• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Academy: Dedication Through Light and Darkness

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Sorry guys and girls. No chapter today. When I woke up today I tried to write this next chapter, but I wasn't feeling it. The description was horrible, it didn't flow that well, and many other factors came into play. Maybe I'll have a little inspiration tomorrow. Maybe not, I mean I do start school. Hooray for me. I can make the promise that it will be here by next Sunday. That I am sure of.

Until next time, Shadow Lucario is signing off.

ilocar

I know what that's like. It's even worse when you've got editors and agents breathing down your neck. Well I'm not gonna be like them, take your time and make it good. Can't wait for the next chapter. Peace out :)

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Mm... each to his own, i suppose. Whether Jyharri and Sydnie end up together isn't really what bothers me. Not every couple ends up together, and despite how they react to each other, especially whilst the other is with another girl/guy, gets a little tedious to read.Jyharri dates/kisses a girl, Sydnie gets mad. Sydnie seen with a guy, Jyharri sees red. Either you have way too much fun tormenting your characters or you think winding up for a romance that people see coming a mile away sounds like a nice way to introduce plot twists. Again, each to his own.

On the titles: they remind me of Japanese anime like Bleach and Pokemon's titles. It gets a little easier to predict what's coming and that slightly lowers the excitement appeal of your fic to me, though not so much. Try throwing things around a bit or giving titles that will leave the reader guessing just what's going to happen.

I pulled some grammar errors, but as this review is long over due, I'll spare you. This time. :)

So Drake is related to members of the Black Organization. I wonder if he knows about Damien's job... you see, stuff like this are plot twists. They don't all have to harbour or revolve around romance, unless that's the theme/genre your aiming for. I'll admit it's a major part of a teen's growing years, but Jyharri's sixteen, right? At least try to bring out other aspects of a teenager's life in school we haven't seen yet. and let the teachers treat them like young adults instead of young kids. it's a little condescending how the staff handles their would-be charges.

well, that's all that comes to mind for now. Blimey, I wrote a lot. Keep the good work going!

L@er!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Hey there readers! I am sooo sorry that I am late with this chapter. I will try to make sure it never happens again. Now, in this chapter most of the plot is revealed. A character is hinted to be something that he doesn't seem like and two stories are told. That is all I'm saying about this chapter. On another note, I am still taking votes for your favorite character. Sydnie is in the lead by two votes. Along with that another theme song has been chosen. You can listen to it here. Tell me what you think. Enough of this jibber jabber! Enjoi!

Dedication Through Light and Darkness

Chapter 14: Dedication Through Light and Darkness!

“Remember students, the school wide tournament is tomorrow. Do not forget to sign up!”

Announcements of the tournament’s sudden move were what came out of the intercom all day. Many students rushed to the registration desk outside of the main building. A boat docked on the main island started to let out the Fire Red students. Among them were Jyharri, Brad, and Sydnie. They all moved by themselves, not even trying to find each other. Jyharri’s hands had been in his pockets the entire time as he walked with his head down. He glanced over towards Sydnie and saw a sliver of yellow in the sea of red.

Of course she’s with Ryan, he thought to himself. They are almost always together. It’s like I don’t even exist to her anymore.
Jyharri was right about to yell out to Ryan when he felt a hand on his shoulder. As he pivoted his body the first color he saw was blonde. The blonde color resided in a girl’s hair, falling down to about her shoulders.

“Stacy!” Jyharri said surprised.

“Hey,” Stacy said as she flashed a smile. “I haven’t seen you in a while. Where are you headed?”

“Detention,” grumbled Jyharri.

“Oh, that sucks,” said Stacy. “Well I need to sign up for the tournament so I guess I’ll see you later.”

Jyharri waved to Stacy as she trotted away. Turning back towards the school buildings a sudden movement caught his eye. He quickly turned on his heel catching sight of Ryan embracing Sydnie. As he approached them they broke apart, Ryan walking in the opposite direction. As Jyharri made a beeline for Sydnie she turned towards his direction. The instant he was in her field of vision Sydnie rolled her eyes. Jyharri opened his mouth about to say something when Sydnie held up her hand to his mouth. He was silenced immediately, his mouth closing once again. Sydnie chuckled and walked off.

“I’ll never understand women,” Jyharri quietly said to himself as he watched Sydnie walk off.
----------------------------------------
“While in detention there will be no talking, no getting out of your seat, no shifting around in your seat, no sleeping and no texting. The only thing you are allowed to do is breath and blink. You’re here until 5:30; it is 2:09 now and I expect you to be quiet the whole time.”

Jyharri looked around the room, the bar on the side of the desk restricting this a little bit. The grey color of the desk was dull and boring while the chairs were dark blue in color. Jyharri’s desk sat in the middle of the room while Mio sat in the back right corner. As Jyharri prepared to put his head down a slamming noise startled him. As he looked up he saw the stern look of the teacher’s face. His eyebrows arched over his blue eyes. Jyharri stared up at him, his mouth agape. His eyes were not just blue; they were a light, glowing blue. The young Fire Red shook his head and faced forward. The teacher swiftly walked back to his desk, his blue robe trailing behind him. As the teacher sat down he pulled a magazine from his black bag, a Blastoise posing on the front.

Jyharri turned to face Mio, motioning for people to get his attention. A bored look conquered Mio’s face, his chin resting on his hand. A small paper flew through the air, hitting Mio on the back. The big teenager still looked ahead. The Ocean Blue girl next to him tapped him on the shoulder and pointed towards Jyharri. Mio nodded towards Jyharri, saying, “What’s up.” Jyharri started to pantomime what he wanted to say. First he pointed at the teacher, followed up with pointing at his eyes, ending with a questioning look. Mio shook his head.

I’ve never seen any eyes that color, Jyharri thought. He must have had some chemical inserted into his eye.

Jyharri turned back to his original position, coming eye to eye with the blue eyed teacher. His stare sent shivers up Jyharri’s spine. Jyharri flinched as the teacher went back to his magazine.

“Remember no talking and no pantomiming,” the teacher announced. “If I catch you twice I will assign you detention for a month.”
----------------------------------------
Light illuminated the room from a single television. That was the only source of light in the Fire Red lobby. A single person sat in the red lounge chairs. That person was the first year Sydnie. She watched the television as it broadcasted different school related things. Just as she was about to fall asleep the sliding doors slowly creaked open. Being 11:56 at night the doors were locked. Someone had picked the lock and entered. Sydnie sat still as a rock, so much as not blinking. She waited as she heard footsteps approaching the chair. The television click off as a shadow loomed over her, encompassing her in darkness.

“Sydnie Lake,” said a male voice.

Sydnie slowly turned around, a tall, hooded figure standing behind her. A shorter hooded figure stood next to him, their arms crossed. Sydnie tried to look up at the face of the taller one, but all she could see was red in his eyes.

“Can we talk?” he asked her.

Sydnie stayed silent as she sat up straight. She fixed her skirt as she turned towards them. Both of them sat in the two other chairs next to Sydnie.

“My name is Damien,” he said as he pulled down his hood. “My partner here is Kelly. We wish to talk to you about our organization.”

“Organization?” Sydnie finally spoke.

“Yes,” he answered. “We are called the Black Organization.”

“That’s it?” Sydnie asked. “Nothing fancy? It’s just the Black Organization?”

“Yeah, we had a really long name so we shortened it,” Damien told her, “but that’s not we came to talk about. There are some of our officers planted here in this school watching the new students. After looking over Commander Cindy’s reports you are the best option for a new recruit.”

Sydnie’s mouth fell open. “M-me? Are you sure?”

Damien nodded while Kelly looked out the window, observing the many Starly and Pidgey flying about in the nighttime. “There’s no doubt about it. You are the best choice out of all the first years. While this is true, there is a problem.”

“What is it?” Sydnie asked getting somewhat interested.

“One of your friends has all the traits of a Team Lustrous Commander,” Damien said as he interlocked his fingers, looking at the ground.

“Well,” Sydnie said, “who is it?”

“The one, who defeated you almost a month ago,” Damien replied. “Jyharri Ahmed.”

“What does that mean?” asked Sydnie.

“He is the most likely to join the ranks of our enemy, Team Lustrous,” Damien answered. “He is cocky, arrogant, and strong, everything Team Lustrous admires.”

The room felt as if it were spinning in Sydnie’s head. She was fit to become part of the Black Organization while her good friend Jyharri was more like their enemies.

“I know that it isn’t pleasant to hear,” Damien told her, “but we need you to join us to help reach our goal.”

“What exactly is your goal?” Sydnie asked, the room still somewhat spinning.

“Many years ago, before me, you, or even or great grandfathers two groups of people clashed with one another,” Damien began. “One called themselves the Bringers of the Light while the opposing group called themselves Those Who Hide in Darkness. While the latter name fits the group, the former’s does not. The Bringers of the Light is now known as Team Lustrous, while Those Who Hide in Darkness is now simply known as the Black Organization.

“The Bringers of the Light did the exact opposite of their name. They were mercenaries bent on eliminating anyone who didn’t agree with their views. After they wiped out eighty percent of an island’s population a group rose up to oppress them. This group was Those Who Hide in Darkness. They did exactly as their name said; they hid in the darkness, waiting for the right opportunity to strike. Where ever the Bringers of the Light went TWHD followed.

“179 years ago a war was started between the groups. The Bringers of the Light moved to a small island nation to the southwest of this island. TWHD followed closely behind, hiding in the shadows. As the BotL started their “work” TWHD intervened. The BotL demanded that they get out of their way and let them purge the world of any vermin. TWHD declined and the BotL launched their attack. The BotL controlled Psychic and Normal type Pokémon while TWHD controlled Ghost and Dark types.

“The two groups lost countless men, women, and Pokémon. When the numbers of both groups thinned out to the hundreds they fled. After that the two groups have hated the others guts and some go as far as to avenging their predecessors. The war continues to this day. Team Lustrous is now hunting down the last members of the Black Organization, planning to wipe them out. We hide and move in the shadows, trying to survive. If you join I cannot guarantee your safety. If you do not feel up to the task then we will find another.”

Sydnie’s head began to spin, even more so than before. As she took in all the information Jyharri popped into her head. Damien had said he would more than likely join Team Lustrous. They would be pitted against each other. They might have to kill each other. Sydnie tried to shake the thought out of her head, but it came back again and again. Tears started to well up in her eyes. An image of Jyharri’s smirking face appeared in her head. She remembered back to when she first saw him. He had been in battle with Sean, flying on his Charizard. As the Charizard flew by the trainer on his back caught her eye. The wind blew her black jacket around, her hat almost flying off. As she came back to reality she remembered the story of what Team Lustrous had done. Anger overcame her sadness, tears of rage now flowing out of her eyes.

“I won’t let them have Jyharri,” Sydnie said as she looked up at Damien, tears streaming down her face. “They are not taking my friend! I’m going to take you up on your offer.”

