• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeGear Speculation Thread

Golde

Always Searching~
This is a thread created to talk about the Pokegear, the popular device used by many trainers in Johto. Here, you can talk about upgrades/downgrades to the Pokegear in HG/SS, i.e., new upgrade cards, more radio stations, phone calls, etc.

Have fun :)

Armored Zangoose

Well, obviously it'll be put on the touch Screen. Most likely, they'll replace the Map Card with the Marking Map. I suppose it's possible some Poketch Apps will be added to it.

Also, do you remember the Friday Night Radio Show in Crystal, where it would announce a Pokemon, and you'd go to the Radio Tower to get points for prizes. Do you think they should add that to HG/SS?

EmpoleonRules

Water FTW!
They'll probably mix the Pokétch and the PokéGear together with various apps and stuff. I also think it will be on the touch screen like the Pokétch was.

brisngr9021

VVV Post VVV
I hated most of the Poketch, so I hope not. Some, like the Breeding app are useful, but mostly I hope those will just be add ons - none of the crap ones like flipping coin >_<.
I hope they all stay - they're all wonderful.

brisngr9021

VVV Post VVV
I hated most of the Poketch, so I hope not. Some, like the Breeding app are useful, but mostly I hope those will just be add ons - none of the crap ones like flipping coin >_<.
I hope they all stay - they're all wonderful.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Here's what I'd like to see:
  • Bottom screen type functionality like the Poketch, but in full colour and high-res.
  • Phone with unlimited slots for all the trainers who want to add you.
  • "Do not disturb" option where you only receive important calls.
  • Combined TV/Radio setup, with all the usual radio stations, plus one or two TV stations you can pick up.
  • More apps; calculator, notepad, etc...

Pokemon_Center

Pokemon Fan!
Yay the pokegear is gonna look like the poketech!

I think the Pokegear will surely have
a Radio and a Calling device
like how there is on the old games where you can call
home,the professor and other trainers. :]

Cool. Pokegear on touch screen. Well, mostly the calling function and Radio options will most likely be there. And other apps from Poketch too. Basically, a Pokegear+Poketch would do great for me.^^ It's a win-win to anyone, even if they never liked the Poketch or anything else...

Golde

Always Searching~
I don't want it to be anything like the Poketch. At all.

Here's what I'd like to see:
  • Bottom screen type functionality like the Poketch, but in full colour and high-res.
  • Phone with unlimited slots for all the trainers who want to add you.
    [*]"Do not disturb" option where you only receive important calls.
    [*]Combined TV/Radio setup, with all the usual radio stations, plus one or two TV stations you can pick up.
  • More apps; calculator, notepad, etc...

The ones in Bold I agree with, but I don't want unlimited slots. I don't want to talk with trainers I hate, I just want my friends on there. I actually enjoy hearing how people are doing, though :)

But not too many Aps, maybe, like, a calculator, but not too many. And one's a lot cooler than the Poketch Apps. And in color.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think it'll just be like the Poketch, except it'll have Match Call, a Radio, and a Map (which will probably require more than just the touch screen). What they could do, though, is make it like an iPhone or something and have a main menu, or let you select an app like normal. And I like the Do not disturb idea MetalMario suggested.

Black Diaruga

Chahuistle
Golde said:
I don't want to talk with trainers I hate, I just want my friends on there. I actually enjoy hearing how people are doing, though :)
The Match Call had "unlimited" space for trainers. You could have as many trainers registered to rebattle as there were programmed in the game. So I don't see why not just let you register every trainer that you can rebattle, even though the Vs. Seeker would be a lot better than this.

Black Doom said:
And I like the Do not disturb idea MetalMario suggested. It was annoying when the n00bish trainers called just to tell me about their pathetic attempts to become a competent trainer.
I don't think they will implement such option. Mainly because sometimes you need to receive a call to be able to progress in the game's story, like at the beginning of the game. MAYBE they will allow you to block or delete some trainer's numbers if you don't want to receive spam calls from them.

diamonddialgapikamew

The Match Call had "unlimited" space for trainers. You could have as many trainers registered to rebattle as there were programmed in the game. So I don't see why not just let you register every trainer that you can rebattle, even though the Vs. Seeker would be a lot better than this.

I don't think they will implement such option. Mainly because sometimes you need to receive a call to be able to progress in the game's story, like at the beginning of the game. MAYBE they will allow you to block or delete some trainer's numbers if you don't want to receive spam calls from them.

he said only important calls come through
you basically said the same thing as him
not a bad idea

Golde

Always Searching~
Here's something I'd like...I liked the radio station music, but I hated how when yous witched routes or did anything really it stopped...I think it should stay on until you hit a button that turns it off or something.

And keep the daily station things promos, but add more stations.

I'm hoping they'll keep the radio and the phone, just so it doesn't replace the Vs.Seeker. A few extra Poketch apps would be nice too.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Why not both? Trainers registered in your phone would make significant progress with their teams, invite you to battles, and give you items (as in Crystal), while the other trainers could still be challenged with the VS Seeker but would only upgrade their teams by smaller levels and maybe evolutions.

You would still receive important calls, like when Team Rocket takes over the Radio Tower, and maybe a few from Elm.

There should also be some trainers in Kanto who want to add you to the phone. (And I don't just mean like Birdkeeper Jose on that new route which is tecnically part of Kanto.)

And I would definitely like a Calculator, a Notepad, and a Counter that doesn't forget its value all the time.

Marking Map also makes sense for easy catdog tracking, but IMO, they should only show up on it after you've seen them once, and be colour coded.

Arande

Hmmm, people keep talking about the radio. The DSi does have the SD slot. Random thought would be nice if the radio played music from your SD card. (speaking of which, that could be used for extra boxes, recording videos if they keep some form of the recorder, etc. But those are for rant for other threads)

Would also be nice if they added some pokegear device that gives some indication on a pokemons IV's. Remeber that guy on the frontier in emerald who did that?

Last edited:

firepokemontrainer

I'd personally love to see a mix between the Pokegear and the Poketch. This is how I believe the 4th Gen Pokegear will work:

Digital Clock App
Breeding Center App
Pedometer App
Phone App
Radio App
Friendship Checker App
Berry Searcher App
Marking Map App (doubles as Map as well).
Move Checker App

Feel free to disagree, but I think those were the ones I thought were most usable.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Would also be nice if they added some pokegear device that gives some indication on a pokemons IV's. Remeber that guy on the frontier in emerald who did that?
I actually thought it would work better if you had that in the stat screen, itself. (As an upgrade you'd get at some point.) All your flawless IVs would be coloured gold, and your highest IV (if none are flawless) would be coloured red.