• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

MaplePhanpy

Anywayz...
Wow, this is your best work yet! I like the fact that the Clamperl is like that guy with the ring from 'The Hobbit'.
Though I don't understand the "Seed Pearl" thing...

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
His name's Golem and a seed-pearl is the term given to a pearl in its early stages. In real life oysters (not clams :rolleyes:) make pearls by coating a clump of sand or a small pebble in layers of what is effectively hardened saliva until it is smooth enough to not bother them.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
I really liked that, it was interesting.:D

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@JammyU: Thanks for the explanation! You'll never know what you might hear about next around me.

@MarshtompMan: Sure, I'll add you.

The next entry should be up tomorrow morning, barring any phone line hijinks (which is entirely possible...). I've got a little offer for you in the meantime.

Since some interest has been shown in it, I’ve decided to let other people write up this kind of story. It’d be selfish of me not to share this fun little exercise. Of course, having one person do an entry won’t stop me from writing my own for the same Pokemon; it’ll just be a bit of extra challenge to do something different. But I will impose a few rules on other writers. If you want to post a Pokedex one-shot in your own thread, you can do it however you like. But if you’d like it seen in this thread, please follow these rules.

1. This thread is rated PG, so keep your story under that limit.

2. If you can’t fit it into one post, it’s too long.

3. The final version of the story must be approved by me, so please PM it to get permission to post it in this thread. If I don’t approve, I’ll explain why and point out potential improvements.

4. Use good grammar. I’m not a grammar Nazi by any means, but there should be clarity in all writing.

5. There must be a clear connection between the Pokedex entry and the story. In the same manner, the Pokemon you have chosen must be the main focus or theme.

And with those rules, here are some optional guidelines.

Which Pokemon should you choose? Any of them are open. If you pick one that’s been used before, make sure your story is noticeably different. I highly encourage choosing obscure or less popular Pokemon, to give them a chance to shine. I discourage legendaries for this exercise, but if you really want to, follow the previous advice and take a less popular one. Example: Mew, no; Regigigas, yes.

When looking for the actual entry, I recommend choosing the R/S/FR/LG/E ‘dex here on Serebii. You’ll get the most options for the ‘flavor text’ there. Of course, if the one you pick is D/P only, you’ll have to check the listing for those games.

Avoid outside influences... but I realize that writers tend to have minds like sponges, soaking up all sorts of this and that for use in stories. If there is an outside influence, it should be fairly obvious (Example: Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn showing up in the Spiritomb entry) or you can admit it up front (Example: my Skitty entry).

When writing a story of only a few pages, you need to be both clear and brief. Keep the plot simple so you don’t have to explain a lot for the readers to understand what’s going on.

Remember this phrase: So very suddenly. These are the three most overused words in fiction (as I hear it), so be careful of them. But see, due to my speech habits, I tend to use ‘so’ a lot. In most places, they’re just fluff. ‘Very fast’ should only be used if the speed is extreme; ‘stopped suddenly’ is not much different than ‘stopped’. ‘So’ becomes a problem in a phrase like ‘so mad’ where, again, it’s not much different than just ‘mad’. This is more general advice than anything, but I find it helpful.

I’m interested to see what comes of this. But remember: this is all for fun, so don’t stress out over it. If you can’t figure out a story, choose another Pokemon.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I'll gladly take you up on that offer :D. Now I just have to think of a pokemon to write about.....

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Now as promised, the third of my doubles. I haven't played Pokemon Ranger myself, but it looks nifty.

Btw, when I was looking up this pair, I noticed that Donphan can learn Rapid Spin... thinks of a two hundred pound plus critter spinning rapidly... scary!

In Process: Snorlax
On Deck: Ditto, Snorunt

PHANPY
Fire Red entry: As a sign of affection, it bumps with its snout. However, it is so strong, it may send you flying.

DONPHAN
Sapphire entry: If Donphan were to tackle with its hard body, even a house could be destroyed. Using its massive strength, the Pokemon helps clear rock and mud slides that block mountain trails.

Orange Canyon was one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, but also one of the deadliest. The brilliant orange, red, and yellow stone walls were sheer drops to the canyon floor, sometimes two hundred feet below. The pristine Manaphy River came in extreme white water rapids, only for the expert boater. And the patches of greenery scattered along the canyon floor often held unique Pokemon. Uniquely dangerous, though, as the land was much harsher than it appeared to be. Pokemon always mirrored the land they had come from.