“Great!” Damien exclaimed. “Our leader is going to be here tomorrow. Enter the tournament and make sure you win. That way our leader will see that you deserve to join us. If you have to face Jyharri make sure that no emotion holds you back. Destroy him if you must. The leader of Team Lustrous might have reached him by then.”

“Someone’s coming,” Kelly unexpectedly said.

Damien and Sydnie jumped up, peering out the window. A tall figure walked along with a shorter, but still tall, figure beside him. Sydnie looked at the shorter figure, thinking she recognized him. After observing him for a couple seconds she realized who she was looking at.

“That’s Jyharri!” Sydnie whispered to the two Black Organization members.

“Let’s get out of here Kelly,” said Damien as he grabbed her wrist, heading towards the back door. “You also need to get out of here. Who knows what they’ll do if they find you here? We’ll be in contact with you.”

“How will you get away?” Sydnie whispered.

Damien chuckled lightly, making sure it was soft. “We’re used to hiding in the shadows. You won’t even know we left.”

After Damien finished his words, he disappeared into the shadows, Kelly following. Sydnie looked back towards where Jyharri was, his outline getting closer to the door. Sydnie looked around for a spot to hide. She saw the chairs, but thought they would sit in them. Instead she ran for the counter, sliding on the glass countertop and crouching behind it, completely unseen from the front and sides. The sound of doors opening sounded throughout the silent lobby. Two figures stepped in, their footsteps almost as silent as the lobby. One of them motioned for the chairs, the two of them sitting down.

“So,” said the unknown male, his voice almost chilling, “I’ve looked over your records my informants have sent and I must say I’m impressed.”

“Thanks,” Jyharri said.

As Sydnie heard his voice tears appeared in her eyes again. The thought of having to destroy him destroyed her. Sydnie’s hand covered her mouth, desperately trying not to make a sound.

“You have the qualities to become a high ranking member of my team,” the mysterious man said.

“Your team?” Jyharri questioned. “What kind of team?”

“I am currently head of a certain team,” the man explained. “I am trying to rid the world of a certain group of people. They call themselves the Black Organization. They cover themselves in black cloaks and hide in the shadows.”

Black cloaks?! Jyharri thought as he remembered the woman he followed.

“Around 200 years ago my ancestors founded a group called Bringers of the Light,” said the man. “They worked to help cleanse people of their sins and bring them to the light. A couple years after they started their work another group surfaced. This group was called Those Who Hide in Darkness. This group stopped my ancestor’s work, bringing people into the darkness. The Bringers of the Light continued their work, hoping that they can cleanse the world of its sins and bring everyone into the light. They would have succeeded, but Those Who Hide in Darkness kept intervening. They want the world to cease existence; they want to destroy it!”

“We can’t let that happen,” Jyharri exclaimed, jumping out of the chair.

Sydnie stayed silent behind the desk, tears streaming down her face. Her hand still covered her mouth, her hand becoming drenched with tears. The man motioned for Jyharri to sit, a ring on his right ring finger glinting in the light.

“Eleven years after my ancestors found the Bringers of the Light a war broke out between the two groups,” he started again as Jyharri sat down. “There were many casualties. The two groups decided to flee, leaving the battle unfinished. That war continues to this day. We are looking for the last of the Black Organization, hoping that we can bring them to their sense and have them join us in the light. You are already in the light; I can feel it. Will you join my side and help me fight this evil?”

Jyharri’s hand rose and touched his chin. Sydnie wanted to scream out, “Don’t do it! Don’t trust him!” but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. She would be putting herself in danger. After a minute or so, Jyharri’s arms rested on his legs. A smirk drew itself across his face.

“Where do I sign up?” Jyharri asked.

Sydnie’s look went from sad to horrific one. Did she hear him correctly? Was Jyharri joining the enemy group of the group she just joined? What would happen if she met him in battle? Would he destroy her? Many questions ran through Sydnie’s mind as more tears poured out of her eyes.

“Excellent,” said the man. “Well I think it is time I introduce myself. I am Aeolus. I will be your boss, but at the same time I can be your friend. Here, take this.”

Aeolus reached into his white robe, pulling out a vile filled with yellow liquid. It looked very watery, sloshing around in the vile as it moved. It was more of a metallic gold color than it was yellow.

“If you put this in your eyes before going to sleep you will be able to see the body heat of any individual,” Aeolus informed him. “Hide and Seek will become child’s play.”

“Cool,” admired Jyharri as he took the vile, holding it up to his eyes. “Can you do the same?”

“No,” said Aeolus. “I see the unseen. If any substance has been cleaned away then I will still be able to see it. Now I must be off. I will see you soon.”

As Aeolus walked off Jyharri pocketed the vile and started to head for his room. As soon as he left, Sydnie stood up. Her hair had fallen in front of her face making it not visible. Tears still ran down her face. She looked up at the clock, it reading 12:18. Slowly, she headed back to her room as well. She would have to prepare for the tournament tomorrow, not only physically but mentally as well. After all, she might have to destroy the person she first met on her way here.
------------------------------------------------

So sorry for the short chapter. I feel like that it was enough to get the point across. Don't forget to tell me your favorite character. Oh, and just to be mean, THERE IS NOTHING BETWEEN JYHARRI AND SYDNIE.. I think that's enough.

Until next time, Shadow Lucario is signing off.

Shadow XD001

Excellent chapter. This would be like an important filler episode. It was short, but still gave us some key points in the story. So it was okay it was short, because it was just about giving up key points in the story and it would be hard to make that ten pages long.

I'm surprised you managed 8.....

Anyway. I can't wait for the tournament and I bet the final two will be Syndie and Jyharri and I just can't wait!

Shikamio

Good chapter, excited to see how the tournament plays out.

asperger1981

good reader
Is it me? or both Jyharri and Sydnie swallowed all this "light versus darkness" crap way too soon, don't you think?

That kinda make them look like a pair of idiots, seriously.

Besides, both versions of the story sounded too...cliché. They felt totally fabricated; like somebody has written a preach or a lecture, and then read it like a scrip in a cheap play (if that was the idea, congratulations; if not, I'd rather not mention it)

P.D: Sorry by impersonating our official destructive critic (you know about who I'm talking about) but it is obvious this chapter is so not one of your best jobs mate, seriously. Do a best job next time, please.

;129;

ilocar

I totally agree with asperger1981, but something else. I've lost all faith in Jyharri's character. if Aeolus had said somethging about glory, the greater good, that kinda stuff. how does Jyharri not know that "cleansing the world of sins" is a radical term for "kill everyone who disagrees with us" you're starting to make me hate Jyharri. yeah the story is not only hollow but the two groups don't contradict eachother. As far as you've shown me there is a clear good and clear evil, and btw not only was this a set-up chapter but it was a bad one, sorry thats just the truth. grammatical errors were up, the plot was poor, stacy was stitched in for no good reason, overall not your best work, combined with breaking two deadlines I'm not impressed, I hope the tourney isn't written like this. btw I hope Jyharri and Sydnie don't end up together, neither deserves happiness because their both acting like morons. can't wait for the next chapter

Reisude

Fanfictionist!
BRAVO! And the plot thickens >:3

Okie, just a few things. There are some typos, but those can easily be fixed. My only problem with the chapter is that Jyharri and Sydnie believed them almost instantly. That's a little...bleh. There should at least be some pointless questioning and "I don't believe you" or something like that. If someone approached me wearing a dark cape or telling me that story, I would've been like, "Oh yay! Roleplay! Hang on, Imma get a cape!" Or I would run away screaming. Seriously. The man that Jyharri was talking to sounded scary, and didn't his parents ever tell him to not talk to people with a creepy look, voice and even creepier eyes? And already the man is handing him that vile even though he just now joined the team? I really think the man shouldn't have given him the vile yet since,

A) Jyharri is a teenager. He could misplace it and let it fall into the wrong hands.

B) Jyharri is, once again, a teenager. He could probably tell someone else about it since he thought it was cool. Or he could even be secretly working for the Black Organization or something.

I think the man should have at least investigated Jyharri further and put spy cameras in his room or something to see if Jyharri wouldn't go against his word and tell anybody. How could Sydnie and Jyharri believe them that easily? I mean, yeah naivety is strong in childhood, but they weren't even a little suspicious of the men? Were they scared?

Just a little suggestion there. Also, the description got a lot better =DDDDDDD Awesome job!!! Also, who cares if the chapter was so short? xP It was still good! I could tell you worked hard on this!!! Awesome job!!! =DDDDDDDD
(Sorry if any of this review was hurtful/insulting/offensive Dx If it was, I promise that what I said was unintentional.)

I totally agree with asperger1981, but something else. I've lost all faith in Jyharri's character. if Aeolus had said somethging about glory, the greater good, that kinda stuff. how does Jyharri not know that "cleansing the world of sins" is a radical term for "kill everyone who disagrees with us" you're starting to make me hate Jyharri. yeah the story is not only hollow but the two groups don't contradict eachother. As far as you've shown me there is a clear good and clear evil, and btw not only was this a set-up chapter but it was a bad one, sorry thats just the truth. grammatical errors were up, the plot was poor, stacy was stitched in for no good reason, overall not your best work, combined with breaking two deadlines I'm not impressed, I hope the tourney isn't written like this. btw I hope Jyharri and Sydnie don't end up together, neither deserves happiness because their both acting like morons. can't wait for the next chapter

The plot of the matter was vague. Overall, both stories from the Black Organization and their enemies required more depth. It wasn't poor. The members just left out a lot of details. I'm sure there are a lot of stuff that they're hiding and that they don't wish to reveal. I'm pretty sure there's a twist coming up, but I'm not sure ;)

I don't believe Stacy was stitched in there for no good reason. If I was trying to make a story and the setting was in a school, I would put a few hello's from students. That's the only way to make it similar to school. You've got the teachers, the friends (who are going to say hi), the lunch ladies, etc. Also, Jyharri was looking at Sydnie and Ryan and feeling bleehhh. And then, BAM! Stacy pops up. Maybe that's a sign. Also, notice how Jyharri perked up after Stacy said hi? Another clear sign and hint. Her appearance may have seemed random, but it was letting us know she was still there and there might be a strong connection between her and Jyharri.

For the not your best work part, I have to disagree because I believe the description has gotten better. Comparing it to previous chapters, it has definitely shown improvement. I think the disappointment to the length has caused bitterness to arise. I wasn't in agreement with a few of the things that happened, such as Jyharri and Sydnie easily agreeing to the mysterious people, but, then again, I think this chapter was rushed. Shadow Lucario has been involved with a lot of stuff lately. He's in high school, which is probably piling homework on him. He's got a social life. He's probably got work. He's got a lot of things to handle, and so the exhaustion from all that stress probably caused him to rush the chapter. I completely understand where he's coming from, and, also, think about how long we had to wait for the chapter. Obviously that's a lot of stress he endured. So you got a stressful author with pressuring, eager readers patiently/impatiently waiting for him to finish. And, even under all that pressure and stress, he managed to write 8 pages. 8 decent pages. It seems short, but he spent precious time to write it. As you can see, it's got a few mistakes. A few. We can easily read past that (unless he wants us to point them out) and just enjoy the story. I don't see how the chapter was so bad; it was decent. Anyway, I just wanted to point out how Shadow Lucario is posting these on here for our satisfaction and enjoyment. Thanks, Shadow Lucario.

