• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I mentioned this a long time ago, but a missed opportunity was not having Ash accept the Frontier Brain position from Scott.

Wasn't even possible since they scripted the DP series before BF actually began because the DP game release was postponed and BF only being a quick made solution to bridge the time gap.

Navin

MALDREAD
Wasn't even possible since they scripted the DP series before BF actually began because the DP game release was postponed and BF only being a quick made solution to bridge the time gap.

Well they should have changed the script, scrapped any early episodes animated (if there were any), and ran with a post-Frontier Brain Ash premise.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
The biggest missed opportunity is they took a gamble by continuing Ash's story beyond OS instead of starting with another protagonist. In hindsight, this was a huge mistake IMO. It's not like Detective Conan where the characters define what the series is, so this whole "Ash is not aging" nonsense shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. If you can't age a character because it needs to represent the viewers, then scrap it and start over. Changing now after 20 years is way too late and will take a much greater effort than ending it after OS. Of course this whole show is just a 25 minute commercial, but that doesn't mean that you can just dismiss what this show can do in terms of plot. You lose very little by changing early on and possibly gain more flexibility and marketing opportunities, but this much into Ash's adventure it's probably not worth changing.

1000% wholeheartedly agreed to this.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The biggest missed opportunity is they took a gamble by continuing Ash's story beyond OS instead of starting with another protagonist. In hindsight, this was a huge mistake IMO. It's not like Detective Conan where the characters define what the series is, so this whole "Ash is not aging" nonsense shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. If you can't age a character because it needs to represent the viewers, then scrap it and start over. Changing now after 20 years is way too late and will take a much greater effort than ending it after OS. Of course this whole show is just a 25 minute commercial, but that doesn't mean that you can just dismiss what this show can do in terms of plot. You lose very little by changing early on and possibly gain more flexibility and marketing opportunities, but this much into Ash's adventure it's probably not worth changing.

Plus it gives the implications adults have lived for more than what their life span should have had.

pokefandt

Speaking of the Battle Frontier, how come they didn't have the Battle Frontier take place on the Sevii Islands? I mean, seven facilities, seven islands. It practically wrote itself and they wanted to advertised FRLG's latest features.

This is something I whole heartedly agree with, especially since they didn't do anything with the fact they had the BF in Kanto. We didn't run into any old faces after like the first 5 episodes or visit any old places so why bother.

matt0044

This is something I whole heartedly agree with, especially since they didn't do anything with the fact they had the BF in Kanto. We didn't run into any old faces after like the first 5 episodes or visit any old places so why bother.

Yeah, that's another missed opportunity. We could've had callbacks to Season 1 like returning CoTDs or see Anime original cities like Hop Hop Hop Town if they weren't going to use the islands.

Luthor

A major missed opportunity is the Decolore Islands. A filler season is not an issue but there was so little that happened. Not a single capture or evolution by the main cast apart from Team Rocket (and the new ones TR had were never developed) and i think the only new moves shown were the ones that Charizard had when it returned. It was mildly better when team plasma got involved but even that was a little underwhelming before that pretty much nothing happened..

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
A major missed opportunity is the Decolore Islands. A filler season is not an issue but there was so little that happened. Not a single capture or evolution by the main cast apart from Team Rocket (and the new ones TR had were never developed) and i think the only new moves shown were the ones that Charizard had when it returned. It was mildly better when team plasma got involved but even that was a little underwhelming before that pretty much nothing happened..

That and Colress' really uncharacteristic obsession with brainwashing.

matt0044

Makes you wonder why they didn't just have Episode N play out without the Decalore Islands.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Makes you wonder why they didn't just have Episode N play out without the Decalore Islands.

