1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Adventures as an anime - How would it work? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Probably the infamous scene when the Arbok is sliced in half?

Satoshi Tajiri didn't want to fill the video game world with "more pointless violence" so he made Pokémon faint instead.

But then again he also said that Pokémon Special was the closest to how he originally envisioned Pokémon to be so I guess he is contradicting himself a little. :p

shoz999 and MockingJ like this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

He said closest, not completely so without a doubt the Arbok scene doesn't quite fit.

On the animation side of things, Venusaur is the perfect Kanto starter for different animated action scenes. Remember all that talk I mentioned before how Venusaur fits Red's creative battling style because of it's diverse range of battle styles? Imagine that in animation, he would be the "Luffy" of the Pokemon series, making up for its lack of direct firepower that Charizard has with more creative input. The poison infectious spores animated up-close, the blast of solar beam surging from Venusaur's plants, the thousands of vinewhips that grab or punch it's enemy at fast speeds making even Charizard cautious, the frog-like leap boosted by it's slingshot vinewhips as it's thrown like a wrecking ball.

Now that I mention that, Venusaur sounds like the perfect Kanto starter to animate right and you know what's even better? VENUSAUR HAS THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE TO THE AUDIENCE, THE POKEMON FANS! The audience, most Pokemon fans, underestimate Venusaur. He's the underdog of the Kanto starters and the thing is I seen most of them have no clue what Venusaur even does. I've seen them absolutely surprised whenever they gather around a video that shows that Venusaur is not as slow as he looks, that he can leap, that he has lots of vines underneath that huge plant of his. Venusaur is the perfect Kanto starter for not only Red but to be animated as well! Can you imagine all the creatively fun action-packed scenes featuring Venusaur now that I've said all that? Not to mention this would be a great way to show the magic of a final evolution.

3. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Yeah, poor Venusaur always gets the boot, both in Origins and the regular anime. Ironic since it is probably the best one to use in competitive play.

Not even its creator Ken Sugimori likes it. He said in an interview that it was his least favorite Pokémon! But then again Venusaur was terrifying in Pokémon Stadium with its bloodshot eyes. I was actually a little scared of it as a kid LOL. :oops:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. shoz999

Actually Ken Sugimori's favorite Pokemon is Venusaur. He said that he doesn't like to draw it it's one of the most difficult Pokemon to draw and yeah, I remember Venusaur from Pokemon Stadium. I love those animal-like animations.

But speaking of Venusaur, I think having Venusaur as the main character's only starter Pokemon is really the best way to really do justice to Venusaur, to actually convince the majority of fans that "OH MY GOOOOOOD!? VENUSAUR IS AWESOME!?". That's one major difference that a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation would have over other popular anime adaptations in that Venusaur is actually Red's starter Pokemon. It's not Charizard, it's not Blastoise, it's Venusaur and because of that your going to see the Venusaur evolution line quite a lot, it's going to get a lot of screentime as Red's partner. The problem with the Ash & Co. anime is that Ash never evolves his Bulbasaur to it's final evolution and thus we never really get to see that maximum potential and even if they give Venusaur to a character of the day or even a major rival character showing off some cool battling skills, I don't believe that's going to be enough to prove to most fans that Venusaur is awesome. Maybe to some hardcore fans here on Serebii.net but not the general casual Pokemon audience. A major rival is still just going to appear from time to time in a few episodes in the Ash & Co. anime and a casual Pokemon fan may miss those types of episodes a lot but seeing Venusaur alongside the main character on an almost constant basis however, Venusaur starts to get noticed more and his action scenes get more and more attention that it could outshine Charizard and Blastoise.

There's also another reason why I mentioned Venusaur as the perfect Kanto Starter Pokemon candidate to be animated because it's the perfect Kanto starter Pokemon to show just how magical and amazing the final evolution could be. One thing I don't like about the Pokemon games recently is that it does feel like GameFreak doesn't think the magic of a final evolution is enough to sell Pokemon games and resort to gimmicks like Mega Evolution, Z-moves, Dynamaxing, stuff like that. With Venusaur as the main character's starter Pokemon combined with his diverse battling style getting a huge boost from Ivysaur and combined with the element of surprise since he's seen as the underdog by most Pokemon fans, this will not just show how awesome Venusaur is to a wider casual audience but will also show the magic of a final evolution, not through direct brute firepower like Charizard but through a creative use of a Pokemon's amped up powers that it leads to a more devastating effect like Venusaur.

Oh man, I love talking about how Pokemon could be animated and how powerful the animation could invoke.

5. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I thought Ken Sugimori's favorite Pokémon were Gengar and Zekrom. Mabye he changed his mind? Funny how he thought Venusaur was hard to draw but likes Zekrom which seems like one of the most complicated Pokémon to draw.

But then again he wouldn't be drawing a potential anime adaption of Pokémon Special either so I guess that is somewhat irrelevant.

6. shoz999

I recall Ken Sugimori said his favorite Pokemon is Venusaur but it's his least-favorite to draw. Gengar is also a favorite because it's the easiest Pokemon to draw and he says Zekrom is his favorite Pokemon of Gen V.

Another note, any potential voice actors you can think of for any of the Pokemon Adventures characters? I think Luci Christian would be the perfect English VA of Blue (Fem Protag) or Green in Japan. She's the English VA of Nami for the Funimation Dub of One Piece.

Actually you know what's hilarious and a lot of people agree with this. Remember or seen the video link I recommended that features potential English VAs that may seem perfect for each Pokemon Adventures main character, Gens 1 to 5. The English VA that people think would best fit main character Gold, from what I've seen anyway, is Lucian Dodge who is the English VA for jerk rival Blue (Green in Japan) of Pokemon Origins lol. That is just so perfect. If Red's rival Green (Blue in the west) is the jerk rival then Gold is the jerk hero lol.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I don't think that human characters dying would go over well, at least not in terms of on-screen deaths. Implied deaths could probably slide, but I think that a Pokemon Special anime series would likely be toned down for today's standards and that most subjects related to death and suffering would be treated with more censorship.

Redstar45, MockingJ and shoz999 like this.
  8. shoz999

So here's a question? What do you think would be a really hard scene to animate? Even for a pro team of animators?

Some FRLG spoilers but for me that would have to be the legendary battle between Mewtwo and Deoxys in FRLG. Mewtwo isn't a problem animating, it's actually Deoxys that I feel would be extremely difficult to get right because Deoxys of Pokemon Adventures is nothing like his anime counterparts in that he actually lives up to the OP stats of Pokemon competitive. Deoxys of Pokemon Adventures is fast, extremely fast even without his Speed form from not just his ghost-like movements but also his form-change. In most anime, they usually take their time showing a character switching to forms or getting upgraded right? Some close-up shots to show each body part morphing into an even stronger form basically. In the Pokemon Adventures manga, they clearly want to show that Deoxy's form-change does not slow down and they do this by showing Deoxys rapidly changing forms in quick haste in the middle of action. In fact there's this one really awesome scene that I believe would be very difficult to animate without slow-motion, where before Deoxys lands a serious blow to Mewtwo, he quickly changes into all his four forms in just microseconds just to show how MUDA! MUDA! MUDA! the situation is to Mewtwo.

9. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

hello Haruka had one in her party and not everyone is like Satoshi evolved his Fushigidane into a Fushigibana . And look i am sorry but i think it is Pokemon Company is one to decide whether or not that should be happened in any Pokemon media that should add in making the Anime projects.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. shoz999

So here's another topic of discussion, how do you think an Pokemon Adventures anime could affect the fanbase, especially the Serebii fanbase because Redstar45 here has some genuine concerns that a Pokemon Adventures anime done right surpassing the Ash & Co. anime in almost every aspect of what makes Pokemon, Pokemon, may severely hurt the audience of the Ash & Co. anime and that's quite understandable because Shonen anime like DBZ doesn't just appeal to an audience of 11 and up, it also appeals to children even younger than that. Anyone who remembers being a kid who stayed up late for the old kid-centric Toonami back than knows this is true.

With that being said, do you guys think a Pokemon Adventures anime done right can not only eat away the audience of the Ash & Co. anime but even turn the focus of discussions in the anime section less towards Ash and more towards Pokemon Adventures centric discussions where characters that are normally talked about in the manga section are now a common sight in the anime section and that got me thinking. Would a popular Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation that turns the anime section into a Pokemon Adventures-focused section hurt the manga section which also focuses on Pokemon Adventures? Grant it, it could focus on newer stuff that comes from the manga to maintain some popularity but most people prefer to watch the anime over the manga, regardless of what future content the manga holds. I do think that the weight of impact the popularity of an Pokemon Adventures anime could be big, very big.

MockingJ likes this.
  11. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

But there are some character deaths in the regular anime too. Like Hunter J for example?

But then again it was more of a boat accident rather than a murder like Maxie's death in the manga so I guess it's a little different. We get to see more violence in Hunter J's death though.