The trails that ran up and down the canyon walls were often narrow and steep. Therefore, it was somewhat of a surprise to see a large Donphan walking down one of these paths. He was three and a half feet high and bulky with muscles, but he carefully picked his way down the canyon trail. A Pokemon Ranger walked in front of him, wearing the traditional red hat and jacket. A Ranger’s jacket was a valuable piece of his equipment. It was the Swiss Army knife of clothing, a light looking piece that held far more uses than one would imagine.

Behind the Donphan walked a Phanpy. This smaller blue Pokemon kept hold of the Donphan’s tail as they walked along. Behind that Phanpy was another Phanpy, and a third tagged along at the rear. They all flapped their ears periodically; it was already warm and small Bugs were trying to bother them. These four and their Ranger were responsible for keeping the camping area safe and enjoyable for visiting campers.

“This doesn’t look good,” the Ranger said as they got to the canyon floor. There was a pile of yellow-orange rocks a short distance ahead, evidence of a rock slide. He had brought his team down when a camper registered at this location failed to show up. Parts of the wall were always coming loose, thanks to a proliferation of rock-eaters like Geodude and Arron. The Ranger snapped his fingers. “You three, go check it out.”

Obediently, the three Phanpys left the line and rolled ahead. They were noticeably faster than the muddy brown Donphan, but all the members of this team were valuable. At the pile of rocks, the Phanpys sniffed around with their snouts. One trumpeted, then the other two joined in. They smelled a human trapped under the rocks.

“Is the person you smell alive?” the Ranger asked.

They gave two short bursts. Yes, they smelled a living person.

“Donphan, clear the rocks, but be careful. Number three, keep your nose on the pile. One and two, clear the smaller rocks and push them away.”

The four trumpeted in agreement and went to work. The Donphan picked up the largest rocks and set them aside. One Phanpy would then push the rocks out of the way while the other picked up what rocks she could handle. The third watched the pile, occasionally telling her partners when the pile got unstable.

In the meantime, the Ranger pulled out his radio. “Canyon Headquarters, this is Ranger Phil. I’ve got a camper trapped under a rockslide; we’ll need a medical teleport.”

“Confirming location... we’re getting the medical team out, wait there.”

“Roger.”

The supervising Phanpy called, “Phaaaa!” That was a definite call for Phil to come check something out.

The Ranger went over. The Donphan was setting down a large sheet of rock, but didn’t move to take another off. “What’s the hold up?”

“Fee,” she pointed, tapping a gray rock with her snout.

A gray rock? There weren’t any gray rocks native to Orange Canyon, at least none he’d seen. Ranger Phil touched it. There was a warmth to it, and a pulse of energy. “It’s an Onix, I think. Hmm.”

The Ranger then pulled a small gun out of his jacket. His Pokemon looked at it warily; it was sometimes necessary, even if it stung. There were spray medicines that could heal Pokemon. These were either sprayed directly onto a wound or into a Pokemon’s mouth. But if the Pokemon was too injured and couldn’t swallow anything, this needle gun was needed to apply the medicine. Phil loaded a Revive dose into it and injected it.

It took a moment, but the Onix regained consciousness. Finding herself covered in rocks, she shook the pile away and caused two of the Phanpys to squeal. Her trainer, a geologist who’d come looking for fossils, had been right under her.

Phil pulled out a bottle of vitamin water, specially enhanced to assist victims of dehydration. “Here you are, sir. We’ll have a healer out here for you shortly.”

“Thank you,” the geologist mumbled before taking a long drink of water.

“Your Onix protected you well; doesn’t appear to be much wrong with you.”

The Onix made a proud purring sound, something odd coming from a creature made of rocks.

“I’m sorry, Shale,” the geologist said. “I should have listened to you. I was so upset when you blacked out.”

“Phaa,” Phanpy Number Three replied and patted the geologist on the shoulder. Unfortunately, this pushed him over.

Phil smiled despite himself. “Oh, sorry sir. The little guys often don’t know their own strength.”

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Ysavvryl: I like the new entry, great as aleays :D.

All Pokedex One-Shot Readers: I've written my own pokedex one-shot and Ysavvryl's A-OKed it. I've posted it as a new thread though beacuse I figure I can give credit in it and therefore get this thread more readers :).

