• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon (2019) - Favorite/Least Favorite Moments etc. Thread

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
It’s time to finally assess this series properly since it has officially ended. So give your thoughts on your favorite moments, least favorite, what you would have change, favorite characters(human/Pokemon) & least favorite character. I’ll be giving my in-depth thoughts soon but I’ll leave it off to you guys but remember:

Be respectful, opinions are at the end of the day just opinions, so be mindful of that if someone has a certain take that differs from yours but keep it civil, have a nice discussion, feel free to debate on someone’s take on the series just keep it respectful.

This isn’t a thread to post your smartass remarks as well because I know there are a few loose screws out there that won’t listen so with that all being said, let’s discuss.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Oh wow look a thread discussing people's possible issues with Journeys. That's new, gee golly I sure hope people don't decide to be contrarians with their opinions and focus on Favorite/Least Favorite Moments etc aspect. Whatever could people discuss here. Could it making the 1000th complaint about the PWC? No that would be silly, it's not like that's ever been done before. Goh "hogging" spotlight? Nope. Can't wait for the totally inspired discussion that will be posted here and nowhere else! Time will tell.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
Oh wow look a thread discussing people's possible issues with Journeys. That's new, gee golly I sure hope people don't decide to be contrarians with their opinions and focus on Favorite/Least Favorite Moments etc aspect. Whatever could people discuss here. Could it making the 1000th complaint about the PWC? No that would be silly, it's not like that's ever been done before. Goh "hogging" spotlight? Nope. Can't wait for the totally inspired discussion that will be posted here and nowhere else! Time will tell.
Hey if they didn’t want people to complain, they would t have made JN such a shitshow

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.

Thanks for your pointless contribution & confirming that you don’t know how to read.

Ash -

I believe I have already stated my thoughts on how Ash was handled team-wise, which was lackluster. I was expecting some team rotation at some point in the PWC. The team members were fine but they could have rotated a few ‘mon’s in during the Ultra Class to give a sense of urgency, maybe have Ash struggle in his promotion battle to realize he needed to rely on not just his current team but his reserves. His rivalry with Bea was too shortlived & Marnie was basically a CoTD rival, no Bede, & I could have settled for the overdone game rival(Hop) but he was just a last minute introduction. Looking at Journey’s alone, his buildup towards Cynthia may look sudden but this was in the making since DP, only gripe was Lucario since it was a Egg early series, so I don’t think it had the power to take down Cynthia’s Garchomp, but they had to weaken it severely, thanks to Sirfetch’d. Didn’t like Steven’s battle though. Leon’s battle with Ash was obviously the main highlight but they did Charizard dirty by not having it get any wins during the finale. Don’t know why MPM was even created, EP11 was the only good thing about it since he finally reunited with Pidgeot, albeit not intentionally, but I may be wrong since he did say he was heading to Viridian Forest specifically.

Goh - I would have liked him if they did his goal right. Kept the Mew part in but have PM start waaaaaay earlier. Fleshed out Goh & Gary’s rivalry a bit more instead of having 60 episodes of Goh shoehorned in 95% of every episode(including PWC Episodes). They really missed the mark, so its not really his fault. Grookey being introduced hella late is weird, its almost as if they’d forgotten about it.

Chloe - I really didn’t like the whole “What am I going to evolve my Eevee into” arc. We’ve had May with an Eevee, who didn’t have a subplot into figuring out what to do with it. Serena’s Eevee didn’t go through that either. Lana did, so why repeat it again back to back? Made no sense honestly.

So my least favorite part of this series has got to be the PWC. They could have handled it so much better, give some characters much needed reappearances. They just missed the mark, gave Ash a quick regression arc & all of a sudden he is unstoppable again. What a throwback it would have been to have LT Surge as the first opponent instead of his assistant. Or at least have it setup to have Surge be an opponent at some point. Alot could have been done to make this better but it is what it is.