I don't think a Pokémon Special anime would be a threat to the regular anime since there is less Pikachu and nostalgia. I remember when Origins released there were less people who watched it than the episodes with Cilan/Brock.

MockingJ and shoz999 like this.
  12. shoz999

Okay, different topic. The subject of death matter. Now we must remember that the subject of death is nothing new in Shonen-focused shows and is definitely not new in shows whose audience are children, Digimon is a great example of that but what about the subject of death in the Pokemon RS chapter? Now see, I think they perfectly captured the terror that is Groudon & Kyogre through the natural disasters they've caused throughout the Hoenn region but the manga further shows that people can literally die going up against these battle-frenzied beings however the subject of death in Pokemon RS chapter is also controversial, not because of how dark or unexpected it is but how it was handled as a story.

With that being said, I do think the subject of death in Pokemon Adventures RS is some major spoilers as it's part of the ending to the RS chapter.

So there are three very important characters that have died trying to defeat Groudon & Kyogre.
    • Steven Stone passes away from the strain of controlling three legendary golems for a long period of time, almost a week perhaps.
    • Norman is dying from the strain of controlling an berserk super-ancient Pokemon, Rayquaza, for hours. His dead body is ultimately burnt by Maxie's Houndoom.
    • Magma Admin Courtney dies from a cave collapse.
    With that being said most Pokemon fans who got to this part don't have a problem with these death scenes. The problem is that these death scenes get retcon that some fans asked themselves, "What was the point of putting those death scenes in the first place?" and how those deaths get literally retcon from existence is Ruby's mysterious sixth Pokemon revealing to be Celebi from the Johto region. See where I'm going with this? Now they did built up to this Pokemon, Celebi's time travel powers does logically make Celebi the Deus Ex Machina Pokemon and this is referenced later in future arcs but this was nevertheless was felt by fans as a cheap way to end things.

However, what about this being too dark for children that it might have to be changed or removed entirely? Well actually, in terms of a death scene, these deaths are actually pretty handled well, even moreso than the Magmar death scene which I think is a "clean" death scene in the simple fact that Steven Stone and Norman collapsing from the strain of control is similar to that of a loved one passing away in his or her deathbed. If they can remove Maxie's Houndoom burning away Norman's dead body, I think this can actually work. As for Courtney, here implied death scenes happens off-screen when the cave collapses. We don't see her body crush, we just see the cave collapse and that too is a well-handled death scene that I believe children can handle.

Out of all that I mentioned, it's really only Maxie's Houndoom brutally burning Norman's body that I believe needs to be censored and I have some people disagree with me that most people won't really care about Houndoom being censored.

With that being said, honestly I think there are several ways the Pokemon Company could do this in an anime adaptation, including just leaving the subject of death alone and staying true to the manga since it's actually pretty tame.

13. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

The one thing that I'd look forward to in a potential Pokemon Special anime adaptation is seeing the Ruby and Sapphire chapter since Ruby did Contests while Sapphire participated in Gym battles. It was one of my favorite things about that arc, so I'd anticipate seeing it animated.

Togekiis, Emelie, MockingJ and 2 others like this.
  14. shoz999

So I was watching Demon Slayer and man the animation is cool, Ufotable is one of the studios that I would absolutely love to see animate Pokemon Adventures but that's not the reason why I'm bringing it up. So for those not aware, the Demon Slayer anime show is still pretty early and yet their are those die-hard manga fans who at times slip their tongue on spoilers to the point that people have joked about how anime fans are excited to see the newest episode while manga fans are about to spout out spoilers in the comment sections lol. I read the manga ahead but even then I cursed a word or two when I saw someone spoiling ahead of the story. Then it hit me when I saw a comment from the Nintendo Channel about Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, joking to here's another ten years of trying not to spoil an old classic story line which I found funny but true as it can be annoying that you can't talk about a story freely no matter how old it is because interest has been kicked up through an adaptation or a re-release.