Libie

Oh no, poor geologist... I always figured they were up to no good, with just a light backpack and a spyglass... I like how you described the Canyon and the river (Manaphy river, that has a nice ring to it!), it's very realistic. And the doting Onix was too sweet. Though I'm scratching my head as to how Phil injected that needle into a rock xD Oh, and the Phanpys are adorable. I've always loved how cute they were. Holding onto each others tails like elephants, how sweet! I think writing one of these one-shots would be a nice challenge sometime, I've never been good at one-shots :)

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
I think that was amazing, i loved the typical elephant behaivor and i also like how you portray some pokemon as female when I only picture them male (onix, umbreon, gible)
it changes my whole view on them :)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@MarshtompMan: I stopped taking requests for a bit because I had a bunch, and I didn't really want people to wait long to see what they asked for. I'll go ahead and add that one to the list.

To all else, I'll open up requests next round.

Ugh, getting Snorlax's color right was annoying. At first, I thought it was pink or red; can't say why I was thinking that. Then I checked here and find out that it's blue-gray... or violet-gray... or green-gray... or if it's shiny, light blue, blue-gray, or a different light blue. Sheesh.

If you're thinking of doing a 'dex One-shot, Snorlax basically has two different entries, as several only vary in wording. Try the R/S/E entry, as it looks pretty easy.

In Process: Ditto
On Deck: Snorunt, Shedinja

SNORLAX
Leaf Green entry: Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful.

KAAAAACK-shooo...

It was a horrendous sound, echoing across the mountainside. It filled the minds of those who heard it. It terrified the young. It made the trees shiver. It would have rattled glass if there was any glass around. Not a single Pokemon, save one, could sleep with the awful snores pounding through their heads.

KAAAAACK-shooo...

“He’s a menace to our community,” a Spearow said, trying to keep his ears covered with his wings.

“My babies shouldn’t have to grow up around this,” a Pidgeotto agreed.

“And he doesn’t even do anything anymore,” the Spearow went on. “He wakes up, goes and eats whatever is close at hand...”

“And he eats all the food that’s there,” a Rattata interrupted. “Won’t even share a single crumb.”

“Then he just plops down wherever he is and goes back to sleep,” the Spearow finished.

KAAAAACK-shooo....

“Aaah, I can’t take this anymore!” a Geodude said. “We have to do something.”

“But what? The fool won’t listen to reason. And just look at him! You think you can defeat that?”

A Machoke clapped his powerful hands together. “Let’s roll him down the mountain!”

The second Machoke there cheered the idea. “That’s the stuff! Just push him out of our neighborhood.”

“You guys just like rolling things down the mountain,” the Geodude sniffed. “Or do you not recall ‘Bowling for Doduos’?”

KAAAAAAACK-shooooo...

“Oh, just let them do it,” the Pidgeotto said. “As long as it gets rid of that terrible noise, I don’t care.”

“So can we?” the first Machoke asked.

“All right,” the Spearow said. “But make sure it gets rid of him.”

The two Machokes gave each other hi-fives and crept over to the slumbering Snorlax. He was a Pokemon of unbelievable girth, a rotund ball of thick fat and violet-gray fur that could sleep for days. Sometimes the little Rattatas would jump on his belly for fun, but when he was snoring, few dared to come close.

KAAAAAACK-shooooo...

“Right, ready?” the first Machoke whispered.

“Ready, bro.”

“Then let’s go.”

They each put both hands and a shoulder against the beast, then began to shove. But even though they were the strongest Pokemon in the mountains, the Snorlax was the heaviest Pokemon in the region. Because his flesh was so soft, it was hard for them to get a good shoving position.

“This might be too much, bro,” the second Machoke said.

“Don’t give up. We can do this.”

KAAAAAACK-shooooo....

The snore rattled their bodies, making them feel sore all over. But that only added to their determination. They pushed the Snorlax up. They tilted him to get his body unbalanced. After a couple of minutes, they had him rolled over just enough that gravity took hold and pulled the Snorlax’s body down onto a slope.

And the Snorlax rolled, to the cheers of his former neighbors. As he picked up speed, he began to break weak rocks and start small landslides. He squashed flowers, then bushes. He hit the wooded area below and knocked down trees. He hit a bump that sent him flying over a pretty white picket fence. The resulting landing was mistaken for an earthquake in the gatehouse nearby, smashing a few plates and causing someone to have a bloody nose.

The Snorlax blinked.

He sat up and looked at his surroundings. This wasn’t where he had gone to sleep. Nearby, he smelled the sweet scent of ripe berries. He plucked the bush from the ground and ate every bit of it: berries, leaves, branches, roots, and dirt. Then he plopped down and went back to sleep, blocking off access to the Bike Road.

Kaaaa-shoooo...