(Sorry if any of what I said was hurtful/insulting/offensive Dx If it was, I promise it was unintentional.)

ilocar

I'm not saying it sucked balls. it was fascinating, albeit predictable and cliche, I was irritated at the stacy appearance because I don't need to be reminded of her and SL hasn't bothered to remind us before, I was perfectly content until she could accomplish something useful for her to return, I feel like he threw her in there in a failed attempt to please fans.
The entire chapter has no plot. its sad to see how such immense potential could be squandered. more could have happened in detention, more character development could have been inserted and I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement that the chapter is rushed. whether or not SL has good reason to rush the chapter, the end result was not impressive. His description may have gotten better but that only served to make a 5 page chapter of nothing into an 8 page chapter of nothing.
@ SL: I realize my statements may seem harsh, please forgive me, I know this is your baby. but this chapter was not what the others were. I really think if you had added a little more conflict on Jyharri's and Sydnie's parts, more creativity with the back story and perhaps a little more productive dialogue, this chapter would be excellent, I know because the concept behind the chapter is very good. I'm still in love with this story and awaiting the next chapter with painful anticipation.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Guys you aren't harsh! D: I know where you guys are coming from. I don't really like the chapter myself. I guess I kind of wanted to get to the tournament faster so the chapter was rushed. I honestly tried to put something else in detention, but I couldn't think of anything that flowed.

Did you guys find the foreshadowing in here though? I left a clue in here about someone that foreshadows their role in the future. Also, don't be so sure Sydnie believes the Black Organization just yet. I say Sydnie because, yes, Jyharri believes Aeolus. If someone told you that someone was going to destroy the world, would you help them? Yes, he doesn't know him. Yes, he looks creepy, but all Jyharri can see in his head is glory and recognition. I'm sure you would be well appreciated if you helped stopped the destruction of the world.

I should have illustrated that better in the chapter. It's my fault as the author. The next four chapters will be better as they feature the tournament. I plan to go all out with these. Expect at least twenty page chapters, better illustration, better description, awesome battles, and a whole lot of plot/character development!

One thing I want to know that everyone seems to ignore -_- Favorite characters? Like I said, Sydnie is in the lead by two votes. If you want your favorite character to win the first character poll then you better vote for them before it's too late.

Poor Sydnie

It sucks for Sydnie. I'm taking her side for reasons I'm sure you understand. If you don't...well...you're much more dense than I thought. Thanks for the nickname btw. As weird as it might sound coming from me, it means a lot actually. Enjoy this. You'd never get it from me in person. Not in a million years.

And these guys are right, they did swallow it pretty quickly. I'd expect such things from Jyharri but Sydnie too? I mean...aren't girls usually a little sharper than guys just as a generalization.

;001; Wow...I didn't realize that I knew the original numbers this well. I found it right off the bat by looking it up by the number XD Wow I'm a pokenerd.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Hey there readers! Shadow Lucario here with the newest chapter of Dedication Through Light and Darkness. I know it's been a while, but I wanted to make sure that this chapter was just right. This chapter marks the first round in the tournament. It contains all the first round battles. I had to rush some of them so the chapter wouldn't be so long, but I fleshed out what needed to be fleshed out. I also want to add that all of these battles were determined at random. Also, some of the winners were determined at random. Now this chapter is a monster; my longest to date. This chapter is thirty-six pages long!! I will be posting it in three posts so don't freak out when you come to the end of a post and think there is nothing else. I think that's a good length to celebrate the one year anniversary! That's right, my fan fiction has survived on SPPf for one whole year and it's all thanks to you guys! I've said enough, now enjoi!

Dedication Through Light and Darkness

Chapter 15: Dorm Tournament! It Begins!

“Attention all participants in the tournament; the tournament will soon begin! Prepare your teams for battle! All of the pairings are completely random for a fair tournament! Good luck and represent your dorm well!”

The entire island had congregated to its center. Tents varying in color from red to blue to yellow to green were scattered across the area. Many of the tents shaded students who were selling various items; others were there to shade the students who were there enjoying the little festival. Not only were the students enjoying themselves, but their Pokémon were as well. A giant board stood above a field towards the center. Two screens lay on the board, currently blank. A foot hit the field, dust appearing around it. The shoe belonged to a fairly young man.

“This is where the tournament will be taking place Mr. Dimitrios,” said a smaller man dressed in a black suit.

“I hope to see some great battles,” Dimitrios said with a grin. “As a tournament official you must know the match-ups. I would hope you can give me a little sneak peak of them.”

“If I could I would sir,” said the official. “All of the matches are completely random. No one knows who is facing whom.”

Dimitrios chuckled and turned to face the official. The official shivered as his eyes met Dimitrios’s silver ones. A chill was sent down his spine. He had never seen eyes of that color.

“Is something the matter?” Dimitrios asked him.

“N-no,” answered the official. “I just had a little chill.”

“I hope you are alright.” A smirk appeared on Dimitrios’s face. “Can’t have you faint during the tournament. Let’s get ready; the tournament is starting soon.”

“Attention all tournament participants; the tournament is about to commence! Competitors head to the competitor’s area by the field! Spectators, head to the stands and get ready to see battling like you’ve never seen in before!”

As soon as the announcement was made a large roar of cheers erupted from the students. As the stands filled with people almost instantly, a group of students broke away from the crowd, heading towards a large building by the field. Upon entering the building the competitors instantly dispersed. Drake, Chad, and a girl from Lightning Yellow walked to the farthest wall to the right; Sydnie and Ryan sat on the tan colored couch situated in the middle of the room; Jyharri, Brandon, and Mio sat in three chairs to the right of the couch; Genevieve paced the room by herself, eyeing both Jessica and Jyharri; Jessica held one of her Pokéballs, staring at it by the door; Both pairs of twins chatted and laughed occasionally; Megan stared at Brandon, sighing often.

The door swung open and the official that was talking to Dimitrios entered. “Attention! The first matchup is about to be announced.” A television lowered from the back wall, pictures of all the trainers flashing on and off the screen. “The first competitor is…” A picture of the girl from Lightning Yellow filled the screen. “Kimberly Marita! And her opponent is…” The girl’s picture moved to the left side of the screen as more pictures flashed on the screen. The trainers didn’t move a muscle, all holding their breath. Finally, a picture of Ryan appeared on the screen. “Ryan Davis!”

The two competitors walked to the door, both with a smirk on their face. Kimberly flipped her dirty blonde hair as Ryan pushed his auburn hair out of his eyes. As the two left the room cheers erupted from the crowd. The two trainers stepped onto the field, moving to their respective sides.

“First round matches will be two on two. Both sides are allowed substitutions. Take out a Pokéball,” the referee told them.

Both trainers pulled out a ball and enlarged it, not taking their eyes off each other. As the referee raised both flags the trainers threw their Pokéballs on the field. Out of Kimberly’s Pokéball came a beaver like creature. Its small brown body did not make it seem menacing. Its front teeth seemed to be able to damage as the glinted in the sunlight. On Ryan’s side came a small creature as well. This one resembled a cat. Its pink body matched the pink end on its tail. The little pink creature did two consecutive back flips, a smile on its face.

“Bidoof start it off with a Rock Smash,” Kimberly started off.

The small beaver like Pokémon dashed towards the pink Pokémon with his little fist raised. As he threw a punch the little pink Pokémon jumped over him.

“You won’t be able to his Skitty with that kind of attack,” Ryan informed her. “Skitty try and use Copycat.”

Skitty landed on the ground, and gave a little growl before dashing towards Bidoof and hitting it with the end of her tail. Bidoof seemed dazed by the hit, reeling back. Before Bidoof knew what hit him Skitty kept up the assault, hitting him over and over with her tail.

“This is Skitty’s Double Slap attack,” said Ryan, his arms crossed.

“Bidoof use Hyper Fang!” Kimberly shouted.

As Skitty went in for another hit, Bidoof opened his mouth and bit into Skitty’s tail. The little pink Pokémon let out a scream and began to run around the field, Bidoof still attached to her tail.

“Now use Thunder!” Kimberly yelled.

Bidoof’s body became surrounded in electricity, Bidoof’s face scrunching up. After a couple seconds all of the electricity was released, hitting Skitty point blank. The beaver Pokémon leapt back by his trainer as Skitty lay on the ground, hurt by the electricity.

“Skitty you must get up,” Ryan pleaded, his calm composure broken.

“Bidoof hit her with Superpower!” Kimberly ordered.

A light surrounded Bidoof. The more Bidoof “charged up” the more light surrounded him. As more light surrounded him the brighter it got. The spectators covered their eyes to shield them from the blinding light. As Skitty started to stand Bidoof let out a cry, the light exploding out of him. The force hit Skitty head on, knocking her onto the ground again. As soon as the light vanished, the referee inspected Skitty.

“Skitty is unable to battle,” he announced holding up a green flag. “Bidoof is the winner!”

The crowd erupted in cheers as Ryan called Skitty back into her Pokéball. Bidoof did a little victory dance while Ryan pulled out his last Pokéball. His hand became very sweaty as the ball enlarged. A very serious look appeared on his face. If he did not win here, he was out.

“Sceptile, time to fight,” Ryan shouted as he threw the Pokéball.

As the ball opened a white light shot out of it, hitting the ground and materializing into a large creature. The tail it possessed resembled a palm tree branch, dark green in color. The Sceptile reared his head back and let out a growl. The little Bidoof cowered in fear.

“Sceptile use Quick Attack!” Ryan shouted.

As Sceptile dashed all that could be seen of him was a light green blur. In a matter of seconds Bidoof was hit. The Normal type was knocked back on his side as another green blur hit him. Bidoof didn’t have any openings for an attack. Every time he stood, he was hit by Sceptile.

“Bidoof use Thunder!” Kimberly cried desperately.

Once more Bidoof charged up electricity, releasing a large bolt of lightning. The attack connected with Sceptile, making him squint at the most.

“You’re a fourth year,” Ryan told her. “You should know that when Sceptile are on the ground that electric type attacks are ineffective. Sceptile teach it a lesson with Agility, followed up with Bullet Seed.”

Sceptile nodded at his trainer and dashed towards Bidoof. Unlike Quick Attack, when Sceptile used Agility, he couldn’t be seen. Sceptile appeared behind Bidoof and unleashed a barrage of yellow colored “bullets” upon Bidoof.

“Counter with Rollout,” Kimberly shouted.

Right before the “bullets” connected with Bidoof, the small brown Pokémon curled into a ball and rolled towards Sceptile like a bowling ball heading for pins.

“Side step it Sceptile!” Ryan cried.