So when it comes to the Pokemon anime featuring Ash & Co., most fans I've seen around are pretty chill with spoilers, especially more so with an episode that's just obvious filler and I see this chill attitude as a reflection of the anime's "laidback" story quality. This is not the case for Pokemon Adventures where I've seen people actually get pissed off if you spoil the story, even as early as Gens 1 or 2 which makes me wonder how fast the manga's audience is growing. I remember spoiling the heck out of the story in my early days of the Serebii forums that some people would rightfully curse at me for spoiling at me. Now I try to keep my lips shut but even then my tongue has slipped a few times and has disappointed some fans at times. So what does this have to do with a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation? That's easy, Pokemon Adventures is a more story-driven Pokemon experience and an anime adaptation that spans an year or two done right to the source material will have Pokemon fans care about spoilers instead of the commonly seen chill attitude seen for the Ash & Co. attitude. This has got me wondering if an anime adaptation does have, will some Pokemon Adventure fans who read the manga joke around how they have to keep their mouth shut about an old story arc from 1997 for the next 5 years just because of an anime adaptation or that some will go around spouting out story spoilers without a care that will nevertheless piss some people off, similar to what I've seen from Demon Slayer and honestly just about any recent anime adaptation of a manga.

So out of curiosity guys, if an Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation happens and kicks up interest in the older arcs, as readers of the manga will you keep your lips shut because of a growing surge of newer fans joining the fray or will you spoil it because these early arcs in adaptation are not the newer story arcs like as of now, SMUSUM and later Sword & Shield.

Togekiis likes this.
  15. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I'd want to see the manga story lines shortened because there was a lot of filler stuff especially in the RGB chapter. But in all honesty, we probably won't ever get an anime series based on the manga as long as the main series is still running.

Emelie and shoz999 like this.
  16. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Artwork like this: https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/1173586440061538304?s=21 and this: https://twitter.com/oka_mochi_/status/1173567220481265664?s=21 makes me wonder how Pokéspe would look animated. Yamamoto’s style looks great in the manga, but I’m not sure how well it’d translate when animated+colored. Don’t get me wrong, I love the distinct look, but if there is any anime I could see the style being tweaked a bit (in the same vein as the OG Sailor Moon) just to flow better in an anime format.

shoz999 likes this.
  17. shoz999

Or in the same vein as Demon Slayer! I freaking love that show, reading the manga right now. I especially the amazing use of the 3D camera during that mansion scene. Can you imagine the team behind Demon Slayer in charge of Black's roller coaster battle?

18. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Do you guys have any suggestions for who would voice Red, Green, Blue and Yellow if the Gen 1 chapters of Pokemon Adventures ever get an animated series?

Firefo×Fennekin and shoz999 like this.
  19. shoz999

This link goes to a video featuring the voice work of English VAs imagined for each character up to Gen 5 and the recommended voice work is so good that it's hard not to unhear it when you read the manga.
    • Red - Michael Sinterniklaass, you may know his voice work as the main character of Summer Wars which was animated by the same guy who did the Digimon Movie.
    • Green (Rival) - Johnny Young Bosch who did the voice of Brock from Pokemon Origins. It's not as cocky as Gary but you get a sense of maturity and experience from this voice which are characteristics that Green does have. Throw in a bit of cocky behavior in there and you got Green.
    • Blue (Fem Protag) - Luci Christian who did the funimation voice work of Nami from One Piece. I don't think I need to explain this one if you know who Nami is lol.
    • Yellow - Laura Bailey who did the voice work for Maka Albarn from Soul Eater. Personally I think she's perfect for the role.
    Of course this is just English VAs. My knowledge is a bit lacking in Japanese VAs, any suggestions guys?

MockingJ likes this.
  20. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Demon Slayer is absolutely fantastic, and the animation is a huge part of my love for it. It’s just so gorgeous all of the time, and it’s partially helped by the unique art style, which is really well-utilized. Because it’s so stylized, everything flows so well. Spe already has a style similar to it in terms of how creative and unique it is, so a studio like Ufotable would know how to handle an adaption well. That near flawless 3D camera they use would make that scene look perfect tbh.

I’m the opposite lol. But here’s a list of VA’s I personally feel would be great:

• Red- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (most recently Inosuke, actually) fits Red like a glove; he’d be a perfect casting choice.
    • Green- Nobuhiko Okamoto is the perfect choice for him. He already voices Gladion, so hypothetically I don’t know if that’d work, but listening to him just instantly makes me think of Green. Kaito Ishikawa would be good too.
    • Blue- Haruka Tomatsu would be my pick; her genderbent Gintoki sounds just like how I’d imagine Blue to sound.
    • Yellow- Ari Ozawa would be so fitting, as her voice can flip-flip between a bit boyish (Kurumi from School Live, Sakura from Nozaki-Kun) and very cutesy (Hina from BanG Dream, Wakaba in Wakaba Girl), which is necessary for Yellow. I’d also love to see Aya Uchida voice her, if you know Kotori from Love Live you’d see why.

shoz999 likes this.