• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokéwalker Research & Discussion Thread

ShinyREX

Hmmm I haven't heard anything either, I guess if someone did report one. It would be the case of believing them.

it Seems that if it is possible to get a shiny in the pokewalker the odds are Extremely Extremely Low. And if so maybe there are a Certain amount of steps u will have to walk before there being a possibility of finding a shiny pokemon in the pokewalker or a certain amount of Watts. i guess we will see when the time comes.

JaimeGreenan

On the FAQ it says you can only gain 1 level per walk so you can'T level up until you transfer them back to your game, is this true? Oh and do you have to save up the watts to get all the courses? Or can you just catch pokemon using up 10 watts and that 10 watts will still count towards your total?

Godric

Petrew Petrew
On the FAQ it says you can only gain 1 level per walk so you can'T level up until you transfer them back to your game, is this true? Oh and do you have to save up the watts to get all the courses? Or can you just catch pokemon using up 10 watts and that 10 watts will still count towards your total?

Yes, it's true. Only 1 lvl per walk. That is, if you've walked enough steps required for the Pokemon to lvl up.

and no, once you use those 10 watts for the PKMN Radar, they are deducted from your total and not counted towards the total number of watts transfered.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Someone had mentioned that it should be possible, others that I've seen on Japanese forums say it's impossible :/ Of all the months that the games have been out though I can tell you it's strange that I haven't seen even one report of a shiny Pokemon caught on the Pokewalker :/

I thought you said that there was all this stuff that had to do with the trainer ID and secret ID and all that? Is that now uncertain?

EDIT: ah, I see you said that you didn't know if it was true, back on page 14.

Well, if it's not that, at least it'll save me the trouble of restarting my HG over and over once I get it.

Last edited:

yaminokame

やみのかめ
I thought you said that there was all this stuff that had to do with the trainer ID and secret ID and all that? Is that now uncertain?

EDIT: ah, I see you said that you didn't know if it was true, back on page 14.

Well, if it's not that, at least it'll save me the trouble of restarting my HG over and over once I get it.

Yeah, I wish I knew the answer, but that was all based on what someone had said based on what another person that they trusted on another forum. To this day I have never seen a picture of anyone who has gotten a shiny Pokemon on the Pokewalker, and every time I look it up and search 2ch or something, they just say "it looks possible, but it's probably impossible." So, based on that, I have a feeling that the one person who said that the PIDs were set was telling the truth, however, the set part that they were referring to may be randomly generated to not work with your SID or something like that, which to my knowledge that person did not specify (or test for all I know) :( I have a deep gut feeling that it isn't possible though :/

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I've finally got up to 9500 steps in the "Yellow forest" course, so I can hunt for a surfing Pikachu.

I was just wondering, is there any way of stopping the Pokewalker from resetting itself back to 0 steps each day? It took me hours to reach 9500 steps; I'd hate to have to do it all over again tomorrow... @_@

I've finally got up to 9500 steps in the "Yellow forest" course, so I can hunt for a surfing Pikachu.

I was just wondering, is there any way of stopping the Pokewalker from resetting itself back to 0 steps each day? It took me hours to reach 9500 steps; I'd hate to have to do it all over again tomorrow... @_@

I think the steps that you took that day don't matter - it's the lifetime number of steps that counts. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not sure, but surely Game Freak can't expect people to walk that number of steps everyday to catch a single Pokemon?!

yaminokame

やみのかめ

Yes, you can actually. What you need to do is just keep it from hitting midnight. So set the time on your DS past midnight and then connect with the Pokewalker so that it does not hit midnight itself and it will keep the step count without resetting itself. You'll lose all watts you had though.

I think the steps that you took that day don't matter - it's the lifetime number of steps that counts. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not sure, but surely Game Freak can't expect people to walk that number of steps everyday to catch a single Pokemon?!

Unfortunately, nope :( GameFreak expects people to walk that much every day lol...

Cutty

Forever now
Yaminokame, is it so hard to get !!! in yellow forest course?
Because no matter how fast I press the button, the battle is always on w/ ! or !!.
It's even rare to get !! for me.

Any suggestions? Are those flying n surfing Pikachu so rare?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
Yaminokame, is it so hard to get !!! in yellow forest course?
Because no matter how fast I press the button, the battle is always on w/ ! or !!.
It's even rare to get !! for me.

Any suggestions? Are those flying n surfing Pikachu so rare?

I would just suggest a Ground/Electric/Grass Pokemon and getting as many watts as possible :( Unfortunately !!! patches are very rare on Yellow Forest, but they are possible... You could probably do it 100 times in a row and only get 1 or 2 !!! patches :( It's a pain, but just takes determination :p

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I built my pokewalker up to 10,000+ steps again today... and finally got myself a surfing Pikachu. ^_^

It appeared in a !!! patch (lol, the bad thing is it's Jolly natured. Oh, well, at least it finally appeared)

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I want to familiarize myself with the Pokewalker a bit more before I get HeartGold. Are Group A Pokemon just as common as the other groups, or are they rarer than that? Because I'm trying for a Doduo from Refreshing Field, and I want to know what kind of headache I'm in for.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
I want to familiarize myself with the Pokewalker a bit more before I get HeartGold. Are Group A Pokemon just as common as the other groups, or are they rarer than that? Because I'm trying for a Doduo from Refreshing Field, and I want to know what kind of headache I'm in for.

