shaking grass patches, obviously) and reset the Radar to make different patches shake. This will not break your chain. Also, keep in mind that even if you follow the "safe grass patch" rules, there is still a slim chance that you could encounter a different Pokemon than the one you are chaining in a "safe" grass patch. It's rare, but it does happen. Following these rules, though, will greatly minimize the chance of breaking your chain.

THINGS THAT WILL BREAK YOUR CHAIN:

1. Using the roller skates or Bicycle
2. Entering a grass patch with a Pokemon different than the one you are chaining
3. Entering a grass patch with no Pokemon (these grass patches will always be slow-shaking)
4. Leaving the PokeRadar's range
5. Having an Egg in your party that hatches while you are chaining

THINGS THAT WILL NOT BREAK YOUR CHAIN:

1. Accidentally stepping in a slow/normal grass patch that miraculously has the Pokemon you are chaining. Lucky you!
2. Using the menus to switch Pokemon, use items, etc.
3. Encountering one of the legendary birds
4. Walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar

You will know if your chain is broken if the Pokeradar music stops and goes back to the normal Route music.

----

Lastly, sometimes, the Pokeradar music will change into something more upbeat. No one has any proof of what this does yet, but the general consensus on the Internet that I can find is that while the upbeat music is playing, you have a higher chance of encountering shiny patches. When the upbeat music starts, DON'T WALK INTO ANY SHAKING PATCHES. Keep walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar to see if you get any shiny patches. You can resume encountering and building your chain once the music stops.

Once you hit a chain of 40, stop encountering in the shaking grass patches. You can't get your shiny chance any higher after 40, so encountering will just risk breaking your chain. Once you hit a chain of 40, just keep walking 50 steps and resetting the Radar until you find a shiny patch. The chance of finding a shiny patch at a chain of 40 in D/P/Pt was 1/200. We don't know what it is in XY - it's at least 1/200 - but I'd put money on it being 1/100. Anyway, the chance of finding a shiny patch is still small - either .5% or 1% - but that's a lot higher than the normal .0001%, and with a lot of Repels and patience, you can still find a shiny patch fairly easily.

Sorry to be so nitpicky but this will help in succeeding
theres actually 5 types of grass patches
Slightly shaking: decoy patches. never go into these. theyre the almost unseeable ones and are relatively quiey
Moderately shaking: These shake a little harder but mostly always has the wrong pokemon
Rough shaking: These shake side to side and are loud enough to stand out but these arent guaranteed to continue chain. Theyre more likely to do so than the above two however
Violent shaking: These shake sideways and upwards a bit and stand out the most. These are basically guaranteed to continue your chain if theyre 4 steps away either vertically or horizontally (does NOT have to be perpendicular to the character)
Shiny patch: quite obvious. the sparkles kind of come up and sometimes its hard to tell which patch is the shaking one as the radius of the shine is kinda large. But nevertheless when you see it, you'll absolutely know its that one so if you ever see a patch that youre not sure if its the shiny one or not, dont go into it. This has led me to success plenty of times and I have gotten my shiny roserade, klefki, trevenant, toxicroak, and drapion this way.

Reactions: LLR
Status
Not open for further replies.