• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Ability Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Welcome to the Pokemon Ability Speculation Thread. Here, you get to speculate what may be the ability of the main characters' Pokemon. This would exclude Pokemon with only one ability. We have yet to see Hidden Ability mechanics implemented, so say Jessie' Wobbuffet could just as much have Telepathy as Blaze. As for the main characters, I'd say they include Ash, all his companions, the Team Rocket trio, and his main rivals count. Now for Pokemon with confirmed abilities

Ash: Pikachu(Static), Sceptile(Overgrow), Infernape(Blaze), Buizel(Swift Swim), Scraggy(Moxie, confirmed in an event), Leavanny(Swarm), Unfeazant(Super Luck, confirmed in an event), Boldore(Sturdy)
Team Rocket trio: Yanmega(Speed Boost), Weezing(Levitate), Chimecho(Levitate), Carnivine(Levitate), Yamask(Mummy). All James' Pokemon must have said ability by default
Brock: Sudowoodo(Rock Head), Croagunk(Anticipation)
May: Blaziken(Blaze)
Paul: Electivire(Motor Drive), Ursaring(Guts), Honchkrow(Super Luck)
Zoey: Mismagius(Levitate by default)
Iris: Axew(Mold Breaker confirmed by event), Emolga(Static), Dragonite(Multiscale confirmed by event)
Cilan: Pansage(Gluttony), Crustle(Sturdy)
Trip: Tranquill(Super Luck), Frillish(Cursed Body), Serperior(Overgrow through event battle), Conkledurr(Guts through event battle)
Stephan: Sawk(Sturdy), Zebstrika(Lightningrod), Liepard(Unburden). All confirmed through event battle
Cameron: Lucario(Inner Focus, confirmed by event)
Clemont: Chespin(Overgrow)

I think we should make it easier on us and start speculating in regions

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I'm confused as to what there is to speculate.. Unless stated otherwise, they're simply stick with the standard abilities..

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm confused as to what there is to speculate.. Unless stated otherwise, they're simply stick with the standard abilities..

A number of the team's Pokemon can have two abilities, so we can speculate what they may be. We never know what they may pull

phanpycross

God-king
Flame body not activating VS. Korrina does kind of give me hope Ash's fletchinder has gale wings, so that's nice.

Protean could be really badass in the anime, but sadly, I think the writers like the short power-boost of torrent better.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Kanto Pokemon Ability Speculation

Okay, I'm not going to be back in a while, since I need this thread to flow naturally. Here are what I think are the abilities of the Pokemon introduced in Kanto

Ash's Pokemon​
Buttefree-I'd just use Compound Eyes
Pidgeot-Disappearing long before abilities, I can only guess. I think it's Keen Eye
Bulbasaur-We haven't seen any instance of sunlight to demonstrate its speed, nor any moment after abilities were introduced where it was strong when weak. It could fit either ability
Charizard-In the games, all starter Pokemon given out retain their normal ability. Blaze is the most likely ability of Charizard
Squirtle-We have yet to witness its behavior in the rain after abilities were introduced. I think it's probably just got the ordinary Torrent
Primeape-We haven't seen it in any state where it was forced into a sleep, so we can't say Vital Spirit isn't an ability. Knowing its character, I like the idea it had Anger Point
Tauros-All the abilities, as Ash has multiples of this Pokemon
Kingler-
Muk-Given the smell Muk generated from just inside a Pokeball, and it doesn't seem to have Poison Body since Oak can be hugged just fine I think Muk's most likely ability is Stench
Kingler-Either one would be fine with me

Misty​
Staryu-I think that, like in the game, it has Natural Cure
Starmie-It hasn't shown to generate some sort of light whenever they are in dark places, so Natural Cure
Goldeen-As its much more mobile in water, I'm going to say Goldeen has Swift Swim
Horsea-It was primarily used to make trails, so Sniper seems best fit to this trait
Psyduck-It can't swim, so not Swift Swim. It isn't useful in the weather. Thus I can confidently say Psyduck had Damp

Brock​
Steelix and Geodude-If we're thinking about the games, I think its ability is Rock Head
Crobat-I prefer the idea of it having no DW ability, but given its role as spying on the enemy it could be considered to have Infiltrator
Vulpix-It doesn't summon the sun, so Flame Body

Team Rocket​
Meowth-Technician. If he had Pickup, he would've used it for Team Rocket's funding
Victreebel-Given its habit of trying to eat James, Gluttony

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Flame body not activating VS. Korrina does kind of give me hope Ash's fletchinder has gale wings, so that's nice.

