1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemate- What happened to it?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Spinoff Discussion' started by evandeck, Feb 12, 2010.

1. evandeck

evandeck Well-Known Member

I was browsing through the new archives and I saw this.

That was in April 2006.

I was wondering why it didn't come outside of Japan. Is the service still running in Japan?

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I'd wager that Square-Enix realized that it just wasn't the right product for the American market, for any number of reasons. In the context of three years ago, there are so many makes and models of cell phone available in America, many of them running on different mini-operating systems and some of them with very limited media capabilities. Combine that with the fact that a lot fewer kids within the franchise's target demographic - boys ages 6-11 - have cell phones in American than they do in Japan and one figures that they simply crunched the numbers, looked at the playing field and realized it just wouldn't have been worth it.

Not a big deal, though; the service seemed gimmicky at best and likely would not have been offered for free, and heck, with today's cell phones, you can just take audio of a Pokémon's cries and assign that as your ringtone or message tone if you really want.