• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PokeGyms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I knew that was there but I remember him saying that at one time the teams HAD to be 6 of that type, but I could be mistaken. You were around in the beginning so I guess you would know xD

I don't remember ever saying that, though I mentioned challengers having to use the same team multiple times. As for the elite 4 rules... I find it funny that the difficulty is a problem that people want to change

Morokei

Pokegym Steel E4
I don't remember ever saying that, though I mentioned challengers having to use the same team multiple times. As for the elite 4 rules... I find it funny that the difficulty is a problem that people want to change

Lol well to be fair from what I can gather just based off of where people win and lose, its a team archetype problem. Like I gather that every member uses something like balance/hyper offense/bulk with stall being an exception. Then the metagame being crowded as Mr. Y pointed just multiplies that initial difficulty due to it already being extremely difficult to make a catch all team without any sort of limitations such as counter teaming or any self imposed limitations.

My two cents on the issue is a continue is allowed. I don't know about the challengers but I personally feel that since I've battled ya'll so many times, I know how you play, you know how I play and wins are mostly decided by ballsy plays and great predictions. While I think that would be fine in say a tournament, in the E4 challenge, such punishment for not being ballsy enough usually requires a team rework. Such a rework then usually requires a rather significant amount of time to EV and schedule battles (definitely scheduling being a factor for me).

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Lol well to be fair from what I can gather just based off of where people win and lose, its a team archetype problem. Like I gather that every member uses something like balance/hyper offense/bulk with stall being an exception. Then the metagame being crowded as Mr. Y pointed just multiplies that initial difficulty due to it already being extremely difficult to make a catch all team without any sort of limitations such as counter teaming or any self imposed limitations.

My two cents on the issue is a continue is allowed. I don't know about the challengers but I personally feel that since I've battled ya'll so many times, I know how you play, you know how I play and wins are mostly decided by ballsy plays and great predictions. While I think that would be fine in say a tournament, in the E4 challenge, such punishment for not being ballsy enough usually requires a team rework. Such a rework then usually requires a rather significant amount of time to EV and schedule battles (definitely scheduling being a factor for me).

I'm in complete agreement here. I feel the rules as they are work just fine (Gyms have 4 of their type, elites have 3) as mentioned previously. There's enough balance to give a fighting chance, but it also makes it so things aren't impossible to always lose against. If we're being honest, I feel the continue option is unnecessary. The elite 4 is SUPPOSE to be tough! It isn't impossible. They still have a disadvantage with the 3 mons type restriction while any and all challengers can use whatever they want (that isn't above OU tier of course) against them. The way I see it, the complaint is the elites play so well everyone wishes for a handicap against them. I get it's 4 battles in a row, but that is also not impossible. In fact, in past tournaments I've seen a lot of you guys score multiple victories in a row with other restrictions (according to each theme, etc..). In this case, I feel it's like what they're doing with little league sports: everyone wins no matter what. I get our league is about fun, but the league is also about having a challenge. It's about improving and learning. What's the point in that if everyones hand is being held while facing the "big boys", y'know? That takes the fun and challenge out of it. The champion position is there for someone who can prove they deserve it (which there are so many candidates for that spot here, but that will come with time) so as Helio mentioned, I feel it's unnecessary to change anything. I know things are set now, but I wanted to at least give my opinion on the matter. Going back to the gyms/elites team ratio, I think they're fine as they are.

On a different note, the gym won't be opening for a few days since I'd like to rebuild my current gym team to better tackle challengers, if that's okay?

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
So as it turns out I am a complete idiot and have started making stuff up xD Helio is right never have leaders had to use all 6, I actually went through all the league pages to check, so...oops xD I don't know where my mind has been going lately, down the drain I guess.

On a different note, seems theres a bit of back and forth on the continue idea. I'm not sure if we should include it or leave things the way they are as one way or another someone is gonna be unhappy. So, until I come to a decision on this matter, please continue the e4 challenges as you always have, with no continue option.

Wego

WeCounting Stars
So as it turns out I am a complete idiot and have started making stuff up xD Helio is right never have leaders had to use all 6, I actually went through all the league pages to check, so...oops xD I don't know where my mind has been going lately, down the drain I guess.

I happen to be a leader that use a team of six of my type be after losing a few battle I remade my team now I'm using five and one wildcard. Also active post

LynxForte

The Phoenix
I'm in complete agreement here. I feel the rules as they are work just fine (Gyms have 4 of their type, elites have 3) as mentioned previously. There's enough balance to give a fighting chance, but it also makes it so things aren't impossible to always lose against. If we're being honest, I feel the continue option is unnecessary. The elite 4 is SUPPOSE to be tough! It isn't impossible. They still have a disadvantage with the 3 mons type restriction while any and all challengers can use whatever they want (that isn't above OU tier of course) against them. The way I see it, the complaint is the elites play so well everyone wishes for a handicap against them. I get it's 4 battles in a row, but that is also not impossible. In fact, in past tournaments I've seen a lot of you guys score multiple victories in a row with other restrictions (according to each theme, etc..). In this case, I feel it's like what they're doing with little league sports: everyone wins no matter what. I get our league is about fun, but the league is also about having a challenge. It's about improving and learning. What's the point in that if everyones hand is being held while facing the "big boys", y'know? That takes the fun and challenge out of it. The champion position is there for someone who can prove they deserve it (which there are so many candidates for that spot here, but that will come with time) so as Helio mentioned, I feel it's unnecessary to change anything. I know things are set now, but I wanted to at least give my opinion on the matter. Going back to the gyms/elites team ratio, I think they're fine as they are.