Basically anything on this page that is not listed as "Very Rare" is relatively easy to find. From my experience, group A Pokemon that are easy to find make Group B Pokemon really annoying to get (because you keep constantly getting the group A Pokemon to come out). These are the rates for Refreshing Field:

A) Kangaskhan - 50
A) Doduo - 70
B) Nidoran♀ - 75
B) Nidoran♂ - 75
C) Pidgey - 100
C) Sentret - 100

I'm almost positive that the way this works is that depending on how many steps you have taken it will random a Pokemon and work it's way down to C. For example say I have taken only 300 steps and then used the Pokeradar. Neither group A or B can be out yet because the step count is too low, so then it randoms a number on group C, which is a 100%, so it is the group C Pokemon that comes out. Now let's say that we have 5,000 steps worked up. That's enough for either group A or B to show up as well. First it would look at your group A Pokemon and random if it would appear or not (you have a 70% chance for Doduo)... if it doesn't, then it will move onto group B and random to see if you get a group B Pokemon or not. Both group B Pokemon have a 75% chance, so if you were to miss it then it will move onto group C which has a 100% chance as a failsafe. The same should apply to the dowsing machine as well. This way, the earlier courses actually make it hard to get Pokemon from group C and sometimes even B when the appearance rate of the A pokemon is so high. In the later on courses however it's a lot harder. Take Yellow Forest for example:
A) ♂ Pikachu (fly) - 2
A) ♀ Pikachu (surf) - 3
B) ♂ Pikachu - 35
B) ♀ Pikachu - (Volt Tackle) - 8
C) ♂ Pikachu - 100
C) ♀ Pikachu - 100

As you can see, once you get enough for even group A, you have a very low chance to get the A group Pokemon and a very low chance to even get the group B Pokemon. That's why most people keep getting group C Pokemon in most cases on Yellow Forest :(

To put it short though, finding a Doduo should be easy lol

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Yaminokame, I've got 1 surfing Pikachu already (after 3 days) in !!! grass.
Now I'm after the flying one.
My next question is:
Will I meet the surfing Pikahu again if I have built 10.000 steps?
The chance between them is still 50/50% right?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
Yaminokame, I've got 1 surfing Pikachu already (after 3 days) in !!! grass.
Now I'm after the flying one.
My next question is:
Will I meet the surfing Pikahu again if I have built 10.000 steps?
The chance between them is still 50/50% right?

Yep, and unfortunately there's no way to tell which is selected until you actually catch it, so I would suggest go until you get one and if it's surf again then take your Pokemon out and try again.. it'll take a while, but it's the only way :(

Cutty

Forever now
Yaminokame, I spent good 900 watts yesterday w/out any results.
The !!! did show up one time, but I lost the fight due to I couldn't hit the Pikachu for 2 turns. When I tried to catch it, annoyingly it broke out of the pokeball. Sorry you have to hear this.

Any suggestion of how I can win the battle? Just press hard or what?

yaminokame

やみのかめ
Yaminokame, I spent good 900 watts yesterday w/out any results.
The !!! did show up one time, but I lost the fight due to I couldn't hit the Pikachu for 2 turns. When I tried to catch it, annoyingly it broke out of the pokeball. Sorry you have to hear this.

Any suggestion of how I can win the battle? Just press hard or what?

Oh yikes :( 900 is a LOT too :( unfortunately, it's happened to me before when I was trying to get explosion munchlaxes :x Sometimes they get to the point where all they want to do is dodge for like 3 turns in a row, which is a total WTF moment lol... and what stinks about Yellow Forest is that it's not guarenteed that what you get after all that time IS fly instead of surf :/ It's unfortunate, but the only thing you can really do is keep trying until you get it :( I wish there was some way to read their movements and predict them, but every attempt at that for me has failed haha... I usually find attack dodge then attack again is usually effective... the reason being that usually they dodge your first attack, then you dodge their attack doing one damage, then they will try to run which will do two damage against them and then you just need to throw the ball :p... of course that doesn't always happen, but it may be worth a shot ^^

bulber

Prof. Pokerus
Anyone know when the Yellow Forrest event will be in America? I want a flying Pikachu for my SS team, so I hope that it'll be available early. If anyone has any extra Flying Pikachus, please PM me!

yaminokame

やみのかめ
Anyone know when the Yellow Forrest event will be in America? I want a flying Pikachu for my SS team, so I hope that it'll be available early. If anyone has any extra Flying Pikachus, please PM me!

Nobody would know that as of now, but if they follow Japan's example, this is what they did: September 12th release for the games and September 18th release for Yellow Forest. So looking at that, possibly not right away, but it can always change.