1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by matt0044, Dec 24, 2016.

1. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

Okay but why not a whole other writing team then? OLM's animation staff has done more than just Pokemon with LBX and Yokai Watch too.

2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I think people have already said this, but Shiny Phantump for Ash. It had potential. It could have been Ash's first Ghost-type. But, they decided to make it a POTD. WTH.

3. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

I felt like they missed the biggest opportunity in the anime during XY - replace Ash's Pikachu with Ash-Greninja as the mascot. We could've actually had a competent and useful Pokemon as a mascot for a change, not something I could easily knock out with any remotely decent Pokemon, ever. What a waste.

I mean, I would love for something much stronger than Greninja (who got pwned by Mega Charizard X and his fire attack of all types) as mascot (even the overrated Mega Charizard X would do), but I'm trying to be realistic here.

4. Spyro39

Spyro39 Well-Known Member

Well, Greninja was voted #1 most popular Pokemon in Japan while XY was airing, was heavily advertised during XY/Z, and took over Pikachu's role as Ash's signature Pokemon for Kalos. I think it had its fair share of getting the spotlight that Pikachu always has. As long as it remains widely popular, I don't think it needs to replace Pikachu as the new mascot.

Besides, Pikachu is just too iconic in Pokemon to be replaced as a mascot.

5. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Yes, let's pretend like Pikachu didn't take out Alain's Tyranitar and Metagross in the League lmao.

Not sure why everyone underestimates Pikachu, at its strongest it can defeat legendary Pokemon.

6. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

Probably because the anime plot-armor is too stupid to be taken seriously, Pikachu's video game stats considered. If they bothered to update Pikachu or even Raichu's stats, or even give him a Mega form, I'm sure people like me wouldn't disrespect the little rodent so much. At the very least, the Pokemon gamers who watch the anime would have a proper reason to use him much more often in the game instead of Tyranitar/Mega Kangaskhan for the umpteeth time.

Really, you're going to use Tyranitar and Metagross, two of the strongest Pokemon in the metagame as an excuse not to replace that little rat? lol Yeah, okay. I can see a real Pokefan here who clearly knows his Pokemon. Because the anime writers totally didn't pull that stuff outta their bottoms.

More like overused. And honestly, "iconic" is such a subjective state. I think Charizard, a flying dragon lookalike that's not a dragon type, is more iconic.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. Janovy

Janovy Banned

You....do realize that games =/= anime?

One of the best things about the anime as that it doesn't always follows the games' ridiculous logic.

As I said...games =/= anime. You are too obsessed with stats and game logic to be able to comprehend the way anime works lol

8. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

Whatever. AFAIK, an ***-pull writing like the anime is lazy and stupid compared to the well thought-out strategies of the metagame. Taking the basic rock/paper/scissors foundation of the game aside, it's far more in-depth in terms of logic than the ridiculous anime writing that does whatever is convenient, not have a consistent set of rules. So while the games might not be the anime, maybe it really should.

9. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Maybe. But it's not.

Happy to hear you admit I was right.

10. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

Yeah I'd rather watch an Ash vs Paul style match over a VGC/Smogon style match any day of the week. Not that I don't appreciate competitive Pokémon with all the Team Building/Nature/EV/IV/Move Set/Held Item intricacies but the (better) battles of the anime just have a dynamic feel that the (main) games couldn't hope to match not to mention tactics like utilizing a Pokémon's biology to your advantage, battlefield exploitation and move combinations (that are far more varied than those in-game). I will admit though that the anime is way to inconsistent with its mechanics at times.

11. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

What, that the anime isn't the games? lol That's a pretty pathetic thing to be right about. But hey, small victories, right?

Each to his own. If you love seeing Pokemon that should've been weak when unevolved just to pander to ten year olds with their cutesy shushy nonsense, hey, who am I to stop you.

12. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Greninja's the face of Gen 6, much like Lucario is of Gen 4.

No-one will ever replace Pikachu, deal with it.

Anyway...missed opportunity:

Pretty much Sophocles. Like, what on earth are they attempting to do with this character? Sure it's pretty early on, but he's responsible for Electrium-Z and well...now he's sort of just there.

13. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

Okay, Smogon talk aside, I do wonder why the Plasma Frigate and Kyurem weren't in Episode N considering they apparently had to adapt BW2 no matter what.

14. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

Uh, how'bout no? We're here to discuss what we think are missed opportunities. I am here to share. Deal with that and get off your high horse. Pikachu had plenty of missed opportunities to be replaced, Sun and Moon included.

15. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Pikachu is Ash's best friend and first partner, it's always going to hold a special connection to him by the anime's standards (as in bonds/friendship).

You're here to talk crap about the fact something that is 'not good' by game standards is (alongside Ash) the face of the anime when the two things are completely different in the first case.

16. Jabberwock

Jabberwock Member

Well, if you're gonna insult me that way, then I don't see the point of giving you a proper reply. Ignored.

17. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Maybe you could provide proper arguments to counter people instead of ignoring them and acting like you have a point.

18. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I feel they missed an opportunity with the idea of Ash getting a fossil revived Pokemon. It would be an interesting character; this Pokemon awakens after millions of years confused and unfamiliar with the modern world, eventually becoming comfortable and happy thanks to Ash.

19. Janovy

Janovy Banned

I think they had a similar episode in BW, except Ash only befriended the fossil Pokemon, never caught it.

20. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

It's all about that six student clique with the hero/leader, the cutie, the jock, the heart, the laid-back one, and the nerd. You can't have a class without fulfilling the various tropes, and obviously some characters are going to take the hit in terms of focus.