On a different note, the gym won't be opening for a few days since I'd like to rebuild my current gym team to better tackle challengers, if that's okay?

I've never participated in any of the tournaments, but the biggest difference is that with the E4 you know what type your opponent is going to bring, so you're building a team to combat that, but at the same time you're trying not to counter their types. Going into a tournament you're making a team that works for your style where as with the E4 you're trying to stick to your style, but using pokemon that possible don't fit what you like to do. I have never liked the idea of switching pokemon, but I proposed an option because it kept coming up. I'm perfectly fine leaving the E4 as it is, but that's probably only because I've battled each member like 10 times and have seen their teams and styles enough to know how to combat them. Me losing after beating 3 of them doesn't discourage me in the least bit, it just means I have more to do/learn, but we did just have someone leave because they couldn't beat the E4 in 2 tries. So while it isn't discouraging to me and a few others, it very well could be to many others. That's possibly why the "continue" option was brought up. We're trying to grow the league and if losing to E4 makes people leave, then looking into a slight change isn't a bad thing.

And going from 4 of a type to 3 of a type gets a no from me. Just because a pokemon is not in the OU tier does not mean it cannot perform well. Just because you're restricted to a certain type does not mean you cannot build a viable team. You have to pick mons that work for your playstyle. You never know what a pokemon can truly do until you actually apply it to your playstyle.

Skullbash

Pirate King
I actually like the E4 how it is now. Its a great challenge while definitely possible to beat.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
One simple continue should be allowed after u defeat the 2nd E4 member. Switching a mon is just a pain to keep track off.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
So I have come to a decision. Everyone seemed to be on one side or the other in the debate for the e4, but I think ultimately we will leave the e4 challenge as it is with a very minor tweak if the e4 is ok with it. You can't change the pokemon on your team, but I WILL allow the change of evs, items, and movesets. What do the 4 of you think?

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
So I have come to a decision. Everyone seemed to be on one side or the other in the debate for the e4, but I think ultimately we will leave the e4 challenge as it is with a very minor tweak if the e4 is ok with it. You can't change the pokemon on your team, but I WILL allow the change of evs, items, and movesets. What do the 4 of you think?

Well... Changing items/moves and evs is pretty much the same thing as changing a Pokemon. If someone brings Sccizor,Gardevoir and Gyarados, each one of those pokemon can be changed in the sense that for the first two battles, Gardevoir could be a Scarf user, then for the last two they switch the Item to Gardevoirite. Same with the other two I mentioned, but with different items (Life Orb, Lum berry, etc.) It's farely common to see a Mega Mixup, where people will run 2 or even 3 Pokemon that CAN Mega evolve.

The continue is okay to me only because nothing gets changed. You still have to use the same team (as well as the E4 member being re-challenged), and sometimes, a win or loss is determined entirely by luck. So I'm okay with that.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
The change of items was already in place, so not sure why that would be an issue. And since the continue option isn't going into effect, DT, ignore the team that I sent you

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
Well... Changing items/moves and evs is pretty much the same thing as changing a Pokemon. If someone brings Sccizor,Gardevoir and Gyarados, each one of those pokemon can be changed in the sense that for the first two battles, Gardevoir could be a Scarf user, then for the last two they switch the Item to Gardevoirite. Same with the other two I mentioned, but with different items (Life Orb, Lum berry, etc.) It's farely common to see a Mega Mixup, where people will run 2 or even 3 Pokemon that CAN Mega evolve.

The continue is okay to me only because nothing gets changed. You still have to use the same team (as well as the E4 member being re-challenged), and sometimes, a win or loss is determined entirely by luck. So I'm okay with that.

Fair point. Ok so I don't get anything confused as my mind has not been working this week, I need all e4 members to say whether or not they are ok with the continue.

Morokei

Pokegym Steel E4
I'm fine with a continue. I'm under the impression the E4 shold definitely be a challenge but not impossible.

edit: I'm fine with people changing items/EVs. Like simply swapping out items but keeping the same EV spread doesn't necessarily mean said poke would function properly in the same role. Biggest culprit I can think of is Scizor. Slap a choice band on it and it usually utilizes some like enough speed to hit heatran without predicting and dump rest into hp/atk. Now if you wanted to make that a mega-scizor that spread works but is rather eh considering you are wasting speed EVs due to speed changes.

Last edited:

ZombieDeviant

Berry Master
I'm accepting challenges for an hour. ORAS only

Wow! I missed a lot on my day of driving. After reading everything that has been said it seems that most people didn't really want a change. But a small addendum may get more people involved. That said, I'm ok with the continue option.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
So that's 4 outta 4. So, with their consent, I WILL have the continue option added to the rules, but only this. So, after defeating 2 of the e4, a person will gain a continue. Should you lose to member 3 or 4, you have one redo, and can battle them again with the same team.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Glad this has all been sorted out :)
Trying to think up a new team, so I won't be taking challenges (again) for a little while. Sorry for the inconvenience. I won't setup any times until I'm done either, but I will try to not be too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.