Sceptile jumped slightly to the side, trying to avoid Bidoof’s attack. The edge of Bidoof scratched the ankle of Sceptile’s right foot. The Grass type staggered, losing his balance. Bidoof kept rolling, turning around and heading for Sceptile once more.

“Jump Bidoof,” Kimberly ordered.

The beaver like creature leaped, colliding into Sceptile’s gut. The third stage Pokémon fell onto his back, the ground shaking a bit. Still flying higher into the air Bidoof uncurled and faced the ground where Sceptile was.

“Now use Ice Beam,” Kimberly said, excitement showing.

A small blue orb formed in Bidoof’s mouth, a beam shooting out of it. Sceptile jumped up to one knee, looking up toward Bidoof.

“Sceptile jump back!” shouted Ryan.

Sceptile nodded at his trainer, attempting to dodge the attack by jumping backwards. This proved unsuccessful as when he jumped his extended left leg was hit by the beam, becoming encased in ice almost immediately. Despite just hitting his leg, Sceptile winced, taking a lot of damage. Bidoof landed in a ball, rolling at Sceptile yet again. The ice on Sceptile’s leg kept it from dodging, Bidoof hitting him square in the face.

“Hit him with the ice!” cried Ryan.

As Bidoof came around for another attack Sceptile lifted his leg as best he could. When Bidoof was about a meter in front of Sceptile, the Grass type brought down his leg with all of his force. Unable to stop, Bidoof was crushed under the ice, the ice shattering upon impact. As Sceptile walked back to his trainer, Bidoof stay on the ground, not moving.

“Bidoof is unable to battle,” said the referee as he held up a red flag. “Sceptile is the winner!”

Kimberly pulled out a Pokéball, a red beam hitting Bidoof and sucking it back into the ball. She eyed the Sceptile as she reached for her remaining Pokéballs. Sceptile was panting heavily, taking a lot of damage from Bidoof. A smile etched its way across her face as she chose one of her Pokéballs. As she tossed it, the same white light flew out of the ball, hitting the ground. The light started to materialize into a medium sized figure. When the light broke off, a creature resembling a dog started to punch the air. Its black collar matched the black wristbands it wore. Sceptile looked at its large jaw cautiously, positive it could do damage with one bite.

“Granbull, let’s end this quick,” Kimberly told her purple companion.

Granbull dashed at Sceptile, his jaw wide open. Sceptile tried to dodge, but winced in pain as his leg throbbed. A sharp pain shot through Sceptile’s body as Granbull latched onto the Grass type’s midsection. Sceptile looked down in horror, coming face to face with the Fairy Pokémon.

“Try to hit him with a Leaf Blade,” Ryan said.

The small leaves on Sceptile’s arms started to glow a light green as the extended. As Sceptile swung for Granbull’s face, the dog like Pokémon let go of Sceptile and jumped back. The tip of Sceptile’s blade hit Granbull in the face, stunning him. Seeing his chance, Sceptile kept up the assault, whacking Granbull over and over with his extended blades.

“Ice Fang him Granbull!” cried Kimberly.

As the Forest Pokémon swung again, Granbull dipped down to the ground, the blade missing him. His fangs became covered in ice as he leapt forward; biting into Sceptile in the same spot he had before. Sceptile let out a scream of pain, the spectators covering their ears. Granbull applied more pressure, his teeth digging into Sceptile’s skin.

“Sceptile use Screech!” Ryan shouted.

Sceptile looked down at Granbull and let out an ear drum piercing screech. The sound made Granbull release Sceptile and stagger backwards, paws on ears. Sceptile fell to one knee, pain running through his body.

“You have to get up Sceptile,” cried Ryan. “If you don’t then we’ll lose!”

Granbull shook off the ringing in his head and turned his attention towards Sceptile. An angry look took over Granbull’s face. The Fairy Pokémon ran at Sceptile, his right paw balled into a fist and glowing. Granbull’s fist connected with Sceptile’s jaw, sending him skidding against the ground, barely moving.

“End it with Flamethrower,” said Kimberly as she turned around.

A small flame appeared in Granbull’s mouth, growing in size. Sceptile slowly stood, his legs shaking. Granbull chuckled as he shot the flame out of his mouth, the flame extending into a stream of fire.

“Sceptile you have to move out of the way!” yelled Ryan. “If you get hit by that you’ll be severely injured! Get out of the way!”

Instead of doing what his trainer said, Sceptile stayed in his place, spreading his arms, welcoming the fire. Ryan watched in horror as the flames hit Sceptile head on. The force knocked Sceptile off his feet, flying about two meters into the air. The crowd gasped as Sceptile hit the ground with a loud thud. The referee looked Sceptile up and down, holding up the green flag.

“Sceptile is unable to battle,” he announced. “The winner is Granbull! The victor of the match is Kimberly Marita!”

An eruption of cheers emitted from the crowd, most of them coming from those in yellow. Ryan recalled Sceptile, not looking at anyone, or anything except the ground. As Sceptile was sucked into the Pokéball Ryan walked off the field and disappeared after he was out of sight. Kimberly recalled her Granbull, a half smile on her face.

“Congrats to Kim Marita of Lightning Yellow!” a voice said over an intercom. “This is why you don’t want to mess with fourth years kids, especially you first years. Let’s start the next match right away! Let’s find out who is facing whom!”

Kimberly returned to the area reserved for the competitors, the remaining ones watching the battle from a window. The television started to show the pictures of the competitors once again, minus Kimberly and Ryan. The first one landed on a Lightning yellow girl, her dirty blonde hair going down past her shoulders.

“The next competitor will be Stacy Thompson,” announced the official as Stacy approached him. “Her opponent will be,”

The pictures flashed on the screen again. As it slowed down all of the remaining competitors watched the screen intently, focused to see who would be facing Stacy. As it landed on her opponent all the people that knew Stacy gasped. Stacy turned to see who she was facing, sure she wouldn’t like it. The screen had shown a picture of her and her twin brother Craig.

“It will be Stacy Thompson against Craig Thompson,” the official announced. “Good luck trainers. Do your best.”

As Stacy started to walk towards the door, a hand rested on her shoulder. Having a feeling of who it might be, Stacy turned and came face to face with Jyharri. A small smile appeared on her face, the same on his. The look on his face said, “Good luck.” Craig swiftly walked past them, not making eye contact with anyone. Jyharri pulled Stacy into a long hug before letting go, Stacy walking out the door.

“Match two is just about to start,” said a voice over the intercom. “Remember competitors; the winner gets this Pokémon egg, its contents unknown.”

Where in the world did they get a Pokémon egg? Stacy thought to herself.

“Here’s a fun fact: these two competitors are siblings, but not only siblings; they’re twins!” the voice said. “This should be an interesting battle!”

The referee signaled for the two trainers to take out a Pokéball each, the trainers doing so. The referee held up a red flag and a green flag. As the referee dropped his arms, the Pokéballs flew onto the field. The familiar white light shot out from both Pokéballs. On Craig’s side of the field the light materialized into a floating figure. Two arms protruded from its side. Its clear blue body made it see through, its insides visible.

On Stacy’s side, the creature that emerged from her Pokéball resembled a large snail that seemed to consist entirely of magma. It moved slowly, leaving burn marks in its trail. The shell on its back seemed cracked in the middle, looking like magma was about to burst out from it.

“Magcargo, use Fire Blast!” Stacy started off.

“Metang, use Hyper Beam!” Craig retaliated.

Magcargo opened his mouth wide, a burst of flames shooting out. The flames formed a Japanese character, shooting towards the Metang. Metang held its hands close, an orange sphere appearing in them. As soon as enough energy was gathered, Metang pointed its hands towards the blast, the orange sphere turning into a blast. The two attacks collided, a massive explosion erupting in the middle of the field. Debris flew into the crowd, many people being pelted with chunks of earth. A large cloud of smoked covered the field, obscuring the view of the Pokémon. As the smoke cleared, both Pokémon seemed unharmed by the attacks.

“Try a Bullet Punch, Metang,” Craig told his Pokémon.

Both of Metang’s arms started to glow blue, as it flew straight for Magcargo. Being slow, Magcargo couldn’t dodge the fast Metang. The Steel type Pokémon punched Magcargo in the face, Magcargo sliding back a little. Magcargo turned to try and run, but Metang caught up and continued to punch Magcargo over and over.

“Let loose a Flamethrower, Magcargo!” Stacy yelled.

As the onslaught of punches continued, Magcargo opened his mouth, a stream of flames shooting out. The red hot flames hit Metang in the side, making it float away, its side severely injured.

“Now use AncientPower!” said Stacy.

A white ball began to form in front of Magcargo, increasing in size every second. Metang “dashed” towards Magcargo, trying its best to stop the energy from reaching max power.

“Fire it,” yelled Stacy.

The ball shot from Magcargo’s mouth hitting Metang in the same side the flames burned. The force of the attack made Metang flip backwards to his trainer. The burn on Metang’s side had started to become worse. Floating a little titled, Metang showed Craig that it still wanted to fight.

“Are you sure Metang?” Craig asked. Worry riddled his voice, Craig trying not to show it.

Metang nodded and straightened himself out. Magcargo spit out small flames, also ready to fight.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
[continued]​

“Metang use Meteor Mash!” Craig shouted.

Metang flew towards Magcargo, his right hand starting to glow. Magcargo braced himself as Metang neared him. As Metang was about to make contact, its side erupted in pain, causing Metang to fall onto the ground, the glowing disappearing from its hand.

“Magcargo finish him!” Stacy yelled. “It’s time for Lava Plume!”

Magcargo lowered his head, the ground below the Pokémon becoming extremely hot. It had even started to crack. From the cracks, lava started to spew out. A crack appeared below Metang, lava erupting all around it. The molten magma burned Metang all over, a scream coming from Metang. As the lava seeped back into the crack Metang lay on the floor, not moving.

“Metang is unable to battle,” the referee announced after checking Metang. “The winner is Magcargo!”

“Metang,” Craig said as Metang turned into a red beam, being sucked back into the Pokéball. “I’m sorry.”

Craig pulled out another ball, holding it up to his head. He started to mutter some words that were inaudible to anyone but him.

“Any day now Craig,” Stacy yelled across the field, annoyance in her voice.

Craig finished his muttering and a smile etched its way across his face. He tossed his Pokéball onto the field, a confident air about him. “Time for my ace to show what he’s made of! Tentacruel let’s go!”

As the ball opened, the white light that shot out materialized into a figure that was bigger than most humans. It possessed two red crystals atop its head, the sunlight refracting off of them. It smacked its long tentacles on the ground, causing it to shake. Magcargo could barely keep his balance, tipping over on his side.

“Magcargo return,” Stacy said as she quickly recalled Magcargo, pulling out another Pokéball. “If you’re using your ace then I might as well bring mine out. Feraligatr, show him what you’re made of!”

The figure that emerged from Stacy’s Pokéball was also bigger than the average human, standing at seven feet and seven inches. Much like Craig’s Tentacruel, Feraligatr was a shade of blue, much lighter than Tentacruel. As soon as the light vanished from her body, Feraligatr fell forward onto all fours as most Feraligatrs did when out of water.