I guess my most favorite part of this series would have to be hilariously enough, just the Ash VS Cynthia & VS Leon parts, that’s it. Wasn’t a fan of the other battles aside from Iris VS Cynthia, even though I still think Lance was a more fitting opponent so that she could have actually defeated him instead of getting absolutely trashed this series.

What I would have changed is obviously the format the PWC classes:

Normal Class: 1 VS 1 or 2 VS 2.

Great Class: 3 VS 3 or Double Battles

Ultra Class: A mix of 3 VS 3 & 4 VS 4. 5 VS 5 for the promotion match.

Interlude: Have Ash do a couple of quick battles of defending his Top 8 position until the Master 8 begins.

Master’s 8: Johto League’s qualifying matches format with the 4 highest points moving on to the Top 4. Leon being #1 meaning that he has to wait for the winner of M8 Tournament to be decided to challenge them. Leon battles the 8th place trainer. Ash & another competitor having equal points & battle it out for a spot in the Final 4. Full Battles for the remaining 2 rounds. A 3rd full battle with Ash battling Leon. My ideal PWC.

They should have showed Galar more, especially the gym leaders but they could only do so much I guess.

Overall I’d give the series a 6/10.

TheNewGuy

Positives:
-Ash vs Leon and Ash vs Cynthia, two of the series' top 3 or 4 battles.
-Ash vs Volkner
-Lance vs Diantha
-Ash being correctly treated as a ****ing prodigiously good trainer and catching a team of naturally strong species
-Everything Sirfetch'd did
-The Paul return ep was handled perfectly
-The unpredictability of being in all the regions and Ash having all the gimmicks.
-Alola return eps, particularly "Champion! Champion!"
-I didn't mind Goh, but most importantly I liked the dynamic of only 2 protagonists instead of 3 or 4.
-I enjoyed pretty much every episode of MPM

Negatives:
-Team rocket still static. No real risks taken with them since BW.
-The M8 in a vacuum was excellent. However, watching it week to week was at times slow water torture because of the breaks, recaps, and random f***ing Chloe episodes
-Speaking of which, Chloe in general. Who gives a f***.
-Project Mew was a relative afterthought; it had potential if it had been introduced earlier and there were more trial missions to give Goh's storylines more structure.
-I loved the M8, but it still would have been better had reserves been mixed in. However, the all-time best moment in the entire series (like #1 with a bullet and will never be topped) was only that impactful because of the lack of reserves, so that criticism is mitigated somewhat now. No reserves used to be a gaping bullet wound in Journeys' credibility but is now more like a deep cut.
-The dub will inevitably make me want to launch things into the sun

RafaSceptile

Favourites:
-Ash vs Leon, that's very obvious
-The reunion of the Aether Foundation Family
-Ash being called a Champion during the Battle Royal and the Masters 8 Tournament

Least Favourites:
-How shafted Project Mew finale was, and dropping whatever they had planned with Regigigas
-The Dub Pikachu/Marshtomp filler episode
-The Blue themed filler episode

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Favorites
- Serena's and Iris' return and development
- Continuity other than OS
- the concept of it's format
- Ash finally getting a mega

Dislikes
- Ash's relationships with his former companions and Gary felt underminded
- JN team is the most undeserving team
- Pikachu and Leon felt way too OP in the M8 arc
- poor treatment of XY's most iconic aspects
- Lots of missed opportunities in general
- MPM
- Chloe
- Goh got way too much focus than he deserves
- I'm just never a fan of Ash's tomiyasu artsyle and personality
- JN30
- Dawn's stagnation

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Favorites: Ash battling with Mimey, Go catching Raichu and Suicune, Ash being allowed to catch older Pokemon, the Alolan episodes in general, Aether family conclusion, Ash vs. Volkner, Ash's battles against Cynthia and Leon, the vision of all of Ash's Pokemon rooting for Pikachu, Ash's actual departure was handled well enough for me.

Least Favorite: Zero reserves in the PWC, lack of E4 battles in the Hyper Class, MPM not really being a true epilogue series and just filler, TR remaining stalkers, lack on screen time for Ash's Journey team, Alain's bizarre OOC attitude towards Ash.