• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokegear, a step up or a step down?

Pokegear's usefull or not?

• Yes

Votes: 126 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I never used it

Votes: 8 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
how is the pokegear a step down? it was great with oak on the radio and all the info on i think swarms. how is it a step down when R/B/Y didnt have anythin like it

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I loved the PokeGear, and personally Johto or 2nd gen wouldnt be the same without it. Tbh, I wish they would revamp the PokeGear as I like it better(look wise and just cause it pwnd) better than the nav and eetch

Sunraichu

goldenslaughterer
I liked the Pokegear better than the Nav or the Tech. It was the best one out of the three, and I would like to see a revamped pokegear.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I liked the addition of the time, I never really used it since I always wore a watch, but it was great nonetheless. And of course having your map in there is invaluable the first time or two that you go through the game, after which point you don't really need the map.

For its time is was certainly a step up, obviously now it's considered kinda useless.

leon25270

<- Zap Cannon Espeon
Of course it was a step up. Like you said, it started the Poke-Applications Era.
I found the cell phone very useful. You could rebattle at least 9 generic trainers just by getting their phone numbers.
The map... not so much...
The radio... some of the stations seemed practically useless... But I enjoyed it, nonetheless.

treespyro

Vintage much?
I loved it as well, It was so much better and the Friends that called you have actually something important to tell you

TrainerxDiana

Seriously, I loved the PokeGear. It could be used so well in a new game too, upgraded with apps and all.

Pokelight_Admin

The PokeGear was a definite yes. More than what the first generation had to offer. The radio portion was unique because as of this point, not other game has has an application like the radio. The rest of the PokeGear, you can say, "paved the way" for the PokeNav in the 3rd Generation.

i thought the pokegear was good, i used it for annoying the people who gave you evolution stones is crystal version

it was also the only thing you could use to wake up snorlax, and you could use it to see where you were or to listen to different types of music

the ????? music was really werid though..

Patman

Cursed shadow
i thought it was a pretty neat feature to have. Except i was always bothered that when someone called..they'd always tell the same story...
In the end i only registered numbers of people who had strong pokemon who wanted to fight again

Icyflame

The pokegear was a nice step forward. I liked how it implemented a lot of things together like a map, cell phone, and radio. Plus, the radio and cell phone were useful enough to get info on items and swarms.

Raikou_fan

I found the pokegear very helpful. The only thing that bugged me was the random trainers constantly bugging me. When they called about swarms events etc. it was ok, but when it was just to be annoying I didn't like it.

Torpoleon

This was a start to phone usage in Pokemon games and it is very useful.

Bobtron

ERR:SYNTAX
I thought it was useful, with the radio, map, clock, and phone… Although I was annoyed by the trainers calling me about their days (which is pointless). I really don't care, callers!

Yogurt

I think the cell phone and map provided the most use. I remember playing red and I was like "what where is the cell phone???!" ;)

It's useful. It wasn't my favorite thing, especially when running around, and I would get a call from some person who told me nothing important.
But it had some useful features that started off all of the handheld devices in pokemon that helped up on our adventure (Pokenav and such).

well.... it had to be a step up, the password show and how it helped u alot and it was a good substitute for the poke flute

Fire Storm

I really liked the Pokegear better than any of its "descendants." For me, the main appeal of the 2nd generation was the sense of realism (don't flame me, I know just how unrealistic the games are...). The atmosphere was amazing because of the level of detail within the game -- something lacking in more recent installments.

For all of those annoyed by the Pokegear calls, it would be easy enough to delete numbers if you felt they were not worth it. Even if you wanted to save them for their respective uses, it doesn't take that long to skip the conversation.

I found that the Pokenav was too omnicient and slightly bizarre. Teh Poketch is a close runner-up to Pokegear, but lacks the phone and radio while gaining so many useless apps that it is impossible to navigate.

In conclusion, I think that the Pokegear was the most practical and most pleasant experience of the equipment to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.