“Be careful of the big jaw Tenta,” Craig told him. “It is as dangerous as it looks. That jaw can cause a lot of damage if you’re not careful.”

“Feraligatr start things off with a Giga Impact!” Stacy commanded.

A yellow orange energy surrounded the Water type’s body. As Feraligatr dashed at Tentacruel a purple sphere surrounded his body as well. The ground crumbled under Feraligatr, leaving a type of trail of broken earth in his path. Tentacruel put his tentacles in front of him, the attack colliding into him. Tentacruel held Feraligatr in his place the best he could. Despite having strong tentacles, Feraligatr overpowered the jellyfish and collided into him, sending him flying back. The energy disappeared from Feraligatr, the Pokémon locked in his place as if he had been paralyzed.

“Tenta,” Craig called, “after Giga Impact is used the user can’t move for a while! Hit him with Poison Jab!”

Two of Tentacruel’s tentacles started to glow purple. Tentacruel jumped up at Feraligatr, whacking him over and over. Feraligatr couldn’t stop the onslaught as Giga Impact had left him needing to recharge his energy.

“Stop the attack,” Stacy finally yelled.

As Tentacruel went for another hit, one of his tentacles was stopped by Feraligatr, his grip crushing it. Tentacruel tried to break away, but Feraligatr had him right where he wanted him.

“Feraligatr, use Crunch!” Stacy commanded.

Feraligatr opened his jaws wide, biting down onto Tentacruel’s head. The Jellyfish Pokémon showed his pain in his face, his eyes shut tightly. The more Tentacruel struggled, the harder Feraligatr crunched down on him.

“Try to use Bubblebeam,” Craig said.

Tentacruel’s beak opened, releasing a barrage of bubbles onto Feraligatr’s face. The force from the bubbles pushed Feraligatr off Tentacruel, but did not do much damage. Tentacruel looked exhausted, barely standing. Feraligatr looked like he could go for another couple hours, showing no signs of exhaustion.

“Let’s finish this Feraligatr,” Stacy told her Pokémon. “It’s time to use Earthquake!”

A surprised look took over Craig’s face. Tentacruel is weak to ground types! he thought. Feraligatr ran towards Tentacruel on all fours. The speed of Feraligatr was impressive, especially after battling for a while. Jumping into the air, Feraligatr quickly dropped, one foot slamming into the ground. The ground cracked even more, jagged pieces forming, looking like rocks. A shockwave was sent out, shaking the spectator’s area. Even the remaining competitor’s felt the shaking. Craig had trouble keeping his balance while Stacy was perfectly fine, being used to the attack. The shockwave hit Tentacruel, knocking him to the ground. Tentacruel tried his best to get up, not wanting to disappoint his trainer.

“It’s over!” Stacy shouted. “Finish it with Focus Punch!”

Rebounding from the previous attack, Feraligatr jumped forward towards the downed Tentacruel, his left fist glowing. Tentacruel tried to block, but Feraligatr pushed his way past the many tentacles, punching Tentacruel where his gut would be. Eyes wide, Tentacruel lay on the ground, not moving. Feraligatr ran back to his trainer allowing the referee to make a decision.

“Tentacruel is unable to battle,” he announced. “The winner is Feraligatr. The victor of this match is Stacy Thompson!”

After both trainers had recalled their Pokémon, Stacy ran over to her brother, throwing a hug on him. Craig was surprised by his sister’s actions, but smiled anyway.

“Don’t you dare lose to anyone,” Craig told her.

“Don’t worry,” Stacy assured him, “I won’t.”

With a last smile, Craig walked away from his sister, heading towards the stands. A nurse had been stationed out there with a machine. Craig handed her his Pokéballs, the nurse putting them in the machine. After a few seconds the machine dinged. The nurse handed Craig his Pokéballs, a smile on her face.

“Your Pokémon are all healed up now,” she told him.

As Craig entered the stands, Stacy walked back to the competitor’s area, a grin on her face. Jyharri watched as the door began to open, his heart thumping. He was glad Stacy had won, hoping to do the same in his match. Stacy let out a sigh of relief as Jyharri congratulated her with a hand on her shoulder. The official cleared his throat, waiting for everyone’s attention. The remaining trainers looked towards him, determination in everyone’s eyes. The pictures began to shuffle again. This time it landed on an Ocean Blue girl. Her black hair covered the left side of her face, obscuring her left green eye.

“The next competitor is Lexes Brown,” the official announced, “with her opponent being…”

The pictures went through the remaining competitors faster than before, choosing a person quickly. The boy was in Fire Red, his short hair complimenting his face.

“Mio Bunea,” the official finished.

As the two trainers left the room the crowd was cheering like wild. The first two battles excited them, leaving them wanting more.

“And now the third match! Lexes Brown versus Mio Bunea! The first two matches have been phenomenal! I hope this match does not disappoint!”

“Trainers, draw your Pokéballs,” the referee instructed.

Mio drew his Pokéball, a calm look on his face. Lexes had a complete opposite look; she looked confident, a little too confident. As the referee dropped both flags, the trainers threw their Pokéballs, light bursting from them. On Mio’s side was his Blaziken, tall and ready to fight. Flames burst from his wrists. His beak opened, a flame shooting out. On Lexes’ side was a white and brown creature that mostly resembled a tree. The Snover looked to be no threat to Blaziken.

“Blaziken toast him with Flamethrower,” Mio started off.

Opening his beak, Blaziken released a flame, shooting out straight at Snover. The dual Ice and Grass type jumped to the side desperately trying not to get hit with a move that could possibly knock it out instantly.

“Snover use Water Pulse!” Lexes countered.

After wiping herself off, Snover formed a sphere with her hands, the sphere seemingly made of water. Snover hit the sphere on the ground, the sphere rushing at Blaziken, waves coming off the sides of it.

“Blaziken, jump over it and use Blaze Kick,” Mio chuckled.

Blaziken easily dodged the water attack, his right foot becoming engulfed in flames as he did so. The Snover watched as Blaziken brought his flame engulfed foot down onto her head. Snover’s eyes rolled back into her head as she collapsed. Blaziken jumped back, a small tear in his eye.

“Is Blaziken crying?” the voice said over the intercom. “Looks like he feels some sympathy for his opponent!”

“That was a nice hit,” Lexes complimented him. “Will you knock out my next Pokémon like that?”

Lexes launched another Pokéball onto the field, this time a purple monkey like Pokémon emerged. The similarities between it and a monkey were uncanny, except that this monkey had two tails. Not only that, but it had two hands on the ends of those tails as well.

“Can Ambipom finish Blaziken and bring this match to a tie?” the announcer shouted.

“Hit him with Double Kick,” Mio chuckled still.

Blaziken jumped at Ambipom, kicking him in the face with one foot. As Ambipom began to be pushed back, Blaziken kicked him in the gut with his other foot, sending him flying into the air.

“Finish it with Sky Uppercut,” Mio told him.

Blaziken’s right fist began to glow a light blue. Jumping into the air, Ambipom’s face met with Blaziken’s fist, sending him even higher into the air. As Blaziken came down, tears streamed down his face.

“And this one is over!” the announcer yelled. The referee raised his flags to verify this. “That is the quickest match we’ve had so far! Mio Bunea of Fire Red advances!”

“Oh yes,” Lexes whispered to herself, “you’ll be very useful. The leader will be very pleased.”

Mio folded his arms and walked back to the competitor’s area. Everyone else was surprised to see the match over so fast. Turning their attention back to the screen, the waiting competitors were all tensely watching the screen, about to see the next matchup.

“The next match will be,” the official trailed off as two pictures appeared on the screen. The matches were being paired up faster as more people became eliminated. “The next match is Drake Darrell versus Sydnie Lake!”

A shocked look appeared on Sydnie’s face. She would be facing the guy who beat Jyharri, who in turn beat her. Drake seemed surprised, a smile taking over soon after. Both trainers walked to the door, entering the field. Drake nodded at Sydnie with a smile while Sydnie shakily nodded back.

“Next up is Drake Darrell, a fourth year Fire Red, versus Sydnie Lake, a first year Fire Red! This should make for one interesting matchup! Drake has only lost one battle while here at the Academy! Will he keep his near perfect record, or will Sydnie be the cause of his second loss?”

The announcer wasn’t helping Sydnie’s nerves. Taking out her Pokéball was harder than usual, the capsule almost slipping out of her hand. The referee signaled the beginning of the match, Drake tossed his Pokéball out onto the field, a confident look on his face. Sydnie was about to throw her ball onto the field, but remembered she had to enlarge it first. Correcting her mistake, Sydnie enlarged the Pokéball and threw it out onto the field. On Drake’s side the light flew into the air and materialized into a giant moth shape. As the light vanished, it flapped its giant purple wings, a small gust of wind forming. On Sydnie’s side, her Espeon materialized onto the field, her split tail waving back and forth.

“Smart choice by Sydnie!” the announcer shouted. “Venomoth is weak to Psychic type attacks and Espeon is probably one of the strongest Psychic Pokémon!”

Drake’s usual cool, and collected composure was broken, his face now in a scowl. “Venomoth use Silver Wind!”

“A nice start by Drake!” said the announcer. “Psychic types are weak to Bug types! This should be quite the battle!”

Venomoth flapped his wings slowly, picking up speed as silver crescents shot out. Espeon waited until the crescents were about to hit when she jumped, dodging the attack.

“Espeon use Psybeam!” Sydnie countered.

A rainbow colored beam shot from Espeon’s eyes, heading for Venomoth in a jagged motion. Drake made a motion to Venomoth with his hand, Venomoth nodding his head. Before the attack could hit, Venomoth flew over the beam and flew directly for Espeon. Part of Venomoth’s head turned bluish white as Venomoth positioned his body for a headbutt. Espeon didn’t have enough time to react, Venomoth’s skull colliding into Espeon’s. The Psychic type flew back, stunned by the attack.

“Follow up with a Signal Beam,” Drake commanded.

A ball of white energy formed between Venomoth’s antennae. The ball of white energy turned into a rainbow colored beam, similar to Psybeam. As the beam hit Espeon, a cry was let out that made the crowd cover their ears again. Many thoughts ran through Sydnie’s head as she watched her Pokémon scream in pain.

“Now use Gust!” shouted Drake, giving Sydnie barely enough time to think.

The Bug type Pokémon flapped his wings furiously. A wind blew over Espeon hitting her over and over again. Sydnie tried to think of something to do, but nothing seemed like it would work.

“E-espeon,” Sydnie stuttered, “try to use Swift.”

Espeon turned her head towards Venomoth and released multiple stars, all large. The stars didn’t go very far, the gust of wind pushing them back on Espeon, damaging her even more.

“Finish it with Tackle,” Drake confidently told his Pokémon.

Venomoth finally stopped flapping his wings, going for a direct attack instead. Sydnie looked up at the sky, clouds obscuring the sun from view.

Just a little longer! she desperately thought.