Libie

That was really good! You seem to have a kind of effortless simplicity to your writing. I love the Pokemon neighbours complaining, and the nosebleed was a nice touch :) I did always wonder how the Snorlax got next to the Cycling Road! It's quite good how despite being the subject of the piece, the Snorlax only plays a passive role. I love your dex entries :)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Did you expect something as lazy as Snorlax to play an active part in anything?

*giggles* Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
LOL Great as usual. The mystery of Snorlax and the cycling road is solved ;).

showers_213

*clap clap* *double applause* ^^

Yayy! Another terrific entry!

Oh, yeah, if you don't mind, could you do an entry of Vaporeon for me?

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Going with keeping my limit to five in wait, I can only take one more request now if I add that Vaporeon. Partly it's because I'm adding in my own request. It's a kinda weird double; some of you might go "What? But that should be..." Trust me on this. It's a good story.

In Process: Snorunt
On Deck: Shedinja, Zangoose/Gardevoir, Vaporeon

DITTO
Ruby/Sapphire entry: Ditto rearranges its cell structure to transform itself into other shapes. However, if it tries to transform itself into something by relying on its memory, this Pokemon manages to get details wrong.

Ditto was sitting by a bush, munching on berries, minding its own business. The Rawst berries were good and ripe, and if somebody didn’t eat them soon, they’d go bad. Not wanting to see that happen, it felt obliged to take care of the situation before it became a problem.

As a Pokemon, it wasn’t much to look at. A Ditto was a soft pink glob with small eyes and a slit for a mouth. It wasn’t bothered by appearances, though. So long as nobody bothered it, it wouldn’t bother nobody.

But somebody decided that it was a bother. A small purple Rattata leapt in front of Ditto. “<Scram, stranger! This is my bush!>”

“<Eek!>” Ditto swept up a cloud of dust. While it was thus covered, it molded itself into an exact replica of the Rattata. “<Leave me be.>”

Blinking, the Rattata got on his hind legs. “<Huh? You a cousin or something?>”

“<Yes, I’m just visiting. Sorry for the bother.>”

“<Oh. Well that’s fine.>” He furrowed his eyes, lacking eyebrows to perform the motion. “<But I thought you were some weird globby thing.>”

“<No, no. Your eyes must be playing tricks on you. I’m just an ordinary Pokemon.>”

“<Okay. Well, enjoy the berries.>” He nipped a few off himself and ran back to his burrow.

Once the Rattata was gone, Ditto transformed back. If it stayed as the rodent, it might attract predators. It continued eating until full, then set off to find a hiding spot to sleep.

It was able to travel alongside the human-made road for some time, remaining hidden in the tall grass. But when Ditto spotted an ideal hiding place, it was across the road. Not wanting to draw attention to itself, it decided to turn back into the Rattata. Now, what color had it been? Yellow? Yeah, that seemed right, a greenish-yellow. Ditto transformed into a yellow Rattata and ran across the road.

A high-pitched squeal stopped him dead in his tracks. A human girl was jumping up and down while clapping her hands. “Omigosh, omigosh, a shiny Rattata! It’s sooo much cuter than other Rattatas! And shinys are so rare, wowza! I’m gonna catch it and it’s gonna be MINE! Go Wartortle!”

Her Wartortle, which had been hiding in her shell since the shrieking began, emerged reluctantly. “<Okay, okay,>” she muttered. “<Keep the noise down, would ya?>” She fired a round of fast water balls at Ditto.

Panicking, Ditto launched an attack. Any attack, just so long as it got rid of them. It fired a similar round of fire balls at the Wartortle, unfortunately to little effect.

“I’ve never seen a Rattata use Ember before,” a boy with them said meekly.

“That just means she’s more special! You’re mine!” She threw a Pokeball at Ditto, then ran over to pick it up.

“Um, you’re supposed to wait just in case they break loose.”

“I don’t have to. Okay, let’s have you out so I can show you off right away!” She pressed the release button.

The shock of being captured had transformed Ditto back. It was a confused glob now. “<What’s going on?>” it asked.

“What?!” the girl screamed, causing everyone to wince. “You’re not a shiny Rattata.”

“No, just a regular old Ditto,” her companion said.

“You shut up!” She yanked the ball apart, causing it to disintegrate. “Get out of my sight!”

“<Thank you,>” Ditto said wearily, moving off to its hiding spot. It really needed a good sleep now.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
LOL, the girl sounds like Dawn, is that who it's supposed to be?

Zangoose/Gardevoir, hey? It is a weird combination, but if you say it's good I believe ya.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I don't watch the anime, so I wouldn't know if that's Dawn. Actually, I was thinking of Carmelita Spatz from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

But I didn't have anywhere to add in 'cakesniffers'.