• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Sorry to be so nitpicky but this will help in succeeding
theres actually 5 types of grass patches
Slightly shaking: decoy patches. never go into these. theyre the almost unseeable ones and are relatively quiey
Moderately shaking: These shake a little harder but mostly always has the wrong pokemon
Rough shaking: These shake side to side and are loud enough to stand out but these arent guaranteed to continue chain. Theyre more likely to do so than the above two however
Violent shaking: These shake sideways and upwards a bit and stand out the most. These are basically guaranteed to continue your chain if theyre 4 steps away either vertically or horizontally (does NOT have to be perpendicular to the character)
Shiny patch: quite obvious. the sparkles kind of come up and sometimes its hard to tell which patch is the shaking one as the radius of the shine is kinda large. But nevertheless when you see it, you'll absolutely know its that one so if you ever see a patch that youre not sure if its the shiny one or not, dont go into it. This has led me to success plenty of times and I have gotten my shiny roserade, klefki, trevenant, toxicroak, and drapion this way.

Thanks! I also agree with you - if you aren't absolutely sure that a patch is safe, don't go into it. Reset the Radar and try again.

JoshRJV77

I've looked and can't find any answers anywhere, but does anyone know how the shiny charm affect the odds when it comes to the pokeradar? Can I find my shiny just as easy at a chain of 20 and just keep resetting or are the odds just increased less with each chain resulting in the same odds by chain 40?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I've looked and can't find any answers anywhere, but does anyone know how the shiny charm affect the odds when it comes to the pokeradar? Can I find my shiny just as easy at a chain of 20 and just keep resetting or are the odds just increased less with each chain resulting in the same odds by chain 40?

As far as we know, shiny charm does not affect the PokeRadar.

JoshRJV77

That kinda sucks, I just had another decent chain break for what seemed to be no good reason! Really getting frustrated with this, especially since I seemed to have had it down no problem before getting the shiny charm and since I've had no luck at all

The Scientist

Sorry to be so nitpicky but this will help in succeeding
theres actually 5 types of grass patches
Slightly shaking: decoy patches. never go into these. theyre the almost unseeable ones and are relatively quiey
Moderately shaking: These shake a little harder but mostly always has the wrong pokemon
Rough shaking: These shake side to side and are loud enough to stand out but these arent guaranteed to continue chain. Theyre more likely to do so than the above two however
Violent shaking: These shake sideways and upwards a bit and stand out the most. These are basically guaranteed to continue your chain if theyre 4 steps away either vertically or horizontally (does NOT have to be perpendicular to the character)
Shiny patch: quite obvious. the sparkles kind of come up and sometimes its hard to tell which patch is the shaking one as the radius of the shine is kinda large. But nevertheless when you see it, you'll absolutely know its that one so if you ever see a patch that youre not sure if its the shiny one or not, dont go into it. This has led me to success plenty of times and I have gotten my shiny roserade, klefki, trevenant, toxicroak, and drapion this way.

I can't stress enough the importance of distinguishing the grass types. Once I visually mastered what each one looks like, I regularly got up to 40. Beware the "rough" and "violent" patches are nearly identical.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I can't stress enough the importance of distinguishing the grass types. Once I visually mastered what each one looks like, I regularly got up to 40. Beware the "rough" and "violent" patches are nearly identical.

Is there anyone that can make a GIF for each of the types of shaking grass? I think it would help a lot if I was able to stare at a GIF of a Violently shaking grass and memorize what I am looking for and I would be very greatful.

And I don't understand how some grass patches can be "louder" than others. They shake at exactly the same time for the same length of time. Their sounds are played at exactly the same time.

The Scientist

Is there anyone that can make a GIF for each of the types of shaking grass? I think it would help a lot if I was able to stare at a GIF of a Violently shaking grass and memorize what I am looking for and I would be very greatful.

And I don't understand how some grass patches can be "louder" than others. They shake at exactly the same time for the same length of time. Their sounds are played at exactly the same time.

I agree that a GIF or youtube video would probably help a lot of people. Is there no youtube video like this available yet?

EDIT: I just searched youtube and couldn't find anything that specifically demonstrated all the grass types. Almost all of them were just showing the shiny patch, which is the most distinctive of all the types, lol.

Last edited:

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I finally evolved all of the pokemon I have that evolve by trading, except shelmet and karrablast because I didn't have them on my X version so I caught them so I can transfer them over tomorrow when my 3ds is done charging. I also need to evolve my sneasel and gligar still. Then I will be done catching and evolving pokemon in Y until I use poke transfer.