Protean could be really badass in the anime, but sadly, I think the writers like the short power-boost of torrent better.

Fletchling did get a quick Peck in whenever it used the move, and it even performed a little gale before lunging in a few times. WHO KNOWS! :p

As for the current group:

Ash:
- Pikachu: Static
- Froakie: Torrent
- Fletchinder: Flame Body/Gale Wings
- Hawlucha: Limber

Serena:
- Fennekin: Blaze
- Pancham: Iron Fist

Clemont:
- Bunnelby: Huge Power, it hasn't picked anything up and Chespin is the glutton of the group.
- Chespin: Overgrow
- Dedenne: It has the same two abilities as Bunnelby, but I'm going with Cheek Pouch on this one, based on its debut.
- Luxio: Rivalry

That's it isn't it?

Speculative?
- Ash's Phantump: Natural Cure
- Ash's Skiddo: Sap Sipper
- Ash's Goomy: Sap Sipper
- Ash's Bergmite: Own Tempo

That's it for me.

KKS-Lapras

I find this thread a bit odd, it's really hard to speculate on many of Ash's older reserve Pokemon in particular as to what their abilities may or may not be.

inkaybee

Everyone keeps speculating Ash capturing a Pokemon that has the Zap Zipper ability, I'm not so sure he'll do that.

KKS-Lapras

Everyone keeps speculating Ash capturing a Pokemon that has the Zap Zipper ability, I'm not so sure he'll do that.

I'm not sure about it either. So long as it doesn't mean Skiddo or Gogoat getting captured, I'm fine with that ability either way.

phanpycross

God-king
I really hope that the potential goomy does have the sap sipper ability, the ability looked great in BW, and could be Ash's ace against Ramos.

Im alos pleased that Fletchinder didnt burn lucario during the Korrina gym battle, since it leaves gale wings up in the air.

KKS-Lapras

I really hope that the potential goomy does have the sap sipper ability, the ability looked great in BW, and could be Ash's ace against Ramos.

Im alos pleased that Fletchinder didnt burn lucario during the Korrina gym battle, since it leaves gale wings up in the air.

That's the reason Goomy's potential capture has me so happy, it reduces the odds of Skiddo being caught.

inkaybee

Olympia's Psychic type Pokemon, in combination with the space styled gym, imagine some of the intersting Ability dynamics at play in that setting.

KKS-Lapras

Olympia's Psychic type Pokemon, in combination with the space styled gym, imagine some of the intersting Ability dynamics at play in that setting.

That and Ramos' slide are the two most intersting gym features from the games, to me at least.

KKS-Lapras

If Goomy does indeed have Sip Sapper, I'm curious how that will be shown to work in the Anime, will Grass type moves be just absorbed.

KKS-Lapras

yeah, might be a weird ability to be seen in the show.

I guess it could be shown like Hydration, but without the positive after effect...

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I don't think Hidden Abilities have been showcased in the anime yet, but I'd like 3 of Ash's current or confirmed team to have their Hidden Abilities:

Gekogahshier: Protean

Hinoyakoma: Gale Wings

Numera: Gooey

As for Luchabull, I personally think that Limber is a better ability than Mold Breaker or Unburden.

Captain America X

I don't think Hidden Abilities have been showcased in the anime yet, but I'd like 3 of Ash's current or confirmed team to have their Hidden Abilities:

Gekogahshier: Protean

Hinoyakoma: Gale Wings

Numera: Gooey

As for Luchabull, I personally think that Limber is a better ability than Mold Breaker or Unburden.
Anime wise,Proteon seems pretty useless since it requires a moveset of completely different types(and it's most likely going to keep Double team to the end so that makes it even worse) and since STABS don't exist in the anime so it won't make much of a difference.Torrent would be way more powerful in the anime than Protean.

Status
Not open for further replies.