Venomoth flew straight towards Espeon, his head bent low. Espeon stood shakily, barely holding herself up.

“Try to counter with Psychic!” cried Sydnie.

As Venomoth neared Espeon, Espeon’s eyes started to glow. Venomoth was stopped dead, a blue aura surrounding his body. Trying to wiggle free, Venomoth could not move. Espeon looked towards the ground, Venomoth flying into it. When Espeon looked up, Venomoth was thrown into the air. Espeon threw Venomoth into the ground and back into the air a couple times before collapsing. Sydnie looked up at the sky when an overjoyed look took over her face. The sun was bright and visible, no clouds near it.

“Espeon use Morning Sun!” Sydnie hurriedly told her.

The Psychic type’s body began to shine as rays from the sun covered her. Espeon’s bruises and scratches began to vanish as she stood up straight. Venomoth hit the ground like a ton of bricks, barely moving.

“Espeon,” said Sydnie as a smile appeared on her face, “finish it with Tackle.”

Espeon rushed towards Venomoth, colliding into his body as hard as she could. The Bug type skidded across the ground, stopping at Drake’s feet. He looked down in horror as he saw his Pokémon was knocked out.

“Venomoth is unable to battle,” the referee announced as he held up the green flag. “Espeon is the winner!”

Silent at first, the crowd erupted in cheers and whistles. Sydnie looked towards the crowd, seeing many people cheering and clapping. As she scanned the crowd she came across Ryan, a smile on his face as he gave her a golf clap. Sydnie began to blush as she turned back to Drake who already held his second Pokéball in his hand and Venomoth recalled already.

“That was great,” Drake complimented her. “Can you beat this next one like you did the last?”

Drake released his Pokéball, the all too familiar white light shooting out and hitting the ground. As the light started to vanish Sydnie quickly recalled her Espeon. The light completely vanished from Drake’s side, revealing his Alakazam.

“Now Drake is using Alakazam!” the announcer shouted over the intercom. “That’s his starter, his ace, his best, the trick up his sleeve!”

Sydnie thought about the two remaining Pokémon she had. Bulbasaur wouldn’t do too well as he is weak to Psychic type attacks. Milotic could be good as it had no weaknesses with Alakazam that she knew of.

“Milotic, I call you,” Sydnie shouted as she threw her Pokéball.

With an explosion of sparkles, her Milotic burst onto the field. Alakazam began to levitate, his signature spoons in hand. Milotic looked Alakazam over, carefully slithering around him.

“Alakazam, use Shock Wave,” Drake shouted.

Alakazam began to spin his spoons very fast. As he crossed them, a blue bolt of electricity shot out. Milotic curved her body, the electricity barely missing. A smile appeared on both Alakazam’s and Drake’s face. The bolt of electricity that missed Milotic turned around and hit Milotic in the back.

“Didn’t you know?” Drake asked Sydnie. “Shock Wave never misses. I can keep using it over and over again and it will never miss.”

As soon as Drake said those words, Alakazam fired another bolt of electricity which, just like Drake said, hit Milotic with perfect accuracy.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
[continued]​

I need to find a way to counter it, Sydnie thought. The thing is I don’t know what to use.

As Sydnie was thinking Milotic was hit with another bolt of electricity. Milotic frantically tried to dodge it, but the attack kept hitting its intended target.

“I’ve got it!” Sydnie exclaimed.

“There is nothing to get,” said Drake. “This battle will be over soon. A few more Shock Waves will finish off that Milotic.”

Alakazam began to spin his spoons again, the electricity firing from them.

“Now use Mirror Coat!” Sydnie shouted.

As soon as the electricity hit Milotic a yellow-orange aura surrounded Milotic. The electricity flew off of Milotic and hit Alakazam, dealing him twice the damage. The Psychic type fell to the ground, dropping his spoons. Alakazam hurriedly grabbed his spoons and began to fix his moustache as he started to levitate.

“Looks like that plan is ruined,” muttered Drake.

“Milotic use Iron Head!” commanded Sydnie.

Milotic became encased in white as she jumped at Alakazam. As he was too busy fixing his moustache, Alakazam didn’t notice the glowing Milotic flying towards him until the last second. Milotic collided with Alakazam, sending him back to Drake, landing on the ground hard.

“Now end this with Hydro Pump,” Sydnie happily squealed.

As the big burst of water rocketed towards Alakazam, he lifted his head, followed by raising a hand towards the water. Suddenly the water stopped, both Sydnie and Milotic shocked.

“Don’t be so surprised,” Drake told them. “You just used the same attack. Alakazam, show them your Psychic attack!”

Alakazam rose in the air, going up about three meters. After he finished rising, Alakazam made a motion with his hand. The water that Milotic fired at Alakazam was turned against her. The water hit Milotic square in the face. After the water had vanished it looked as if Milotic hadn’t taken any damage from the attack.

“I’ve trained my Milotic to withstand Water type attacks and take close to no damage,” Sydnie informed him. “Now use Ice Beam!”

A light blue sphere appeared in Milotic’s mouth, two jagged beams shooting off of it. Alakazam rose higher, attempting to dodge the beams. The ice barely grazed his leg, his foot becoming encased in ice. Alakazam lost his balance, falling to the ground yet again.

“Get up Alakazam!” Drake shouted.

The Psychic type tried his best to levitate, but the ice on his foot prevented him from rising. Milotic quickly slithered over to Alakazam and wrapped herself around him, binding the Psi Pokémon.

“Hit him with Hydro Pump,” Sydnie ordered.

Milotic reared her head back, her mouth opening wide. Alakazam tried to break free, but Milotic’s grip was not loosening one bit. As he turned a huge stream of water blasted him in the face. When Milotic let go of Alakazam, his body went limp. Milotic slithered back to Sydnie, a smile on both of their faces.

“All right Alakazam, enough acting,” Drake said. “You’re horrible at it anyway. Let’s get serious now.”

The ice on Alakazam’s foot shattered into tiny ice crystals as Alakazam jumped up into the air, levitating as he had before. Sydnie stared across the field, a shocked look on her face.

“How did Alakazam withstand all those attacks?” questioned Sydnie. “He should be knocked out by now!”

“I have had my Alakazam since it was an Abra,” explained Drake. “I’ve been training him for ten years. Knowing I would come up against tough opponents in my journey I made sure Alakazam could withstand attacks that weren’t super effective. It took a couple years, but I have finally perfected it. Thank you for furthering our training. Ref, I quit this match. If this continues both Milotic and Espeon will be severely injured and I do not wish to be responsible for such monstrosity.”

“Drake Darrell quits,” the referee announced. “Sydnie wins the match!”

The crowd was silent, a few mutters heard. Sydnie was also silent, not believing what had just transpired. A clap had broken the silence of the crowd. Sydnie faced the crowd and saw Ryan standing, clapping for her. Slowly, more people joined in until most of the crowd was clapping.

“I can’t believe Drake just quit like that,” Jyharri said. “I wanted to be the one who knocked him out of this tournament. Well, now I know I’m going to win the whole thing.”

“Don’t be so sure,” Mio told him. “I think I have a pretty good chance.”

“You first years need to learn your place,” a voice interjected.

Mio and Jyharri turned to face the third year Leaf Green, Chad, who was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

“If anyone is winning this thing, it’s me,” said Chad.

“Ahem,” the official cleared his throat. “The next match is about to be announced.”

Sydnie silently slid into the room, everyone facing the screen. Two pictures appeared on the screen at the same time, showing the next match.

“The next match is Brianna Marin versus Chad Marshall!” the official announced.

Chad looked his opponent up and down, giving a scoff. As the two trainers exited Jyharri began to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Brenna asked him.

“Brianna doesn’t stand a chance against Chad,” replied Jyharri. “I predict this match will be over in three attacks from Chad.”

“I have to agree with Jyharri,” said Mio.

Everyone else in the room agreed except Brenna. “You guys are mean! I’m willing to bet anything that Brianna will kick Chad’s ***!”

“When Brianna loses,” started Jessica, “you have to give everyone in here money until you run out.”

“Deal,” Brenna told her holding out her hand. “When Brianna wins, everyone in here must give me all their money!”

Everyone proceeded to shake Brenna’s hand, making sure no one could back out of the bet. When the remaining competitors turned to watch the battle, there was Pokémon on both sides of the field. On Chad’s side was his starter Pokémon, Gengar while on Brianna’s side was the small, but speedy Linoone. Gengar floated above Linoone, encircling him.

“Linoone, hit him with Quick Attack,” Brianna started.

“Gengar, stand still,” Chad said with a chuckle.

Gengar ceased his movements, floating right above Linoone. Linoone dashed towards one of the chunks of the broken ground, jumping on it to fly towards Gengar’s back. Gengar still remained still, not making an attempt to dodge.

“You’re such an idiot!” Brianna laughed at Chad while Brenna laughed with her sister on the side.

Linoone connected with Gengar’s back, or at least he thought. Instead of knocking Gengar down, Linoone flew straight through Gengar, heading straight towards the ground.

“What in the world?!” exclaimed Brianna. “How did you do that?”

“I didn’t do anything,” Chad told her. “Ghost types aren’t affected by Normal type attacks. You should feel some safety though. Normal types aren’t affected by Ghost type attacks.”

“Ha!” Brianna laughed. “Now you can’t hit me either! I should have taught my Linoone some other types of attacks, but oh well.”

“My Gengar doesn’t know just Ghost type attacks,” said Chad, a wicked smile slowly drawing itself across his face. “A trainer of Ghost types must utilize their Pokémon’s skill to learn many different types of attacks. Watch and learn. Gengar, use Brick Break!”

Gengar’s left hand began to glow white as Gengar dropped from the air at a fast speed. As Linoone looked up, Gengar drove his hand into Linoone’s face, pushing him down into the ground. When Gengar jumped back Linoone lay on the ground, not moving.

“Linoone is unable to battle,” the referee announced. “Gengar is the winner!”

The crowd erupted in cheers as Brianna recalled her Pokémon and drew another Pokéball. The white light from the ball landed right in front of Gengar, materializing into her Swinub.

“Swinub won’t lose,” Brianna said confidently.

“We’ll see about that,” said Chad under his breath.

“Swinub, use Icy Wind!” Brianna commanded.

A small breeze of wind shot out of Swinub’s mouth, ice crystals shooting out with the wind. Gengar jumped to the side, easily dodging the wind.

“Use Shadow Ball, Gengar,” said Chad.

A ball of black energy began to gather between Gengar’s hands. Brianna pointed at Gengar, telling Swinub to stop the attack. As Swinub charged at Gengar, the ball of black energy doubled in size. When Swinub was less than a meter away from Gengar, the black energy ball shot out, hitting Swinub directly in the face.

“Finish it with Brick Break,” Chad said as he turned away.

Gengar jumped forward, his left hand glowing white once more. Before Swinub hit the ground, Gengar punched Swinub in the gut, smashing her into the ground. An “Ahhhhh!” came from the crowd as Swinub was driven into the ground.

