• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

matt0044

Team Rocket events from the games like Silph or the Pokemon Tower. I can't help but feel like they were planning something with Giovanni but all that went out the window after deciding that Ash would be the permanent protagonist and the TRio as the permanent antagonists.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They kind of dropped the ball with Genesect due to that Mewtwo not being the original, and bringing up plot holes/pretending the OS Mewtwo doesn't exist. If they had OS Mewtwo come up, it would've been a great nostalgic nod and get them more dough

matt0044

They kind of dropped the ball with Genesect due to that Mewtwo not being the original, and bringing up plot holes/pretending the OS Mewtwo doesn't exist. If they had OS Mewtwo come up, it would've been a great nostalgic nod and get them more dough

Yeah, if they brought back Charizard, you'd think they'd keep the nostalgia train a rolling.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Rayquaza not being part of the plot of Kyogre and Groudon.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd say the Team Magma and Team Aqua climax. Also I probably did say this before but the way the anime handled Team Plasma, though part of it is not their fault I guess.

matt0044

Also I probably did say this before but the way the anime handled Team Plasma, though part of it is not their fault I guess.

BW2 or not, they could've had Neo Team Plasma be like the one in BW1 but in slick black uniforms. It could've worked.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
1. Ash's father never appearing. Its one of the biggest mysteries in the anime and Ash's origins are one of the few things that could really get me into the anime again.

2. The G.S. Ball. I know it got ruined by 4th Movie recealing that it contained Celebi. But they could easily have introduced it at a later date with a different pokemon inside it. Jirachi for example even had the right colour scheme. OR they could just have two different Celebis, like when the 7th movie featured two different Deoxys to the ones in the anime.

3. Battle Frontier Saga not going back and visiting characters from the original series in Kanto, there were so many opportunities from A.J. to Pidgeot, but IIRC they didn't even have cameos or have the gym leaders come back.

This is probably just me, but I wanted the stat trainers to get more screentime. As far as I can remember, Cheryl got 3 episodes, Riley got 2, and the rest were CotDs. And as far as I can remember, only Riley's one was particularly interesting or compelling. We could've had a perfect moment in maybe the Battleground, but we never did. Ah well...

I feel like Serena should have gotten a Mega Absol instead of introducing some random Ace Trainer called Astrid. It would have added a lot more depth to her character. Just imagine: Serena catches an Absol but it won't listen to her. She spends a lot of the series trying to bond with it. Then when Korrina shows up, she sets Serena on the path to getting an Absolite. Then her and Korrina could temporarily train alongside eachother trying to master their Mega Evolutions. And come on, that beautiful angel-winged Pokemon would be perfect for performances. He's fabulous. This would also make Serena less weak in the battling area and fill up that lack of development that she had during a lot of XY.

Last edited:

matt0044

2. The G.S. Ball. I know it got ruined by 4th Movie recealing that it contained Celebi. But they could easily have introduced it at a later date with a different pokemon inside it. Jirachi for example even had the right colour scheme. OR they could just have two different Celebis, like when the 7th movie featured two different Deoxys to the ones in the anime.

3. Battle Frontier Saga not going back and visiting characters from the original series in Kanto, there were so many opportunities from A.J. to Pidgeot, but IIRC they didn't even have cameos or have the gym leaders come back.

2. That always bugged me. I get that they want the movies to be pretty light on how it connects with the Anime's storyline so casual viewers (back in the nineties especially) wouldn't feel weird about it. However, they could've worked in the GS Ball somehow. Maybe make the arc they had in mind into the movie itself.

3. That's kinda why they should've have had the setting be the Sevii Island if they weren't going to do much with Kanto like revisit old towns or CoTD. They could've at least rewatched Season 1 to refresh their memories.

Luthor

I think not visiting the Pokémon Dream World was a real missed opportunity. Could have made for an interesting story and given the cast with new pokemon with at the time brand new abilities.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Because the games never had anything of the sort like May when Brendan's selected or Serena when Calem's selected. Hell, Bianca herself was just that whether or not she was challenging Gyms herself. As I recall, the Anime are suppose to showcase what the games have to offer.

Uh, yeah. There are some wrong things with this.

1. The anime shows stuff from the games, but it alters them so much it looks like bastardization sometimes.

2. Ash never existed in the games, and so didn't his anime-only MALE rivals. It really wouldn't be hard to have a female rival for him.

3. This anime takes too many weird liberties.

In other words, this isn't strictly restricted to what the games show. Otherwise, a whole Hoenn area with facilities wouldn't have migrated all across Kanto.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
they should've introduced the other sinnoh frontier brains at some point, even if ash wasn't officially challenging them. the fact that they mentioned that sinnoh had a battle frontier yet only showcased 1 of them always bugged me for some reason.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I think that the animé missed an opportunity in using Hilda as a rival for Ash in BW. She could have been a competent neutral rival. It would have made Ash losing at the beginning of the saga much more bearable. Perhaps they could have even had her win the League like they did with Alain in Kalos. Also, they missed the opportunity to have Serena be either a Sky Trainer or have her challenge the Battle Chateau. Either of those goals would have been much better than Showcases. Heck, they could have had Serena win the Chateau and become a different type of Kalos Queen, maybe driving Ash to win even more, despite his happiness at his friend accomplishing her goal. Finally, they should have had Ash bring back Charizard in Kalos and had him Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard Y. They could have still had Ash-Greninja as well, or had Ash's Greninja have Protean as its ability. Ash and Alain having a Mega Charizard battle (with Ash winning due to Mega Charizard Y's ranged game) would have been far better than wasting Mega Charizard Y on Trevor.

zdbz_sn

- Follow through on the G/S Ball plot, or at least find a more artful way to retire it. Come up with something to fill the gap in the plan in that case.

- Later gens did do this, but - give the travelling companions meaningful arcs, starting with the O/S.

- Either let Ash and friends age, or move the show to a truly cyclical model where a new cast comes in for each gen, no relation to what came before.

- Assuming the former - when the time came to choose between cutting Misty or the TRio as permanent cast members, they should've cut the TRio. In a thoughtful way; they could've done a big arc with Team Rocket as a whole, and had the TRio emerge as heroes. This would've cleared the way for other teams to play the Big Bad in later series.

- Also assuming they stuck with Ash - keep up the continuity. Don't do a decent job of it for a few years and then just give up.

- You brought Ash's Aura in from the films; do something with it! And give him a Riolu while you're at it.

matt0044

Not about the main Anime but I'll never get the lack of Mystery Dungeon series. I mean, the Pokémon franchise does anything for cash and each of the games would make great 26 episode shows. C’mon, if Doctor Who could do spinoffs, why not the Pokémon Anime? Sorry but single episode specials aren’t gonna cut it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Not about the main Anime but I'll never get the lack of Mystery Dungeon series. I mean, the Pokémon franchise does anything for cash and each of the games would make great 26 episode shows. C’mon, if Doctor Who could do spinoffs, why not the Pokémon Anime? Sorry but single episode specials aren’t gonna cut it.

Because then there wouldn't be silly fillers.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ash should've gotten the white Phantump

matt0044

Because then there wouldn't be silly fillers.

I was talking about a Pokemon MD series separate from Ash's story.

Although it would be funny to see Ash and his companion suddenly be plopped into the Mystery Dungeon world.