• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisspower12

I am me
You sir deserve a cookie cookie!

Coconuthead

Water Trainer
I remember i chained a shiny Ditto. i was dissapointed that when you use transform it doesnt transform into that pokemons shiny...

Coconuthead

Water Trainer
I am currently using the mesuda method to get a shiny pinsir. I have gotten a beldum and riolu ising the mesuda method

AcidArmor

Got my first gen 6 shiny (Magikarp) after 50 chains. I also went hunting for a shiny Dragonair and eventually messed up on the 74th chain.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Coconuthead - try not to double- or triple-post - you can get infracted for it. Use the "Edit" button at the bottom right-hand corner of the post to edit your posts instead of making multiple posts.

I have been looking for a pinsirite, would you trade me one. i have pokemon y

Go to the Trade Forums, and in particular try the Item and Pokerus Trading Thread and/or the Trade Shops to find what you need.

I remember i chained a shiny Ditto. i was dissapointed that when you use transform it doesnt transform into that pokemons shiny...

It will only transform into the shiny version of the opponent if the opponent is shiny, unfortunately.

I am currently using the mesuda method to get a shiny pinsir. I have gotten a beldum and riolu ising the mesuda method

Nice job :) Come join us at the Shiny Hunters' Thread to get more tips and tricks on shiny hunting, as well as to make friends and get encouragement on your long hunts!

alakazam^

I would like to point out some things:

It's best to buy Super Repels rather than Max. Cheaper and more steps overall.

In order not to waste Repels, one should follow this order: save -> Poke Radar -> (if it's the Pokemon we want to chain) Repel. This way, if you don't find the intended Pokemon you won't be wasting Repel steps trying to reset the Radar. Also, if your chain ends, you can simply reset the game and try again with full Repel stock.

Not sure if your "SLOW" patch is the 6th-Gen decoy one but, if so, it NEVER has a Pokemon.

You didn't really specify that's the case but I've seen other people saying that edge patches are unsafe and will break a chain. The reason they are unsafe is because the next set of patches MIGHT activate in non-grass places and thus, the chain breaks. An edge patch DOES NOT equal a broken chain.

Lastly, the upbeat Poke Radar music is officially stated to increase the appearance of shiny Pokemon. Whether that means a random Pokemon encounter or a shiny patch, no one knows.

Blasting Toise

Edge-patches are unsafe because there is high chance that next patches are generated outside the grass and if all go outside the grass chain ends. Corner patches are the most dangerous ones naturally.

Not really chained much in this generation- it is too hard with these 3d graphics IMO. I got shiny Skiddo with chain of 40 but from non-shiny patch.

By my experience some rules like "always 4 steps away from you" and "never next to other patch" are not true what comes to Platinum at least. I don't know if they are useful in GEN VI, but in Platinum the rule was simple: the patch that shakes similarly than ones before and is the patch farthest away from you it is pretty safe. But still totally random chain breaks happen.

I have taken patches next to other shaking ones and patches less than 4 steps away (if they are the farthest of the 4). Patches next to corners and edges are to be avoided though because of the mechanics.

But I need to chain more in this gen to see how it works.

Last edited:

Rotom1598

Hello. I havent played X and Y yet, so I wanted to ask this that how do u keep track of chains in X and Y. In DPPt we had a poketch app which also displayed the highest chain we had gotten. So what is there in X and Y.
And also, that in Fish chaining, is it necassary to encounter the same pokemon every time to continue the chain?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Hello. I havent played X and Y yet, so I wanted to ask this that how do u keep track of chains in X and Y. In DPPt we had a poketch app which also displayed the highest chain we had gotten. So what is there in X and Y.
And also, that in Fish chaining, is it necassary to encounter the same pokemon every time to continue the chain?

To keep track of chains in XY, you have to count and keep a tally. That's the only thing you can do. To chain fish, you do not have to encounter the same Pokemon each time.

sagittar

Hi remind me to change this

To keep track of chains in XY, you have to count and keep a tally. That's the only thing you can do. To chain fish, you do not have to encounter the same Pokemon each time.

Actually on the second floor of the pokemon lab there is a machine that you can interact with, it can tell you your top 3 chains and your latest chain.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Actually on the second floor of the pokemon lab there is a machine that you can interact with, it can tell you your top 3 chains and your latest chain.

That doesn't help you while you're chaining.

Carcara

You can chain with strong pokemon(for 1-hit KOs) and count using the PP. For example, a Mewtwo: Psychic + Shadow Ball + Thunderbolt = 40 KOs

Blasting Toise

What comes to chain-fishing it seems that there is easier chance to get multiple shinies. At least I received two shiny poliwags today with chain of 59. Is it true that running doesn't reset the fishing chain? One site claimed that not even moving resets the chain if you don't go to another route/city. I stayed put and didn't run from the battle but I don't know if that was necessary then?

alakazam^

What comes to chain-fishing it seems that there is easier chance to get multiple shinies. At least I received two shiny poliwags today with chain of 59. Is it true that running doesn't reset the fishing chain? One site claimed that not even moving resets the chain if you don't go to another route/city. I stayed put and didn't run from the battle but I don't know if that was necessary then?
I think you can't move but I'm not sure. Since the Fishing Guru keeps track of your chain it's kinda easy to test what actions break it. Personally, I just fish non-stop while doing other stuff, chain breaking or not. It's that easy to get results.

EXGShadow

Poison fan
Managed to get a chain of 40 Flabebe on route 7.. only to run out of repels before I could find a single shiny.

Neji-and-Pidgeot

Can multiple shiny pokemon be found after you get the radar to 40?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Can multiple shiny pokemon be found after you get the radar to 40?

In XY, the PokeRadar count is reset after you find a shiny in a shiny patch, so no. If you find a random shiny (a shiny, but not in a shiny patch), it does not reset the radar.

julabard

Hi. I've been trying to chain-fish, but I seem to get a different pokemon each time i reel one in. In an hour yesterday, I got 2 poliwhirls after each other and that was the best. 2! bah! I read that some areas are better for chain fishing, could someone please send me in the right direction for a great place to chain-fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.