• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~*PokéWalker*~ Are you going to use it? If so, what for?

Are you going to use the PokéWalker?

• Yes, probably all the time!

Votes: 559 48.4%
  • Yeah, but probably just sometimes cause I may be busy.

Votes: 370 32.1%
  • Um...maybe...I haven't decided yet.

Votes: 181 15.7%
  • No, not going to use it at all

Votes: 44 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, so I got my copy of HeartGold via UPS yesterday. Trying out the PokéWalker was one of the first things I did. In my game, as soon as I was able to, I captured a test Pokémon (a level 4 Pidgey in this case) and transferred it to the 'Walker. Then... I went to work at my part-time job (a grocery store).

A four hour shift (and 4,000 'Walker steps) later, I went home and transferred the Pidgey back to my game. It only gained one level! Incidentally, to level up a Pidgey from 4 to 5 requires 39 EXP.

39 EXP in four hours is not good.

Later I tried transferring Cyndaquil to my 'Walker. I gained about 200 steps (enough to try out the PokéRadar). I caught an Onix, and then transferred both Pokémon to my game. Cyndaquil gained a level.

I am a bit confused about how leveling up via the PokéWalker works. Anyone else try this thing yet?

Did you possibly get into a battle or something which stopped your count soon after Pidgey leveled? I don't know if that can happen, I don't have one myself.

I'll probably keep it with me. I mean even if I'm not doing heavy exercize it's still a good way to get a level or two. Shoot I'll keep it in my pocket at school. It can't hurt y'know?

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Did you possibly get into a battle or something which stopped your count soon after Pidgey leveled? I don't know if that can happen, I don't have one myself.

I'm pretty sure you can only get into a battle by using Watts to activate the Poke Radar. I don't think there are random encounters.

Yeah, maybe the XP yield is kind of poor. Ah well, I'm more interested in using it for catching Pokemon and finding items. I'll probably bring it with me to work.

Skibob

BUCKET
I'll be carrying it around... Just hoping I don't end up losing it or something.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm pretty sure you can only get into a battle by using Watts to activate the Poke Radar. I don't think there are random encounters.

Yeah, maybe the XP yield is kind of poor. Ah well, I'm more interested in using it for catching Pokemon and finding items. I'll probably bring it with me to work.

Well the a couple days ago someone who got the Game and the Walker came into the thread and told us all about it, they said that 1 Step = 1 Exp o_O

So something is not working out here.

slowkingsley

Well the a couple days ago someone who got the Game and the Walker came into the thread and told us all about it, they said that 1 Step = 1 Exp o_O

So something is not working out here.

Yeah that was an assumption I made. Obviously a bad one. I had a lv 6 Hoppip gain a level, from about 800 steps. I guess I'll have to do more testing and edit my post. It's possible that it was designed so that you can only gain a maximum of one level everytime you transfer a Pokemon to the PokeWalker, so it doesn't get used for level abuse.

Last edited:

danzo

Master in Training
Since its infection for you grows? Does this mean its Happiness? So this would be good for Eevee if you are trying to get Espeon/Umbreon fast?

Johto-Master

I am completely looking forward to this Pokewalker business. Even if it gains levels really slowly, training during the day while you are doing stuff is better than not gaining any levels at all. I was legit so excited to hear about this. Still a bit confused about how you catch Pokemon on it... but the whole concept seems really cool. And think about it: now we can identify who among us plays Pokemon! We will be those kids in class who are always tapping their feet. So great!

One question, I don't know if anyone here knows this, but how do you wear it? If at all possible I would love to wear it going running after school... five miles a day = tons o' steps for my Pokemon. YAY!

there is an extra back clip that you can put on, on has a little clip to go on your pants, or say a belt? while the other is just plain so it slides into your pocket.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Since its infection for you grows? Does this mean its Happiness? So this would be good for Eevee if you are trying to get Espeon/Umbreon fast?

Yes it raises Happiness.

If your Pokemon can seriously only go up one level I will be absolutely disappointed...

It looks that way, and it actually makes sense that they did it that way. Too bad, it had potential.

hears7

Pokewalker

Ok so if it is true that you can only level up one level. why would nintendo distrube it because some of the younger players could stop playing the pokemon franchise the they lose money

codemonkey85

Pokémon Hoarder
According to some people who have been playing around with the PokéWalker, there is indeed a cap of only one level-up per "session". In other words, to level your Pokémon more than once, you must transfer it back to your game, and then back to the 'Walker.

Nuts.

Someone mentioned happiness earlier... does anyone have a guesstimation on the rate at which happiness is gained? I put my newly hatched Togepi in the 'Walker this morning; was planning to leave it in a few days, take it out, and see if I can make it evolve.

codemonkey85

Pokémon Hoarder
Even if it gains levels really slowly, training during the day while you are doing stuff is better than not gaining any levels at all.

That's true. It's just that, instead of obtaining several levels a day, I am limited to only two or three, depending on what my work schedule looks like. :\

At least if happiness is increased at a reasonable rate with no ridiculous cap, there's still some hope.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
According to some people who have been playing around with the PokéWalker, there is indeed a cap of only one level-up per "session". In other words, to level your Pokémon more than once, you must transfer it back to your game, and then back to the 'Walker.

Nuts.

Someone mentioned happiness earlier... does anyone have a guesstimation on the rate at which happiness is gained? I put my newly hatched Togepi in the 'Walker this morning; was planning to leave it in a few days, take it out, and see if I can make it evolve.

Well, that explains things. Dang. Isn't there also a limit on sending Pokemon to the Pokewalker per day, of some kind?

~:Shadow:~

I will use it constantly, and will carry it with me most of the times. I will use it primarily to make my Pokemon happy, and to level them up.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok so if it is true that you can only level up one level. why would nintendo distrube it because some of the younger players could stop playing the pokemon franchise the they lose money

WHAT? That has no correlation at all. The PokeWalker is completely optional, anyone that buys the game JUST FOR THE WALKER IS STUPID. This is not going to turn ANYONE away from buying this game, if it does those people are fools.

Sailor Saturn

Master of Silence
Well that throws a bucket of cold water on the whole Pokewalker thing. I have another pedometer and I do 8,000 + steps a day. I was looking forward to some heavy-duty level abuse. Darn! I'll probably still use it, but not nearly as much as I originally planned.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Okay, it's annoying, guys, but it's not that bad. We can still do training on different Pokemon, and the Pokewalker is a way to get certain Pokemon earlier, in addition to a decent selection of items.