“Swinub is unable to battle,” announced the referee. “The winner is Gengar! The victor of this match is Chad Marshall!”

Brianna silently recalled her Pokémon and sulked over to the stands, while her twin sister opened her wallet and began to distribute her money.

“So far this first round has been filled with many surprises,” said the announcer. “We’ve seen long matches, short matches, and even a forfeit! There are only three matches left in this first round! Let us see who is up next!”

Everyone in the stands turned towards the board high above the crowd, pictures of the six remaining trainers flickering on and off. As the flickering came to a stop, it was decided that Brandon would face Brenna in the third to last match of the first round. As the two trainers walked onto the field one person was cheering; it was Brianna.

“Don’t worry Brianna,” Brenna told her, “I’m going to pound this loser into the ground for you!”

“Ugh,” was all Brandon let out as he took out his first Pokéball. “As soon as both of our Pokémon are on the field I’m going to end this in less than thirty seconds.”

“You’re funny,” laughed Brenna as she drew her own Pokéball. “I’m going to be the one winning this match and this tournament!”

“Let the battle begin,” the referee said. This time he didn’t need to tell the trainers to take out a Pokéball.

On Brenna’s side of the field was the Vulpix Brand and Jyharri saw her battle her sister with on the day they met while on the opposite side of the field by Brandon was a creature that resembled Squirtle, but had some differences. Not only was he taller, but now he possessed white fluffy ears on the sides of his head. His tail had changed from a small blue swirl to a longer white fluff.

“Wartortle, use Hydro Pump,” Brandon started before Brenna had a chance to do anything.

Just like Milotic before him, Wartortle opened his mouth wide, releasing a large jet of water. The water blast Vulpix all over, knocking it out almost immediately. Brenna and the crowd was stunned to see Vulpix knocked out so quick.

“Vulpix is unable to battle,” the referee announce, a little surprised himself. “Wartortle is the winner!”

Brenna recalled her Vulpix while Brandon did the same with his Wartortle. Brenna angrily drew another Pokéball, tossing it onto the field. A small blue mouse like Pokémon emerged, ready to battle.

“How will you handle my Marill?” Brenna asked him.

Brandon simply laughed as he tossed his own Pokéball onto the field. The Pokémon that appeared was more than ten times Marril’s size. It was Brandon’s best, Torterra.

“That’s how I’ll handle it,” he said with a smirk.

“Marill, use Double Edge,” Brenna said quickly, making sure she attacked first.

The Marill charged at Torterra, gaining a significant amount of speed. The small Water type hit Torterra’s foot and bounced off, sliding back to her original position.

“Torterra, end it with Frenzy Plant,” said Brandon as he shook his head.

A light green aura surrounded the outline of Torterra, as he stomped the ground with his forelegs. Giant tan roots shot out of the ground, rising into the air. As the roots reached their height limit, they bent towards Marill and rocketed towards her.

“Get out of there!” shouted Brenna.

Marill ran in the opposite direction, hoping to outrun the roots, but the roots caught up to her, smacking into the Water Pokémon mercilessly. Marill lay face down on the ground unable to move.

“Marill is unable to battle,” said the referee. “The winner is Torterra. The victor of this match is Brandon!”

“What a beating!” shouted the announcer. “This match was only a mere forty-three seconds long!”

“Thirteen seconds over what I originally planned, but I’ll take it,” said Brandon as he recalled his Torterra and walked off the field.

“Let’s not waste any time people!” said the announcer. “The next match is…”

There were only four trainers left; Scott, Jyharri, Genevieve, and Jessica. Whoever wasn’t in this next match would know who their opponent was in the final match of the first round. After a couple seconds of awkward silence, the board showed the next match.

“The second to last match is Jyharri Ahmed versus Scott Martinez!” the announcer shouted into the intercom.

Jessica and Genevieve slowly faced each other from across the room. They would be facing each other in the final match. A strange bubbling made itself noticed inside Genevieve’s stomach. She didn’t know if it was anger or just excitement that she would be facing Jessica. Before Scott and Jyharri walked onto the field, the two boys shook hands, giving each other a smile.

“Good luck Jyharri,” Scott told him.

Jyharri let out a laugh, a little bit of malice in the tone. “I don’t need luck; I have skill. Don’t lose too fast alright?”

The two walked onto the field, Pokéballs already in hand. The field had been almost completely destroyed by the time Jyharri and Scott walked onto the field. Many pieces of the ground stuck out, forming a jagged, rocky field. The referee dropped both his arms, signaling the start of the match.

“Eevee, standby for battle!” Jyharri yelled.

“Jolteon, come forth and fight!” Scott shouted.

Jyharri’s Eevee emerged from her Pokéball like she always does; showing off with a couple of front flips. From Scott’s Pokéball came what looked like a bigger yellow version of Eevee. His fur looked like it could take someone’s eye out with just a little poke. Near his collar he had spiky white fur, much different from the yellow.

“Looks like we can prove you can beat your evolutions, Eevee,” said Jyharri with a small laugh. “Start by running towards him!”

Eevee started in a dash towards Jolteon, not moving too fast, or too slow. Jolteon carefully watched Eevee’s movements, bracing himself in case she attacked.

“Now use Shadow Ball,” Jyharri told her.

Similar to Gengar, black energy began to form in her mouth as she ran towards Jolteon. Jolteon was prepared for an attack as he jumped over Eevee with an elegant flip.

“Hit her with Pin Missile,” Scott said.

While in the air, pins shot out of Jolteon’s fur, landing all around Eevee, trapping her. Eevee stopped, still gathering energy. She did an about face turning towards Jolteon, watching as he was about to land.

“Fire it,” said Jyharri.

The black energy ball shot out at Jolteon while he was still somewhat in the air. The ball hit Jolteon in his flank area, sending him spinning in the opposite direction of Eevee.

“Follow up with Dig,” Jyharri continued.

Eevee burrowed under the ground, a hole now added to the messed up field. Jolteon stood, looking around, trying to find some hint as to where Eevee would pop up at.

“As soon as Eevee pops up use Double Kick,” Scott commanded.

A small hole began to form under Jolteon. The Electric type jumped back, waiting for Eevee to jump out. The Normal type jumped out as expected, Jolteon reacting by leaping at Eevee, his back legs in front of him.

“Bite his leg Eevee,” countered Jyharri.

Before Jolteon’s foot connected, Eevee opened her mouth and bit into one of Jolteon’s legs. Eevee then proceeded to throw Jolteon into the ground with all of her strength. Jolteon jumped back onto his feet the instant he hit the ground. As Eevee landed, the two stared each other down, both waiting for a command.

“Use Quick Attack,” Scott and Jyharri yelled in unison.

Both Pokémon collided into each other in the blink of an eye. The two kept colliding into each other, not wanting to give up. After the collisions became tiresome the two returned to their positions, breathing heavily. Before either trainer could call an attack, both of their Pokémon fell to the ground at the same time.

“Both Pokémon are unable to battle,” the referee said as he held up both flags. “The result is a double knockout!”

Both Jyharri and Scott smirked as they recalled their fallen comrades and drew another Pokéball.

“Charizard, standby for battle!” Jyharri shouted.

“Pidgeotto, come forth and fight!” yelled Scott.

“Looks like Jyharri wants to end this quick!” the announcer shouted. “He brought out his ace of spades! His Charizard! Scott could have brought out his, but he decides to send out Pidgeotto!”

“Pidgeotto, use Quick Attack,” Scott said, using the same attack that Jolteon last used.

Pidgeotto folded her wings in, diving down towards Charizard. Charizard grunted, a small flame shooting out of his nostrils.

“Stop that bird,” Jyharri said as he pointed at Pidgeotto.

Charizard held out his claw, grabbing Pidgeotto by the beak. Pidgeotto let out a small cry, trying to free herself from Charizard’s grip.

“Toast her with Flamethrower,” Jyharri followed up.

The Fire type took in a deep breath, letting out a stream of fire onto Pidgeotto. As the Flying/Normal type became shrouded in fire Charizard finally let go, letting her fall to the ground.

“Finish it with Slash,” Jyharri said with confidence.

“Try to dodge it,” Scott desperately told Pidgeotto.

Pidgeotto started to stand when Charizard’s claws met her back, swatting her back to Scott, not able to continue.

“Pidgeotto is unable to battle,” announced the referee. “The winner is Charizard! The victor of this match is Jyharri!”

Both trainers recalled their Pokémon as the crowd cheered them on. Scott jogged across the field, holding out his hand for Jyharri to shake for a well fought match. Jyharri scoffed and walked around Scott, heading back to the competitor’s area.

“If I’m not mistaken then we only have two trainers left,” said the announcer, not yelling for once. “Let’s bring them on out and bring this first round to a close!”

Genevieve’s heart started to beat faster and harder. She and Jessica both exited, passing Jyharri who didn’t give either of them a glance. When they stepped onto the field, the crowd behind Genevieve seemed silent. She could only hear her pulse in her ears. She quickly drew her Pokéball, the noise now flooding into her. The crowd was cheering wildly, the referee told the trainers to start the match, and Jessica’s Pokéball cracked open, releasing her Gligar onto the field.

“Ursaring, follow me into the fray!” Genevieve shouted once she realized she needed to send out her Pokémon.

The giant bear roared once it was released. Jessica’s Gligar seemed tiny compared to Genevieve’s Ursaring. The Normal type patted his stomach, ready to begin.

“Gligar use Steel Wing,” Jessica quickly told her Pokémon.

The webbed part under Gligar’s pincers glowed white as he flew towards Ursaring. Ursaring brought his arm up, waiting for Gligar to get near him. As soon as Gligar was close enough, Ursaring swatted Gligar out of the air like a fly, driving him into the ground.

“Now use Hyper Beam!” Genevieve shouted.

An orange-yellow sphere formed in Ursaring’s mouth. When Gligar stood, the sphere turned into a beam, shooting out towards the FlyScorpion Pokémon. Gligar tried to jump out of the way, but the beam caught him in his lower body.

“Gligar,” Jessica shouted worriedly.

Ursaring stood completely still, recharging after the beam had vanished.

“Ursaring,” Genevieve called, “once you can move hit that Gligar with Hammer Arm.”

Ursaring nodded as he watched the Gligar slowly get up, almost falling back down again. Gligar shook his head, trying to shake off the damage he had taken from the Hyper Beam. Ursaring slowly moved his left foot, learning he regained mobility. Soon after, Ursaring’s arms began to glow as he ran at Gligar.

“Gligar, watch out for that Hammer Arm!” Jessica warned him.

Gligar jumped to the side as Ursaring slammed his arm down towards him. As Ursaring brought down his other arm Gligar flipped over Ursaring landing behind him, leaving him open to an attack.

“Now use X-Scissor!” Jessica commanded.

Gligar crossed his claws as he jumped forward. When the claws were a few centimeters from Ursaring’s back, Gligar made a slashing movement in the shape of an X. A white X shot out of Gligar’s claws hitting Ursaring in the back, making the Normal type stumble.

