• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

SinnohEevee

There are some many that it's hard to make a list:

* Ash should have won and Sinnoh League and BW should have started with a new protagonist.
* Ash should have talked about May when Serena decided to go to Hoenn.
* Pokémon Showcases are a waste. They should have used Contests instead given ORAS and the fact Serena ended up going to Hoenn for the Contests.
* We know nothing about what happened to Trollbias even though we saw Cynthia in BW.
* There should have been more exploration of Team Plasma and their motives.
* They shouldn't have added insult to injury by making Ash lose to a TOTAL IDIOT in Unova and have his ranking regress.
* More filler episodes could have featured Ash catching a Pokémon.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
* More filler episodes could have featured Ash catching a Pokémon.

Most notably the Phantump one, since Ash had an empty slot, didn't have a Grass-type, had never owned a Ghost-type, and the Phantump was at first scared of other Pokémon but learned over the course of the episode to like meeting other Pokémon. It would have made much more sense for it to want to travel after that than for it to want to stay back with the other Phantump.

Marianna

Why was Trip so mean to Ash because of being from Kanto? I assume it was because it's a reference to Unova being based on a big city (New York) while Kanto is a more small hometown place. And usually big city people are portrayed as being arrogant and snobby while the small town people are more naive and humble. Which I guess can fit Trip and Ash kind of well in the BW arc.

matt0044

Trip always felt like he was a less important rival in the role of an important rival and it all petered out in the Unovan League. If they wanted somebody like Paul, they could've gone with N. They didn't even need Team Plasma to be that prominent either since, well, he's the king.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Trip always felt like he was a less important rival in the role of an important rival and it all petered out in the Unovan League. If they wanted somebody like Paul, they could've gone with N. They didn't even need Team Plasma to be that prominent either since, well, he's the king.

Team Plasma in general was a missed opportunity. They could've and should've had Zekrom and Reshiram fight

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Team Plasma in general was a missed opportunity. They could've and should've had Zekrom and Reshiram fight

Who knows all the different ways Pokémon history may have been different if those #TRvTP had aired?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Who knows all the different ways Pokémon history may have been different if those #TRvTP had aired?

As far as I know, the TRvTP two-parter was about TR and TP fighting over an oversized rock instead of TP advocating for people to release their Pokemon like in the games.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
As far as I know, the TRvTP two-parter was about TR and TP fighting over an oversized rock instead of TP advocating for people to release their Pokemon like in the games.

So in other words they would've been badly written from the beginning? Given how they treat villainous teams who are not Team Rocket, I can imagine that

matt0044

So in other words they would've been badly written from the beginning? Given how they treat villainous teams who are not Team Rocket, I can imagine that

There's another missed opportunity there: to sort of flesh out the evil teams and maybe portray the grunts as more human. Like in Avatar: The Last Airbender, we see certain Fire Nation soldiers and guards who are given dialogue that portrays them less as faceless stormtroopers and more as just people who aren't on the side of our protagonists. They're a part of the antagonists because they see themselves as making the world a better place, because they were tricked or both.

Hell, the Pokemon games might show them as weirdos or idiots but their dialogue kind of endears us to them as some of them are people who fell into the wrong crowd or are just getting a kick out of making mischief. The Anime seems to take the easy way out in making them deary-eyed "srs biznis" baddies.

I can't help but feel like the antagonists subplots in the games could be adapted into the series right from the get-go, adapting new game elements as they go but in a seamless way.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Two MOs I can think of from Gen VI:

Frogadier and Hawlucha should have used Super Flying Cut outside of its debut episode. As it stands, there was no point to learning that combo. Frogadier and Hawlucha did later battle together in a double battle in XY73, so maybe it could have been used then.

Wulfric should have had Articuno instead of Bergmite, and that should have been his true ace. After Ash-Greninja beats Mega Abomasnow and we're all wondering how Wulfric's third Pokémon could possibly top a Mega, he whips out Articuno. Pikachu could have been the fall guy to allow Ash-Greninja to get 2 wins. This would have allowed all 3 Kanto legendary birds to appear in Kalos

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Wulfric should have had Articuno instead of Bergmite, and that should have been his true ace. After Ash-Greninja beats Mega Abomasnow and we're all wondering how Wulfric's third Pokémon could possibly top a Mega, he whips out Articuno. Pikachu could have been the fall guy to allow Ash-Greninja to get 2 wins. This would have allowed all 3 Kanto legendary birds to appear in Kalos

Glad they didn't do something so ridiculous like this. We already have the frog overglorification as it is, imagine how silly would be giving it an unrealistic feat like this and then having Ash losing the league at the end. The salt for the Kalos League loss would be nothing compared to something like that.
There are much better ways to show an Articuno in the show.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

We got nothing about May when ORAS was a thing. I know her VA is sick, but they could have made some mentions at least. She's also the female PC in Hoenn games.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
There are much better ways to show an Articuno in the show.

I just mean that Moltres and Zapdos both appeared in the XY anime while Articuno didn't

I just mean that Moltres and Zapdos both appeared in the XY anime while Articuno didn't

Articuno garnered the most fans in Pokemon GO. It had clearly been advertised enough through that.

/sarcasm

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Articuno was spared from a cameo in XY because Ash lacked the extra Flying type Mon that would have evolved against a legendary.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
There's a theory that Articuno didn't appear because Chespin went to Clemont. Ash and Serena got the starters that allow Moltres and Zapdos to appear and represent the player character. Since Clemont isn't a player character, Chespin didn't trigger the Articuno event.

Red and Blue

There's a theory that Articuno didn't appear because Chespin went to Clemont. Ash and Serena got the starters that allow Moltres and Zapdos to appear and represent the player character. Since Clemont isn't a player character, Chespin didn't trigger the Articuno event.
While that's an interesting theory i might have believed that more if Serena was the one who fought Zapdos instead of Ash's Noivern

But then again, Mairin always seemed to somewhat represent a main character to me, like a beginning trainer, and she has a Chespin. I personally don't buy it.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There's another missed opportunity there: to sort of flesh out the evil teams and maybe portray the grunts as more human. Like in Avatar: The Last Airbender, we see certain Fire Nation soldiers and guards who are given dialogue that portrays them less as faceless stormtroopers and more as just people who aren't on the side of our protagonists. They're a part of the antagonists because they see themselves as making the world a better place, because they were tricked or both.

Hell, the Pokemon games might show them as weirdos or idiots but their dialogue kind of endears us to them as some of them are people who fell into the wrong crowd or are just getting a kick out of making mischief. The Anime seems to take the easy way out in making them deary-eyed "srs biznis" baddies.

I can't help but feel like the antagonists subplots in the games could be adapted into the series right from the get-go, adapting new game elements as they go but in a seamless way.

If more children's shows were like Avatar and Steven Universe we would live in a better world

matt0044

If more children's shows were like Avatar and Steven Universe we would live in a better world

I'll give them credit when they give them a good dose of diabolicalness and witty dialogue so long as they have the skills to pay the bills too. I'd say Hunter J comes close to this.