Last night I chained two Shiny Goldeen looking for a Shiny Corphish. One of them was Adamant and is now named Shiny Ada. Today's luck sucked because I chained no shiny Pokemon. I kept accidentally breaking my Chains.

alakazam^

The violent patch has a louder noise than the others. If there's at least one, it will be the sound heard. If there's no violent patch, you'll notice a softer rustling noise.

Sellon

I found a good chain fishing spot. Fly to Laverre City an go through the house (there's a gap). Fish there. I accidentally got a shiny Basculin!

Nepurrty

幻想のマスター。
It seems like I constantly have to reset the PokeRadar since there's rarely the violent shaking patch. The highest I've ever gotten was 32, trying to get a shiny Croagunk, but it broke.

However, when I tried chaining in a different area, I found a shiny Plusle after literally 3 chains. It was a miracle!

agent mulder

Ok what the hell. Im on my 113th fishing chain and still no shiny. My last chain was only 25, for which I was rewarded with a shiny Skrelp. I have the shiny charm and everything! What exactly are the odds of getting a shiny as your fishing chain increases, does anyone know? And does the shiny charm affect it?

Just a note on chain fishing that I feel I should share... I've heard from a few sources that catching the pokemon will break your chain, but just recently I was catching Luvdiscs for heart scales and by the tenth one I happened accross a shiny. Between several catches I also checked the menus and moved items, so I'm pretty sure that none of that affects the chain either.

Kokuei

I didn't know it was 50 steps to reset the radar, I just assumed it had to be 100. That will save me some repels! Pokéradar doesn't agree with me yet but chain fishing does so that's entertaining me for now.

With regards to the patches of grass that appear when using the radar, I was under the impression they had to be of the same kind of shake as the initial one from what it says on the page on Serebii. I didn't realise each patch was different and that "violent shaking"was always better, that will help a lot.

Edit:
I was trying to get to grips with the Pokéradar last night before I went to bed. Usually it's not a good idea for me to do anything when I'm tired but I got the best chain so far, 7! Not quite sure when I'll hit the magic 40 but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Last edited:

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
It's funny...I decide to chain just to make leftovers farming with Pickup more interesting. On the 3rd chain, the upbeat music plays and a shiny patch appears....allowing me to score a Shiny Pancham.

No luck on gaining any extra leftovers though, lol

codypc

I haven't seen any in-depth poke-radar chaining guides posted, so here's the best one I've found. Props to reddit user cpctheman

During my playthrough of Pokemon X this past week, I found 2 shinies (Quagsire and Absol) in the wild. After I completed the game, I felt the thirst to acquire more and more shinies. I tried the masuda method, got the foreign ditto and everything, however I was instantly bored with it. My grievance with MMing for shinies is that there is no assurance of when you will get your shiny, if you ever actually do; it could be 3 eggs or 3000 eggs. I knew about chaining from previous gens, but never tried it out of fear for its complexity. Chaining can be frustrating, however it is very rewarding, as if you do it correctly, you are guaranteed a shiny.

What is chaining?

Chaining, in simple terms, is the act of encountering a pokemon over and over again using an item called the PokeRadar. For those of you that don't know, you get the PokeRadar after the Elite Four in Professor Sycamore's Lab in Lumiose City on the 2nd floor. The PokeRadar works like this: you use it in some grass and patches of grass around you shake, indicating a pokemon is in one of those patches. The PokeRadar recharges after you take 50 steps.

Why should I chain?

Chaining on its own is very boring, and seemingly unimportant. However, if you are able to chain a pokemon 40 times successfully, certain "shiny patches" will start to show up every few resets of the PokeRadar. These patches indicate a shiny pokemon dwelling in this grass, aka when you enter the grass, you get shiny.

What are the rules/steps to chaining?

While there are no concrete laws to chaining and everyone has their own methods, I will explain the method I have found works 100% of the time for me. It took me a disgusting amount of testing to figure these principles out.
Buy super repels. A lot of them. These will ensure that you do not break a chain of encounters by running into wild pokemon in the middle of chaining. Also, I should emphasize the phrase a lot of them. I usually bring around 200. Nothing is worse than running out of repels at a chain of 20. (I should mention max repels work fine as well, however it is more cost effective to use super repels as max repels only give 50 more steps for $200 more.)

Put a pokemon with moves that have a lot of PP in your party. I would highly suggest a pokemon with 2 moves with 20pp or 1 move with 40pp, as it makes counting much easier.

EDIT: /u/bgw92 says to register the poke radar and unregister any other items, as using another key item breaks the chain.

Find a field of grass with at least 5 patches of grass by 5 patches. It is important to have a large field and this will be explained shortly.

Walk into roughly the middle of the field and use your PokeRadar, making sure you've already used a super repel. Several patches of grass will shake.

