• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokéwalker Research & Discussion Thread

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Chances are they'll have a leaflet in it advertising it similar to the Secret Key in Platinum

kiera2

Lurker
I have a feeling that the one person who said that the PIDs were set was telling the truth, however, the set part that they were referring to may be randomly generated to not work with your SID or something like that, which to my knowledge that person did not specify (or test for all I know) :( I have a deep gut feeling that it isn't possible though :/
I'm not sure if I'm the 'one person' you're talking about, but I had a friend check some PIDs for me last year and we definitely found that every Pokemon I transferred via PokeWalker to a certain DS game had the same PID. We didn't do extensive testing - only checked four or five Pokemon against my HG and SS games - but regardless of the PokeWalker they came from, every Pokemon I transferred to HG had one PID, and every Pokemon I transferred to SS had another PID. In both cases the PID did not match the trainer ID, making shinies impossible. But I don't have enough copies of the game (or enough time and patience for multiple restarts) to do extensive testing of whether the PokeWalker-received PID is deliberately set to make PokeWalker shinies impossible.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
I'm not sure if I'm the 'one person' you're talking about, but I had a friend check some PIDs for me last year and we definitely found that every Pokemon I transferred via PokeWalker to a certain DS game had the same PID. We didn't do extensive testing - only checked four or five Pokemon against my HG and SS games - but regardless of the PokeWalker they came from, every Pokemon I transferred to HG had one PID, and every Pokemon I transferred to SS had another PID. In both cases the PID did not match the trainer ID, making shinies impossible. But I don't have enough copies of the game (or enough time and patience for multiple restarts) to do extensive testing of whether the PokeWalker-received PID is deliberately set to make PokeWalker shinies impossible.

No, it was someone else (on another forum actually that was brought up here), but I do remember you saying that :p What you have said does make sense, and I had a feeling that's how it worked, so I'm about convinced it's impossible lol >.<

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
are yoou ev's affected if you lv up using the pokewalker? What if i had fully ev'd my pokemon and put it into the pokerwalker. Would it's stats be the same at lv 100?

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
Yay! now i can train on the go

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Not exactly. IIRC, you can only gain one level per Pokewalker trip.

What kind of battery does the Pokewalker use, and approximately how long does it last?

rocky505

IDK what kind of Battery it is but I know it last's a very long time.

hornsfan1

Blaziken Breeder
Use a watch/car alarm battery as an example. So pretty much it will last A LONG time. :)

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
Ill probably use it for the items and the pokemon, after all it appears to be the only way to get certain pokemon especially feebass & spiritomb which are annoying to get on any game...

Dean

Wonder of Thunder!
I was looking at the Pokewalker thing on Serebii.net. I want to get an Elekid at Suburban Area, but something confused me. Below it's moveset, it says 5000+ Steps. What does that mean? Does it mean I have to walk at least 5000 steps?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
I was looking at the Pokewalker thing on Serebii.net. I want to get an Elekid at Suburban Area, but something confused me. Below it's moveset, it says 5000+ Steps. What does that mean? Does it mean I have to walk at least 5000 steps?

It means that in one day you have to walk 5000 steps or more or Elekid will not appear at all. Even after you have walked the 5000 steps, there's still a possibility that you won't be able to find Elekid because it's not an 'active' Pokemon in the route. If it's not then you just have to send the Pokemon in your Pokewalker back to the game and then send it back and try again until you find one :p

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
"I am a woman on the go so I need to know..dose the pokewalker work on the StairMaster?"

Lord Dialga

The Deity of Time
Questions Regarding PokeWalker

I am excited to purchase my HeartGold game in a few days, and I look forward to utilising the PokeWalker tool for many things. However, I have a few questions regarding it:

When out walking, will battles with rare Pokemon take place without my knowledge, or will there be a sound that alerts me. I know that you have to choose the patch of grass in order to battle a Pokemon, so...

Next question: How do you charge the PokeWalker for fresh battery?

Final: How does PokeWalker battling work exactly?

pokemaster394

JESUS FREAK
Just two days before we get our games and pokewalkers, guys! Now if only this school day would end faster...*sighs*

Godric

Petrew Petrew
I am excited to purchase my HeartGold game in a few days, and I look forward to utilising the PokeWalker tool for many things. However, I have a few questions regarding it:

When out walking, will battles with rare Pokemon take place without my knowledge, or will there be a sound that alerts me. I know that you have to choose the patch of grass in order to battle a Pokemon, so...

Next question: How do you charge the PokeWalker for fresh battery?

Final: How does PokeWalker battling work exactly?

1. No, you have to actively choose a grass patch and before that choose to use the PokeRadar. So unless you bump your Pokewalker against something in that sequence (highly unlikely), you won't face any wild Pokemon without knowing.

2. You cannot charge the batteries, I recommend buying an extra at a Electronics store. one battery cost about 0.75USD. but you won't need to replace the battery for a long while. I haven't needed to change my battery yet. (unless you use the Pokewalker excessively or daily)

3. You have 3 options, ATTACK, DODGE, and CATCH & 4 bars of health
Battle sequences:
WILD RATTATA VS Your PIKACHU

[1.a]Pikachu - ATTACK
-1 HP Rattata; Rattata - ATTACK; -1 HP Pikachu

[1.b]Pikachu - ATTACK
Rattata - DODGE; -0 HP Rattata; Rattata retaliates; -1 HP Pikachu

[1.c]Pikachu - ATTACK
Rattata - RUN; -2HP Rattata (critical hit); -0HP Pikachu

[2.a]Pikachu - DODGE
Rattata - ATTACK; -0 HP Pikachu; Pikachu retaliates; -1 HP Rattata

[2.b]Pikachu - DODGE
Rattata - DODGE; Nothing Happens

[2.c]Pikachu - DODGE
Rattata - RUN; Rattata gets away.

[3]Pikachu - BALL/CATCH
Rattata = 4 HP: ~10%
Rattata = 3 HP: ~30%
Rattata = 2 HP: ~60%
Rattata = 1 HP: ~90%

Cutty

Forever now
Wew. I'm still hopeless w/ flying Pikachu. I've spent like 3000 watts in days but with nothing. I got another surfing pikachu though.

My biggest problem is always w/ the battle. If its not I lost the battle (the Pikachu kept dodging n finally broke out of the ball), or it ran away when I tried to dodge its attack).

I can't really predict the battle. But I will never stop to try.

kiera2

Lurker
"I am a woman on the go so I need to know..dose the pokewalker work on the StairMaster?"
The sensor is pretty inaccurate and responds to most kinds of movement. I get steps even on my bicycle (although I usually cycle standing up, so there's still an up-and-down motion). If attaching the PokeWalker to your hip doesn't work on your StairMaster, try attaching it to your ankle (hook it into the top of your shoe or sock) and that almost certainly will.

crazy mankey

FlamingGrass Trainer
What does "international trade" mean? I want to unlock that course.