“Now follow up with Slash!” continued Jessica.

Gligar began to hack and slash at Ursaring’s back continually until the big bear fell to one knee.

“Ursaring, use Faint Attack,” countered Genevieve.

Ursaring turned to face Gligar, starting to make a run at him. Gligar put his claws in front of him, hoping to block the attack when Ursaring vanished. Appearing behind Gligar, Ursaring tackled him, knocking Gligar a few meters back. Gligar attempted to stand again, but fell to the ground, knocked out.

“Gligar is unable to battle,” the referee said after checking Gligar. “Ursaring is the winner!”

“This is not good,” Jessica said to herself while she recalled Gligar. She slowly reached for a Pokéball on her belt, pulling it off after contemplating it for a bit. “Quilava, I need you!”

Emerging from his Pokéball, Quilava curled into a ball, spinning quickly before landing on his feet perfectly. Ursaring wasted no time as he charged towards Quilava with his arm raised. Ursaring swung at Quilava, the Fire type jumping over his arm easily. Ursaring swung again, Quilava jumping over it to dodge again. The Normal type expected this. This time Ursaring swung upwards towards Quilava who was unable to dodge, being in the air and all. Ursaring’s giant arm hit Quilava in the gut, knocking the wind out of him.

“Toss him into the sky,” Genevieve ordered. Ursaring tossed Quilava a good fifty meters in the air, watching the Fire type helplessly fall towards the ground. “You know what to do.”

Ursaring nodded and jumped up towards Quilava, his right arm glowing. The bear brought his glowing arm down into Quilava’s gut, driving him into the ground, the earth splitting and cracking even more. Ursaring jumped back towards his trainer, the familiar orange-yellow sphere forming in his mouth. Quilava stood and attempted to run, but he tripping over his own feet, falling to the ground, watching as the beam fired and completely missed him.

“Ref,” Genevieve said, “if this continues then Quilava will most likely never be able to battle again. I suggest you name me the winner or Quilava will suffer the consequences.”

“Do you want to forfeit?” the referee asked Jessica.

Jessica bit her lip. If she forfeited then Quilava will be safe, but she would look like a chicken. If the match continued she would look strong willed and determined to win, but Quilava will never be able to battle again.

“I,” Jessica started. “I surrender.”

The crowd gasped almost as if it was planned. Jessica recalled Quilava as she fell to her knees. The crowd exploded with cheers, jeers, and the like. Cups flew through the air, drinks were spilled on people, and etc.

“That’s it folks!” the announcer shouted. “That concludes our first round! The trainers that are moving on include Kimberly Marita, Stacy Thompson, Sydnie Lake, Mio Bunea, Chad Marshall, Brandon Longeway, Jyharri Ahmed, and Genevieve Jenkins! Enjoy the rest of the festival today! I will you people tomorrow for the explosive second round!”

hey sorry i havent been around much, but i just caught up on what i missed. Great work so far, keep up the good work

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
OK! Let's do this!

Well, it took a while, but here comes the next review from me!

“Smart choice by Sydnie!” the announcer shouted. “Venomoth is weak to Psychic type attacks and Espeon is probably one of the strongest Psychic Pokémon!”

Ya know, i was gonna call you out for fanboying Espeon. Then I did a bit of research and discovered Espeon is in fact one of the strongest Psychic types out there. Outside the legendaries and ubers, it's second to only Metagross.

So, yeah. My Bad.

Shame on you, Alakazam... :(

Just like Milotic before him, Wartortle opened his mouth wide, releasing a large jet of water. The water blast Vulpix all over, knocking it out almost immediately. Brenna and the crowd was stunned to see Vulpix knocked out so quick.

Uh, why? I wouldn't be surprised. The end of that paragraph made no sense. What have the guys and gals been in school for? Dating?

“I have had my Alakazam since it was an Abra,” explained Drake. “I’ve been training him for ten years. Knowing I would come up against tough opponents in my journey I made sure Alakazam could withstand attacks that weren’t super effective. It took a couple years, but I have finally perfected it. Thank you for furthering our training. Ref, I quit this match. If this continues both Milotic and Espeon will be severely injured and I do not wish to be responsible for such monstrosity.”

“Drake Darrell quits,” the referee announced. “Sydnie wins the match!”

The crowd was silent, a few mutters heard. Sydnie was also silent, not believing what had just transpired. A clap had broken the silence of the crowd. Sydnie faced the crowd and saw Ryan standing, clapping for her. Slowly, more people joined in until most of the crowd was clapping.

“I can’t believe Drake just quit like that,” Jyharri said. “I wanted to be the one who knocked him out of this tournament. Well, now I know I’m going to win the whole thing.”

OK, several things wrong here:

1. Why the hell's Drake in this school?

2. Why would he quit when he had Sydnie so totally outclassed?

3. Why did the crowd applaud Sydnie? She did squat.

4. Why does Jyharri think he had half a chance against Drake, especially after getting walked by the guy? Sure, he's an egomaniacal half-wit, but still, arrogance can only be endured to such levels of credibility. Unless he's one of those guys whose "ignorance is too painful to watch." (Reference Mr Satan from DBZ) and the others simply turn a deaf ear when his oral diarrhoea gets going.

“Toss him into the sky,” Genevieve ordered. Ursaring tossed Quilava a good fifty meters in the air, watching the Fire type helplessly fall towards the ground. “You know what to do.”

Ursaring nodded and jumped up towards Quilava, his right arm glowing. The bear brought his glowing arm down into Quilava’s gut, driving him into the ground, the earth splitting and cracking even more. Ursaring jumped back towards his trainer, the familiar orange-yellow sphere forming in his mouth. Quilava stood and attempted to run, but he tripping over his own feet, falling to the ground, watching as the beam fired and completely missed him.

“Ref,” Genevieve said, “if this continues then Quilava will most likely never be able to battle again. I suggest you name me the winner or Quilava will suffer the consequences.”

That... was a rather scary OOC moment for sweet, gentle Genevieve. Hell truly hath no fury greater than a woman scorned, i suppose. I can do more than that as you gave no reason for her brutal change of nature, unless you mentioned it in an aside after Genevieve found out Jessica kissed Jyharri or she was always a little beast on the battle field.

Just saying that could have been elaborated more on.

All in all, one of your longest to be sure, though flat at moments when Brenna lost her bet and when Genevieve landed some smack down on Jessica. emotions weren't expounded on enough.

Flesh 'em out more next time, a'ight?

L@er!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Many thanks for the review Air Dragon and 221111. While writing this chapter sometimes when I pressed a key it wouldn't register in MS Word and I would continue on without noticing it until I looked over it.

With Genevieve's change in nature, if you were female (no offense to any ladies) and you learned one of your best friends kissed the guy you liked wouldn't you want to beat the crap out of her? Well, we all know that's not allowed in schools so she did it the only way she could; a Pokemon battle. Another reason that she turned beastly was because of length. I know this isn't an excuse, but by the time I got to her battle I was already past page thirty. I wanted to keep it shorter than forty pages at least so I had to kind of rush it with some other battles.

Brenna and Brianna are based off of these twins I know. Both of them are, for lack of a better word, dumb. I felt as if that is what they would do in that situation. I tried to emulate their lack of intelligence through their character's battle skills, or lack of. I shall take my time on the next chapter and try fleshing out the small things. If someone takes a drink I will make sure you can taste it, if someone smells something gross I will make you gag, and if someone gets hit where the sun don't shine, well I know you guys can already feel it if I add it.

I edited the first page, adding five more chapter titles. In addition to that I also separated the chapters into arcs. I got the idea from looking at Bleach episodes so much and decided to add it to my story. In need for one more idea I decided to check an old friend of mines fan fiction so I went to EonMaster One's Pokemon Revolution: Advent Phoenix thread and saw he already took the idea. Nevertheless I still added it, but now I am crediting EonMaster One as he used the idea first. One of them might be revealing as to what happens. I hope I didn't make it to obvious. Starting tomorrow I will start work on chapter 16 after I finish my Trigonometry homework. It will most likely be finished by Sunday or Monday and be posted so be sure to check back.

Until next time, Shadow Lucario is out.

Edit

Air Dragon said:
OK, several things wrong here:

1. Why the hell's Drake in this school?

He's already been there for three years before. After being there for so long he will pick up some skill. If you remember Drake from my previous fan fiction then you will learn that they are the same.

2. Why would he quit when he had Sydnie so totally outclassed?

I'm not good at making things subtle XD He was only in the tournament for more training. He could care less about the prize or winning. Or could he have ulterior motives? Is he lying? I'm not telling :x

3. Why did the crowd applaud Sydnie? She did squat.

If your Pokemon survived an onslaught from the signature Pokemon of a man who is three years older than you and somehow came back I will applaud for you. That and I figured out that if one person starts clapping more people will start. I figured that out in my Business Marketing class

4. Why does Jyharri think he had half a chance against Drake, especially after getting walked by the guy? Sure, he's an egomaniacal half-wit, but still, arrogance can only be endured to such levels of credibility. Unless he's one of those guys whose "ignorance is too painful to watch." (Reference Mr Satan from DBZ) and the others simply turn a deaf ear when his oral diarrhoea gets going.

With Jyharri, I'm setting him for major character development. First he's up top, his cocky attitude shown not to be just talk. Then he gets whomped by Drake making him somewhat disappointed, but not completely knocking him off his high horse. Once again he loses, knocking him down more. Now he meets up with a group that can possibly make him even stronger and promise him glory in the process, boosting his ego even more. If he had never lost to Drake or Brad then he would be so arrogant, so cocky, so egotistical I wouldn't continue writing about him. I probably would have killed him.

ilocar

good chapter, not exactly heavy on the description and I felt like Drake's surrender was just an excuse so that Sydnie could survive the first round to ultimately battle Jyharri later(its sloppy and obvious I don't wanna hear any cryptic reasoning or poor excuses) but otherwise everything I wanted. Although its going to be slightly draggy to keep listing battle after battle, put in some interveneing moments between rounds where the characters enjoy the festival. (I'm sure stacy wouldn't mind sharing cotton candy or a candied apple with Jyharri *wink wink*) poor twins they lose all their money and spend a single minute on the battle feild between the two of them lol. the battles better get longer later, these battles were kinda short, and I understand why. I'm just saying Jyharri and Sydnie's battle should encompass a whole chapter or most of it anyway. lol the twins seem to have been sleeping in their classes lol Linoone with all normal attacks against Gengar had no chance in hell(pun intended) only a couple spelling and grammatical errors.
in summary, good chapter, can't wait for the next one ^_^

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
ilocar said:
(I'm sure stacy wouldn't mind sharing cotton candy or a candied apple with Jyharri *wink wink*)

Have you been in my head? That's what the beginning and middle of the second chapter is XD Now I'm going to have to change it around and I know just what to do. I'm going to spend many hours today, tomorrow, and Sunday (for you people way ahead in time yesterday, today, and tomorrow) working on chapter 16 to bring it to you guys on Sunday or the latest, Monday.