They really should have adapted the game plot from B1W1 instead of going the boring generic villain route. Maybe that would have helped eat up the remaining episodes used for DA as well :/

matt0044

They really should have adapted the game plot from B1W1 instead of going the boring generic villain route. Maybe that would have helped eat up the remaining episodes used for DA as well :/

That's another thing: I can't help but feel like they had a storyline gift wrapped to them from the games and just decided to shelf it largely. I don't just mean the infamous two parter but BW Season 1 overall with other Team Plasma opportunities. In addition to N, they could've been a good reoccuring antagonist group and even have a conflict with Team Rocket in how they go against what Plasma stands for. Maybe give them something of a presence like with grunts standing on soapboxes. Them being in the shadows didn't exactly make sense for them...

It doesn't have to be anything groundbreaker so much as a good story. They did complex reoccurring plots well in Diamond & Pearl. No point in fretting about the next games to come when they could adapt the dual versions first and get them over with.

matt0044

There was no reason to end Episode N that early when 15+ free episodes were left on the docket. Either they couldn't bother fleshing out a villain arc and got lazy, or communication was lacking in having that much extra time left.

Speaking of BW, what did happen to Axew's dream of becoming a Haxorus? I know that he had to be cute and cuddly for the sake of being cute and cuddly but they could've at least addressed it if that was the intention. Maybe have him question how he wants to get stronger whether or not he evolves. Maybe have him evolve after the Unova League in said hypothetical arc.

MattySadler

TMs and HMs have always been a big part of the Pokemon Games, but they haven't really been touched on in the anime, much to my annoyance...

What gets me most about TMs and HMs is I'm fascinated about how they'd work. I mean, in the Games in the past we've seen them portrayed as discs that appear to be "absorbed" by the Pokemon, whilst in the TCG we've seen them portrayed as "boxes" with sticks coming off them (presumably antennae). An easy way to do it I suppose would be to involve the PokeDex, though not every Trainer has a PokeDex, so perhaps the PokeBall would be better?

Anyway...

Other things they've missed out on would just be simple things we've faced in the games. Two Generation I examples that immediately spring to mind would be Rock Tunnel and the whole Team Rocket/ Mr. Fuji/ Pokemon Tower/ Cubone's Mother thing, though I suppose both may be too dark for such a light-hearted anime (the first literally, the second figuratively.

matt0044

The same evil beast that destroyed Oshawott's long winning streak halfway through the region and reduced him to utter comic relief.

MARKETING.

Yeah, I know. But why didn't they just write an episode to address this? Or at least wait until the tail end of the show to let him evolve? At least, Piplup had something of an explanation. This is just a gaping plot hole they never even attempt to fill.

And speaking of Oshawott, why couldn't he be comical and badass in battle? It's not impossible if done well. Avatar had Sokka and Bolin balance both sides of their characters quite well.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Yeah, I know. But why didn't they just write an episode to address this? Or at least wait until the tail end of the show to let him evolve? At least, Piplup had something of an explanation. This is just a gaping plot hole they never even attempt to fill.

And speaking of Oshawott, why couldn't he be comical and badass in battle? It's not impossible if done well. Avatar had Sokka and Bolin balance both sides of their characters quite well.

Not to mention that DP had Gible.

matt0044

Not to mention that DP had Gible.

Exactly. Personally, I feel like they could've had Oshawott evolve into Dewott only if nothing else and have him be a beast in battle but a total cutie otherwise. I mean, c'mon, don't tell me that pouty face isn't adorable.

Navin

MALDREAD
Exactly. Personally, I feel like they could've had Oshawott evolve into Dewott only if nothing else and have him be a beast in battle but a total cutie otherwise. I mean, c'mon, don't tell me that pouty face isn't adorable.

[IMG300]http://img13.deviantart.net/e2c5/i/2012/125/b/3/oshawatt_dewott_samurott_by_koji45-d4ylpm3.jpg[/IMG300]

Too edgy and not as kawaii for dem Japanese kids.

matt0044

[IMG300]http://img13.deviantart.net/e2c5/i/2012/125/b/3/oshawatt_dewott_samurott_by_koji45-d4ylpm3.jpg[/IMG300]

Too edgy and not as kawaii for dem Japanese kids.

Samurott maybe but Dewott could be cute.