• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

imran3

Nothing much...
Got Octillery,Clawitzer and Poliwhirl by fishing :D.

Off to get some more.

Cutty

Forever now
But I've been trying for a shiny Smeargle on Route 7 lately and I have a question - does the flowers' color matter? I think it does and I've been keeping to one color just to be safe, but I'm curious. Also, not gotten the strange souvenir yet but... it is odd that its an item that can be equipped rather than a key item... isn't it? I think it should be looked into. Anyways, I also thank the many posters on here for the tips I've received by reading and hope someone can give me an answer on the Route 7 thing.

Moving to different colour of flowers won't break your chain if you still meet the same pokemon your chaining.

Here's some additional tips:
- Twin patches/patches that stick to each other are safe if they are/one of them is the same shaking patch you first chose.
- 3 shaking patches in a line however are not safe, better not go into any of these patches.
- Patches at the edge are not really safe. Don't choose it if your chain is high/wide area. In a smaller area, I tend to go to the edge though. Depends on your luck too I guess.
- Slow shaking patch that you first chose can turn into fast shaking patch eventually, you might want to pay close attention to choose the right patch. I usually reset one or two times to make sure that is the one.
- Your chain can break w/ no whatsoever reason even if you go into a safe patch. Its in the coding.
- You don't wanna miss the shiny patch, so always make sure your 3DS volume is turned up so you can at least hear the sparkles tone even if you can't see it, cuz sometimes the shiny patch appears at the very bottom of the area/your screen. Its only one chance in 40 chain.

I just ran away from a shiny Inkay I chained btw. Awesome D:
Stupid button.

Thundabolt

Electromaniac
Gosh you guys are patient! I could never sit through more than 20 chains!

Does the Shiny charm affect chaining, btw?

Thundabolt

Electromaniac
OMG I just caught a Shiny Furfrou with the Pokeradar! It was only at a chain of 19 too. Also I have the shiny charm, so... maybe it does affect chaining.

Cutty

Forever now
Well, I don't own Shiny Charm and I'm doing fine.

I got two more shinies from chaining (should've 3 if I entered the right shiny patch of Exeggcute, oh well).

Shiny Inkay after 40 and Shiny Scatterbug after 5 chain (did many chains of this before, so early shiny didn't really surprise me).

I'm gonna reclaim the shiny Exeggcute and aim for shiny Goomy next.

Also trading and battling online in the middle of chaining won't break your chain. Same thing w/ opening your bag.
Hatching an egg will though. Encountering a roaming legendary bird won't break it (happened to me many times).
You guys might wanna know that. :)

imran3

Nothing much...
Just new a question? How much is the value of Shiny Octillery? I think it's virtually worthless, I've been sitting for hours hoping for Regice from the GTS.

I caught 3 other shinies by fishing and the reason why i think they were sold because-

Gyrados- Mega Evolvable
Clawitzer- Kalos Pokemon
Poliwhirl- I threw in a free King's Rock

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
Just new a question? How much is the value of Shiny Octillery? I think it's virtually worthless, I've been sitting for hours hoping for Regice from the GTS.

I caught 3 other shinies by fishing and the reason why i think they were sold because-

Gyrados- Mega Evolvable
Clawitzer- Kalos Pokemon

I think it also helps that Clawitzer is a version exclusive. But yeah, fished shinies have been seriously devalued. Anyway, I'm going to hopefully succeed with chaining on land. I haven't had the best of luck with it...

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Gyrados- Mega Evolvable
Clawitzer- Kalos Pokemon

All fishing shinies are essentially worthless, and Gyarados doubly so because you got a free one in HGSS. Although I put up a shiny Basculin (REALLY worthless) on the GTS for kicks and giggles and asked for Heatran, and I got a shiny Heatran in return, which really blew my mind. So people will still trade for them. Depending on how long ago you put up Octillery, it might have been shuffled to the end of the trade list that people see, so you might want to take it out and put it back in again. That's worked for me when my trades weren't going through. Shiny Octillery for Regice is a very reasonable trade, so I'm sure someone would trade with you eventually.

Rexitron

Treecko Ninja
So I am not very good at chaining with the Pokéradar and have rotten luck for chain fishing; however, I was wondering if the shiny charm might help me. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I would like to know if the shiny charm affects the odds of shiny Pokémon with the use of the radar or chain fishing. If it does That could prove very useful for people who aren't incredibly lucky or skilled at chaining.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
So I am not very good at chaining with the Pokéradar and have rotten luck for chain fishing; however, I was wondering if the shiny charm might help me. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I would like to know if the shiny charm affects the odds of shiny Pokémon with the use of the radar or chain fishing. If it does That could prove very useful for people who aren't incredibly lucky or skilled at chaining.

It does, Shiny Charm affects MM, Chain Fishing, Hordes, Pokeradar, and regular encounters.

05aleer

I'm really struggling with the pokeradar, I'm making sure I only choose spots 4 paces away from me. I just can't see where I'm going wrong so can anyone give me any tips.

alakazam^

I'm really struggling with the pokeradar, I'm making sure I only choose spots 4 paces away from me. I just can't see where I'm going wrong so can anyone give me any tips.
You're probably stepping on a different grass, try noticing if it's the same type you want. I've been chaining on route 2 and have easily reached high chains, just going to the 4-away and same type grass.

alakazam^

Not sure if anyone was wondering but, when using the pokeradar, it seems the shiny rate doesn't reset if you defeat one instead of catching it.

I am horrible at Pokeradar- I can't even get a chain of 5.... I don't do too bad at chain fishing though- I've gotten only two out of it because I almost never us it. staryu and clauncher(clauncher just the other day) i'll just stick to mm/random encounters and sometimes fishing

darkmaster1928

Yesterday i got shiny weepinbell at chain 40, floatzel at 45+, croagunk at 31 and an amazing shiny zoroark *_* ( in winding woods near the giant rock) at chain 2.

Trying inkay/exeggcute right now :)

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I had a quick question about the pokeradar. I'm experienced enough with it to the point that I've gotten 5 shinies with it but I play competitively and so I prefer as high IV's as I can get. I know they cap at 3 perfect IV's after a chain of 60 but my question is, if you catch a shiny at 40, do the IV's reset after that too? like would the Pokemon at chain 41 have no perfect IV's or do the 2 perfect IV's remain?

Status
Not open for further replies.