Walk into one of the patches of grass, being sure to remember the nature of the shaking. There are two types of shaking, I will refer to them as rough and soft shaking. Rough shaking is, well, rough shaking and soft shaking is the opposite.

If the pokemon you encounter is one that you would like to chain, KO it. This will ensure that the chain continues off of that pokemon. Congrats, you now have a chain of 1. (You can use a notepad to count your chains, but I find it's easier to count with your pokemon's PP.)

After you KO the pokemon, more grass will shake. PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SHAKING GRASS. This is easily the hardest part of chaining as well as the most confusing. Not every grass will yield the pokemon you previously KO'ed. There are a few rules to making sure the pokemon is the same. 1: The grass must be of the same nature of shaking, ie: if your first grass was a rough shaker, only go to rough patches. 2: Only go to a patch that is at least 4 spaces horizontal or vertical away from you. There is much disagreement among this rule and you may find that another distance works better for you. However, if you're just starting, I would recommend doing everything in a very formulaic fashion. 3: If no patches meet this criteria, simply reset the PokeRadar until a patch works. Do this by running back and forth inside the field of grass, taking care to not run over one of the patches that wouldn't work. 4: If you KO a pokemon in a patch that is on the edge of the field (ie if the grass is not surrounded on all sides by other grass) you must reset your PokeRadar. Many chainers believe that KO'ing a pokemon on the edge of a field is a death sentence for your chain. This is only true if you do not reset after you KO an edge piece. If you neglect to reset, there is a good chance a shaking grass (even if it fits aforementioned criteria) will give a message saying "It seems there is no pokemon here," which will break your chain in a very demeaning manner. 5: When you finally reach a chain of 40, pat yourself on the back and take a bathroom break (it's been stored up for awhile now I'm sure). When you come back, it is unnecessary to chain any more pokemon. Getting a chain of 40 or 70 yields the exact same odds of getting a shiny. What you should do is reset your PokeRadar over and over again until you see a patch that shines. I would suggest having the volume turned on at this point because when shiny patches appear they emit a pleasant sound. You shouldn't be able to miss the shiny patch, as it is made very clear which patch is shiny. 6: Catch the shiny and bask in its shiny glory.

Ways in which a chain can break
Entering a patch of grass that does not have the pokemon you have been chaining.

Entering a patch of grass and having the message "It seems there is no pokemon here".

Leaving the field you are chaining in.

Turning off your game.

Using the roller skates.

EDIT: /u/thekingofnarwhals said he hatched an egg while chaining and it broke his chain.

EDIT: /u/Minkelol said his chain broke by encountering a wild pokemon even when he did everything right. This could confirm a very small chance that another pokemon can show up even if you do it right.

Some rare occurrences and how to deal with them
Sometimes if you enter a patch of grass on accident that does not fit the criteria, you may still encounter the pokemon you were chaining. In this case, you are very lucky. However, next time you may not be so lucky.

"Hey, I accidentally entered a patch of grass that had a different shaking than the one I've been using and I still found the same pokemon!" If you happen to notice when this happens (which you likely won't) you have two choices. Essentially, what has just happened is you have "reset" the type of grass your chain is associated with. This means you could continue the chain with the new grass shaking and everything is fine. However, if you're like me and cannot notice one patch as well as the other, I would suggest just resetting your chain, if it's still a pretty small chain.

After the Elite Four, you may have noticed a certain legendary bird occasionally occurring in wild grass. These guys are unaffected by repels, so many have come to believe that encountering a bird messes up your chain. THIS IS NOT TRUE, PRAISE GOOMY. The legendary bird runs away and has no effect on your chain. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

"Help! The pokemon I've been using to KO the others is out of PP!" Calm down. Using the menus for anything does not break your chain, even if you save. However, saving in the middle of a chain does nothing because when you reset your game a chain is broken.

"My power died!" Sorry, chain broken. Next time pay attention to the lovely notification on the bottom screen when your battery is low.

Well, I think that about covers it! If anyone has any additions, let me know and I shall add the information into the tutorial, giving you credit.

EDIT: Wasn't sure where to put this one, but /u/mansharkcow claims there are actually 3 types of shaking (soft, medium, large) and that serebii says that the more a grass shakes, the rarer the pokemon inside is.

EDIT: /u/HallucinatesTigers found this and this (two videos showing the shiny patch animation/sound)

EDIT: /u/Mouseshy has potentially found an interesting correlation between IVs and Chaining.

EDIT: Going to bed now, will hopefully answer all of the questions that arise when I wake up! Goodnight reddit :)

EDIT: Hello all, I've noticed a lot of positive reception from this post and I was wondering if you guys would find another tutorial post like this useful. Let me know!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.